[.24.2] DISCONTINUED July-27- Asteroid Cities V2.0

dtobi

I am sending a expedition with a couple of claws to my new testing asteroid. I'll try to get a hold on the problem. For now, please assume the claws are single use only.

Hope to bring good news soon.

Awesome I'm glad you are making an update so quick :) , I also like how you said "Im sending an expedition", it made me think of kerbals going on a camping trip :D

It's a shame the pivot couldn't be free to move about during the docking. A lot of the grabs I've seen with the Philly have only one or two touch points making contact, with the third one "hung" above the surface. It's more a visual thing, I realize, but it visually looks odd.

Looking forward to the update.

Yeah this happens alot doesn't it, it's like the asteroid has a larger hitbox than the model

OK... I just uploaded an update:

V0.5 Fix for reattachment of grabbers (hopefully)

- Grabbers should now be attachable multiple times

- Improved grabber collision meshes for better grabbing

- Turned Philly and large grabber around so that "control from here" works better

Would someone test an confirm it works.

BTW. The grabbers should now be grabbier. Hope that works well for everyone, too.

Aaah.. and yes: the pivoth thing works as before.

IMPORTANT:

- The new grabbers are turned around. If you have ships in space or can't load your assembly, you can bring back your old grabbers by copying them back from the "Legacy" folder to the "Gamedata" folder.

It should work now. For everyone who already downloaded: please re-download. I had not fixed the old (inverted) grabbers. So the bug was still there for them. It should be OK now even for the legacy grabbers.

OK... I just uploaded an update:

V0.5 Fix for reattachment of grabbers (hopefully)

- Grabbers should now be attachable multiple times

- Improved grabber collision meshes for better grabbing

- Turned Philly and large grabber around so that "control from here" works better

Would someone test an confirm it works.

BTW. The grabbers should now be grabbier. Hope that works well for everyone, too.

Aaah.. and yes: the pivoth thing works as before.

IMPORTANT:

- The new grabbers are turned around. If you have ships in space or can't load your assembly, you can bring back your old grabbers by copying them back from the "Legacy" folder to the "Gamedata" folder.

Woo! :D Thanks Dtobi

Updated and tried again. The water extraction JUST WONT WORK. Efficiency is 0. There are others with Interstellar installed who are able to run it. What am I doing wrong?

I looked at your pictures again. What is that AGM button in your refinery context menu?

Action Group Manager

Have you already tried a clean install and if it works, adding your plugins one by one? I suspect it might be a plugin incompatibility since few others (anyone?) seem to have that problem. I can't reproduce it either.

Another issue to report, the Bunker digs in but seemingly does not create the super strong SAS (it just stays the same as it does when it isn't dug in) and does not have any apparent way to store 3 kerbals.

Have you dug in via the context menu and did the smoke animation play?

Have you dug in via the context menu and did the smoke animation play?

Nope, no smoke animation only a countdown and then nothing. Also the philly probe won't attach for me. Tried it at 1 m/s, 10 m/s and even 20 m/s. Nothing. There is nothing under it and was never anything under it in construction.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, installed wrong.

Edited by StormWolf

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm seeing what I can do with your .cfgs to make things a little more realistic to use with RO/RSS and RealFuels (cracking water into LiquidH2 and LiquidOxygen). RO resource values are all 1 KSP unit = 1 Liter. With this assignment, the amount of water in asteroids needs to be increased by something like 3 orders of magnitude. I would increase this in asteroid.cfg, but it seems like the majority of an asteroid's water is assigned on analysis, and the ratio of water units per asteroid mass units is not exposed in a cfg. Do you think you could change that?

EDIT: Also, after setting the default Water amount in asteroid.cfg to 100,000, analysis doesn't seem to change the amount in the asteroid.

Edited by curiousepic

very interesting mod, I'll add it to my game.

how about supporting connected living space. it would allow you to dig tunnels through that potatoroid to connect several command bunkers. maybe it would even allow to build storagefacilities inside that thing.

means: you analyse the structure of the "ship" and if there are for example 3 bunker modules deployed inside the same asteroid, it will increase the amount of supported kerbals by adding an internal room, aswell as you could add fuel, life support supply storage and so on to the inner part of the asteroid. more bunkers could mean drastically larger storage inside the asteroid. with extraplanetary launchpads installed, you could also require metal or rocketparts to build those internal structures.

and I think, that bunker could be very interesting for planets/moons aswell. land it, deploy it (I think about a connection KAS does with the ground pylon), connect it with a KAS-pipe to the rest of the station, and you have a very simple and not too heavy 5 kerbal long term station.

it's a very fine mod that doesn't need many parts to be fascinating.

and it's interesting together with the CELSS-greenhouse, as your greenhouse makes oxygen and food out of water (and fertilizier + carbon from the asteroid I guess) and his greenhouse generates food, water and oxygen out of their respective waste-products.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It is greate Mod! I have question, is there limitation for number of connected ships to single asteroid (i.e. E-class)? I landed engine unit (with Klaw), scanner with Philli and two Bunkers, and I cannot land another Bunker (4 was planned). I'm I just unskilful or is this some kind of feature/bug?

Hi,

It is greate Mod! I have question, is there limitation for number of connected ships to single asteroid (i.e. E-class)? I landed engine unit (with Klaw), scanner with Philli and two Bunkers, and I cannot land another Bunker (4 was planned). I'm I just unskilful or is this some kind of feature/bug?

It's probably a bug.

Hi,

It's probably a bug.

It's probably not a bug with this mod. I've had more than ten things grabbed onto an asteroid with this mod. But we will never know without a output_log.txt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.