[.24.2] DISCONTINUED July-27- Asteroid Cities V2.0

dtobi

so by deffault asteroids have 1000 units of water, does this amount increase with the size of the asteroid?

The base amount does not, the increase detected by the philly gabber is determined by asteroid mass.

A question of my own based on the same topic; The Philly lander adds the resource "Water" to the asteroid, is it possible to rename this resource for my own use? I am trying to make it compatible with Interstellars "LqdWater" I have adjusted the standard asteroid resources to meet my mod list already.

i just manualy went into intersteelar and changed all lqdwater into water there around 10-13 instances of it havent had a chance to test if just changing kspi to water works yet thou.

The base amount does not, the increase detected by the philly gabber is determined by asteroid mass.

A question of my own based on the same topic; The Philly lander adds the resource "Water" to the asteroid, is it possible to rename this resource for my own use? I am trying to make it compatible with Interstellars "LqdWater" I have adjusted the standard asteroid resources to meet my mod list already.

Just edit asteroid.cfg and change:

RESOURCE

{

name = Water

amount = 1000

maxAmount = 1000

}

to

RESOURCE

{

name = LqdWater

amount = 1000

maxAmount = 1000

}

that should work.

Will that change the resource added by the philly detector, or just the initial (non-philly found) resources in the asteroid?

Or have I misunderstood and the 1000 IS the philly detected resource?

so by undocking and re docking with the asteroid wecan have unlimited water?

Will that change the resource added by the philly detector, or just the initial (non-philly found) resources in the asteroid?

Or have I misunderstood and the 1000 IS the philly detected resource?

It will change both. For each resource with 1000 units, Philly detects up to 1/3 of the asteroid's mass. It can do that once per asteroid.

- - - Updated - - -

so by undocking and re docking with the asteroid wecan have unlimited water?

Nope. It just works once.

Nope. It just works once.

Thank you ,its a small but an awesome mod, although i dont use life support so greenhouse is compleately unusuable. i wish that asteroid"command" capsule is more .. open to utility,we cant add anything below adding anything up makes windows useless, i dont like it when that happens, basicly lots of restrictions regarding that item. also could it be possible for the underside of the capsule to animate a deeper dig prosedure? when i dock an asteroid with steep hiills i can see the underside of the cockpit, or same stuff hapens with smaller asteroids basicly looks like part "floats" arround the asteroid.

dtobi,

You need to look at the way the packages are "zipped". I'm getting the following message when I try to unpack each one:

I'm not a MSWin user, I use Linux Mint 17, 64-bit.

I rezipped all (see files with "otherzip") Is this better?

I rezipped all (see files with "otherzip") Is this better?

Sorry, dtobi. I'm still getting an error dialog box with the "new" zips. What program were you using before now? Can you try using that archiver again?

Just edit asteroid.cfg and change:

RESOURCE

{

name = Water

amount = 1000

maxAmount = 1000

}

to

RESOURCE

{

name = LqdWater

amount = 1000

maxAmount = 1000

}

that should work.

Argh,

I just relized this won't work. I'll change the code so that it works in the next update.

Hi,

Someone mentioned ICE; I also think this would make more sense; it was ice they found on the moon not water right?

Also, I dont think you can get fuel from water chemically speaking; at first I thought ya gamewise but realistically...I dont know what Interstellar is doing I havnt got that far into the game yet.

Perhaps some other components should be required for fuel conversions. I dont know about changing Interstellar cfgs to water; sounds interesting.

Cmdr Zeta

Hi,

Someone mentioned ICE; I also think this would make more sense; it was ice they found on the moon not water right?

Also, I dont think you can get fuel from water chemically speaking; at first I thought ya gamewise but realistically...I dont know what Interstellar is doing I havnt got that far into the game yet.

Perhaps some other components should be required for fuel conversions. I dont know about changing Interstellar cfgs to water; sounds interesting.

Cmdr Zeta

Actually it is feasible realistically. One of the big thoughts for sea-launched rockets was a tender ship equipped with a nuclear reactor to utilize electrolysis on sea water. The split hydrogen and oxygen would then be compressed and used for fuel in the rocket. This meant that the rocket could be towed out to the launch site empty (aka much lighter and therefore much easier to tow) then filled with fuel and lifted to launch position.

This also works for in game, since the exact chemicals for fuel are not defined. It does not even have to be one specific type of fuel, it may be several different types of fuel. However even with the normal LF and oxidizer, LF could really just be liquid hydrogen and it would still work for the jet engines with the right engineering.

Obviously the same process could be used in space with ice or water, it just might take an extra step.

Edited by PringleMan

• 2 weeks later...

Like the idea behind this mod, though I've been experiencing numerous bugs with it. I'm running it alongside only the Module Manager on Windows 32-bit. When using the Philly, the asteroid I connected with was reproduced several times, meaning that there ended up being five copies of the asteroid in the same place, all with the same name. I didn't notice any clipping issues on the asteroid model, so I think it must have been copies of the asteroid data without a mesh attached. Is this a result of making a new asteroid containing the water that was found in it?

At the same time, I found myself unable to use any menu functions, and had to reset the game. This may be due to the multiple-asteroid bug, though.

Also, once the parts disarm, they cannot be re-armed, which is very inconvenient if you have to relocate for targetting the center of mass.

for some reason this is the only one of your mods that crashes my game when i try to load into a saved game :(

I know i have a fair few mods installed but the game is as stable as you can expect the x64 game to be with all my mods installed until i put the "Klockheed_Martian" base folder or the "Klockheed_Martian_Asteroid" folder into the gamedata folder then i cant load a saved game as the game just freezes and crashes however the "Klockheed_Martian_SSE" and "Klockheed_Martian_SmartParts" folders work perfectly in the gamedata folder.

error log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ackbg21yq7xkws/output_log.txt?dl=0

• 2 weeks later...

A ran into a mass error with a very small class A recently. I have the probe claw, docked onto the asteroid and hit analyse. Mechjeb start showing a negative mass (it was 4.8t rock + probe) and this is from the KSP.log

[LOG 15:36:44.578] Found roid. Analyzing

[LOG 15:36:44.579] Mass before:2.886098

[LOG 15:36:44.579] Water density:0.001797775

[LOG 15:36:44.580] Mass after:1.088324

[LOG 15:36:50.797] Found roid. Analyzing

[LOG 15:36:50.798] Mass before:1.088324

[LOG 15:36:50.798] Water density:0.001797775

[LOG 15:36:50.798] Mass after:-0.7094507

[LOG 15:36:53.165] Found roid. Analyzing

[LOG 15:36:53.166] Mass before:-0.7094507

[LOG 15:36:53.166] Water density:0.001797775

[LOG 15:36:53.167] Mass after:-2.507225

[ERR 15:36:53.176] Body::setMass: mass is -0.709451, should be positive!

[ERR 15:36:53.193] Body::setMass: mass is -0.709451, should be positive!

[ERR 15:36:53.210] Body::setMass: mass is -0.709451, should be positive!

No stack trace in the KSP_data log, just the same messages as here. Swapping back to space center then to the rock again fixes it, the mass is back to 4.8t. I tried with some other asteroids and they also show mass changes every time you hit analyse, I just hadn't noticed before because they didn't go negative.

Also having a great deal of trouble getting the command bunker to dock onto an asteroid. It's armed (the animation happened and I see the menu point change from arm to disarm) and hitting square onto the face at 0.2 to 0.4m/s but it just bounces off. I've tried swapping back to the space center and returning but it just will not grab on. The log file only has

[ERR 21:22:07.316] NpScene::createJoint: desc.isValid() fails!

[ERR 21:22:07.316] NpScene::createJoint: desc.isValid() fails!

no stack traces or anything more descriptive. I ended up just throwing the bunker away. The next item down the stack docked first time without problems using the 2.5m claw.

Edited by Ratzap

I recently tried establishing an outpost on an asteroid. However upon attempting to attach a command bunker the bunker wouldn't attach. I made sure the bunker was armed and tried pressing 'Dig In' several times. I haven't tried using the 2.5 meter claw but the Philly works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

weird bug, probably not adjusted correctly:

I have asteroid cities (current version downloaded for .24.2) and TAC-LS 0.9

and I brought back a nice big potatoroid (class E) to kerbin SOI and started harvesting the water. and then I came with my big spaceship to fill up its lifesupport-storage. and guess what, it gave me equally 1 food and 1 oxygen unit per I don't know how much water.

10000 units food is quite an amount, but 10000u oxygen is barely enough for the crew to breath.

any way to fix the amount of oxygen without crawling around in the persistent.cfg?

if that behavior is intended, I'll bring a water splitter to the station to generate more oxygen.

ART is more along the lines of using Asteroids as "storage tanks".

This is a gross, GROSS oversimplification. ART converts the asteroid mass to rock, then that rock can be converted into Karbonite, Ore, Minerals, Substrate, or Water (Karbonite and EPL). The remaining volume can then be used as storage, yes, but the initial processing of the rock yields many possible things.

How well these two mods work together is something I've been wondering about actually. I've been avoiding using the Klockheed Martian one because I'm already using EPL and the rest of Roverdude's mods. What I'm curious about is whether there's a way to use these parts without all the extra water mechanics, because the parts themselves would be great to use with ART.

• 3 weeks later...

After one year of developing and maintaining mods for KSP, it is time to move on for me.

I will release the code and models into the public domain if anyone is interested. Please just drop me a message if you are interested in taking over the development and maintenance for this mod or if you would like to use its code or models in other mods.

It was a pleasure to work with you guys!

dtobi

After one year of developing and maintaining mods for KSP, it is time to move on for me.

I will release the code and models into the public domain if anyone is interested. Please just drop me a message if you are interested in taking over the development and maintenance for this mod or if you would like to use its code or models in other mods.

It was a pleasure to work with you guys!

dtobi

Thank you very much for all that you have contributed to tke KSP community. Without you, we'd still be building weird shuttles, fiddling with the thrust limiters in-flight. I wish you all the best on your future journeys.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.