What is your most unstable ship ever in KSP?

I think most of use have built spacecrafts that wobble so much you'd think it's placed on top of a table with one leg. I remember when I first built with large radial size parts... What are your most unstable crafts?

I was launching a section for a friend's space station in KMP which consisted of reaction wheels and a ton of batteries (I don't remember the exact storage, but it was quite high.) That thing was about as wobbly as the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, with about a 60Ëš bend (total, including both ends) during liftoff. I'm frankly amazed I managed to dock it without any structural failures.

I was experimenting with the kerbodyne parts while flying a refueling pod. It got some sort of resonance frequency thing going on when I hit the SAS and started blowing up on the pad. The second try made it about 50 meters then started exploding.

Eventually it got up, but I'm getting pretty quick on the "revert" button.

My asteroid base has a constant wobbling probelm since these D-class rocks apparently want their freedom back. I could barely get them into Kerbin orbit, and later had to evacuate the station because it was simply too risky.

There is the slinky ship of 100 donuts tanks. Incredibly flexible as it whips around like a wet noodle. If matched with the right engine and flown carefully, it can achieve orbit.

Aul5Riz.jpg

Q5b6jcg.jpg

Another ship is made using a NovaPunch 7 to 1 adapter. Long tanks under it start dancing around knocking off the engines and other parts, then, it starts walking down the launch pad to parts unknown.

JwDwNyy.jpg

7ugIeLx.jpg

i5I77u9.jpg

3TmjPAx.jpg

I have no idea what holds that together.

Add one set of braces on the base and this ship flies OK.

Edited by SRV Ron

My most unstable craft was not due to wobble. I strapped an airplane into a rocket and tried to get it to Laythe. I wrecked the thing about 50 times trying to figure out how to make it work. Wound up putting gigantic wings on it and flying it out of the atmosphere more like an SSTO then a rocket. Then I had to deal with constantly rebalancing fuel and maneuvering the terribly balanced transfer stage during the eight minute burn out of Kerbin. It was very challenging, but eventually it worked!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My most unstable does not have a screenshot because it exploded too fast. But long story short, it pretended to be stable all the way up to orbit, but on the way back turned into a veritable mechanical Kraken and then self-destructed.

My most unstable ship was an Ares I stock replica with the new ARM parts and SRB's. It would fly perfectly until the gravity turn, where a combination of lag, wobbling, and general incompetence on my part sent the craft into a spin and tore it apart. Luckily my LES (with boost fairing) worked perfectly and the kerbals lived to tell the tale.

I've heard that the Ares I was more stable flying backwards. Is this true?

Unstable ships, tehe

There was this one from a distant past, I call it 'The Somewhat Insane Space Wheel'

Kerbal_SISW_Wobble.gif

Thread: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/22251-Showcase-SPACE-STATIONS!-Post-your-pictures-here/page49?p=531483&viewfull=1#post531483

One of the flights was so memorable I turned it into a short story

I've been playing with SSTOs recently, one is perfect for this thread. I'll post some pics of 'Flappy Bird' later :)

I have a plane I named the Condor... simply because after about 1000m, the physics went wonky and any sort of adjustments to pitch caused the wings to flap... a lot. Like flap 30 degrees up, and down, of 0. Oh and the nose of the plane would bob 50 degrees up and down of 0. Still got to space... somehow.

I know I had one that had all the boosters whipping back and forth like metronomes. My pilots must think all of my spaceships are unstable, because they always look like they think they are about to die while going up, before orbit.

One time I made an Orion inspired ship (For some reason the launcher looked somewhat like a Falcon Heavy) and on return to Kerbin I tried to decouple the service module but it got stuck. And then the whole thing just spun around like crazy. I think the decoupling sequence accidentally because the little escape system I stuck in it (Any allegations that I used part clipping will resulting in a firm angry glare.)

Also. If you search through my started threads you will see my horrible attempt at making fairings that ended with something horrible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.