[WIP] Reconfigurable Tanks and Planetary Tanks

RoverDude

So one of the things I need to build out for Hollow Asteroids is the ability to dynamically allocate storage space in a part (since you could fill your asteroid with Kethane, snacks, whatever). I've decided to knock this out as both an open API, and also just for fun, to do an offshoot of Hollow Asteroids that lets you mine massive storage spaces in the crust of a planet or moon.

It works by attaching resource 'ports' to a 'tank' that has a definition of both available and mazimum capacity (i.e. as you mine it out). These can then be tweaked, expanding and contracting the space allocated to each port relative to the tank's overall capacity (visualize a barrel filled with a handful of large balloons - as you contract a balloon, it changes the available space for other baloons to expand into).

Also looking at how to use the same concept to let the user create dynamic IVS-enabled caverns or wet workspaces based on used capacity (Just don't fill it back up with LFO with Jeb inside).

Obligatory screenshot:

bV0iFmG.png?1

There's a central tank with a dozen compartments, and three 'ports' attached. Works a treat once launched, working on handling IVA, then doing some fun tweaking with COM calculations.

Usual caveat - working textures, models, etc. (but I will keep the idea of embedding the label on the port so you can easily see what resources your tank is full of.

Other use cases - Ferry out Kethane, replenish with LFO. Or swap out your supply run of life support supplies and fill up with LFO, all without having to move the mass of empty tanks. Also fun things like custom fuel mixes for spaceplanes with a single tank, etc.

Quick update

Working on the code for Planetary Storage. Essentially, how it works is this:

You would land a module that would drill out an ever expanding useable area under the planet's crust. Attach a port, allocate storage space, and begin filling it. Now, here's the fun part. Because I also have the Proximity Logistics module from MKS, you could have ships land nearby, dip a part into the ground, and transfer in the resources without having to be connected (i.e. by using KAS, docking ports, etc.)

awesome plan, Rover. Real Logistics ferry runs would be possible with that.

Maybe make those reconfigurable tanks have a switch which when activates states that the tank will be ignored to supply the ferry´s engines with fuel ?

so that the payload will always be payload, not fuel that can be used...

so that the payload will always be payload, not fuel that can be used...

Well, you could just disable the fuel crossfeed, assuming that KSP sees them as normal tanks.

• 3 weeks later...

You can do that with any fuel tank in the game already. It's the icon on the right side of the fuel display when you right click a fuel tank. It predates other tweakables by quite a few versions, I believe.

Looking forward to this myself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.