[1.3 & 1.2] KSP-AVC Add-on Version Checker Plugin 1.1.6.2 - MiniAVC - KSP-AVC Online (2016-10-13)

cybutek

Ok I am probably doing something silly/wrong/etc:

Here is a link to my current version file on Github:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/blob/master/GameData/CommunityResourcePack/CRP.version

Here is the current config on disk:

{
"NAME":"Community Resource Pack",
"URL":"https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/blob/master/GameData/CommunityResourcePack/CRP.version"
"DOWNLOAD":"https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/releases"
"GITHUB":{
"USERNAME":"BobPalmer",
"REPOSITORY":"CommunityResourcePack",
"ALLOW_PRE_RELEASE":false,
},
"VERSION":{
"MAJOR":0,
"MINOR":1,
"PATCH":0,
"BUILD":0
},
"KSP_VERSION":{
"MINOR":24,
"PATCH":2
},
"KSP_VERSION_MIN":{
}
"KSP_VERSION_MAX":{
}
}

Yet I get no prompt for the new version?

Ok I am probably doing something silly/wrong/etc:

Here is a link to my current version file on Github:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/blob/master/GameData/CommunityResourcePack/CRP.version

Here is the current config on disk:

{
"NAME":"Community Resource Pack",
"URL":"https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/blob/master/GameData/CommunityResourcePack/CRP.version"
"DOWNLOAD":"https://github.com/BobPalmer/CommunityResourcePack/releases"
"GITHUB":{
"USERNAME":"BobPalmer",
"REPOSITORY":"CommunityResourcePack",
},
"VERSION":{
"MINOR":1,
"PATCH":0,
"BUILD":0
},
"KSP_VERSION":{
},
"KSP_VERSION_MIN":{
}
"KSP_VERSION_MAX":{
}
}

Yet I get no prompt for the new version?

I'm actually working on KSP-AVC right now implementing some more stuff. I've found the bug which is causing you problems and it'll be fixed shortly :)

I'm actually working on KSP-AVC right now implementing some more stuff. I've found the bug which is causing you problems and it'll be fixed shortly :)

Have some rep for being awesome.

Side question - is there a way to tell my users 'I want to see a screenshot of your KSP-AVC screen showing all versions of installed mods'? That would both help me troubleshoot, and encourage adoption because it is now easier for us to see what stuff is out there.

Version 1.1.4.1 is now available!

Fixed: Log spam.

Fixed: Checking window staying open after displaying the first run / updated window.

Added: Drop down action menu support allowing for multiple actions per add-on.

Added: Change log support, allowing the player to view the add-on's change log.

Added: Drop down list showing all KSP-AVC ready add-ons on loading and main menu.

Changed: Versions will always have the minimum formatting of 'x.x'.

Fixed: Issue with non-RAW GitHub version file hosting, extending the url formatter.

Fixed: Bug where it would do a re-check when reloading the database.

MiniAVC updated to 1.0.2.2

Changed: Versions will always have the minimum formatting of 'x.x'.

Fixed: Issue with non-RAW GitHub version file hosting, extending the url formatter.

Updated KSP-AVC Online

Versions now have a field for the URL to your change log file. This file should be a plain text file as it is displayed within the game without formatting.

Note that if you are creating your version files manually, it is possible to embed a change log into it using the 'CHANGE_LOG' field as an alternative to using the 'CHANGE_LOG_URL' field to fetch it from the internet. Change log information is only gathered using the details contained within the remote version file, not the local one.

Edited by cybutek

I assume that comes with the mini/bundled version?

No... MiniAVC only has the basic update checker. It was never meant to be feature rich, otherwise it'll get really bloated and hard to maintain. For the extra functionality the full plugin will be required. The bundled version is supposed to be used as a safety net, not a replacement.

No... MiniAVC only has the basic update checker. It was never meant to be feature rich, otherwise it'll get really bloated and hard to maintain. For the extra functionality the full plugin will be required. The bundled version is supposed to be used as a safety net, not a replacement.

That's what I figured - which is totally cool, I'll just start 'encouraging' people to download this first since it makes my life so much easier. That little pop-up screen is pretty much exactly what I need for support.

Hey,

great plugin!

RoverDude made some not so subtle threats to me, so I´m integrating AVC into my mod right now:)

I´ve got a little problem with using the .version file on github. My version file in the mod folder:

{
"NAME":"Map Resource Overlay",
"URL":"https://github.com/Cyrik/MapResourceOverlay/master/GameData/MapResourceOverlay/MapResourceOverlay.version",
"DOWNLOAD":"https://github.com/Cyrik/MapResourceOverlay/releases",
"GITHUB":
{
"USERNAME":"Cyrik",
"REPOSITORY":"MapResourceOverlay",
}
"CHANGE_LOG_URL":"",
"VERSION":{"MAJOR":0,"MINOR":2,"PATCH":1,"BUILD":0},
"KSP_VERSION":{"MAJOR":0,"MINOR":24,"PATCH":2}
}

version file in github:

[TABLE="class: highlight tab-size-8 js-file-line-container"]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"]{[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-num js-line-number, align: right"][/TD]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "NAME":"Map Resource Overlay",[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "URL":"http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=23",[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "DOWNLOAD":"https://github.com/Cyrik/MapResourceOverlay/releases",[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "GITHUB":[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] {[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "USERNAME":"Cyrik",[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "REPOSITORY":"MapResourceOverlay",[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "ALLOW_PRE_RELEASE":false,[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] }[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "CHANGE_LOG_URL":"",[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "VERSION":{"MAJOR":0,"MINOR":2,"PATCH":2,"BUILD":0},[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"] "KSP_VERSION":{"MAJOR":0,"MINOR":24,"PATCH":2}[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code js-file-line"]}[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Somehow the game is not showing me that there is a new version with miniAVC. It does work if i link to http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=23 .I'm guessing the problem is that I have two different URLS in there?

@Cyrik, one issue is that you should be linking to "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Cyrik/MapResourceOverlay/master/GameData/MapResourceOverlay/MapResourceOverlay.version". Note the githubusercontent.com instead of github.com. That's probably not causing your problem though...

I have a small problem to report in the latest version (v1.1.4.1): http://i.imgur.com/Fk4CNan.png. The window is really tall and narrow when reporting a compatibility issue. It was fine when it reported mods with newer versions available.

It also completely locks up my whole computer when checking the 15 "KSP-AVC ready" mods I have installed. I cannot browse in another window during the update check. Once it finishes, everything is fine. But until then... This has been an annoyance for a while now, not just the latest version or two, but it is starting to really annoy me as I install more compatible mods. This might be the problem. Please don't just spin while waiting.

Log file, in case it helps.

EDIT: spinning on the isDone check does seem to be the issue. I tried out a fix, and sent you a pull request.

Edited by TaranisElsu

@Cyrik, one issue is that you should be linking to "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Cyrik/MapResourceOverlay/master/GameData/MapResourceOverlay/MapResourceOverlay.version". Note the githubusercontent.com instead of github.com. That's probably not causing your problem though...

Yeah thank you, i forgot to change that back after checking if this might work over the raw link. Sadly both are broken.

EDIT: spinning on the isDone check does seem to be the issue. I tried out a fix, and sent you a pull request.

I've merged your pull request.

@Cyrik

When you have a GitHub repository specified in the version file, it will only show that there is an update if there is a release with the same version available. The version file clearly states 0.2.2 but there is no 0.2.2 release on GitHub, only 0.2.1. The GitHub part of the version file is there for synchronisation purposes. So players don't get premature update notifications when you commit a new version file, and have not yet packaged a release.

@Cyrik

When you have a GitHub repository specified in the version file, it will only show that there is an update if there is a release with the same version available. The version file clearly states 0.2.2 but there is no 0.2.2 release on GitHub, only 0.2.1. The GitHub part of the version file is there for synchronisation purposes. So players don't get premature update notifications when you commit a new version file, and have not yet packaged a release.

mhh then either i´m doing something very wrong or its bugged. even when i take out the github part i dont get a new version warning. when i put http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=23 in the url field i do get the warning. the version file in bot places is the same now other then some whitespace.

while i´m here: the license is saying miniAVC has to be distributed with its license.txt file. i really dont mind, but i dont want to clutter my install dir to clutter with 10 license files and have to rename them so they dont clash. is there some way around that?

Edited by Cyrik

while i´m here: the license is saying miniAVC has to be distributed with its license.txt file. i really dont mind, but i dont want to clutter my install dir to clutter with 10 license files and have to rename them so they dont clash. is there some way around that?

I'm happy for anyone who uses MiniAVC to just add a bit of a blurb in their own readme file stating that it's GPLv3 with a link to the full license. If your mod already uses GPLv3 or an equivilant copy-left then all the simpler. But all licenses have the same problems in this case. Even the super left MIT license says that it must be included.

Oh and I include my readme and license files outside of the folder that is to be copied over into the GameData directory. They are more visible when you open up the zip this way, but believe it or not it's not mandatory that you have to extract a whole zip file. You can just drag out the folder leaving the documentation where it is :P

Edited by cybutek

ah after a bit of testing: the URL field has to point to itself for it to work. If the URL differs you never get a version warning. so either fix that or if its a feature, be careful when switching the place you put your version file.

ah after a bit of testing: the URL field has to point to itself for it to work. If the URL differs you never get a version warning. so either fix that or if its a feature, be careful when switching the place you put your version file.

The URL field in the local version file has to point exactly at its remote equivilant, yes. It doesn't use magic to find where it's located :D

Version 1.1.4.2 is now available!

Changed: Done a lot of under the hood refactoring.

Fixed: Bug that would freeze the computer when checking many add-ons.

Fixed: Bug that caused the compatibility display to show as a long thin window.

MiniAVC has also been updated to 1.0.2.3:

Changed: Done a lot of under the hood refactoring.

Fixed: Bug that would freeze the computer when checking many add-ons.

The URL field in the local version file has to point exactly at its remote equivilant, yes. It doesn't use magic to find where it's located :D

errm no, well yes, but i mean the remote one and the local one have to both point at the same one:) if your local one points to github and github points to somewhere else it breaks, at least for me. or it might be that the remote one has to point onto itself. havent done enough testing to distinguish which it is

errm no, well yes, but i mean the remote one and the local one have to both point at the same one:) if your local one points to github and github points to somewhere else it breaks, at least for me. or it might be that the remote one has to point onto itself. havent done enough testing to distinguish which it is

Well, duh. The remote one is supposed to belong to the updated version - when you download the new version, the remote one becomes local. I don't understand how it could work any different.

Well, duh. The remote one is supposed to belong to the updated version - when you download the new version, the remote one becomes local. I don't understand how it could work any different.

In my case i was playing around with having the remote one at github or somewhere else. thats why the github one was pointing to somewhere else, so i could make the switch in the following version. Its not a big deal, was just surprised that it matters at all where the remote one is pointing and even more surprised that it has to point to itself to work at all. I guess it doesnt matter if you dont have the version file inside your version control system. might be a stupid place for it anyway:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.