[1.3 & 1.2] KSP-AVC Add-on Version Checker Plugin 1.1.6.2 - MiniAVC - KSP-AVC Online (2016-10-13)

cybutek

Possible feature request: Would it be possible/feasible to add a simple form to the KSP-AVC website, which mod authors could use to automatically generate their version file, then download it, along with the most current version of the .dlls, which could then just be added as a final step to packaging the mod for release?

Edited by Stone Blue

On 5/1/2016 at 6:04 PM, Stone Blue said:

Possible feature request: Would it be possible/feasible to add a simple form to the KSP-AVC website, which mod authors could use to automatically generate their version file, then download it, along with the most current version of the .dlls, which could then just be added as a final step to packaging the mod for release?

Already exists: http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/?page=My_Versions

Click "create a new version" then fill in the boxes.  Then click on "raw" next to your mod to download the .version file.

FdPE46T.png

• 2 weeks later...

@cybutek

Anyone know why KSP-AVC now thinks that a number of mods are out of date? It seems to think some mods are the most current release but meant for 1.1, not 1.1.2. Not only is this not true, but it never claimed this until I started KSP tonight. All of the mods that it is saying are not updated for 1.1.2 in fact are updated for 1.1.2, and it previously used to show that they were in fact updated (no warning in the middle of the screen, and green text on the box on the left). I don't know what could of happened to have caused this; I have not updated KSP-AVC recently, nor have I updated or changed the highlighted mods in any way since I originally downloaded those updates, and AVC saw that they were the most current.

It just all of the sudden thinks a number of mods are meant for an older version of KSP for some reason. It didn't use to think this. I have selected the mods in the red boxes as the ones that it thinks this. You can clearly see for yourself, with a search of the forums, that those versions of those mods are actually the most current, and all have been updated for 1.1.2.

http://imgur.com/sZA0TrbTrb

Edit: Added tag in hopes of easier to locate needed support

Edited by KocLobster

@cybutek

Are version files with additional entries (not just those mentioned in the "Version File Breakdown") still valid?

Would you say that this JSON-Schema correctly describes a Version file's contents?

https://gist.github.com/janbrohl/c614d2b4a2aee805d93428a2cbc44df5

Edited by Blauerdaemon
Smaller post (quote -> gist)

So has there been any official action on the "checking versions" window hanging? I'm running into the issue again tonight. I haven't had any problems since I came back to the game a few weeks ago until tonight. Would be very nice to have a cancel button or something, and as was mentioned earlier, some kind of debug report on which mod caused the problem. My KSP install takes over 10 minutes to load, so I usually go do other things while it's working (cleaning the house some, feeding the dogs, checking my email, etc). It's highly aggravating to come back to the computer to find this damn window is stuck on and I have to start the whole process over again. I haven't tried the patch version posted earlier as I assume it hasn't been updated for 1.1.

I would get rid of it if it weren't for the fact that a couple of mods I use require it be installed. It's a great addon, but I'm having a problem with other mods that are conflicting somehow, and this is just adding to the headache enough that I'm about ready to give up on the whole game for a few more months. That's how annoying the issue is. I guess those who've never seen it probably can't understand that.

Edited by kananesgi

10 hours ago, kananesgi said:

So has there been any official action on the "checking versions" window hanging? I'm running into the issue again tonight. I haven't had any problems since I came back to the game a few weeks ago until tonight. Would be very nice to have a cancel button or something, and as was mentioned earlier, some kind of debug report on which mod caused the problem. My KSP install takes over 10 minutes to load, so I usually go do other things while it's working (cleaning the house some, feeding the dogs, checking my email, etc). It's highly aggravating to come back to the computer to find this damn window is stuck on and I have to start the whole process over again. I haven't tried the patch version posted earlier as I assume it hasn't been updated for 1.1.

I would get rid of it if it weren't for the fact that a couple of mods I use require it be installed. It's a great addon, but I'm having a problem with other mods that are conflicting somehow, and this is just adding to the headache enough that I'm about ready to give up on the whole game for a few more months. That's how annoying the issue is. I guess those who've never seen it probably can't understand that.

The mod seems abandoned by the author for some time now. He may not have any interest in fixing bugs or issues, and is just keeping AVC up to date.

Hmm, interesting. Re-reading the last page, @cybutek says the 10-second timeout was included in the 1.1.6 version, but I am still randomly having that issue. I wonder if it has to do with something other than a bad URL. Seems to be happening randomly, as I can start the game 3 times and AVC works, but then it will hang on "86 of 87" mods on the 4th try. 5th try it'll usually go away again. Weird.

@kananesgi Is there any commonality when it chokes? I assume not on the same mod, but maybe from the same host site? ie always Curse, or SpaceDock, or git?... I'm just wondering if maybe its something on the other end of things, rather than AVC itself?..??  \o/

@Stone Blue How can I tell? AFAIK, there's no way, short of loading one mod at a time, to identify which causing the problem. Since it's seems to come and go at random, trying one mod at a time won't help, and my mods come from all of the "big three" hosters. Is there a debug menu I can access that will tell me what AVC is doing?

To sound like a real idiot, I've never tried opening the main debug console when this happens. I'll try that next time I load the game to see if it logs AVC actions.

3 hours ago, kananesgi said:

@Stone Blue How can I tell? AFAIK, there's no way, short of loading one mod at a time, to identify which causing the problem. Since it's seems to come and go at random, trying one mod at a time won't help, and my mods come from all of the "big three" hosters. Is there a debug menu I can access that will tell me what AVC is doing?

Yeah, it creates a log file in the KSP-AVC folder... It also seems to write the same exact info into the KSP.log in the main install folder.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any way to uninstall Mini AVC? I'm tired of the repeated warnings that mods are not compatible when they actually are. I didn't install AVC or MiniAVC, but the Mini version seems to have crept into my setup on its own somehow.

31 minutes ago, Recon777 said:

Is there any way to uninstall Mini AVC? I'm tired of the repeated warnings that mods are not compatible when they actually are. I didn't install AVC or MiniAVC, but the Mini version seems to have crept into my setup on its own somehow.

Many mods include MiniAVC.  You'll have to search for "MiniAVC.dll" to find them all and then delete or remove them.

@cybutek I was having a discussion today with some users and some are not using KSP-AVC because of the popup window that comes up at each restart of the game

you can see a screenshot here (the issue monitor)

would it be possible to add some kind of "don't show this again" button

or maybe some kind of option to disable the "issue monitor" ?

I don't think this would make your mod worse, on the contrary, I think it would make it more appealing :)

I'm supporting this mod anyways, but I thought you might use the feedback :wink:

EDIT:

upon further use I noticed that the issue monitor only pops up the first time, I guess the problem was either from miniAVC from some other mods (mine do not include it) or from something else.

Edited by Sigma88

You're correct that KSP-AVC only shows the pop-up once at start but MiniAVC will bring up a separate one for each incompatible mod.  There is a number of design decisions regarding the UX for MiniAVC that have surfaced which could be better.  I had made MiniAVC to be small, with the look and feel as if it's being run separately for each mod.  Due to a lot of mods using this software it has become apparent that it can become obnoxious if a lot of mods are incompatible/require updates and KSP-AVC isn't installed to override the MiniAVC behaviour.

28 minutes ago, cybutek said:

You're correct that KSP-AVC only shows the pop-up once at start but MiniAVC will bring up a separate one for each incompatible mod.  There is a number of design decisions regarding the UX for MiniAVC that have surfaced which could be better.  I had made MiniAVC to be small, with the look and feel as if it's being run separately for each mod.  Due to a lot of mods using this software it has become apparent that it can become obnoxious if a lot of mods are incompatible/require updates and KSP-AVC isn't installed to override the MiniAVC behaviour.

yeah I was always a big fan of KSP-AVC but I never liked the "opt out" nature of miniAVC

thankfully it's "opt out" only for players, so I can just choose not to include it in my mods :D

@cybutek sorry to bother you again, I would like AVC to look for updates directly into my github repository instead of on the web interface you provide

for example, my Galactic Neighborhood mod currently looks for updates here:

"URL":"http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/?page=Version&id=214",

I tried changing it to:

"URL":"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Sigma88/Galactic-Neighborhood/master/GameData/GalacticNeighborhood/GalacticNeighborhood.version",

but I must be doing something wrong because it's not working

is this possible?

On 5/21/2016 at 1:09 PM, Blauerdaemon said:

@cybutek

Are version files with additional entries (not just those mentioned in the "Version File Breakdown") still valid?

Would you say that this JSON-Schema correctly describes a Version file's contents?

https://gist.github.com/janbrohl/c614d2b4a2aee805d93428a2cbc44df5

Just quoting because I'd like to know as well.  I'm working on a program that is intended to overlap in functionality with AVC - just doing it outside KSP itself - and I'd like to make sure I know how to read the version files correctly.

14 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

@cybutek sorry to bother you again, I would like AVC to look for updates directly into my github repository instead of on the web interface you provide

for example, my Galactic Neighborhood mod currently looks for updates here:

"URL":"http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/?page=Version&id=214",

I tried changing it to:

"URL":"https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Sigma88/Galactic-Neighborhood/master/GameData/GalacticNeighborhood/GalacticNeighborhood.version",

but I must be doing something wrong because it's not working

is this possible?

Yes...  You can have the version file hosted anywhere that's accessible on the internet.  Note that if you're using the GITHUB releases integration that's available to use, it will only notify of updates when the remote version and a release using that version tag match.  This is to stop users from receiving update notifications whenever you push a new version file before a release is actually ready.

Edited by cybutek

2 hours ago, cybutek said:

Yes...  You can have the version file hosted anywhere that's accessible on the internet.  Note that if you're using the GITHUB releases integration that's available to use, it will only notify of updates when the remote version and a release using that version tag match.  This is to stop users from receiving update notifications whenever you push a new version file before a release is actually ready.

Ah that's why I wasn't getting any update notifications

Thanks for the info :)

Edited by Sigma88

• 2 weeks later...

How can something that should be so easy to set up be so utterly infuriating!

Executing: MiniAVC - 1.0.3.2
Assembly: E:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Maritime Pack\Plugins\MiniAVC.dll

[Log 11:35:48.3349151]: Starter was created.
[Log 11:35:51.2942883]: Version file contains errors: http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbaltopia/Maritime Pack/AVCCheck.php?id=1
[Log 11:35:51.2947883]: E:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Maritime Pack\Plugins\MP.version
	NAME: The Maritime Pack
	URL: http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbaltopia/Maritime Pack/AVCCheck.php?id=1
	DOWNLOAD: NULL
	GITHUB: NULL
	VERSION: 0.1.6
	KSP_VERSION: 1.1.2
	KSP_VERSION_MIN: NULL
	KSP_VERSION_MAX: NULL
	CompatibleKspVersion: True
	CompatibleKspVersionMin: True
	CompatibleKspVersionMax: True
	CompatibleGitHubVersion: True
[Log 11:35:51.2967887]: http://www.datainterlock.com/Kerbaltopia/Maritime Pack/AVCCheck.php?id=1
	NAME: NULL (required)
	URL: NULL
	DOWNLOAD: NULL
	GITHUB: NULL
	VERSION: NULL (required)
	KSP_VERSION: 1.1.2
	KSP_VERSION_MIN: NULL
	KSP_VERSION_MAX: NULL
	CompatibleKspVersion: True
	CompatibleKspVersionMin: True
	CompatibleKspVersionMax: True
	CompatibleGitHubVersion: True
	UpdateAvailable: False

[Log 11:35:51.6418317]: Starter was destroyed.

Deleted. I'll write my own.

1 hour ago, Kiro said:

The irony of KSP-AVC showing itself as incompatible with 1.1.3 :D

If you're connected to the internet it'll use the remote version information for compatibility checks which will correctly see 1.1.3 as a valid compatible KSP version. When not connected to the internet it'll use the older local .version file for compatibility checks. This feature is there so that mod authors do not have to re-upload a new version of the mod and users don't have to re-download the whole mod again when it is still compatible just to get an updated .version file.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.