[1.3 & 1.2] KSP-AVC Add-on Version Checker Plugin 1.1.6.2 - MiniAVC - KSP-AVC Online (2016-10-13)

cybutek

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @cybutek, I have a quick question:

What would it take/how difficult would it be for AVC and .version files to be able to recognize mods versions that only work with certain versions of mods, dependencies, etc.?

I know that this is not a function of AVC at this time, but a couple of us are working on a mod/patch set that basically allows KPBS and MKS to play nicely together. We decided that our little interoperability mod ought to have a .version file because .version files and AVC are awesome. It occurred to us, though, that it doesn't really matter, for the sake of our mod, what version of KSP a player is running. What matters is what version of KPBS and MKS a user is running.

Since AVC can already see what version of a mod you have installed through its .version file, how complicated would it be to implement a system where a .version file could reference another mod, and then have AVC confirm that the other mod's version is not outside of what is acceptable?

Not being particularly computer-savvy, I don't want to come across as demanding features, but I am curious if such a thing would be feasible.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TDplay said:

Great mod! Yay, I no longer need to check the KSP forums (I've nothing against KSP forums, it's just a little tedious to check every mod is up to date) for updates!

Not TOO bad, if all mod devs would include KSP vers, Mod vers and/or date of last mod update, in the thread title...AND keep them up-to-date...

But there's a thread for that, for further discussion...

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, TDplay said:

Great mod! Yay, I no longer need to check the KSP forums (I've nothing against KSP forums, it's just a little tedious to check every mod is up to date) for updates!

remember this is an opt-in feature, so not all mods are compatible.

if there is some mod you use that is not compatible, try telling to the devs of those mods about KSP-AVC

chances are they will probably like the idea of adding compatibility

Edited by Sigma88

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

remember this is an opt-in feature, so not all mods are compatible.

if there is some mod you use that is not compatible, try telling to the devs of those mods about KSP-AVC

chances are they will probably like the idea of adding compatibility

I know

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Suddenly I am no longer to access the modlist provided by KSP-AVC in the in-game start menu. I get NRE log spam. I have a heavily modded install and I have tried deleting and reinstalling KSP-AVC. Log snippet below, full log linked here: https://1drv.ms/t/s!AoyHZiRU1jT-wOE5qE5dKr40gtqLrg

KSP-AVC -> IssueGui was destroyed.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

KSP-AVC -> ToolTipGui was destroyed.

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

KSP-AVC -> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSP_AVC.Toolbar.ToolbarWindow.DrawAddons () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP_AVC.Toolbar.ToolbarWindow.DrawAddonList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP_AVC.Toolbar.ToolbarWindow.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

KSP-AVC -> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KSP_AVC.Toolbar.ToolbarWindow.DrawAddons () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP_AVC.Toolbar.ToolbarWindow.DrawAddonList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP_AVC.Toolbar.ToolbarWindow.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

KSP-AVC -> System.ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
  at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP_AVC.Toolbar.ToolbarWindow.DrawAddonBoxStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

KSP-AVC -> System.ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
  at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at KSP_AVC.Toolbar.ToolbarWindow.DrawAddonBoxStart () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I tested this mod on 1.3 and it works

I host my own version files, so that might be the reason why you guys are having problems, have you checked that the files hosted by KSP-AVC online are still available?

I've probably asked this before but I feel like I continually forget about it, so here goes;

Is there a way to have AVC completely ignore any and all version checking, and just leave me alone forever? If there is it isn't at all clear in the OP or the readme.

Thanks.

43 minutes ago, regex said:

I've probably asked this before but I feel like I continually forget about it, so here goes;

Is there a way to have AVC completely ignore any and all version checking, and just leave me alone forever? If there is it isn't at all clear in the OP or the readme.

Thanks.

What do you mean?... That you get AVC notifications on mods you have installed, that include MiniAvc?... I'm assuming you dont actually have KSP-AVC itself installed, as its sole purpose is exaclty what you've asked for it to ignore?

If its the first, there's a little plugin by Malah, (ZeroMiniAVC), that deletes, prunes, and/or disables the MiniAVC files included with mods that package it... Should give you the results you want... to never hear from AVC again... ??

15 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

What do you mean?... That you get AVC notifications on mods you have installed, that include MiniAvc?... I'm assuming you dont actually have KSP-AVC itself installed, as its sole purpose is exaclty what you've asked for it to ignore?

I have AVC installed because, as I understoood it, I could configure it to not version check, but I can't seem to find reference to any flag in the XML or configuration whereby I can turn that functionality off. If all it does is consolidate update notifications then yeah, that's not what I'm looking for.

15 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

If its the first, there's a little plugin by Malah, (ZeroMiniAVC), that deletes, prunes, and/or disables the MiniAVC files included with mods that package it... Should give you the results you want... to never hear from AVC again... ??

So I should uninstall AVC itself and then run this little plugin, awesome, thank you.

7 minutes ago, regex said:

So I should uninstall AVC itself and then run this little plugin, awesome, thank you.

No problem... :)

Sorry, it sounds like I certainly didnt comprehend what you were asking... Maybe I shouldnt have said "sole" purpose... more like its "main" purpose seems to me to be version checking... vOv  Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can address your question

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, regex said:

I have AVC installed because, as I understoood it, I could configure it to not version check, but I can't seem to find reference to any flag in the XML or configuration whereby I can turn that functionality off. If all it does is consolidate update notifications then yeah, that's not what I'm looking for.

Now I'm curious, what are you using it for if you don't want the notifications?

3 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Now I'm curious, what are you using it for if you don't want the notifications?

I thought it would allow me to disable the obnoxious Mini AVC nag screens, which it does but then it throws up its own nag screen which I don't know how to disable. I don't want nag screens to begin with, I've been a version behind for months now.

1 hour ago, regex said:

I thought it would allow me to disable the obnoxious Mini AVC nag screens, which it does but then it throws up its own nag screen which I don't know how to disable. I don't want nag screens to begin with, I've been a version behind for months now.

I understand, I would nag the devs who include miniavc to begin with :)

I love KSP-AVC, and I have .version files in all my mods, but I don't like forcing it on people like miniavc does

1 hour ago, regex said:

There is a mod on CKAN called "Zero MiniAVC". That mod disables all the MiniAVC, I never tested it tho. You can also download it from it's GitHub.

And, about KSP-AVC... there is a way to disable the compatibility check of specific mods?

6 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I understand, I would nag the devs who include miniavc to begin with :)

I love KSP-AVC, and I have .version files in all my mods, but I don't like forcing it on people like miniavc does

While I use KSP-AVC itself in my "play" installs, and I do understand the usefulness of MiniAVC, (and would probably include it in anything I released), I do a search in Windows Explorer for my GameData after whatever mods I want at the time are installed, and one of the things I search for to delete all instanes of is all the MiniAVC files... (as well as all the readme's, license, and changelog files... (after I READ them, of course :P ))....

Rather than all or nothing with MiniAVC, I'd like to see the functionality of ZeroMiniAVC incorporated into it, somehow, so you could opt out ONCE and be done... Like maybe have MiniAVC start once, with an opt-out/nuclear option, and it saves a settings or config file somewhere in your GameData, that any future installs/instances of MiniAVC will check before running, and if opted-out, they wont run at all....

Do-able???....

4 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

and I do understand the usefulness of MiniAVC,

I don't honestly

KSP-AVC is there, if anyone wants to use it it's available. no need to force it down their throat.

there is really no upside of having it installed other than annoy people who don't want to have it installed.

since I feel like KSP-AVC is very useful, I always put a link in the OP of all my mods.

and I list it as "supported"

I don't think sneaking stuff into people games is a good way of doing mods

8 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Rather than all or nothing with MiniAVC, I'd like to see the functionality of ZeroMiniAVC incorporated into it, somehow, so you could opt out ONCE and be done... Like maybe have MiniAVC start once, with an opt-out/nuclear option, and it saves a settings or config file somewhere in your GameData, that any future installs/instances of MiniAVC will check before running, and if opted-out, they wont run at all....

problem with that is, everytime you restore your gamedata from a backup you will get the notification

or if you have different GameData folders, all of them will require the opt out.

and after all, what would a dev really gain from forcing miniAVC into his mods? it's not like it gives you important data about the usage of your mods or anything...

and to be clear, I don't have anything against miniAVC itself, it's just that I don't understand why anybody would want to put it into their mods

maybe someone that uses it can illuminate me :D

14 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

and after all, what would a dev really gain from forcing miniAVC into his mods? it's not like it gives you important data about the usage of your mods or anything...

and to be clear, I don't have anything against miniAVC itself, it's just that I don't understand why anybody would want to put it into their mods

maybe someone that uses it can illuminate me :D

Don't use it myself, but I can see it as a tactic to help reduce support overhead.  People are less likely to complain about bugs in old versions if they're greeted by a reminder that they're using an old version every time they start up.  :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.