N-1. Soviet Heavy Booster (aka 11A52) (OLDD in USSR) v.0.235 (13.05.14)

DennyTX

Ages ago there was a Space Race. Despite soviets lost, their rocket was very interesting and odd looking device.

Here it is.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

hard to assemble, hard to fly. (but craft file enclosed)

5 stages , 44 engines (5 types) and huge fairing

PS1: N-1 just means "NOSITEL nomer Odin" (carrier number one)

PS2: current version is without LOK and LK. Only rocket stuff.

Edited by DennyTX

OK, the rocket looks good so far. :) But I've got a few nitpicks. First, read this page:

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/pages/n1-variants.html

Your rocket looks like N1-5L, but you might want to make other variants, too. Whichever you make, look closely at how it's painted. N1 paint scheme is very distinctive and asymmetrical, only the N1-7L is plain white, but other details differ. They're all dark gray/bright white, with no other colors visible on the surface.

Your escape tower has no separation motors. Again, this is pretty important for such a huge rocket. BobCat's N1 had them (he was initially opposed, too, but later we found it to be the best solution to LES decoupling problems it had). They're modeled, so making them functional is just Unity work.

Also, IMO, the lower shroud should be actual parts, not an autoshroud. The reason? Those sticking-out bits with holes you modeled are separation motors. Yes, it was actually so massive it needed separation rockets for it's interstage shroud. :) That would've looked really cool if it actually got to the first staging event...

L3 complex is wobbly. This was a problem with BobCat's N1, too. Every major connection of the L3 complex should use size 3 nodes. Also, avoid attaching things to engines. It'd be better to have engines with only a single node, and tanks with an additional node for mounting the decoupler. That would stiffen the stack and make the rocket more rigid as a whole.

Also, increase stage heat tolerance and decrease heat production on engines. Currently, if you try to hot-stage the N1, it ends up blowing the lower stage up. Engines also notoriously overheat.

Oh, and the RCS nozzles on Block D are 45 degrees off axis, too, dunno why. The same with Block G. They should also be jettisonable, along with their hydrazine tanks. Lastly, Block D shroud seems to be a single piece on N1, too. It can be an autoshroud, but it probably shouldn't be split like it is now.

Overall, it's a solid start, needs some work, but the basic structure works great. :)

Edited by Guest

OK, found more bugs. This time mostly minor visual stuff.

1. Grid fins are opaque from below (from above they're fine).

2. RCS has only a single "puff" per nozzle. Each nozzle needs it's own RCS transform.

3. Pipes from the engines clip into the lower shroud when matched up with pipes on the 1st stage base.

4. Engines on N-1 were NK-15 and NK-15V, NK-21 and NK-19, in that order. NK-33, NK-43 and NK-31 were developed, but never actually flown on N1. NK-9 was proposed for N1 ICBM ancestor, the Globalna Raketa (Global Rocket), for first stage, but was never developed. Also note, if you're making N1F (and interesting idea, though details on the LV are sketchy, despite the fact it was near-ready), NK-39 was the proposed replacement for NK-21. NK-31 would be used in Block G, instead of NK-19. Anyway, no matter how you slice it, some engine renaming is in order. :)

Hi would it be possible to get an alternative download link please as I refuse to use curse

Since it looks like most modders are shifting to Curse, maybe you should just get over it and use it anyway? It's not like they force you to use the curse client or anything. Actually, if you tried to take a look at the Curse Spaceport, it actually looks like it's a better system than the old spaceport.

And to you, Denny, all I can say is bravo. It looks amazing!

Curse has been known to spread malware via it's ads. Dunno if it's been fixed, but I'm blocking all the ads so it doesn't matter for me anyway. :) Anyway, I'm not a Curse supporter, I prefer uploading mods to Mediafire.

Since it looks like most modders are shifting to Curse, maybe you should just get over it and use it anyway? It's not like they force you to use the curse client or anything. Actually, if you tried to take a look at the Curse Spaceport, it actually looks like it's a better system than the old spaceport.

And to you, Denny, all I can say is bravo. It looks amazing!

Looks like cluttered ads with mods in the middle, besides I don't see too many real popular mods on curse anyways I think the hugely popular mod makers will probably stick to mediafire or dropbox, you know the one that don't charge to host files. N-1 looks great denny keep up the good work, and if i have to i will use curse to download because I cant live without that Sat V and LEM.

@_@ Darn you Denny! (Just kidding)

But the fact is ur releasing this beuaty during my most busy period hence the above! :D Great job Man, along with the Saturn V & Proton-M~!!

Thanks for these great rockets.

Looks like cluttered ads with mods in the middle, besides I don't see too many real popular mods on curse anyways I think the hugely popular mod makers will probably stick to mediafire or dropbox, you know the one that don't charge to host files. N-1 looks great denny keep up the good work, and if i have to i will use curse to download because I cant live without that Sat V and LEM.

I'm quite sure that Curse doesn't charge momney to host your stuff, and the only commercials on the Curse Spaceport are the "Featured Sites" section, all the way down at the bottom of the page. Get your facts straight, as the foundation for your argument is two outright untruths.

I'm quite sure that Curse doesn't charge momney to host your stuff, and the only commercials on the Curse Spaceport are the "Featured Sites" section, all the way down at the bottom of the page. Get your facts straight, as the foundation for your argument is two outright untruths.

The only one here wanting to argue is you, I've said how I feel it is you that is trying to start an argument here and this is not the place for it, I've been to the site and you can't tell me what I have or have not seen It was my opinion as you comment was yours, don't turn childish. Keep the thread about Dennys N-1. I will not reply any further.

This isnt the Curse thread and if I choose not to use it thats my personal choice, I will not use curse period. Denny has been quite gracious in supplying another link which I thank him for taking the time to do so, and i will echo some of the other comments its an awesome looking rocket

Edited by Virtualgenius

If everything's properly scaled, S-V should be taller, and N-1 bigger at the base. I'll try to rig up a pad comparison.

The only one here wanting to argue is you, I've said how I feel it is you that is trying to start an argument here and this is not the place for it, I've been to the site and you can't tell me what I have or have not seen It was my opinion as you comment was yours, don't turn childish. Keep the thread about Dennys N-1. I will not reply any further.

I am not being childish. However, you posted two outright untruths in this thread, which is very poor form.

This isnt the Curse thread and if I choose not to use it thats my personal choice, I will not use curse period. Denny has been quite gracious in supplying another link which I thank him for taking the time to do so, and i will echo some of the other comments its an awesome looking rocket

Well, that's your choice to not use Curse. I can't see why you wouldn't use it, but so be it. And yes, I agree that Denny is quite a helpful guy. A mirror link is always a good idea. And I will also echo everybody else here and say that the N1 looks fantastic.