N-1. Soviet Heavy Booster (aka 11A52) (OLDD in USSR) v.0.235 (13.05.14)

DennyTX

One trash can please!

From Wikipedia.

There are various ways of measuring the danger of spaceflight based on comparing the number of fatalities to the number of non-fatal spaceflights.

About two percent of the manned launch/reentry attempts have killed their crew, with Soyuz and the Shuttle having almost the same death percentage rates. Except for the X-15 (which is a suborbital rocket plane), other launchers have not launched sufficiently often for reasonable safety comparisons to be made.

About five percent of people who have been launched have died doing so. As of November 2004,[dated info] 439 individuals have flown on spaceflights: Russia/Soviet Union (96), USA (277), others (66).[citation needed] Twenty-two have died while in a spacecraft: three on Apollo 1, one on Soyuz 1, one on X-15-3, three on Soyuz 11, seven on Challenger, and seven on Columbia. By space program, 18 NASA astronauts (4.1%) and four Soviet cosmonauts (0.9% of all the people launched) died while in a spacecraft.[citation needed]

Soyuz accidents have claimed the lives of four cosmonauts. No deaths have occurred on Soyuz missions since 1971, and none with the current design of the Soyuz. Including the early Soyuz design, the average deaths per launched crew member on Soyuz are currently under two percent. However, there have also been several serious injuries, and some other incidents in which crews nearly died.

Soyuz is great. Even if something does break, it usually results in an injury, not death. Considering how hostile space is, that's quite an achievement. American spacecraft, on the other hand, had to be built to too tight tolerances to ensure that sort of reliability. Soyuz can reenter with out detaching it's PAO, while Shuttle burned up from a missing heat tile. Soyuz is cheap, but Apollo CSM was too expensive to keep running like that... Soyuz is awesome, because it's so overengineered that there's little that could really threaten the crew. Sure, early versions had problems, though only on 11 it was an actual technical problem. On Soyuz 1, the problem was downright criminal negligence in order to meet an arbitrary Party-issued deadline, something very common in Soviet Union at the time.

Why are we even giving the comment this much attention?! It was a stupid comment, Im sure he realizes by now that on this forum making fun of the Soyuz is unofficially against forum rules.

• 2 months later...

Just to let you know, I'll be working on an Realism Overhaul patch for this, as well as for BobCat's N1. Denny, if you're still around, it'd be great to see this updated. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Haven't heard from you in a while Denny, any new news?

well, i think there are no interest to replicas in community, most people prefer kerbal stock style. Thats ok, but forced my development going for home use only. As well as for 11A52 items and 8K82K and Saturn-Apollo families also.

I do not use stock parts myself, only handmaded historical copies.

Edited by DennyTX

I like historic replicas too. It's also true that some people prefer stock flavored parts more and rule out real life like launchers, but I don't think there aren't many other who are historic parts friendly. Bobcat could also succeed with the Soviet pack. Maybe integrating OLDD and N1 completely into RSS would give them a new meaning with more people interested in them. Tweaking your Saturn V gives the best experience for me to do lunar missions in RSS.

Denny I use your proton all the time I have been waiting for the fixes for your saturn V use it all the time as well been waiting for your skylab and your soviet pack so please release your stuff people love them.

Denny if you released and all american Apollo pack with the Saturn V and Skylab it would be a huge hit guaranteed same with any or all of your soviet stuff would be a huge hit.

Edited by Virtualgenius

I absolutely disagree that there is no interest in replicas. To be brutally honest. Build replicas, absolute replicas. 1:1. They can be scaled down to better match stock, and nerfed in config. That makes BOTH stock and RSS people happy. Don't fall into the trap of things must be some KSP regulated size every 0.625/1.25m. That's a bogus attempt at playability to make sure everything goes together smooth as silk. Honestly, if YOU like replicas then build replicas, your work is very much appreciated, that I guarantee. The community doesn't force you to do anything. You aren't being paid by your work so build what YOU WANT to build, not what others tell you to do.

Most of the complains about the Saturn V was that there are some already out in various mods but all of them are overpowered and/or only have stock sizes. Currently OLDD is the only one out, which is meant to be different. Before KSP there was no game in which you could replicate popular old and recent missions in an easy and fun way, like in KSP (Orbiter is difficult). For this experience, historic replicas are the best.

Denny, the majority of my flights use historical craft or "never flown" variations of historical craft. Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Soyuz, Proton, Salyut, Skylab, probes, you name it. Please don't think for a moment there's not a market for your beautiful historical models. They are being used and highly appreciated!

@cBBp: Both you and Denny have done fantastic work. If both of you want to make replica stuff, DO IT. You don't have to make EVERYBODY happy, or even a majority. Sometimes catoring to the 'small crowd' while creating something you love is worth WAY more to pleasing the masses. The masses will never be happy with your work. IMO, it's about time that a dedicated model maker or two who focuses on realism and replicas finds it's way into KSP. Buck the 'trend' make 1:1 replicas. I'll offer what config support I can give you to help in your endeavors.

well, i think there are no interest to replicas in community, most people prefer kerbal stock style. Thats ok, but forced my development going for home use only. As well as for 11A52 items and 8K82K and Saturn-Apollo families also.

I do not use stock parts myself, only handmaded historical copies.

I know exactly how you feel. You spend all the time making something to get lots of complaints and no support then see a "stockalike" version of the same thing popup with an insane amount of interest and praise. It makes you not even want to bother.

Edited by raidernick

No offense to all of you guys, raidernick, denny, cBBp. But if you are going to measure success by how much OTHER people like your stuff. When it's free. Then IMO, you are going about it all wrong. I'd like to say I've spent just as much time as you guys have on models making configs for Realism Overhaul, and not once have I thought, nobody likes what I'm doing, I might as well give up. What a crappy attitude.

Replica/Realism is niche market within KSP. I realize that. I honestly haven't seen a download count on it. I've never looked either.

I don't care. I'm making things FOR ME. Then I take the 10-15min to share them with the world.

If somebody makes a suggestion that is real and possible, then by all means I'm going to do it, because that benefits me. It just happens to benefit the others too. If somebody makes a complaint or suggestion that's unreal, or otherwise just being a pile of dung. I'm not afraid to tell them where to stick it. If they don't follow directions, I'm not afraid to tell them to do it again and come back when it's right. I'm not afraid to terminate support for that person.

I don't care if they don't download it or use it. Doesn't hurt me any. I still get what I want because I make things for ME first, then I let others to use my work as well because that in itself is easy. I sure don't measure MY success by what others say, or download or not.

Edited by RedAV8R

Woah Woah Woah is anyone else reading this as we have been missing out on months and months of DennyTX models?!? Lord knows what he has done now!! I am very much joking but Denny I think you can see from the response your models are very welcome and needed in a community screaming for realistic models. Look at the popularity of Bobcats models and FASA. People want real world models and realistic ones at that. I know when i first joined the first thing I looked for was a Saturn V mod. To be honest sometimes I am in the mood for a stockalike game and sometimes I want 100% realism, and sometimes I just want to play 100% stock. So It all depends on players mood. However there is most certainly a place for models like yours. I will say I am not totally into the 1:1 scale but hey I would download your models just because of how wonderful they look. So please comeback or at least show us what you are doing. The people on these forums will tell you if they want something or not. Anyway its all up to you, and hopefully I am not belaboring the point by saying you are definitely missed by quite a few people in this community.

Denny I use your proton all the time

I think Danny's models is the best ones, and I use it all the time too.

well, i think there are no interest to replicas in community, most people prefer kerbal stock style.

First of all, the game is in beta stage, unfortunately - and so its popularity is low, till it's not presented in "release" chapters/topics. But it will be released.

And people not prefer kerbal stock style, they just still do not know about other mods, which is located on main, english-speaking, forum.

I began with NovaPunch, which I've found on our local tracker.

So we must have a patience ))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Denny can you please have a look at the N1 I loaded the craft file and its all over the place my soviet moon program can function without the N1 any chance we can have the lander and the pod as well

yup. i'll try to update it in NY siesta.