N-1. Soviet Heavy Booster (aka 11A52) (OLDD in USSR) v.0.235 (13.05.14)

DennyTX

I don't think they actually lost in the space race. They were quite successful in many aspects (first artificial satellite, first living creature in space, first man in space, etc).

That being said, awesome to see this thing in action. Good job!

I think mean "lost" at final line (success manned Mission landing at Moon surface).

After this,i believe you have right,and at the end of "Space Race",i am sure everybody win,me you...everybody all over the World!

I don't think they actually lost in the space race. They were quite successful in many aspects (first artificial satellite, first living creature in space, first man in space, etc).

That being said, awesome to see this thing in action. Good job!

The Soviet Union definitely lost the Space Race. The Space Race was all about propaganda, so even though the USSR managed to do a lot of scientific and technological advancements, the US won the propaganda victory by a large margin.

If we are using the analogy "Space Race" then the finish line was landing on the moon. I don't think anyone can deny the Soviets Union's amazing contributions to space travel. Now if the finish line is having a sustainable space program then the Soviet Union/Russia have succeeded in spades and left the United States in the dust. However the "space race" as we refer to it, was clearly and undoubtedly won by the United States.

Nope. Soviets clearly won the Space Race. US won the Moon Race, and nobody questions that. Space Race was about getting to space, which was won by Soviets on both accounts (first object in orbit and first man in orbit), and even on one US didn't even try to go for (the first woman in orbit). US only beat Soviets to the Moon and interplanetary space, actually. Not even to Mars or Venus (the latter's surface was only explored by Soviet Venera probes), though they didn't had much luck landing on the former.

Nope. Soviets clearly won the Space Race. US won the Moon Race, and nobody questions that. Space Race was about getting to space, which was won by Soviets on both accounts (first object in orbit and first man in orbit), and even on one US didn't even try to go for (the first woman in orbit). US only beat Soviets to the Moon and interplanetary space, actually. Not even to Mars or Venus (the latter's surface was only explored by Soviet Venera probes), though they didn't had much luck landing on the former.

No I don't disagree with you. However, it just seems that even from the beginning the objective was always the moon. I suppose now looking back we say the moon race but it seemed pretty evident back then that the goal was the moon. For both programs each objective done in LEO orbit was to achieve the goal of going to the moon. Rendevous, Docking, eva, extended space flight, etc. Each objective accomplished by either the russians or the americans was always towards the goal of getting to the moon. Now as I said before looking back who has the most "firsts" well I don't think there is any argument it is the russians. However it just seems that only looking back people are saying the Russians won the space race but at the time when people said "space race" they always meant landing on the moon. I think when it comes to space flight, exploration, and science there is a huge difference between first and best. I am not saying the American space program isnt peppered with errors, failures, and flaws but it just seems, I could be wrong that NASA to a fault takes the time to test everything over and over again to mitigate the possibility of failure as much as possible. The Russian way was always test a little, launch, see what happens, fix whatever problem next time around. Which in it self, the Russians of have a proper grasp on the meaning of exploration. But half way through the "space race" the americans because of test after test after test were able to efficiently (pun fully intended) launch ahead of the Russians for the rest of the space race all the way to the moon. However there is certainly something to be said about who has a sustainable program today and who doesn't, which to me is the clear indicator as to who is currently winning the space race.

Only the Americans were going to the Moon from the start. Soviets didn't pick up that goal until quite some time later. They were going for "firsts" in space at first, their lunar program was rushed and their only idea was to "beat Americans". The US, on the other hand, focused on lunar program from the start.

Only the Americans were going to the Moon from the start. Soviets didn't pick up that goal until quite some time later. They were going for "firsts" in space at first, their lunar program was rushed and their only idea was to "beat Americans". The US, on the other hand, focused on lunar program from the start.

Right. As I said shouldn't it be about proper exploration and science? Not being first. So they were so interested in getting to the moon first they slammed together a beautiful and interesting looking rocket (the N-1) but in their desperation to be first destroyed 4 of them. Instead they could have took the time and might not have been first but gotten to the moon with a more impressive and efficient rocket and possibly being judged by history of getting to the moon better than the Americans. Im not saying that the American's didn't believe in being first but Im talking even after everything was said in done, NASA has always done there best to make sure things get done right the first time. I could be wrong but didn't the Soviets send 7 or 8 Venera probes only 4 of which completed their intended missions? As I said when it comes to spaceflight and exploration there is a huge difference between being first and doing it right. There is a reason why NASA always wins the "propaganda war" because they typically do there best to do things right.

Veneras were hugely successful. Of those that got beyond LEO (early Molniya wasn't a very realiable LV), all Veneras generally fulfilled their missions. Some probes were crushed in the lower atmo, but they still sent a lot of valuable data. If you're looking for a Soviet failure, look at the Mars program. Few orbiters were successful, and the only remotely good lander only lasted 15 seconds. Oddly enough, it used the same tech as Venera...

N1 was a terrible mess not due to being rushed, but due to infighting between design bureaus. They could have gotten to the Moon had they didn't mix politics into everything (a fine tradition continued by today's Russia...).

They could have gotten to the Moon had they didn't mix politics into everything (a fine tradition continued by today's Russia...).

Haha good point. Also I wasn't looking for soviet failures I was just trying to say that the difference between the space programs is that the Russians I suppose have a Kerbal idea of space flight and the Americans are uptight to a fault about getting things done right the first time. If both were to truly combine and really put aside differences and national pride to explore space we could really get stuff done. I think the ISS is a perfect example that we can do extraordinary things together. However even with the ISS there was and still is a rivalry due in large part now to political issues. But a true international space program (which is definitely a dream) could get us into deep space with regular manned trips to other planets sooner rather than later. What the hell throw China into the mix and we are on the Moon again next year.

Edited by sp1989

1. What do you mean "from the start"? The Space Task Group presented two plans for manned flight in the coming decade (the 1960s): one focusing on stations in LEO, and one ending in a manned lunar flyby (or better, orbit) by 1970. (STG was formed in 1958, FYI). Kennedy, once in office, not merely preferred the lunar approach but called for a manned landing by 1970 in direct response to Gagarin, not "from the start." Kennedy didn't care that much for space, anyway; he saw it much as the Politburo saw it, for its propaganda value. Johnson was the actual champion.

2. N-1 suffered from infighting as you say (heck, Glushko got Korolev sent to the gulag in the 30s for crying out loud), in particular resource diversion to Chelomei and the UR series and LK-700 lander, and Korolev having to go with many small engines from a turbojet manufacturer (Kuznetsov) because Glushko refused to make non-hypergolic engines. But it also suffered from the rise in payload capacity required, which necessitated a poor redesign that depended on even more engines in the first and second stages.

Edited by NathanKell

• 3 weeks later...

That picture of the Saturn V beside the N-1 is not accurate. The Saturn V was taller than the N-1 by at least a few meters.

Aside from my obsession with accuracy, this is an awesome mod! I liked playing with Bobcats N-1. I'm downloading now.

Edit: Just put your Saturn V up against the N-1. Lol. The N-1 is bigger. And wow! FASA SV is way smaller than yours.

Edited by GoldForest

DennyTX your mods are awesome so well detailed so close to the real thing, would you consider uploading your mods to the new community site http://beta.kerbalstuff.com/ and help get it off the ground. The more modders who help test the better off the whole community will be, I understand if you dont want to maintain multiple sites but any help would greatly appreciated.

That picture of the Saturn V beside the N-1 is not accurate. The Saturn V was taller than the N-1 by at least a few meters.

Aside from my obsession with accuracy, this is an awesome mod! I liked playing with Bobcats N-1. I'm downloading now.

Edit: Just put your Saturn V up against the N-1. Lol. The N-1 is bigger. And wow! FASA SV is way smaller than yours.

The reason that Denny's SV is much bigger than Frizzank's is that Denny scales to around 85 % real size, where Frizzank scales to nearest Kerbal size (3.75m, 5m, etc.). The standard that the community has agreed on for the most part is 64 %, which both Bobcat's mods, MrTheBull's mods and many older, now defunct mods and in-dev mods use.

Actually, Denny also scales to 64%. With the exception of S-IVB (it's 3.75m, where it should be over 4), Saturn V is generally scaled correctly, and the CSM is 2.5m, which means it's roughly 64% scale. Much like with all Denny's mods, compare his and BobCat's Protons. The N1 is too big probably because Saturn's S-IV is undersized, making it shorter and reducing the rocket's height.

Edited by Guest