The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

This is a problem that needs to be fixed when we have budgets:

FL-T800 Fuel Tank (1.25 m) - Fuel/Oxidizer: 360 L/440 L - Cost: 1600 (2 kerbucks/liter of propellant)

Rockomax X200-8 Fuel Tank (2.5 m) - Fuel/Oxidizer: 360 L/440 L - Cost: 900 (~1.13 kerbucks/liter of propellant)

Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank (2.5 m) - Fuel/Oxidizer: 2880 L/3520 L (8 times the propellant in the X200-8) - Cost: 12500 (~1.95 kerbucks/liter of propellant)

Not that I would want the game to become a wargame, but the devs have said a lot of stuff over time and changed their opinion later, so no telling what will happen with weapons and the like, especially since multiplayer is coming (which the devs said for a long time would never come) and most of the guys who want multiplayer will ask for weapons to fight other players once multiplayer is done (actually I am so certain of that that you may quote me on this in the future).

Squad never said that they wouldn't do MP and whats up with the lust for weapons in a game thats about space exploration. There are already (too) many games that fill that need.

But can we get a hint from a mod as to what will come in .25?

They don't know themselves. Until 0.24 is done there are only some vague and general ideas floating around in Harvester's head on what to do next, which are likely to change depending on what is needed. For example 0.23 was supposed to be the contract system patch just before 0.22 was released but ended up being a science rebalancing, tweaking etc. patch after 0.22 feedback in both experimentals testing and after release.

However there is something we do know that is planned for the future and worked on now/soon besides multiplayer. Not sure if it will come as soon as in 0.25 but if I heard everything what maxmaps was saying correctly in the last KSP TV Squadcast, there's a new intern at Squad who is/will be doing new spaceplane parts and probably remaking the old ones. So that's one thing we'll probably see this year, hopefully. But it's hard to guess how long that will take or in what update will that end up being.

Until they finish 0.24 and they hold a design meeting to specify the 0.25 development plan nothing is set in stone for what 0.25 will focus on though. We could speculate, but there are no guarantees. One thing I think is likely to happen in 0.25 is a contract system rebalancing plus some general changes and fleshing out of the contract/budget mechanics, possibly difficulty levels/settings if those don't make it into 0.24. I doubt the system won't need tweaking after the community focuses on breaking the hell out of it.

But can we get a hint from a mod as to what will come in .25?

We don't know. :) We're not Squad employees. If you meant devs rather than mods, even they could only give you a preliminary list because things are occasionally moved up or postponed. So if, as we've seen, even what is planned for .24 is subject to revision, there really isn't an answer for the question of what will be in .25.

OOH! new update... we're geting CURRENCY! WOO! (I know the dev notes are meant to be discussed in another place, but no-one seems to have made a thead on it yet, and this one still fits the bill nicely...)

I like this idea... as long as they do balance the part costs, otherwise people will end up using the cheaper tanks and using lots of struts if needed... plus, I guess fuel itself will need to be priced, otherwise there will be no advantage to launching without fuel for long-term missions that are assembled in space... and then spend even more currency (wonder what it will be called?!) on sending the fuel up later...

Well this development is great indeed. But also made my heart drop a little bit. Will have to see what this update will do for Me and Mission Controller and if I can come up with some sort of future for MCE with the new KSP budget system. Still cool to see budgets though be actually in game. :)

I hope your mod doesn't die, It's probably one of my favorites. My guess that the current contracts/budget system is going to be lacking in some way and you will find some way to integrate and expand upon it.

Its not a bad assumption though, lots of people are bound to start discussions about this topic...

Kvick's last one, the ARM Megathread, ended with 53 pages of posts... not bad!

First of all, thanks :)

Second of all, it was slightly more than 53 pages, IIRC it broke a hundred!

EDIT: Yup, it ended on 105 pages. Here's the link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/73150-The-ARM-megathread

Edited by KvickFlygarn87

I just hope they fix that cripplingly-large transmit penalty for reports and sciences (my 70 Science for Mun reports gets brought down to 20, to transmit it?! WHAT?!).

In real life difference in scientific efficiency between manned and robotic exploration is even larger. Unfortunately, cost difference is much more huge. I would like to see first unmanned pods, basic parts and some scientific instruments and first development selections could be between more complex and scientifically productive probes and primitive manned technology (for example that 1 man pod), which would be much more expensive but also much more productive. Now you can make a manned Mün landing before you can build any usable unmanned probe.

In real life difference in scientific efficiency between manned and robotic exploration is even larger. Unfortunately, cost difference is much more huge. I would like to see first unmanned pods, basic parts and some scientific instruments and first development selections could be between more complex and scientifically productive probes and primitive manned technology (for example that 1 man pod), which would be much more expensive but also much more productive. Now you can make a manned Mün landing before you can build any usable unmanned probe.

Yes, I agree that it should be unmanned exploration before you even ATTEMPT manned (Or Kerbaled) eploration of space.

To be fair, it's actually difficult to compare real life scientific research and research in KSP.

I don't think the moon rocks the Apollo guys brought back from the Moon (hard not to type Mun here) helped developed new rocket engines...

Most of the science done in KSP would have absolutely no bearing on rocket development (sure, a launch success/failure brings very helpful data about rockets, but EVA reports in deep space? Not so much).

To get it in line with real life science we would need to simulate science on Kerbin, in which actual science experiments would have little impact, at least not in the domains that would interest rocket engineers. Actual research would then just be time based, with boosts with each launch.

I would personally love science like that, but that's more the scope of a mod IMO.

@Dire_Squid Well, you ARE supposed to bring the data back instead.

YES, because it's SO mush easier than merely transmitting data, or doing a weak-fly-by... oh wait... NO IT ISN'T!!!

I'm kidding. :wink: Nothing but love for you :D

Wait... .24 is meant to include a reputation system yes?? So would it be possible to link a save file to your forum account so you receive (or lose) the reputation you earn in that career save?? One save at a time of course, and it would ask for your password when linking so that people couldn't just enter in your username than kill lots of kerbals :P this way people could see if you really are a kerbal engineer, pilot, etc.

Wait... .24 is meant to include a reputation system yes?? So would it be possible to link a save file to your forum account so you receive (or lose) the reputation you earn in that career save?? One save at a time of course, and it would ask for your password when linking so that people couldn't just enter in your username than kill lots of kerbals :P this way people could see if you really are a kerbal engineer, pilot, etc.

No, there has been no discussion of the reputation mechanic being included in 0.24. 0.24 was only supposed to contain the contracts system, and has been pushed back to include currency/budgets. Again, no discussion of reputation in 0.24, nor should it be expected to be included in the next patch.

No, there has been no discussion of the reputation mechanic being included in 0.24. 0.24 was only supposed to contain the contracts system, and has been pushed back to include currency/budgets. Again, no discussion of reputation in 0.24, nor should it be expected to be included in the next patch.

I though HarvestR (Felipe) said in his article thingy that reputation was being included?

I'd think contracts and reputation would be interlinked petty heavily; low rep = lower paid, more simple contracts being offered, high rep = harder but more rewarding contracts, biger payoffs, more rep... but I can't remember seeing it discussed anywhere except this thread :huh:

What is this budget thing everyones talking about? Does it relate to the research or something. I mean like where do you get money from or your budget. Even without one getting into orbit is difficult for me...

What is this budget thing everyones talking about? Does it relate to the research or something. I mean like where do you get money from or your budget. Even without one getting into orbit is difficult for me...

For those who still need to learn how to get things done, there will always be sandbox.

It is to do with the contracts system, they found that having just the contracts with no reward or structure (so just the 'bare-bones' of it) didn't work too well in testing, (wasn't really anything there, wasn't fun) so they are adding things to it before it's released, like the budgets, currency, and probably some place-holder missions... (hope I got that right!)

For those who still need to learn how to get things done, there will always be sandbox.

Spot on, yep!

There are also lots and lots of successful ships posted all over the place, and no-one minds if you check a few out to see how the working ones are arranged, to give yourself a few good ideas on ship design...

If you need any help, please feel free to check out my Career Mode starter ships - link in signature :wink: [/shameless self-plug][/off-topic]

Budget is basically the $$$ you have. Everything costs $$$ and missions (more specifically, contracts) give you $$$.