The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

1. it defiantly wont be multiplayer, the stock single player experience still needs to be upgraded, and multiplayer needs better groundwork to function well.

Personally after .24 i have no idea, i Personally believe their should be direction in changes to SpacePlane parts. If budgets are added in .24, along with the contract system and repuation, SSTO's and reusable craft should be more useful as a cheap launch unit with high initial investment.

Since their is a lack of variation for the spaceplane parts, and they will actually become more than an "add on" they should move twoard updating those parts, adding new parts and maybe focusing on the aerodynamic system and re-entry.

This is only because focus on these parts is needed if reusable craft become more practical.

Hello, I am new here. I planning to get this game at some point and just saw the 0.24 Update Update article. Do you think I should wait for contracts and budgets to be released with 0.24 before buying and playing for a more 'complete' experience, or should I get it now? Extrapolating from the release dates of the most recent versions, I guess 0.24 may perhaps release in June or August 2014? I am not sure if I can wait that long :D.

Hello, I am new here. I planning to get this game at some point and just saw the 0.24 Update Update article. Do you think I should wait for contracts and budgets to be released with 0.24 before buying and playing for a more 'complete' experience, or should I get it now? Extrapolating from the release dates of the most recent versions, I guess 0.24 may perhaps release in June or August 2014? I am not sure if I can wait that long :D.

I'd say go for it! There's already a lot of content already there to keep you busy, and if your experience is similar to most players, you'll probably spend most of the wait for 0.24 getting accustomed to the rigors of orbital mechanics. And enjoying a mass of explosions prior to mastery of said mechanics, which is always a delight.

If you ever get bored, there's something like...a hundred or so addons at least that are being actively maintained or worked on. O.o

Squad might have a fair bit of content in their game, but the sheer volume of content added by the community around KSP is like a tsunami.

Well, if you are bad at waiting I'd recommend you buy the game in two years or so when it's finished and don't follow development for a while, i.e. forget about KSP. I doubt that the price will go up much further and squad has had trouble releasing quality updates for a while and every one of them is taking a long time to develop. If you don't want to buy the game as is now, you might as well wait till it is finished and see if you like the endresult. The development has been all over the place recently and there is no telling what the final game will be like anymore.

Don't get me wrong here, I have been playing the game since it's first release and really liked the idea of it, but recently it looks like they don't know where they are going anymore and seem to spend their resources poorly. Don't forget that SQUAD is a marketing corp above all and lately marketing is the biggest part of their development...

Well, if you are bad at waiting I'd recommend you buy the game in two years or so when it's finished and don't follow development for a while, i.e. forget about KSP. I doubt that the price will go up much further and squad has had trouble releasing quality updates for a while and every one of them is taking a long time to develop. If you don't want to buy the game as is now, you might as well wait till it is finished and see if you like the endresult. The development has been all over the place recently and there is no telling what the final game will be like anymore.

Don't get me wrong here, I have been playing the game since it's first release and really liked the idea of it, but recently it looks like they don't know where they are going anymore and seem to spend their resources poorly. Don't forget that SQUAD is a marketing corp above all and lately marketing is the biggest part of their development...

I see your point actually. IIRC, 0.18 added planets, 0.19 added wheels, kerbal expressions, re-entry effects, removed the launch tower, remodelled the runway. 0.20 added seats, a wheel, and flags. 0.21 was pretty good, with new buildings, revert/removed end flight, changed SAS. 0.22 added science (not much of it). 0.23 added an engine, tweakables, and a bit more science. It's not that consistent.

Get it and get it now! JOIN THE KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM, WE HAVE BOOSTERS!

Some great comments from people already.

But I will add: There is a lot to do now, even though it's not complete. I just picked it up in 0.23, and have almost 500 hours in it. I've been to every planet/moon, built some planes and rovers, space stations, etc. I didn't run out of things to do until I made 100% successful missions to Eve and Tylo (the hardest places in the game to land and get home from, arguably). Moho is hard too, but only in terms of packing enough fuel for your interplanetary stages.

So I guess it depends on what kind of player you are. Are you self-motivated (that is, good at setting goals for yourself, based on "meta-goals" in the game)? Or do you prefer a more linear, directed gaming experience? Until career mode gets contracts and budgets, it's still just the same thing as sandbox mode, just with component unlocking from getting science data. The goals are all "meta-goals" currently, as nothing is presented to you as a primary goal, other than just unlocking things in the tech tree.

I'm just glad they haven't said that 0.24 is coming "soon"tm

And I think Cmdr Arn1e had it right on several points. But seriously, watch talk like this...

No, the update update is out, not the update itself, only an update on the status of development.

I would also want .25 to add mining.

You are talking about resources, aren't you?

because it leads to discussion about [redacted feature], and the mods have no qualms about locking down threads that become discussions about [redacted feature].

To OP:

Get the game now. Yes 0.24 might add contracts, but as the game is right now, it has a very playable game cycle in the current iteration of career mode. One cool thing, in this sandbox game, the "end-game" for career mode isn't a final boss or mission, but the ability to use all the parts that exist and explore the entire Kerbol Solar System.

I'm hoping it will re-open discussion of [redacted features] - I won't name them just in case, though!

Right now, there are no plans to reopen that conversation. Sorry, Arn1e.

Don't forget that SQUAD is a marketing corp above all and lately marketing is the biggest part of their development...

The marketing side of Squad does not hold sway or contribute to the decisions of the KSP team. I'm sorry you're not a fan of what is going on development-wise, but I just wanted to clear that up a little.

Thank you for clearing that up Rowsdowner; I'm hoping it might come back at some point in the future, I see it as a logical progression, as the introduction of Science, Contracts and possibly money/curency in a future update will get round the problems experienced when an attempt was made to implement before...

(If I've got it right, it was scrapped due to the need to gather stuff before you could even launch a rocket, which made things very un-kerbal... and someone [can't remember who] mentioned that the 3 types of resources [money, science and fuel] will be tradeable in some way with each other... just explaining my thinking behind it in this aside, really! NOT looking to continue the conversation, will edit this out if anyone tries ;P)

back on topic, I'm really looking forward to the fleshed-out Contracts System, VERY interested to see the sample contracts, hoping they will be very kerbal :D

That's not how it worked at all. Dig up some of the old dev posts about it, I think they're still lurking around reddit.

Thanks, looking now! Have already found the one about the things we have/are just about to get with .24:

"Career mode (want to begin implementation in 0.21)

Will get a list of missions that “kerbal-kind†want to see you achieve

Will get contracts for future missions based on achievements"

I like the sound of the second one, and kind-of what I was referring to when I said

really looking forward to the fleshed-out Contracts System, VERY interested to see the sample contracts, hoping they will be very kerbal

I shall continue digging about...

(P.S - I know it won't be for a long long time due to the complexity, and now I have found some of the reddit posts my curiosity about it is satisfied :wink:)

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

I, for one, am quite excited for budgets. I always end up making my designs *far* larger than they necessarily need to be, and would very much like a little bit of limitation so that I don't just end up sticking a liquid fuel booster on the bottom of every little probe that needs to go into orbit.

I hope they turn based warfare mode where you can get money use it to make weapons (also, weapons should be a thing) and use them to unite the factions. NORTH KERBEA IS BEST KERBEA ( North Kerbea should be a thing too)

Hmm...

Soil samples are worth Science. Science can be sold for Budget. So isnt this a form of mining already? :P

Nah... if the kerbals pulled out a pickaxe and dug a small hole wherever they landed, it might be classed as that, but I think they are just grabbing a handful of dirt, sticking it in a zip-lock bag and chucking it in the drawer marked 'samples' hehe!

oh, and shhhh... they don't want it talked about, so lets just abide, and anticipate the day when we can discuss it (it will be a good day :))

I hope they turn based warfare mode where you can get money use it to make weapons (also, weapons should be a thing) and use them to unite the factions. NORTH KERBEA IS BEST KERBEA ( North Kerbea should be a thing too)

Not likely IMO, I believe it has been said that the Dev's (can't remember exactly who, sorry!) do not like the idea of weaponization... so you might have to still rely on a mod for those things, even when the game comes out in it's full glory... (final release or 1.0)

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

Not likely IMO, I believe it has been said that the Dev's (can't remember exactly who, sorry!) do not like the idea of weaponization... so you might have to still rely on a mod for those things, even when the game comes out in it's full glory... (final release or 1.0)

Not that I would want the game to become a wargame, but the devs have said a lot of stuff over time and changed their opinion later, so no telling what will happen with weapons and the like, especially since multiplayer is coming (which the devs said for a long time would never come) and most of the guys who want multiplayer will ask for weapons to fight other players once multiplayer is done (actually I am so certain of that that you may quote me on this in the future).