The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

How do you guys think the budgets will affect Career modea easiness? I think it will improve the challenge by a lot, while not bringing it into dangerous levels.

I think right out of the gate it'll be a balance nightmare. I'm pretty sure current prices are just placeholders, so assuming those aren't audited we'll have under-powered parts costing a fortune and over-powered parts on the cheap. We'll need to re-consider that part-balance spreadsheet based on dollar-to-delta-v metrics.

Like players will quickly find that 1 large engine A/large tank A combo provides 1000 dV for $500K, but 10 tiny engine Bs/tiny tank Bs provides 1000 dV for $300K. I can see part counts exploding to exploit cost imbalances.

Hoping there will be a monthly stipend of some type. I am some what worried about missions lining up with what I want my space program to be. A monthly budget based on your reputation may solve this. Guess I can only wait and see. So far, the mod community has solved any issues I have with the game, so I'll count on them again if things aren't exactly what I want.

Once an economic system is built a lot of mods are going to need to be reviewed as well for their balance. Kethane's already a little cheat-y (admittingly, it's a fair bit of work, but it's also all the free gas you can carry), nevermind mods like Extraplanetary Launchpads... How do you budget balance a fuel-mining and rocket construction colony on some distant moon? Not that that's Squad's problem, but this adds a whole new layer of balancing.

Like players will quickly find that 1 large engine A/large tank A combo provides 1000 dV for $500K, but 10 tiny engine Bs/tiny tank Bs provides 1000 dV for $300K. I can see part counts exploding to exploit cost imbalances.

Which clearly balances out, in a way. :P

Or charge an "assembly fee" for each part used...

But yes I'm sure it will be rebalanced several times.

Edited by Pwnstarr

I think right out of the gate it'll be a balance nightmare. I'm pretty sure current prices are just placeholders, so assuming those aren't audited we'll have under-powered parts costing a fortune and over-powered parts on the cheap. We'll need to re-consider that part-balance spreadsheet based on dollar-to-delta-v metrics.

I am sure they will fix the part costs, if they don't the game is broken.

Contracts, hopefully more parts, and looks like we're also going to have a second gas giant (according to the wiki) http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Gas_planet_2

And It will bring us a new arsenal of moons to explore! I will finally have something to do with my arsenal of deep space probes.

Edit: Oh, so we don't know when gas planet 2 will come out then.

Edited by WindShieIds

"Looks like", huh? Nothing on that page says it will for certain be included in the 0.24, neither is it colored blue in the Planned Features (http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Planned_features)

To save ourselves from the Great Disappointment of the Second Gas Giant Absence, I'll assume it won't make it in for the 0.24. Unless you provide some legit sources. I'm watching you. Closely. :huh:

The Big Talking Head told me that Minmus really was made of green cheese and would be an edible life-support resource in 0.24. You have to mine it with Welsh Kerbals, that's what KSC West is for.

Or possibly not. Pointless speculation anyone?

other than your claim about gp2 (which i am filing away mentally as misinformation to sell to the north korean space agency) i too am looking forward to .24! i play in bursts around update releases, and when they mentioned experimentals in the tuesday dev notes a couple weeks ago, i got all my kerbals back ground side. now i see that was premature, but oh well

*shrug* :rolleyes:

Edited by r4pt0r