The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

I know. I mentioned something to that effect in the media release thread. But there were at least a few people crying foul.

EDIT: Scott has another video up on his normal channel. I'd say it's safe to assume we'll be seeing more pop up soon.

Both Harv and Danny have videos up now.

It has been mentioned that the Kerbin day will now be 51 seconds shorter.

My question regarding the shortened day is.. will this be a change in the way the timepieces work, meaning units will roll over at a different increment, or is the rotation of Kerbin actually different?

If the rotational rate was changed this could have some side effects.

It could cause a few 3rd party tools to break which calculate when to launch into particular orbits from KSC. If the rotational rate is changed then half a year into game-play Kerbin would be facing near opposite direction from what would be the case in 23.5. Also if this were the case Geostationary orbit would be at a different altitude. (just slightly)

My question regarding the shortened day is.. will this be a change in the way the timepieces work, meaning units will roll over at a different increment, or is the rotation of Kerbin actually different?

It could cause a few 3rd party tools to break which calculate when to launch into particular orbits from KSC. If the rotational rate is changed then half a year into game-play Kerbin would be facing near opposite direction from what would be the case in 23.5. Also if this were the case Geostationary orbit would be at a different altitude. (just slightly)

if it is shorter (or just changed) and does cause those applications and the common knowledge to go out the window due to obsolete-ness. I think that would kinda be a good thing, and in fact i hope every now and then the devs should tweak a few things with the planets like that. It adds a bit of variety to the flights and missions. and would open the doors for more people to try and make a system to track the changes and help spread the new knowledge about.

As I understand, the actual rotation of Kerbin is slightly slowed, so yes, things like the altitude of KSO would be changed slightly (I haven't seen anyone calculate what it would be now). I assume it would be slightly lower as it would have a slightly shorter period. Perhaps, more annoyingly, is the fact that instead of being and even 6 hours, it would now be 5 hours, 59 minutes, and 9 seconds :D

I would hope they wouldn't rush it out the door incomplete just to hit the anniversary, and I surely hope they wouldn't sit on a fully completed new version just because it's not yet that anniversary.

Its Modding Monday after all, and .24 is the best mod ever, right?

Look, everyone, we all can agree that KSP is awesome and 0.24 will be amazing, no matter what the hell happens.

The've been preparing for so long, we know that it's amazing.

Anywho, Pointless Talker AWAY!!:sticktongue:

I have checked back and noticed 0.24 is not out yet. No problem. I'll go do something else.

For about 3 minutes.

Then I'll check back again, and notice 0.24 is not out yet.

This will repeat until I go to sleep.

Then I will wake up like I suspect it's Christmas morning and scoot to my computer.

Then I'll check, and notice 0.24 is not out yet. No problem. I'll go do something else.

For about 3 minutes.

Then I'll check back again, and notice 0.24 is not out yet.....

Without any outside information I would guess that they just switched the Kerbin day tracker to solar days instead of sidereal days. A very quick calculation shows that there are 426.09 sidereal Kerbin days in one year. Take off 51 seconds and you get 427.09 days in a Kerbin year. There is, by definition, one more solar day per year than there are sidereal days. So this would make much more sense then pointlessly changing Kerbin's orbit or rotation rates.

Derp. Or forget all of that because it's the other way around. A solar day would be slightly longer than a sidereal day...

Edited by DMagic

I have checked back and noticed 0.24 is not out yet. No problem. I'll go do something else.

For about 3 minutes.

Then I will wake up like I suspect it's Christmas morning and scoot to my computer.

Then I'll check, and notice 0.24 is not out yet. No problem. I'll go do something else.

For about 3 minutes.

Wow, that is literally my day today...

Except I search the Forums in the gap...

For about 3 minutes.

For about 3 minutes.

Lol

at least I'm not alone

I'm so keen to get in there and the anticipation is starting to bug me :huh:. Mmm Think I might entertain myself with 0.23.5 for a bit ... And saygood bye to bob again ;.;

I would hope they wouldn't rush it out the door incomplete just to hit the anniversary, and I surely hope they wouldn't sit on a fully completed new version just because it's not yet that anniversary.

lol, if there is an anniversary they sit on a finished version to release it, that's how it has been since they employed actual community managers (so happy dr's reign is over).

Still it will be out soon anyway, so everyone relax!

The only problem I see is, that apart from contracts (some of them rather weirdly spawning objects in space that should not be there) and two new rcs engines, there seem to be no new features in this update, which makes more than half a year for an update a rather long time and might induce some whining after release...

lol, if there is an anniversary they sit on a finished version to release it, that's how it has been since they employed actual community managers (so happy dr's reign is over).

The only problem I see is, that apart from contracts (some of them rather weirdly spawning objects in space that should not be there) and two new rcs engines, there seem to be no new features in this update, which makes more than half a year for an update a rather long time and might induce some whining after release...

Pretty much.

I am looking forward to the rescue missions but, think it's bizarre that the Kerbals that spawn for rescue just float out there in a spacesuit. Why not at least spawn them in a capsule or small derelict ship? It's like they'rd a kid calling for a ride because they missed the bus.

Frank Kerman needs rescue. He's mysteriously floating around Vall. You have 5 years to rescue him before he runs out of air... Sillyness.

Contracts/budgets are the biggest addition to the career mode since its inception. Unless you hate the idea of career mode it'll completely change how you play KSP and through the procedural contracts the replayability of career mode has been greatly increased. Also it's not the only feature: there's a complete UI overhaul, experimental 64-bit support. It has also been only 4 months since the release of the last update (while the title 0.23.5 might fool people, it was quite the full update) not more than half a year.

Well, the Kraken ate my save last night. So much for finishing off my missions. Back to the waiting game it is.

My save got eaten too :( I got a null ref error and Jeb got stuck in a T pose just as I saved on the verge of mohole. Now every time I load he falls down and dies and even if I hack gravity he cannot be "woken up". It was hilarious watching him tumble down increasing his rpm every time he bounces off the wall though. He got to incredible speeds at the end.

My save got eaten too :( I got a null ref error and Jeb got stuck in a T pose just as I saved on the verge of mohole. Now every time I load he falls down and dies and even if I hack gravity he cannot be "woken up". It was hilarious watching him tumble down increasing his rpm every time he bounces off the wall though. He got to incredible speeds at the end.

I got hit with

on my last two missions. Reloading fixed, but the encounters were hopelessly ruined by that point. No time to really do much else until .24, so...I'll just wait :P