The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

Are these bugs so game breaking that they can't just be hotfixed a day or two later just like every other game does? They certainly don't sound like it, and we are still in the alpha stage after all.

They could, but it's bad practice. Can you imagine the backlash if the community found out that they purposely released bugged software? And it only makes the workload worse if/when the community finds /other/ bugs that need to be dealt with ASAP.

The reason other companies do this is because they've sent the "final" version of the game off to be burned onto disc or approved by Steam, etc, usually a couple weeks in advance (called "going gold"). They may find new bugs in the time between going gold and release. That's where day 1 patches usually come from. But Squad doesn't follow that release model.

So are people ready to add another 30 pages to the thread today? xD

OK, I think things may be a bit calmer today since we probably burned ourselves out yesterday. My feeling is there s a chance we might get it today, but if we don't get it today, it'll probably be next week before we get it ;.;

Personally, the fact that they seemed to pull back from "very soon" to just "soonâ„¢" an the fact that streamers still aren't allowed to show it aren't very optimistic for a release this week anymore ;.;

As for DRE ... yep, this may be one problem ... another challende (at least for me) is, that I prefer a narrow angle of reentry (so that the rentry effects stay so low, that I don´t even need a heatshield) ... considering hat now the distance of your landing spot from KSC plays a major role, I will have to calculate my reentries better than before, in order to get the spaceship to go down near KSC

Unless your landing an entire rocket à la SpaceX, your measly command pod + parachute probably won't make that much of a difference for your budget whether you're close to KSC or far away. Contracts are ample and well-rewarded. Recovery costs are a bonus, but not a necessity for keeping your entire program afloat.

Just a thought; three ways to keep your program viable at very low cost:

1) hyper efficient rockets

2) reusable SSTO / space planes

3) multi purpose vehicles you can leave in orbit and refit yourself after missions (kethane and kas)

It doesn't really make sense to smash everything through the atmosphere to refit :)

Also re: TAC, that might be an argument for leaving preemptive rescue contractions in orbit around some bodies (mun and minmus for sure, duna, etc.)

It`s like a sadistic game at this point.

I`d rather get the update 2 days later (what`s 2 days on a timescale measured in months?) but closer to the media release and with some advance notice...

That would be a sign of a better back end work flow to me.

That`s just me though.

I`d rather a known thing at a known time in the future than a maybe thing maybe now, maybe next week, maybe we won`t release it at all!

It`s like a gypsy wedding reception, they don`t tell the guests where it will be until everyone else is there for the reason that they do not trust them to not trash the place before everyone else gets there...

Something I've been wondering, as I'm not a computer person.

My laptop has 4GB of RAM. If I download the 64-bit version of KSP (when it is released), will it work properly? I don't want KSP to use all of my RAM and to crash my computer (is that even how it works?). Is the 64-bit version supposed to be used with >4GB only?

I'd rather they delay it to fix the bugs than release it and have everyone whine about the bugs for months to the next release.

Exactly this. There will still be whining no matter what, but in my eyes they're trying to put out a more prepared update, and I'm good with that.

My laptop has 4GB of RAM. If I download the 64-bit version of KSP (when it is released), will it work properly? I don't want KSP to use all of my RAM and to crash my computer (is that even how it works?). Is the 64-bit version supposed to be used with >4GB only?

There is no harm in using the 64-bit version if your system is 64-bit. Just that it makes no sense to use the 64-bit version below 4GB RAM.

It will work, assuming your OS is 64-bit. You will see less benefit from it though, as you'll hit your physical RAM limit about the same time you would have hit the 32GB address limit.

I wonder why they wouldn't just issue weeklies like Minecraft did during the end of its alpha/beta and beyond. People who can wait for things would be satisfied, they could get feedback about every weeks progress, and hopefully make their development process easier. I always liked that about that process, if you were impatient, they'd let you play with the broken, buggy, build, and the Devs got great bug feedback week by week. It also meant that major versions were far more stable.

It will work, assuming your OS is 64-bit. You will see less benefit from it though, as you'll hit your physical RAM limit about the same time you would have hit the 32GB address limit.

I see. I think it's time for a new laptop.

They said there are some (minor) bugs in the 64-bit version still that wont get fixed before release. Considering with 4GB system ram you arent benefitting from the 64-bit version, I'd just stick with the 32-bit one.

I'd rather they delay it to fix the bugs than release it and have everyone whine about the bugs for months to the next release.

I totally understand that the user base is too big by now that you cannot bother the average user with buggy software, but KSP is still alpha software nevertheless und we all signed up for early access. I think many people here would love to play around with all the new features as soon as they are available and also help to iron out the bugs in a civilized manner, because this is exactly what early access is about, right?

Imho, Squad could just make their experimental versions publicly available from time to time and everybody would be happy.