[WIP]"KONQUEST:Modular components for permanent bases" by ASET (14/05/2014)

alexustas

ASET is happy to present a new product,

“KONQUESTâ€Â

modular components for permanent bases

2RfT29Wl.jpg

What is "KONQUEST"?

It is a kit of parts (D=5m) for constructing complete bases on the surface of planets and other bodies with non-negligible gravity.

KONQUEST contains:

• A Crew Accommodation module (CAM), containing four comfortable single rooms.
    Length - 1.5m, capacity - 4 kerbals.
  • A Life Activity module (LAM) for rest and recuperation, socializing, eating snacks and performing other hygienic and medical procedures and exercises.
    Capacity - up to 8 kerbals, length 3m.
  • A Science module (SCM) for scientific research, experiments and storage of resulting data. Capacity:
    Up to 5 kerbals, length - 3m.
  • Greenhouse module (GM) providing natural oxygen and food for life support.
    Length - 1.5m.
  • Service Module (SM) - A light, unpressurized structural module designed to store other components within -- fuel tanks, generators, batteries, anything provided it doesn’t exceed 1.25m in diameter.
    Length - 1.5m.
  • Service Module/Adapter (SMA) - a light unpressurised hemispherical structural module analogous in function to the SM.
    Smaller diameter - 2.5m. Length - 1.5m.
  • Cargo module (CM) -- a light, unpressurised storage module with side doors and extending ramps for storage of vehicles and large components. Two of these modules can be chained together.
    Lengths - 1.5 and 3m.
    Maximum cargo size ~ 3.8x4.7x5.7 m.
  • Landing gear module (LM) -- a light unpressurised module with slots for landing legs or other similar devices, capable of storing miscellaneous equipment like the Service Module.
    It might be possible to use it to contain small engines or RCS thrusters.
    Length - 0.5m.
  • Low profile module cap (LPC).

Also,
  • An extending 8m diameter heat shield (DennyTX volunteered to make this part.)

Of course, various adapters, connectors and other auxiliary equipment is possible, send in your suggestions.

What can I do with "KONQUEST"?

Thanks to the modular design, you can build bases of any conceivable configuration, extending them over time as needed. Service modules permit you to use third-party components and continue to improve your base while keeping the same visual design and standard sizes.

What else would I need?

• Obviously, to make the most of KONQUEST you will also need:
  • A life support mod of one kind or another.
  • A crew fitness and mental health mods (hopefully, some of the ideas discussed previously in the forums will materialize)
  • Crew and resource management mods.
  • Resource mining mods.
  • Science mods.
  • Other general building and base functionality mods like KAS, IR, DR, SCANsat, RT, PF, PP, etc.
  • IVA related mods like RPM, VesselView, KerbTrack, etc.
  • Something else that might turn up in the future.

What kind of problems should I expect?

These things are big. VERY big and VERY massive. :) You will have to put in a lot of effort to deliver them to target safely and assemble them at the destination. Determining how exactly to do that is your mission. Good luck!

In the plans:

Stage 1:

- Modeling and texturing of all the components.

- Basic configuration files.

- Initial publication and testing, patching as needed.

Stage 2:

- Optimizing of textures and models for performance.

- Publication and testing.

Stage 3:

- Game balancing for mass, durability, capacity, etc.

- Publication and testing.

Stage 4:

- Adding support for various mods mentioned above as needed.

- Patching, testing and publication.

Stage 5:

- Creating IVAs

- Publishing and testing.

- Releasing IVAs as a separate addon to the main package.

Design of "KONQUEST" modules is based on this great illustration...

izVZsS4.jpg

WIP gallery:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

WIP videos:

Also, "Konquest Test Mission 03 - "SkyCrane" "

http://youtu.be/x6z0evu_-Tg

Javascript is disabled. View full album

assembling tests:

http://youtu.be/xFZs8789_vo

http://youtu.be/fc0hxzvjwVg

http://youtu.be/uqjnnYtWq9U

Questions to the audience:

- These modules are not meant to take off and land crewed. All kerbals within should die when acceleration exceeds about ~2G. Any ideas how to pull that off?

I’ll be happy to hear any comments, requests and suggestions. I also hope that plugin developers will show interest and come up with colony and station management addons.

Edited by alexustas

Looks cool.

Each part seems so short. I'd love to see double-length (or more) versions of each component.

Being able to have all elements in one 'pill' sounds a bit boring, and coupling multiple pills together (as shown using the 90* cubic coupler) is a fun thing to do.

Looks awesome! How will we ever get those things landed on places like Duna?

Are you going to provide a config file for CLS? First step towards mental health is going to be able to close the bedroom door when Jeb starts shooting off his mouth about being the second man on the Minimus.

These modules are not meant to take off and land crewed. All kerbals within should die when acceleration exceeds about ~2G. Any ideas how to pull that off?

Porkjet has a plugin that prevents Kerbals from entering until a module is 'activated' (in his case, the modules are inflated.) It would keep the pods from being crewed at least.

Deadly Reentry can kill Kerbals when the G-forces rise above a certain level.

I'm not sure how willing either one of the authors would be to license the code but those are two off the top of my head that would be a start in developing something like what I think you're looking for.

Are there any provisions for compatibility with RoverDude's Modular Kolonization System mod? It takes advantage of TAC, Kethane, and EL, but has its own configs.

I love the look of both of these mods and I'd really like to have some variation in module types for bases. Either way, I could envision a separate save for each of these, but I would really like to use them at the same time.

:cool: another nice product from ASET !

Looks great for now.

Questions to the audience:

- These modules are not meant to take off and land crewed. All kerbals within should die when acceleration exceeds about ~2G. Any ideas how to pull that off?

AFAIK, in every single sci-fi movie and novel, base modules are usually send compact/compacted and drop as-is on the ground, then deploy/build by people on the ground already there or coming after.

Too bad animated part lame so much yet in KSP (I mean we can't create "drop water to expand" things right now :/ )

2G seems a bit low, unless they're not properly attached, it will create kerbals porridge :D (good food for other colonists).

By the way there is quite an issue with kerbals as they're supposed to have a mass of 94 kgs (according to some tools like Mechjeb), 94 kgs !!! it means almost a ton on Kerbin, for smaller than human being creatures. Are they made of ununoctium (the heaviest element, yet unknown) ?

Pure brilliance!

I knew at some point someone would decide to build some proper surface base modules!

Are there any plans to build the rover that is shown as an outline?

By the way there is quite an issue with kerbals as they're supposed to have a mass of 94 kgs (according to some tools like Mechjeb), 94 kgs !!! it means almost a ton on Kerbin, for smaller than human being creatures. Are they made of ununoctium (the heaviest element, yet unknown) ?

Kerbals themselfs have a mass of 32kg, the rest is their spacesuit with the heavy EVA tanks and stuff.

About the mod, looks veeeeeeeeeeery promising!

This is just AMAZING. I could make you a small plugin that adds kerbals dying when the acceleration is above 2 gees in these modules if you want.

Yes want it, and thank you very much for your response!