[WIP]"KONQUEST:Modular components for permanent bases" by ASET (14/05/2014)

alexustas

Sorry for the delay. I can only say the delay has been productive, because I have been studying the things needed to continue the work on KONQUEST:

- I have figured out the creation of suspension-based landing legs, which is required for the LGM.

- I have also figured out the methods of creating rover wheels. Which, currently, has no direct relation to KONQUEST, but who knows... :) This turned out to be so interesting that I have also created a whole unplanned mod.

- Talked Mihara into making one small but very handy plugin which will make some operations with modules more convenient, as well as making them much more customizable. I’m testing it right now.

- Thanks to all of the above, I have finally settled on the design for LGM and I’m modeling it right now.

As usual, my work and daily tasks leave little time for this. :(

LGM? What does that mean? Is that a piece of a Habitat or a new type of habitat?

Honestly, how do you get textures THIS good? :confused: (really asking though)

This model has a lot of elements, but most of them are primitive shapes, boxes and cylinders with minimal deviations from that shape. Texturing those is easy, 'engineering' the leg took a lot more time. :)

This model has a lot of elements, but most of them are primitive shapes, boxes and cylinders with minimal deviations from that shape. Texturing those is easy, 'engineering' the leg took a lot more time. :)

Thats really the most amazing part - your mechanical engineering of the parts. Each motion and movement looks perfect. Are you an engineer who happens to model or what?

Yes, Landing Gear Module (or "LM" in OP :) )

Landing Leg Model w/textures and animation

http://youtu.be/uKyyRJjY1yY

That is excellent! :D Really great design. I'm assuming that the Konquest component will be a disc containing 2 of these legs internally, with doors that open to allow the legs to extend?

A few questions. Will this landing leg be a separate component, or permanently attached to the LGM? If separate (which I'm really hoping for), is there any chance you'd consider making some aerodynamic doors or shields for this leg, for protection against reentry, so that we could use it in other applications? That would be really awesome!

Anyway, keep up the marvelous work, Alex. Hopefully you're almost done with Konquest and will be releasing soon, I'm looking forward to this mod more than any other right now, except maybe B9, lol. :)

Later! :D

Interesting. Is that landing leg intended to be fitted external to the Konquest pods, installed within a purpose built, inline part with opening bays for the legs to extend through, or to supplement an inline landing gear part that has yet to be revealed?

Edit: based on OP, these fit inside a purpose built pod, right?

Also, I like everyone here would love an interim release, I mean, it's all done now, right? Other than the greenhouse at least.

Edited by Gryphorim

For the love of god! Either stop teasing us with such awesome stuff and let us play with it, or at least release teasers that suck more so they don't drive us crazy while we wait.

I agree, however I would love to get the full system completed and not have to worry about things I make in the interim breaking because of a new update. I will say though you released ALCOR originally in a state that was nothing like the final product. If you compare the original release to the final release its like night and day. It seems you are much further along with this then you were with ALCOR's original release.

disc containing 2 of these legs internally, with doors that open to allow the legs to extend?

Yes

Will this landing leg be a separate component

Yes. Radial attached.

so that we could use it in other applications?

of course :)

Thats is the best looking landing gear I have ever seen, will konquest have its own landing engines perhaps they could fold out as well the reason I ask is that I dont think anything else would do it justice except something modeled and textured by you

Yes

http://youtu.be/CWvsvvW82Gs

Yes. Radial attached.

of course :)

Good grief, you really are gifted at this stuff! :cool:

Only...

Well, I kind of hate to mention it, because that animation is so very cool, but... I was expecting a wider stance. Just, you know, for stability on uneven ground, or in a Duna windstorm. If such a thing is ever added to the game, that is. :)

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Looking forward to 'Konquest' more and more every time you post an update.

Later! :D

Nice, I can't wait to combine this with HOME 2.0, and umbra modular colonization. It appears you have the best solution to vehicle cargo. Now about that 2g thing... No. In real life the LES ramps up to 24g. Most rocket launches are about 3.5g, Apollo re-entered at 6.6g. Colonel John Stapp was subjected to 35g and determined it was reasonable enough to walk away from. The highest amount of g forces any human has survived was 178g by British Formula One driver David Purely. So 2g death? NO.

Thats is the best looking landing gear I have ever seen, will konquest have its own landing engines perhaps they could fold out as well the reason I ask is that I dont think anything else would do it justice except something modeled and textured by you

If everything works as I hope, I'll make a part that is completely configurable by the player, which will contain all the components of maneuvering-descent-landing systems. Using Mihara's new JSIPartUtilities plugin, you'll be able to select elements for every mission with tweakables, like "enable parachute compartment hatch" and "enable RCS nozzles". In the base configuration, the only thing the module will have is the lower hatches for landing legs.

But remember that builtin systems will not be a catch-all solution to every landing, I'll see to that :cool:

Eventually the player will need to devise their own, more complex and effective landing systems.

y3TkDwy.png

This is bordering on mental abuse the longer you make us wait for this.

I think I have learned how to cope rather well, however. I just have Jeb toss a rocket at me... and fail to dodge. It effectively puts me in a coma for a few weeks and really does wonders for weight loss.

This is bordering on mental abuse the longer you make us wait for this.

I think I have learned how to cope rather well, however. I just have Jeb toss a rocket at me... and fail to dodge. It effectively puts me in a coma for a few weeks and really does wonders for weight loss.

I know right!! I don't even want to play the game unless it has this in it. The game is tainted just knowing that this out there and not in game yet.