To Build a City: The Development of the MBCS and Colonization of Tylo [Image Heavy]

NGTOne

After a long hiatus, the Ministry of Improbable Spacecraft is back, better than ever, with our newest project: the MBCS, or Modular Base Construction System. This system is meant to promote the construction of large, high-density surface colonies on other bodies. In this vein, it is being developed as essentially a city-building kit, and the whole system will (at a later date) be test-driven on the most difficult colonization target in the Kerbol system: Tylo.

But, for now, here's what's happened so far:

Currently, two modules have been test-flown: the Colony Core and the Agri-Tower. Standard test-flight procedure calls for a launch into a 90-degree orbit (polar) around Kerbin, and a landing approximately 1 hour later at the north pole of Kerbin. The structures are then assembled into the prototype base located there (currently pending the development of suitable corridor/connector pieces).

Design criteria for any component:

1. Must fulfil a (actual or roleplayed) function in the colony.

2. Must be aesthetically pleasing/visually interesting.

3. Must be, by itself, and with no other support, capable of autonomously reaching and landing on any terrestrial body in the Kerbol system from the KSC.

The system is inspired by the work of Temstar, though on a vastly larger scale and using Lack Luster Labs and NovaPunch components. MechJeb is used for flight, though only due to sheer, unconquerable lagginess.

The current mission plan consists of one test flight for each component, as well as construction of a prototype base at Kerbin's north pole. The required components in each phase will then be stacked up in a 300x300 orbit, waiting for the next Jool transfer window.

Currently planned phases:

Phase 1: Initial colony construction. Goal is a population of 1000 Kerbals and related support infrastructure.

Phase 2: Colony expansion. Goal is a total population of 2000, with some industrial facilities.

Phase 3: Colony completion. Will be ongoing, with addition of new components as desired.

Anyways, what you've all been waiting for:

Test-Flying the Colony Core

Test Flight of the Agri-Tower

Edited by NGTOne

The Colony Core is the structure at the heart of any colony. Combining recreational space, utilities, and agriculture into one potent package, it forms the base for any further expansion. It can house up to 36 Kerbals in comfort, and provide for them until more permanent colonial infrastructure is established. Like all MBCS components, it is capable of reaching and landing on any body in the Kerbol system.

Screenshots from the tests:

IfiZOJE.png

Testing an assembly rover design by rolling the Colony Core off the pad. Note Jeb standing in front of it for scale (and to repair any wheel damage).

WT9liz6.png

The Colony Core, right before liftoff of the first test flight. The small cluster of boosters in the middle serves to replace launch clamps (which, quite simply, don't work at these weights and sizes).

oBvSisZ.png

Liftoff.

Q6O4YP1.png

Dropping the first stage, a few km over KSC.

bV96sV2.png

Dropping the second-to-last booster stage, most of the way to orbit.

66MpUQq.png

The final booster stage falls away, and the transfer stage (which is also used for final orbital burn) kicks in.

ufHRafv.png

In orbit, showing off the transfer stage.

itKesjB.png

The full orbital package. Rather heavy. The building itself can be seen in the middle.

ZzPLT6N.png

The transfer stage jets away using a set of small SRBs after deorbit for landing at the north pole.

wRAdlSs.png

Atmospheric interface over the pole.

CD6gTmr.png

Awfully hot for one of the coldest spots on the planet.

bzLRpA0.png

A few km above the terrain. The outrigger legs (which serve to stabilize and support the skycrane upon landing) are clearly visible.

3XiSnU7.png

Coming in for a landing.

l7XKtWa.png

Picture-perfect landing on the north pole. Doesn't hurt that the terrain is completely flat.

AJhANdS.png

The skycrane lifts off.

npVW6i5.png

The Colony Core, in all its glory. Some skycrane bits can be seen in the background.

The Agri-Tower forms a key part of the industrial base of any colonization effort. By stacking its greenhouses vertically in a double helix, this distinctive structure allows for highly efficient production of plant-type foodstuffs for up to 200 Kerbals. Around the base, it features a set of agricultural research greenhouses, dedicated to finding new ways to feed Kerbals in strange places. Like all MBCS components, it is capable of reaching and landing on any body in the Kerbol system.

The tower itself weighs approximately 510 tons.

Screenshots of the first flight test:

ufqLuZw.png

Sitting on the pad. Liftoff mass is approximately 24,000 tons.

gaWNxuW.png

Liftoff.

18vevZP.png

The first stage drops, about 3 km over KSC.

hiW0ma0.png

Gravity-turning a massive building isn't easy.

ABd9wiZ.png

Most of the way through the gravity turn, with one stage to go before we start burning for orbit.

H1XcL26.png

Dropping the last lifter stage.

stIL6I8.png

The transfer stage flies away on a set of SRBs after the deorbit burn.

hFpcwA6.png

Still hot here.

D4BHS9O.png

Descending towards the prototype base site.

qEWdpr1.png

Deceleration burn, to bring us to the correct speed and position for landing.

AeKxahR.png

Landing near the prototype Colony Core.

3fTD6G7.png

A picture-perfect touchdown. Not bad for 1630 tons of building and rocket.

J8U8xaz.png

The skycrane (actually split into 4 parts) flies away. A useful side effect of the crazy number of reaction wheels is that each component stays upright, but has a sideways (away from the building) component to its flight. The Colony Core is in the background.

XWvk3WY.png

The Agri-Tower, showing off its distinct double helix design.

I was looking at this on the ferry on the way home now on my phone, and I didn't quite realise what sort of scale you are working with here. I can't believe that you have designed something that ludicrously gargantuan that is also capable of touchdown on Tylo!

There is no way I can compete on this scale, my computer would commit harakiri, but I am taking notes and referring to Temstar's thread in the planning of my next project for Duna.

Looking forward to seeing your computer rocking in a corner soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.