[1.1] Improved Chase Camera v1.6 (Apr 23)

BahamutoD

Improved Chase Camera

Version 1.6

Download from SpaceDock

Source on Github

This plugin gives you the option to make the camera follow your surface velocity vector.

This gives you a better feeling on how your plane is moving, its angle of attack, sideslip, etc.

Press Tab to toggle.

(You can change the key in settings.cfg).

Toggling it off and on will bring it back to the default view angle.

Set autoSnap to true in the config to have it always snap back to default angle.

The default view angle can be changed in the config file as well.

Two modes:

1. Toggle while in Locked mode: Camera rolls with plane.

2. Toggle while in Free mode: Camera stays level.

Chase mode:

Free chase mode:

GPLv3

Edited by BahamutoD

Amazing idea! One quick question...most 3rd-person cameras from flight sims and combat video games will keep the camera level during turns. Is there any way to do that with the chase cam in KSP?

Yeah, I was trying to figure out how to do that. I only found values for camera heading and pitch. I might be able to do it by modifying the Free camera mode instead of chase cam mode. Its on the todo list!

Edited by BahamutoD

BahamutoD strike again ! :) nice plug-in.

Does it also magically fix camera weird behaviour under/in building ? Like under the two hangars on the island runway.

Nothke looks quite sad regarding his Kerbin City further development because of that.

This should be the standard 'in atmo' chase cam!

Instead of keeping the camera level during rolls you might want to consider programming some kind of delay, or even better a smoothing. Small roll inputs will not effect the camera but during large sustained rolls the camera will catch up.

BahamutoD strike again ! :) nice plug-in.

Does it also magically fix camera weird behaviour under/in building ? Like under the two hangars on the island runway.

Nothke looks quite sad regarding his Kerbin City further development because of that.

Haha I'm starting too many projects without finishing some of them -_- I just have all these ideas...

It works fine underneath the hangers, but then again stock Chase camera works fine under the hangers too. Only auto/free look acts weird there.

This should be the standard 'in atmo' chase cam!

Instead of keeping the camera level during rolls you might want to consider programming some kind of delay, or even better a smoothing. Small roll inputs will not effect the camera but during large sustained rolls the camera will catch up.

I did consider this as well. I think what I'll try to do is have it work that way when its activated in Chase mode, and if its activated in Free mode, it stays level.

Edited by BahamutoD

The video is impressive. I seriously need to try this - for a guy with a B.S. in aerospace engineering (with a concentration in aerodynamics), the fact that I've never successfully flown a plane in KSP for more than about 10 minutes - and never landed one - is a mite embarrassing. Maybe this will help.

I've been wanting this forever. Would second the request for smoothing of camera rotation, if possible.

A thousand thankyous. Expect this to be a stock feature by 1.0.

This is awesome. I always wondered why the chase-cam in KSP felt so unnatural. It's because in all games where you fly planes (HAWX, etc) the camera is fixed along the velocity vector.

Thanks! I'll download it asap.

Updated to v1.1!

So fast right?

I have to give credit to r4m0n, I got help from looking at mechjeb code to get the vessel's heading/pitch/rotation (it was needed for the new camera mode).

Press left-alt while in FREE mode to activate Improved Free Chase Cam.

Same as before, but the camera doesn't roll.

I also added a thing that makes it so the camera snaps back to the set position behind the plane when you're not dragging the view around. (I haven't implemented this yet to the other chase cam mode) Comments or complaints on that?

Demonstration video:

Haha I'm starting too many projects without finishing some of them -_- I just have all these ideas...

It works fine underneath the hangers, but then again stock Chase camera works fine under the hangers too. Only auto/free look acts weird there.

:) if it can give you inspiration (to go back in time), I believe your anim plug-in and your "sniper" thrusters are promising.

Updated to v1.1!

So fast right?

I have to give credit to r4m0n, I got help from looking at mechjeb code to get the vessel's heading/pitch/rotation (it was needed for the new camera mode).

Press left-alt while in FREE mode to activate Improved Free Chase Cam.

Same as before, but the camera doesn't roll.

I also added a thing that makes it so the camera snaps back to the set position behind the plane when you're not dragging the view around. (I haven't implemented this yet to the other chase cam mode) Comments or complaints on that?

:mad: TOO fast ! :P

So fast, complainers can't even think of having complaint !

But I have one, your snap back is too fast, it looks are very annoying in fact as it is in your video, I remember a game or two doing that, it's a great pain in something on our back, maybe delay and/or on/off key make it perfect !

(Imagine you drive a rover and put camera in a given angle for whatever reason, and each time you just release the mouse... the camera goes back where it was, and yes, this mode is not for plane only, right ?).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.