Forums to be down for 2 days for upgrade.

pslytely psycho

Ahhhh! I'll be a gibbering mess in the corner of the room, hugging my computer for support...cooing gently.."It will be back soon, it will be better soon, is it back yet? Soon, soon, now? Soon, it will be better, soon, soon.

Posted by Rowsdower...

"Hi, everyone.

On Thursday, May 22nd, we will be upgrading the forum to a new version of vBulletin. In order to complete the upgrade, a downtime of at least 48 hours will be necessary. We're sorry for the inconvenience, but there will be no way to time warp through this, either. Upon the forum's return, you'll find a sleeker look and a lot of changes under the hood that will make for a much improved experience for all.

Thanks! "

Seriously though, I am looking forward to an improved forum. Maybe search will return less random results? Hope, Hope?

'Splosions are the sprinkles on your ice cream sundae....Jeb :huh::cool::confused:

Ahhhh! I'll be a gibbering mess in the corner of the room, hugging my computer for support...cooing gently.."It will be back soon, it will be better soon, is it back yet? Soon, soon, now? Soon, it will be better, soon, soon.

If that is a real situation.. You might take it as a sign. Go outside a little bit more :cool:

Kasper, I demand to know if the search will be better! Tell me your secreeeeetssssssss!

Ehhh, perhaps. Haven't really looked into the details of vBulletin's search engines :P

Hopefully, it won't be down for over a week like what happened the last time there was an upgrade when unexpected problems showed up during the conversion process.

No unexpected problems are expected (heh)

Should have been done today.....I won't be home for much of the evening. Go go Godzilla!

An update to the search engine will be a welcomed thing, the one now seems to give me the posts no matter what I put in to search.

Hopefully attachments will work after the upgrade.

I don't believe we'll be enabling attachments, for obvious security, storage and bandwidth reasons :)

This is to move to Curse, right?

(I keed,I keed)

Oh, you... :D

---

Edit: by the way, if any of you have been thinking of joining the forum moderation team (and are over 18 years of age), send a PM to Rowsdower!

Edited by KasperVld

Edit: by the way, if any of you have been thinking of joining the forum moderation team (and are over 18 years of age), send a PM to Rowsdower!

Darn. I've actually been thinking about this a lot lately, because multiple times i've shown up at a thread with a continuing argument, and put an end to it with simple kind words. Actually once i managed to kill a thread entirely just because nobody knew what to say. there are other instances, but i wont go on about them. but i'm only 16. :/ maybe in two years, you guys will still accept a new moderator.

So I did a quick search and found 3 irrelevant mentions, so I figured this might be a good place to ask the staff:

Has the Heartbleed bug ever been a threat to this site, and if so, has it been fixed?

If not, this temporary shutdown might be a perfect chance to look into fixing it.

And if it's already been fixed/was never a problem and I didn't know...

Well, feel free to disregard this post. :P

But as far as I'm aware, no dev's ever said anything about the bug.

So I did a quick search and found 3 irrelevant mentions, so I figured this might be a good place to ask the staff:

Has the Heartbleed bug ever been a threat to this site, and if so, has it been fixed?

If not, this temporary shutdown might be a perfect chance to look into fixing it.

Considering that the forums don't have an SSL endpoint (there's no https:// version of it) the answer is no. As for other SQUAD "things" I don't know.

EDIT: As with all things security, you should change your passwords often (use a password manager) and never share passwords between sites (again password manager helps).

Edited by MentalPower
Web hygiene

It was never a problem. The only part of the site that uses SSL is the Store and it didn't use OpenSSL :)

If that is a real situation.. You might take it as a sign. Go outside a little bit more :cool:

HERITIC! HOW DARE YOU INSULT THE HOLINESS OF THE FORUMS!

(I've been playing too much Halo lately)