Forum Upgrade/Downtime starting May 22nd

SQUAD

<p>On Thursday, May 22nd, we will be upgrading our official forum to a new version of vBulletin. In order to complete the upgrade, a downtime of at least 48 hours will be necessary. We’re sorry for the inconvenience, but there will be no way to time warp through this, either. Upon the forum’s return, you’ll find a sleeker look and a lot of changes under the hood that will make for a much improved experience for all.<br/><br/>We hope that future upgrades will allow us to be as stealthy as TW1’s ROVER.</p>

Edited by Rowsdower
Stupid sexy formatting

No wipe. At the very least, there have been snapshots taken during taken during testing.

Snapshots like in screensaves? I hope you mean back-ups. Cause Screenshots alone will never ever bring you the data back :sticktongue:

Snapshots like in screensaves? I hope you mean back-ups. Cause Screenshots alone will never ever bring you the data back :sticktongue:

Yes. The forum will be based entirely on screenshots with tabs open. Seriously though, no that's not it, but yes, it will be drilled into the heads of those in charge of this - SAVE. EVERYTHING.

Yes. The forum will be based entirely on screenshots with tabs open. Seriously though, no that's not it, but yes, it will be drilled into the heads of those in charge of this - SAVE. EVERYTHING.

I'm just kidding. It's probably MySQL, knowing vBulletin's script. MySQL is pretty easy to back-up/save and drop it right back where you started. So, no worries!

48 hours downtime? I know an update can take a lot of time but 48 hours is insane. And totally unnecessary!

I frequent another forum that runs on the exact same software. Perhaps that forum has less data to transfer but it runs dozens of custom plug-ins and has numerous database connections. Each and every custom plug in has to be tested and if necessary rewritten. How can that forum be upgrade (by volunteers in their spare time) in just 2 hours and here it takes 2 whole days?

I'll tell you why: First they upgrade a forum mirror. Only when that works to their satisfaction they shut down the main forum and run the update.

What's that? Delete everything entered into the database in the last six months? Sure thing, we've done it before so it should be routine! :D

Don't take that seriously

48 hours downtime? I know an update can take a lot of time but 48 hours is insane. And totally unnecessary!

I frequent another forum that runs on the exact same software. Perhaps that forum has less data to transfer but it runs dozens of custom plug-ins and has numerous database connections. Each and every custom plug in has to be tested and if necessary rewritten. How can that forum be upgrade (by volunteers in their spare time) in just 2 hours and here it takes 2 whole days?

I'll tell you why: First they upgrade a forum mirror. Only when that works to their satisfaction they shut down the main forum and run the update.

For anyone that has some experience in hosting/upgrading, changing or what so ever. Two days can be right it. It's just a matter of time how things turns out. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it don't. It can take hours to figure out why the smallest thing will not work as you want it to work. Probably they tested out already. And the 22nd is the grand day. Moving the files. Changing the database. Probably it takes just a couple of hours. It's just a safety rule if your working with this kind of croud. People depending/demanding your online. It's better to prepare people your two days off, and do the job in two hours then the other way around..

48 hours downtime?

I suspect there is a lot of "just in case" there, to allow for those unexpected misadventures like a chunk of data got corrupted and had to be clawed back from backup. If that happens to a few chunks of data and you have to identify them and restore them in turn then hours can easily stretch into days.

Well, this'll be fun. No way of checking if 0.24 is out for at least 2 days.

There's still ksp Facebook, twitter, youtube, etc.

Besides, the whole budget idea in 0.24 thing was just thought up a few days ago- it's not gonna come out on the 22nd-24th... probably. Even so, steam, main KSP wesbsite, their tumblr, twitter, youtube, etc.

Let's everyone not forget, the last time the forum went down for maintenance / updates it was down for almost a WEEK. So, IF it does indeed end up being only 48 hours ("No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." - Sun Tzu), I'll count that as an improvement. :) Plus, like others have said, it might be a good thing for me to take a bit of a break from the forums, lol. :D

I can handle 48 hours as long as everything works like it did when you come back - having something like the IMGUR tag break is going to funk up many many posts on the forum. Taking time to make sure it all works is good :)

Please remember to do backups before touching anything else.

"backup" :huh: what's this thing ? Jeb may say :P

48h is verrryyyyyyyyyy llooonnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggg, their harddrives came from old NASA computers gathered from the trash behind the space center :D

At least, we can suppose people in charge will take time to make things right, I hope. Better to take time without rushing and wiping 90% of everything.

Is there any tiny bit of chance to have a more useful search engine (which point to the exact post containing words) AND working subscription ?

As for now, subscribe is just useless.

(and if a new release of KSP is on its way, why there is always a total blackout of every hosts related to KSP ? It's just ridiculous unless it served some "evil" purposes)

48h is verrryyyyyyyyyy llooonnnnnnnngggggggggggggggggggggg, their harddrives came from old NASA computers gathered from the trash behind the space center :D

What, you mean Scott Manley was actually at Squad HQ?? (jump to 4:40 min)

As for now, subscribe is just useless.

Works fine for me, I use it quite often.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.