How do you build your space stations?

LadyAthena

How do you build the station?  

1. 1. How do you build the station?

• I wing it the kerbal style. No planning, throw stuff up and see how it fits.
    • I plan it out the best I can in my head, but nothing more.
    • I plan and build it in the Assembly building, then make sub parts out of sections.
    • I plan it out in my head, do test launches, and everything I can too assure it'll be perfect.

I had yet another Eureka moment last night. I rarely ever build space stations but last night I decided too. I realized... well... if I build it first in the assembly building, and then tear it apart and make sub assemblies out of the parts... I can be sure it'll fit right in space! So I did... How do you build your space stations?

Pro Tip: If you don't fit under 1, 2, or 3, you fit under 4 :) 4 is for all of you who plan extensively using anything else. #4 is for all of you who plan extensively using any other method Since there are well more than 10 ways of doing it, I just blobbed all the higher end more in depth ways into 4.

Edited by LadyAthena

The only real use I've ever found for stations is refueling. Such affairs require no real planning. Just a probe core, some power to keep it running, however many tanks of whatever kinds of fuel you think you need, and docking ports of all the sizes you use with enough lights to make them easy to see in the dark. Very occasionally, you might have to stash a few Kerbals there while they wait on their connecting flight, so a Hitchhiker as well although you might never use it. And that's it.

I don't think I fit any of those. I plan them out in two ways: I plan them out numerically in Excel in which I keep track of mass, estimated delta-v and thrust requirements. Based on the numbers in Excel I also have an idea of the shape and layout in my head - so for instance if I need a certain minimum number of engines I'll be rounding that up to a number that I feel can be laid out symmetrically which I can then enter into the spreadsheet and see the rest of the numbers update automatically.

Sometimes I plan things in my head, while other times I work it out in the VAB first. Either way, I do make it subassemblies (often because I reuse the same modules). If it's in my head, I manually make each sub. If it's VAB planned, Subbing the build is really easy.

I make my stations modular. The hub has docking ports on each face as well as power generation and a modest supply of fuel and monopropellant. Then I make each of the "limbs" of the station: one for command and habitation, one for science and communications, one for docking and evacuation, one or two for refueling, etc. Generally, each of these modules is about the same mass as the others so that the station is balanced. Assembly is done by a robotic RCS tug.

I don't design the entire station in one chunk and then break it down for launch, but it's really not necessary with my approach.

Most of the time somewhere between planing it in my head and winging it. Usualy the core gets a bit of planing to make sure docking ports are in a realitively convenient location for whatever the first module or two is likely to need. beyond that its mostly just stick modules on wherever they fit and if they dont fit I just send up an extra docking hub with apropreate extentions.

I mostly plan out everything in my head, what component will go in, the layout, the energy consumption, how many kerbals will stay in (I use life support mods).

I also test every major component on the ground before launching and dock everything in orbit.

screenshot10.png

Every time I decide to build a station, it needs to have a purpose to be there in the first place. This one in the picture above is for science gathering.

None of the poll options really. What I did was build a big core, with the fuel and monopropellant storage (which I see as the main things) and plenty of space and docking ports for expansion. Then I've sent up stuff to add as I fancy. By making the core as big as I felt able (it's about a VAB tall), I know I won't need to worry much about future modules interfering with each other's space.

Core: https://flic.kr/p/neQGWv

Current state: https://flic.kr/p/nvDyw2

My next addition planned is a "parking lot" with a bunch of senior docking ports, since my modular ships use senior ports but the station, designed earlier, mainly uses regulars. After that I'll probably add a kethane and an NFP section.

I seem to be one of the few who build practical one piece stations. Less parts, more rigid.

There are advantages to that - but the limitation is on the size of the station. If you have to build a 1000-part monstrosity to launch it, then the part count advantage goes out the window.

It's possible to make a modular station that keeps a low part count - experience has shown me what I can keep, what I can omit, and how to best use what I need. But yes, the rigidity is definitely a factor.

I plan it out and make subassemblies, but that doesn't mean it will end up that way in orbit. It will have all the right modules, but that's about it.

This. Planning in the VAB for me is just to get a sense of what it will look like approximately and test out clearances, I usually don't add everything in there but make a new craft file for each module and use it to modify and launch them. I'm STILL stuck on a good hab module design for my latest station that's not just an inflatable hab with a docking port on the end.

I occasionally build a mock-up of the station in the VAB, but most of the time I build a versatile core and then independently build and test each module before launching it and sticking it wherever it'll probably be the most useful (e.g. put the escape pods near the habitation area and the giant fuel tank as far away as possible).

I said I did it Kerbal style, and I mean it. I build a module, launch it, build another, launch it, etc. Though right now the only station I have orbits Kerbin, and I'm treating it as a prototype of sorts. I'm probably gonna use a similar or modified design when I get stations around other planets.

I'll generally do a two-phase design, a rough sketch of basic layout, after which I'll build it out in the VAB/SPH based on its size how I wish to do symmetry with it. From here I'll take it out to the runway/pad to test and make sure my solar panels can all move freely and won't be in danger while I'm docking new modules/ships and don't block and/or interfere with each other. Once its passed this phase it'll be broken up in to launch packages and sent skywards on a semi-controlled explosion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.