Fly Under the Bridge Challange

Hello All after seeing the challange VTOL under the bridge no SAS i had the idea of flying planes under the bridge.

So heres the challenge fly under this bridge

4d6Namt.jpg

And land on the run way

Scoring:

5 points for going over 50m/s Under the bridge

10 points for going over 100m/s Under the bridge

20 points for going over 200m/s Under the bridge

50 points for flying the whole challenge in the cockpit

Extra Points:

Taking off and landing in under 30 seconds 75 points.

Taking off and landing in under 1 minute 50 points.

Taking off and landing in under 2 minutes 25 points.

Flying under the small tunnel in the R&D Center 150 Points.

Rules:

Mods are allowed.

NO DEBUG MENU.

Part clipping allowed.

The whole plane must launch and land in one piece.

The craft must not touch the ground when going under the bridge

No Vtols

Photos of Takeoff, Under the bridge and landing are required.

Leader board:

1.zarakon 225 Pts

2.Remkeau 125 Pts

3.L3GO 100 Pts

4.Othuyeg 80 Pts

5.Darren9 55 Pts

6.Mareczex333 35 Pts

My Entry.

Flying at 106 m/s under the bridge = 100 pts

Edited by L3GO

That is the most kerbal plane i have seen. I might try this challenge, but i need a good way of recording :/ Any suggestions? free would be better...

Bandicam can be used for free all it leaves on the free version is a small water mark where the Altitude meter is. I regret using streaming software to record this one because of the low quality due to not having the settings right.

Here's mine:

(includes a bonus failed attempt at the start!)

+50 cockpit view

+50 under 1 minute

+100 (I think) for 120 m/s

icemonkey - if you happen to have a recent nvidia GPU (GTX 600 or GTX 700 series) you can use Shadowplay to record or stream. It's really nice because it records directly to a compressed format, so you don't get massive multi-GB files for recording just a couple minutes, and it has very little impact on framerate

Edited by zarakon

Here's mine:

(includes a bonus failed attempt at the start!)

+50 cockpit view

+50 under 1 minute

+100 (I think) for 120 m/s

icemonkey - if you happen to have a recent nvidia GPU (GTX 600 or GTX 700 series) you can use Shadowplay to record or stream. It's really nice because it records directly to a compressed format, so you don't get massive multi-GB files for recording just a couple minutes, and it has very little impact on framerate

Im impressed myself using a SRB as the rocket being able to get up to 440 m/s its hard to do that manoeuvre with that turn. Congrats you are in No.1 Spot. Keep them coming guys and blow me away with your skills.

First reaction: Ha, this'll be easy. It wasn't (Except if I look at Zarakon's attempt). Ah well. Here is my entry:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

+25 for under 2 minutes

+100 for 104,8 m/s.

= 125 points.

It's actually quite hard to fly, direct your cam and take screenshots at the same time... next time I'll look into recording software :P

I might try and go a bit faster, but I've never managed to beat Zarakon even when I've got op mod parts vs. his stock :) At the moment I've got an entry from A Similar Challenge that scores 105 points. Cockpit view is quite revealing and the control surfaces from Firespitter-Biplane are so ferocious that SAS can't deal with them at all and just flaps up and down hopelessly.

Finally managed to squeeze by under 30 seconds with a parachute-assisted landing

Of course it took 3 landing attempts (plus a whole bunch of high-speed failures) before I actually remembered to LOWER MY DAMN WHEELS FIRST.

Speed under the bridge is 115, cockpit view, and under 30 seconds should total to 225

I made some attempts at 200+ speed, but it's really really hard. I made it under the bridge several times, but could never avoid becoming one with the buildings on the other side. There's one angle where it would be possible to thread the needle and do it, but I'd need a skinnier and more stable plane (and maybe some slow motion...)

If you add another bonus for flying upside down under the bridge, I will totally do that :D

Edited by zarakon

That is the most kerbal plane i have seen. I might try this challenge, but i need a good way of recording :/ Any suggestions? free would be better...

I use Camstudio Portable and KSP in 1280x768 windowed mode, gets decent capture frame rate

I know he landed in the wrong place, but planting that plane on top of the VAB has to be worth a Jeb point or something!

Dont worry i counted that as a landing. Keep them coming guys currently zarakon is in the lead with 225 Points.

You still need to fix the speed scores

You list the bonuses for 50, 100 and 200 m/s as 5, 10, and 20. In some cases you've counted them like that (such as Othuyeg's score), but in others such as your own example you've counted them as 10 times as much.

• 2 weeks later...

You say the whole plane must launch and land in one piece. Can I have a glider which is launched from a rocket-powered trolley? Only the glider actually launches, everything else stays on the ground, and the glider does not drop further stages while in flight

You say the whole plane must launch and land in one piece. Can I have a glider which is launched from a rocket-powered trolley? Only the glider actually launches, everything else stays on the ground, and the glider does not drop further stages while in flight

Yes i will allow that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.