Challenge: The VERY first kerbals on the mun!

Description

Take on the role of early KSP'ers....and land on the Mun in version 0.12! (the first released version of KSP that has a moon)

Download: http://manitcor.com/ksp/demos/

Scoring system: Least amount of parts : The lower amount of those outdated parts, the more you'll have a chance of me selecting you as the winner. If you get back from the mun, 10 will not be counted from your part count!

Final comment: This challenge IS possible. I didn't do it myself, but i came VERY close to it.

Edited by Souper

Oh, the memories! I'm done with my first, and I think last attempt. Part count = 36. I didn't manage to return, just to land. Although it is not mentioned in OP, I suppose going back was to be included?

It definitely was a hard mode with no dV plugin (KER), no manoeuvre nodes, and (nearly) no parts.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by 8MMW

It's been ages since I played an old KSP version, I'm giving it a try as soon as I can! :D

Part count = 36.

Nice one! I remember needing hundreds of parts to get near the Mün back in the days (but I was a horrible pilot, maybe now I can do it better :P)

8MMW is a definite candidate.

Now let's see if someone can get FROM the mun! (Rule change. If you get back from the mun, you get 10 not counted from your part count.)

Edited by Souper

I've tried a few designs with up to 35 pieces, and I haven't been able to get near the Mün, let alone land. I might try it later, but I'll probably need way more pieces than 8MMW.

Lol I may have to try this. I started in .22 but when I started playing I had no idea that you could set targets or make maneuver nodes or quick save/load.. and was able to land and return from the mun. It was quite hair raising and probably the most joyous moment in my ksp career. After that, nodes and targets and quick saves felt like cheating. But I never stopped using em lol.

The part limitations is probably what makes this challenge the most challenging.

Where can we get old versions?

Edited by Nedal

I really miss these old tanks :3

New ones look gray and boring.

Here the rocket.

16 parts.

babbe607854b.png

Gravity turn

d949097bba02.png

Departing to the Mun

63d1304e9089.png

Orbiting low

81b62d15d6dd.png

Landing

e5a24fe82c23.png

Managed to land after A LOT of fiddling. It's definitely not easy to land on LV-T45.

LV-909 have much nicer weaker thrust, but there is no LV-909 in 0.12

89977f70f4ab.png

Rolled to face East.

5fc3aac50e57.png

I know, there WAS enough fuel in this rocket for return (7454 m/s dV after all!), but sloppy piloting (mostly due to old SAS/Pod control) made this impossible. Now I stuck orbiting the Mun.

d5c915256808.png

Wow. Things sure was trickier back then than it is now. I was discouraged at first over the idea of downloading another client. But when I noticed it was just around 70 megabytes of data, I thought "Sure, why not".

My rocket setup was:

1st stage:

1 Stack Decoupler

1 Tri-Coupler

9 FL-T500 Fuel Tanks

3 LV-T30 Engine

2 Strut Connectors

2nd Stage:

1 Stack Decoupler

2 FL-T500 Fuel Tanks

1 LV-T30 Engine

3rd Stage

1 Parachute

1 Mk 1 Command Pod

1 FL-T500 Fuel Tanks

1 LV-T45 Engine

Total Part Count: 24

Perhaps I could have miscalculated the part count, so it would be cool if someone with a keen eye could correct me if necessary. Eitherway it's essentially a simplified copy of 8MMW's rocket.

I did this a little while ago:

Initial success and descent into madness.

A more rational approach.

Since we landed on the Mun on the first try, counting the parts from the picture there are 37 parts:

4 liquid engines

10 fuel tanks

3 SRBs

3 SAS units

3 radial decouplers

1 tricoupler

2 stack decouplers

1 command pod

1 parachute

9 struts

The one with the fully safe landing and return has way more than 10 more parts, so right now I'll go with 37 from the first attempt.

Edit: Well, who the hell knows why those albums aren't showing properly?

Edited by NoPanShabuShabu

OK! Mun and back.

3 LV-T30

12 tanks

1 Tricoupler

1 Decoupler

1 LV-T45

1 tank

1 pod

0 parachute

20 parts

(This time I pretty much copied Space Viking's ship)

Edit: There's a bonus image from the previous attempt which snuck it's way into this album.

Edited by NoPanShabuShabu
Extra image in album clarification

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.