Interstellar

CaptRobau

there is only one word to describe that: DAMMMNN

there is also only one sentence that can describe that: whoa man that is utterly genius.

and also two questions: wait how did you get EVE to work or am i just uninformed and is there download available?

Amazing. Not only are you riding on name recognition, but also, is there a version of the above mod without the vain title and loading screen?

Yes, and I did find a way to change some in-game textures. Although the loading screen one won't be around for Interstellar. I might have to save it for PARADISE since it will have many textures replaced (meaning 1gb installation).

there is only one word to describe that: DAMMMNN

there is also only one sentence that can describe that: whoa man that is utterly genius.

and also two questions: wait how did you get EVE to work or am i just uninformed and is there download available?

There is a download available:

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/7-4 :D

I currently have no issues. Some report issues with city lights. I wrote how to fix that on my mod page.

I haven't read this, so I can't tell if there are any spoilers inside. Readers, beware.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/10/27/interstellar-movie-review-ambitious-inert-beautiful-flawed/

That review is flip flopping all over the place.

It reads like it was written by a man who's pressured to write something before he's actually had time to reach a considered opinion.

I don't know if I saw the same trailer, I think movie is going to be epically bad!

The movie is going to snag all the Oscars and save the development of space exploration. I bet you this movie will inspire generations of people to contribute to the exploration of space.

I found a great analysis of the Endurance, here is the album(thanks to antonovolk on Reddit):

http://imgur.com/a/RCKME

So what's Endurance using for engines then? Or the shuttles?

And what's it using for power?

An option might be nuclear reactors in the drive modules, powering electric engines...but the placement of the drive modules means more shielding is needed than if the powerplant had been placed on a central boom. About the only reason to place the engines like in the movie is to allow shirt-sleeve access to them. (Which suggests high maintenance needs. Would the Endurance carry a 3d printer for spare parts manufacturing?)

The shuttles might be using magnetohydrodynamic energy bypass engines feeding off of capacitors of some sort to increase performance. Capacitors would be recharged from the Endurance's power plants. Could also scoop atmospheric gases for both shuttle operations in space and replenishing gas supplies (both propellant and atmosphere) on the Endurance.

Shuttle A is probably personnel/scout shuttle; Shuttle B is cargo hauler.

Also, are the Endurance shuttles the only shuttles the planet has? Because if more can be made like those, then space access just got cheaper. If Earth's facing a phosphorous shortage(and hence food shortage) more can be imported from the asteroids.

Which makes for less of a movie plot than the wormhole option, but it'd make for a great TV series following desperate asteroid miners.

Another thing; could the Shuttle B be carrying an inflatable habitat? They may have to stay a while to check the planet out.

Also, could the Endurance have more cryotubes than shown in the trailers, or could it be modified to carry more? The plan might be to find an habitable planet, then evacuate enough people, seeds and the machinery they need to the planet using the Endurance or it's followups as a transport vehicle.

EDIT: also note this gives the Endurance crew(and other people working on the project as well) motivation to see the project through; they and their families get guaranteed tickets to the new colony.(For bonus symbolic/cliche points, call the colony New Eden.)

Edited by meve12

They are using the cryotubes just for the voyage to the wormhole. Yes I agree, Shuttle B is made for cargo.

it is seen in one of he trailers how it is carrying a square container under itself. Probably it is one of those segments of the Endurance. Idk how it disconnects from the main ship but I think that seems feasible. Also, in a scene with the black hole the Endurance is missing one of the segments. That is a smart way to place cargo containers on the ship-make them part of the ship and then connect them to a VTOL SSTO to drop them on a planet.

There's one thing I'm confused about. If the Shuttles can SSTO from any Earth-like planet, then... why did they need a massive rocket to launch them?​

Who wants to see a boring SSTO ascent from Earth instead of a cool Saturn V launch?

Well the effects look cool but films need more than that.

It seems really naff to me.

"There isn`t anything in this solar system that can help us`

Except for oodles of solar power, more water than a planet of people could use, an entire asteroid belt for construction, a gas giant for fuel etc etc etc

Also loads and loads of phosphorous locked up at the bottom of the ocean, which is easier to get to than far flung solar systems but would not make for such an exciting movie...

I honestly hope I am wrong but it seems very light on plot.

I don't know if I saw the same trailer, I think movie is going to be epically bad!

I`m glad it`s not just me.

Edited by John FX

Well the effects look cool but films need more than that.

It seems really naff to me.

"There isn`t anything in this solar system that can help us`

Except for oodles of solar power, more water than a planet of people could use, an entire asteroid belt for construction, a gas giant for fuel etc etc etc

Also loads and loads of phosphorous locked up at the bottom of the ocean, which is easier to get to than far flung solar systems but would not make for such an exciting movie...

I honestly hope I am wrong but it seems very light on plot.

Spoiler, but it will clear things up a little.

The "government" in Interstellar has no interest in spaceflight. The local school system teaches children that the Apollo program was staged propaganda. NASA, or what's left of it, uses its last resources to send a mission through a wormhole that spontaneously appeared near the orbit of Saturn. It's unlikely that this "government" would seek out resources in space. Their society is reeling from food shortages and the effects of global overpopulation. Any attempt at space exploration, exploitation, or colonization is seen as a wasteful utilization of "useless machines." In Interstellar, the luddites and anti-technologists have taken over.

Edited by Airlock

There's one thing I'm confused about. If the Shuttles can SSTO from any Earth-like planet, then... why did they need a massive rocket to launch them?​

I can see this making sense if the Saturn V lifts the shuttles AND the "interstellar" tug. Hence, the command module / shuttle can SSTO but not the entire craft.

Amazing. Those lens flares though....just fantastic and mind-blowing. Only thing I don;t like is Kerbin, still needs some work.

Same here, too much of a blue wash. Clouds in RL look white and the water looks blue and the land looks green/brown/etc not blue everything.

It is the only thing that stops me jumping for the pack, I spend a lot of time in LKO so the look matters more than other planets.

I can see this making sense if the Saturn V lifts the shuttles AND the "interstellar" tug. Hence, the command module / shuttle can SSTO but not the entire craft.

The Endurance consists of multiple parts:

12 segment connectors

4 engine modules , 4 crew modules, 4 power modules and 4 for cargo to drop down on the surface with the Lander

one mast with a central docking bay for:

2 light scout VTOL SSTO's called the Ranger

2 heavy duty VTOL SSTO's called the Lander

All of this is true, non-speculated info ripped from the official game, trailers, original script, TV spots and stills. Also the diameter of the Endurance is about 27 m.

Seems plausible to launch that thing hole right? Note the diameter of the Saturn V is 10 m and it can launch something as heavy as Skylab, not 6 of them at once(and I'm not even accounting for the Endurance's engine, fuel, cargo and SSTOs' mass).

Edited by SpaceXray
New info

Saw an early showing yesterday. The SSTO question is still valid. The transfer stage (which, seriously, how did it to a TPI?) is already in orbit. Is there a spoilers thread up? Cause it turns out that every major plot point, including some very, VERY specific moments, are lifted from a certain 4 part book series, by a certain famous sci-fi author.

My analysis, SPOILERS!!!: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bR76uJJ1APl78WhRDHRDJpiNSmJEGPT65TrM-BmNmUI/edit?usp=sharing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.