Interstellar

CaptRobau

The Academy is so narrow-minded it is insane. First of all, they don't love the sci-fi genre. They'd never give a sci-fi movie Best picture.

Second, they mainly like movies about the past, and ESPECIALLY movies about slaves. If it's a slave movie, it's pretty much a guaranteed winner.

"Either it wins, or we're all racist."- Ellen

While it is a joke, it is one which is, in fact, quite true. Look at the list of this year's noms. Most of the movies there are set in the 20th century.

The Academy(full of old geezers) just wants movies which remind them of their past. They don't want to see a window in the future, because they just don't care. Instead of showing people what can become of us if we don't stop what we are doing right now(Gravity, Interstellar especially) we will just go extinct. Instead let's just recycle the same old episodes from history.

You don't have to watch this year's awards to know the winner: Selma.

It is already decided. There is no point keeping it a secret even how much every American wants to show how non-racist they are.

Not that it's bad, just cheap show-off like this and saying that "this is the first time someone made a movie about that time which shows exactly how it was".

Gargantua was great (no surprise, considering the fact that the scientific advisor Kip Thorne thinks it is so realistic that he uses it in one of his new scientific papers ;) )

The story itself had a lot of plot problems, especially with regards to the amount of time dilation at different distances from Gargantua

It managed to be sad, and scary, and awesome all at the same time. I was not prepared for the impact of the time dilation subplot. I liked it, and wandered the shops for an hour afterwards processing. IMHO, probably the best movie I saw last year.

The mission's only purpose was to send one guy to a super gigantic black hole. Big waste of resources.

Yes, there is the whole thing of it being such an inefficient way of getting someone in and out of a black hole. But then, who'd willingly go near, let alone into one of those? Plus, we don't know what limitations the dimension manipulating future civilisation was working with.

It was a bit of a bizarre situation when they left the second planet- how did they end up on such a course that would take them so quickly next to the black hole? Why was jettisoning the pod that Cooper was in the best choice? (Though I do think the thought of never seeing his kids again may have been wanting to just end it all) Wouldn't a planet as close to a black hole be destroyed by tidal forces? Some bits aren't so bad though, I assume they hibernated again when travelling between Gargantua's planets, but don't get why you wouldn't wake up to get a look at mars. I also question if the centrifuge part of the ship was wide enough. The higher dimensions thing I am happy to take as unknown future science and won't pick at.

Where they got it right, it was so awesome. The real looking wormhole and blackhole, where sights to behold. Same with most of the other special effects. I liked the way they treated finding habitable planets, showing how unlikely it is to find something that perfectly matches Earth. I would have liked him to spend more time with Murph after he got back though.

I liked the characters, I thought they were written and acted will. The robots where an interesting design, surprisingly versatile, and seem like the sort of AI people would realistically create to serve them.

I loved it. It's not the sort of movie I'd watch soon though, maybe in a few years.

I did enjoy, in a perverse kind of way, hearing the teenagers a few seats down say to each other "Did you follow any of that?" When I easily followed every last bit. It felt like +5 space geek cred.

Edited by Tw1

i thought the centrifuges depicted were rather narrow myself. especially those oneil cylinders at the end. i can understand the ship being more compact for weight concerns and running at a lower than 1g. they did need to use anti nausea drugs (which i believe is something we already give astronauts), so they get +1 realism for that alone. id rather think about the things they got right, than the tally of miniscule flaws that people can come up with.

i like seeing harder scifi in movies these days. i think the movie makers finally figured out that people are smarter than they think they are and wont tolerate so much handwavium. then again you are always gonna find holes in the science part because at the end of the day its a movie. gravity last year and now interstellar up for oscars this year. i think movies like this might bring a new golden age in hard scifi.

A brilliant film! The mistakes in scientific realism is forgivable, and I have to respect Nolan for making a strong effort to keep that accuracy. Aside from that I found the music, plot, characters, and visuals simply riveting. Hearing so much spaceflight terminology and understanding it made me so happy!

Sci-fi has been really bad lately. I seem to see a lot of "Cool looking soldiers! Invading aliens! Explosions! Shooting!" these days, so a rare gem like Interstellar that actually shows the universe as it is greatly redeems my faith in the movie industry. Hopefully Nassault will become something huge and make the best space film ever! :D

It was awesome. While I was a bit disappointed at first, it's the kind of movie that you really need to think about. And yes, the feeling you get when you actually understand the physics is amazing.

Is it bad that, being the sort of person who reads XKCD What-If a lot, I got really excited when he fell into the black hole because I really wanted to see what was inside? :P

By the way, I later purchased Kip Thorne's book on the movie. It revealed a lot and was surprisingly easy to understand. I recommend it.

It was awesome. While I was a bit disappointed at first, it's the kind of movie that you really need to think about. And yes, the feeling you get when you actually understand the physics is amazing.

Is it bad that, being the sort of person who reads XKCD What-If a lot, I got really excited when he fell into the black hole because I really wanted to see what was inside? :P

By the way, I later purchased Kip Thorne's book on the movie. It revealed a lot and was surprisingly easy to understand. I recommend it.

ea that is a good book, it explains alot, if you didnt get the movie.(i understood the movie, i work at nasa)

I actually really enjoyed Interstellar. Though it wasn't perfectly accurate, it was definitely more accurate than Gravity, which I absolutely hated. This story writing was great, the interaction between Murphy and the other characters throughout the 30+ years that passed was interesting, and I found myself tearing up a bit at some parts. I however hated the scenes before the ending, with the whole traveling into the black hole. I despised it. I liked the movie, but the ending was off and didn't give a good solid finish to the story. At the end of the movie, though, this old lady behind me stood up and said: "That movie really turned itself around for the better at the end." *facepalm*

7.2/10

For Gravity I would say 2/10. Don't say that movie is accurate.

i was avoiding that thread because at the time i havent seen the movie yet. now im not sure i want to read through it its so long.

For Gravity I would say 2/10. Don't say that movie is accurate.

its a lot more accurate than some of the other crap thats been slung around as scifi lately.

It was a good movie, my biggest gripes for it are things that don't really affect it all that much (the corn being the wrong colour for the harvest), I do wish that we could of gotten a better look at the Oneil at the end but I digress.

I don't get the whole perfectly accurate attitude though. 2001 pulled it off brilliantly but it can't provide the same entertainment to the same varity of audience. To complain that a movie isn't completly accurate is just holding it to an impossible standard, that's not to say movies can disregard science (Armageddon) but at some it's not worth the effort.

Also Gravity being highly inaccurate is a debate for another thread.

I'm really surprised that it didn't get any awards considering all the ones that Gravity got.

I mean, the movie had some flaws, but it was a lot better than Gravity! At least Interstellar had some plot to it, and if you're going to argue that Gravity had better visual effects, then... http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.