Interstellar

CaptRobau

In a Reddit thread about it two people showed up that they worked for a research group that was contacted by Interstellar's special effect team to help them understand gravitational lensing around wormholes. So the star sphere seen at the end of trailer is based on some of the (so far theoretical) scientific work done on wormholes.

I just got back from grocery shopping (I live in Los Angeles) and saw an older guy in the produce section with an Interstellar crew t-shirt. I asked if he had worked on that movie and yes, turns out he did set construction for the spacecraft interiors. He told me how they scavenged instrumentation from an old aircraft junkyard and showed me pictures of the set. (1:31 in the trailer.) So cool!

He showed me how the entire set was on a gimbal and could be tilted several degrees this way and that. Not quickly, just different positions for shooting. The only reason I can think they'd do that is if they need angled gravity, maybe for weird g-effects while passing through wormholes or something. That's my prediction. Obviously the guy didn't know.

I asked how he liked working with Christopher Nolan, and he said he was fine, if a bit crazy. But then all directors are, or they wouldn't be in that business. We both agreed the worst director to work with right now was Michael Bay. Hahaha.

PS I work in visual effects, doing cg explosions and whatnot. So we had a fair bit of common ground.

That trailer gives me chills! (In a good way.)

Edited by pebble_garden

• 3 weeks later...

To echo the sentiment I've seen elsewhere, the spaceship from outside kinda looks like a bracelet made of porta-potties. :P

Not sure I get the reasoning behind the premise. We need food = we need to literally enter another universe?

To echo the sentiment I've seen elsewhere, the spaceship from outside kinda looks like a bracelet made of porta-potties. :P

Not sure I get the reasoning behind the premise. We need food = we need to literally enter another universe?

Now that you mention it... :P

The way I see it we've reached the carrying capacity, food wise, of our solar system so the only option was to look elsewhere for viable real estate.

We can really hand-wave any excuse for the ridiculousness of the likely future though. I'm sure we will hit issues like this one way or another, and soonâ„¢.

• 2 weeks later...
Now that you mention it... :P

The way I see it we've reached the carrying capacity, food wise, of our solar system so the only option was to look elsewhere for viable real estate.

We can really hand-wave any excuse for the ridiculousness of the likely future though. I'm sure we will hit issues like this one way or another, and soonâ„¢.

For some reason it felt like a search for a solution though, but... I dunno. If this is going to be a "saving humanity" thing, it's not going to be very many people. At best it looks like everyone else is screwed and just a handful of people are going to find a new place to live. Not that it's necessarily wrong (it's very realistic) but it's hard to imagine that as a Hollywood Blockbuster. I guess "I Am Legend" in space is a cool concept though. And it's Nolan, so it oughta be good. Certainly better than Armageddon at least :P

Surely it's not about trying to start a new life? With so few individuals, unknown planet, no resupply.

Just think of how many new world colonies failed just because they didn't know what they were doing...

And if it's about finding a solution to the earth's problems, i don't think growing corn on a planet light years from here, or hoping to find an alien race with a handwavium cure-all device would be economically viable.

US space program sure has come a long way from no access to LEO to interstellar travel capabilities.

If we actually went into full-blown "Oh crap we're screwed" panic mode, you'd be amazed at how quickly we'd probably move forward. Maybe not bending space-time, but you'd see a heck of a lot of advancements. It's already happened a few times, such as during WWII.

• 1 month later...

I think it looks like a ring of a few Type 40 Time Capsules (What the TARDIS is). I can't help thinking: "Meanwhile on Gallifrey, 'Where did my time capsule go?'"

If we actually went into full-blown "Oh crap we're screwed" panic mode, you'd be amazed at how quickly we'd probably move forward. Maybe not bending space-time, but you'd see a heck of a lot of advancements. It's already happened a few times, such as during WWII.

I agree, it it weren't for war and competition? We would've never went to the Moon or into space.

Just saw the 3rd trailer, Nolan is brilliant once again. I think I understand the ringed ship design now: the side thingies are descent capsules/ships. Don't yet understand those square things yet though...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.