[1.1.0] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS x1.1.0 [Experimental])

SIT89

Does this play well with KCT

I'm currently playing with them both installed, but I'd advise against trying to use any of the FMRS features during a simulation (aside from the Revert, as that hasn't acted up for me). It does work, but it's a bit finnicky and sometimes it doesn't work (once, after going back and forth in the simulation to make sure my stuff would be recovered, when I finally ended the simulation it seemed to have forgotten it was just a simulation....). Otherwise, though, they are playing well together very nicely.

As a note, I've noticed that when I reverted to launch with a tourist onboard using the FMRS Revert button, the Tourist (and my Pilot!) disappeared. This hasn't happened any other time, including with just regular crew members. It's not too terribly upsetting, though, as I can just use the stock Revert at that point, and the crew members pop back into their seats, as they should.

Also, is there any way to disable the stock toolbar icon? My stock toolbar is getting a bit full, and I'd like to clear out anything that doesn't need to be there (since I have blizzy's toolbar, the stock icon is a bit redundant...)

Edited by Drake1500

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but I can't find anything. I've been trying to do Apollo type missions and if I use [ or ] to change craft, it totally screws with FMRS. It wouldn't be such a big deal except it is habit to do that to switch. Is this normal or should it be working fine either way?

The other issue is If I try to drop pods to collect science around various waypoints, the plane just explodes. I flew to several locations and dropped a pod. Then I went back one by one and landed them. Once done, I jumped back to the main plane and *poof* no more plane. And not just a disappearing act, but an all-out glorious explosion as if smacked with a whack-a-kerbal. Is this the same as the known bug listed regarding physics range? I was under the impression those just flat disappeared, whereas this exists fine until I try to control it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stupid bug with this. After switching to a dropped stage in career mode, the game tells me that the crew has died/the mission failed. I get all penalties from this, and that is really frustrating. Also, after recovering the main craft, the game tells me that I finished those contracts successfully… Strange.

Disabling the stock toolbar button: can it be done? I can easily show (or not) the button in Blizzy's toolbar, but I don't see a way to remove it from the stock toolbar. Without that, the options are stock or two buttons.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I had an issue similar to toric5 that seems to reproduce pretty well:

1. Launch craft, separate stages as normal

2. Dock to another craft once in orbit

3. Return to stages, land normally

4. Click 'Return to Main Mission' after landing last stage

At this point I end up on the launch pad with another version of my pre-craft launch. The docked craft doesn't exist and what I docked to doesn't have it. I can recover everything for a profit, which isn't right :D

I went through this many times and eventually figured out that if I dealt with the stages, then docked back on the main mission, everything would be fine.

I'm not the mod developer, I only play one on TV... ;-)

This sounds to me like a conflict with how KSP treats docked vessels and crafts. I am guessing, based on my knowledge of code and configs, and KSP's behavior, that the craft is unique in your save file UNTIL you dock it. Then KSP merges them into one large vessel, essentially. There can be only one, you know, when things are attached.

I am going to speculate that it may not be possible, or it may take a lot of work, to make it so that this mod deals with your situation. Personally, I would just park the main craft near my objective, switch back to dropped stages.. clean them up, and return to dock.

YMMV. I have not verified this. Anyone who knows better should chime in :-)

Best,

DLJ

Quick tip: When using FMRS, in early game, you wont have in line probe cores (assuming you follow the tech tree like I do).. only the stayputnik. This is not a problem with radially attached stages, however central primary stages are less obvious as to how to handle this.

Turns out, a 1.25m service bay will allow attachment of a a stayputnik inside. It clips of course, but I am reasoning that we are using the flattened version for fitting inside a service bay :-)

You can also put the chutes needed inside the service bay.

So, my standard early game setup is one stayputnik probe, and one service bay. Inside the service bay is chutes and one battery. On outer stages, the probe is mounted on top of the stage, on central stages, inside the service bay.

If you are using remote tech, of course you'll need an antenna inside the service bay as well, which also fits nicely on the top part of it.

Works like a charm, and the service bay doors serve as poor man's air brakes (air vanes, anyway :-) ), as long as you are through the heating effects. Open the service bay doors the moment you are through heating, as chutes will not deploy if you dont. And of course, even though it is nerve racking with high flying central stages, wait until below 280m/s to open the chutes, or use drogues to slow down first if you have them.

Of course, this setup also works with 2.5m service bay as well, which I use standard to protect battery and chutes. As a side point, for central stages I always use two decouplers back to back (arrows both pointed outward) in early game to provide total stack separation. That loses me the part, but it makes things a lot cleaner and reduces the chance of a mishap.

Believe it or not, this works more reliably in water than on land, since on water the chutes don't cut until the whole stage has laid over (for long, skinny stages) while on land, the chutes cut as soon as you hit the ground and there is a chance the stage will explode when it falls over.. in water the chutes gently bring it down and have never exploded on me.

If you use tweak scale, the service bays can now be resized, so if you don't have the 2.5m bay, you do now.

Also, I recommend pausing (in real life, not in game) before hitting the button to switch to another stage.. I have found if I hit the button quickly after landing a stage, it can crash the game (maybe only relevant to me). If I wait 5 seconds or more to do it, I haven't had it crash.

And also, in the later game, you can just pop on a flower of airbrakes on the top of your stage as well, as you never have to worry about going too fast to open chutes, nor coming in too hot, or at a bad angle. Deploy them in space and just wait.

Thats it! Hope it helps.

--DLJ

PS: I have been considering adding something crazy from infernal robotics to make the empty stages airworthy enough to fly and throwing on a couple of jet engines... either that or I'll put on a deactivated small fuel tank to the stack and see about recovering with that and airbrakes... but darn it if I don't just have bad luck landing by hand like that.

SIT89, Spent much time figuring out what's happening and finally I can describe an issue:

If a separated stage lands in the KSC area but not on launchpad, the following happens after switching back to main mission:

1. "#### FMRS: add recovered values to game save" appears in the log despite the auto recover function is NOT enabled.

2. Funds are increased but seems that amount is equal to recovering both the symmetrical stages that have been separated (despite the only one of them has been landed) or even the recover value of entire mission (hard to say).

3. Stages in the list don't have any status, neither "landed", nor "recovered".

It applies only to landing at "free" space of KSC and is 100% repeatable.

Added the issue on GiHub.

Also if using FAR, sometimes after switching to main stage FAR begins to flood the logs with messages like "NullReferenceException... Cannot get instance of a game object", something like that (may be that's being caused by the issue I described first).

Edited by Ser

• 3 weeks later...

Bug report

I lanuched a rocket in RSS from the Cape, and attempted to land its first stage on a drone ship, using FMRS

It made it to the drone ship,but when I approach the drone ship,it just explode and sinkï¼Â

The drone ship is designed to carry up to 184 tons of payload with ease,and the first stage weights only 12tons……

After several test I found that once I approach the drone ship within 200m, it would sunk……

And also I’m sure its due to FRMS caz I lanuch another rocket , and I didnt use FRMS , it landed on the drone ship prefectly……

Can anyone just tell me whats going on?

Edited by mark7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
[quote name='Kurotenshi']Do the stages your dropping have a probe core? If they do, it's a update-bug, if they don't, add a core and watch them appear on the list :)
I have yet to test this one out in 1.0.5, but if I encounter a similar problem, I'll let y'all know[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same problem actually, Regardless of what I attach to the dropped stage nothing ever shows up on the list. In fact the plugin seems to be resetting its self whenever I stage. The GUI closes and pressing the 'reset to plugin start' button takes me back to the last time I staged.

It could be a mod confliction though as I haven't had a chance to try and replicated it with an otherwise stock 1.0.5 install. Whatever is causeing the problem I hope it's an easy fix.

Hi there.

Sorry for being absent for so long.

I will still continue to maintain or further develop FMRS. My problem is that I have changed my job and now I have very limited time for this. I have planned to release an update for 1.1, because I am sure it won`t work after that many changes.

From time to time I have a look at the forums if there is a major problem with FMRS. This seems to be now. So I will update my development environment and have a look into it. I hope to come up with a fix soon.

Update v1.0.01 released

That went faster than i thought.

I built it with the 1.0.5 files and FRMS is working for my install.

If you encounter any bugs:

Please check the "write debug messages to log file" option in the settings, recreate the bug and send me the log file.

Thank you!

On 25.7.2015, 11:29:42, Ser said:

SIT89, Spent much time figuring out what's happening and finally I can describe an issue:

If a separated stage lands in the KSC area but not on launchpad, the following happens after switching back to main mission:

1. "#### FMRS: add recovered values to game save" appears in the log despite the auto recover function is NOT enabled.

2. Funds are increased but seems that amount is equal to recovering both the symmetrical stages that have been separated (despite the only one of them has been landed) or even the recover value of entire mission (hard to say).

3. Stages in the list don't have any status, neither "landed", nor "recovered".

It applies only to landing at "free" space of KSC and is 100% repeatable.

Added the issue on GiHub.

Also if using FAR, sometimes after switching to main stage FAR begins to flood the logs with messages like "NullReferenceException... Cannot get instance of a game object", something like that (may be that's being caused by the issue I described first).

Thanks for your report.

I am sorry, i was not able to reduce the bug on my install. Please try to recreate it with the new version and send my the log file if the bug still exitst

Thank you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.