[1.1.0] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS x1.1.0 [Experimental])

SIT89

I got a nullref when trying to switch back to main mission (and it didn't switch):

Spoiler

[LOG 15:40:40.526] Game Unpaused!
[LOG 15:40:42.574] #### FMRS: Jump to Main
[LOG 15:40:42.575] #### FMRS: save landed vessels
[LOG 15:40:43.233] Flight State Captured
[LOG 15:40:43.233] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 15:40:43.234] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 15:40:43.247] [MessageSystem] Save Messages
[LOG 15:40:43.302] Game State Saved to saves/Sandbox/FMRS/FMRS_quicksave
[LOG 15:40:43.523] #### FMRS: save landed vessel or recover
[LOG 15:40:43.523] #### FMRS: enter Game recover_vessel(Guid parent_vessel, List<ProtoVessel> recover_vessels, Game recover_save, Game savegame): 36f9401f-5532-4ea9-8348-04e09e815e22
[EXC 15:40:43.525] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FMRS.FMRS_Core.recover_vessel (Guid parent_vessel, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 recover_vessels, .Game recover_save, .Game savegame)
    FMRS.FMRS_Core.save_landed_vessel (Boolean auto_recover_allowed, Boolean ForceRecover)
    FMRS.FMRS_Core.jump_to_vessel (System.String main)
    FMRS.FMRS_Core.MainGUI (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[LOG 15:40:44.649] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[LOG 15:40:44.650] Game Paused!
[LOG 15:40:44.651] Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

4 minutes ago, kendoka15 said:

I got a nullref when trying to switch back to main mission (and it didn't switch):

Hide contents

[LOG 15:40:40.526] Game Unpaused!
[LOG 15:40:42.574] #### FMRS: Jump to Main
[LOG 15:40:42.575] #### FMRS: save landed vessels
[LOG 15:40:43.233] Flight State Captured
[LOG 15:40:43.233] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 15:40:43.234] Saving Achievements Tree...
[LOG 15:40:43.247] [MessageSystem] Save Messages
[LOG 15:40:43.302] Game State Saved to saves/Sandbox/FMRS/FMRS_quicksave
[LOG 15:40:43.523] #### FMRS: save landed vessel or recover
[LOG 15:40:43.523] #### FMRS: enter Game recover_vessel(Guid parent_vessel, List<ProtoVessel> recover_vessels, Game recover_save, Game savegame): 36f9401f-5532-4ea9-8348-04e09e815e22
[EXC 15:40:43.525] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    FMRS.FMRS_Core.recover_vessel (Guid parent_vessel, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 recover_vessels, .Game recover_save, .Game savegame)
    FMRS.FMRS_Core.save_landed_vessel (Boolean auto_recover_allowed, Boolean ForceRecover)
    FMRS.FMRS_Core.jump_to_vessel (System.String main)
    FMRS.FMRS_Core.MainGUI (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
    UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[LOG 15:40:44.649] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[LOG 15:40:44.650] Game Paused!
[LOG 15:40:44.651] Active Vessel is in atmosphere. Cannot save.

Complete log, please

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Complete log, please

Oh, and the craft file as well.

Thanks

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hate to say it, but it looks like you just ran out of memory.  The clues are in the error.log:

89% memory in use.
1940 MB physical memory [210 MB free].
3855 MB paging file [205 MB free].

Looks like you have 2 gig of memory.  Not much free, and your paging file is also full.  Are you perhaps running on a laptop?  You also don't have a lot of video memory.

Regarding the window, the problems I've seen are the following:

Toolbar button doesn't do anything
Window flickers when dragging

I've fixed the flickering, but haven't yet looked at the toolbar.  I did try testing with the Blizzy toolbar, and when it's there, I will see the toolbar button in both places, and both are useless.

Finally, you are NOT USING THE DLL I POSTED!  Therefore you are wasting my time.  I can tell because the KSP writes the mod version to the log file, and you have the wrong one.

My laptop routinely runs KSP at 89% memory usage without crashes unless I perform something like a dozen reverts in close succession (like when testing a new rocket).  So that in itself doesn't mean anything- unless FMRS is seriously inefficient with its memory usage.  Plus, I never experienced such crashes running FMRS on previous versions of KSP...

As for the DLL, I used the one you posted before fixing the window issue.  I actually went in and *deleted* the prior DLL, then inserted the one you posted.  So unless you accidentally posted the wrong DLL under that link, you must be mistaken.

It's just the DLL you need me to replace right?  So why would I delete the rest of the folder?

Maybe you could post a link to an entire FMRS folder, complete with the DLL and other files you want me to use?  Just to avoid any potential for confusion.

Regards,

Northstar

1 minute ago, Northstar1989 said:

My laptop routinely runs KSP at 89% memory usage without crashes unless I perform something like a dozen reverts in close succession (like when testing a new rocket).  So that in itself doesn't mean anything- unless FMRS is seriously inefficient with its memory usage.  Plus, I never experienced such crashes running FMRS on previous versions of KSP...

As for the DLL, I used the one you posted before fixing the window issue.  I actually went in and *deleted* the prior DLL, then inserted the one you posted.  So unless you accidentally posted the wrong DLL under that link, you must be mistaken.

It's just the DLL you need me to replace right?  So why would I delete the rest of the folder?

Maybe you could post a link to an entire FMRS folder, complete with the DLL and other files you want me to use?  Just to avoid any potential for confusion.

Regards,

Northstar

In that very message which you quoted, I did post a link with the full package:

To make it easier to install, delete the ENTIRE FMRS directory in your game, then use the following link to download a complete beta release:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flzr38g8xi9k6f7/FMRS-1.0.3-beta.zip?dl=0

Open it up, find the FMRS directory and copy the entire directory to your GameData directory

4 minutes ago, Northstar1989 said:

You can't really compare previous version of KSP to the current, when it comes to memory.  And, regarding what you just said about a dozen reverts, that is kind of what FMRS is doing internally.

Based on the files you posted, I can pretty much say that you ran out of memory

I removed the few mods I had left to see if it would change anything, but now I'm getting a crash when attempting to switch to the dropped stage. Here are the log and craft files, this is with mechjeb only (embedded so there is no mechjeb part on craft) and MM:

7z:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3LbssxbT8LFVzFKY2JlNmYtRWM

or

Zip:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3LbssxbT8LFT0NoUXE5d21FWUE

Edited by kendoka15

@linuxgurugamer
After some testing I can say the plugin works, although when you load separation again the stages are still clipped like on this screenshot (1).

https://s10.postimg.org/xg2l89ssp/screenshot3.png

Also action groups seems to be messed up. Toggle engine action toggles engine twice, so it turns on engine and then immediately shuts it down.
Also the GUI can't be turned off.

https://s10.postimg.org/xrk1l198p/screenshot2.png

Will post logs and craft files when I recreate this tommorow on another save.

44 minutes ago, GrzesiekB said:

@linuxgurugamer
After some testing I can say the plugin works, although when you load separation again the stages are still clipped like on this screenshot (1).

https://s10.postimg.org/xg2l89ssp/screenshot3.png

Also action groups seems to be messed up. Toggle engine action toggles engine twice, so it turns on engine and then immediately shuts it down.
Also the GUI can't be turned off.

https://s10.postimg.org/xrk1l198p/screenshot2.png

Will post logs and craft files when I recreate this tommorow on another save.

I'm not sure what you are talking about in the first screenshot.

Re. the GUI, I'm aware that it can't be turned off.  I'm trying to understand what is the intended behaviour before I touch that code.

2 hours ago, kendoka15 said:

I removed the few mods I had left to see if it would change anything, but now I'm getting a crash when attempting to switch to the dropped stage. Here are the log and craft files, this is with mechjeb only (embedded so there is no mechjeb part on craft) and MM:

7z:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3LbssxbT8LFVzFKY2JlNmYtRWM

or

Zip:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3LbssxbT8LFT0NoUXE5d21FWUE

I just tried it, worked for me, so I think I need some more information.

Can you detail the timeline, or, better yet, make a video?  I'm sure that I'm not doing the the same as you , and it's probably affecting the outcome.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

In that very message which you quoted, I did post a link with the full package:

To make it easier to install, delete the ENTIRE FMRS directory in your game, then use the following link to download a complete beta release:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flzr38g8xi9k6f7/FMRS-1.0.3-beta.zip?dl=0

Open it up, find the FMRS directory and copy the entire directory to your GameData directory

You can't really compare previous version of KSP to the current, when it comes to memory.  And, regarding what you just said about a dozen reverts, that is kind of what FMRS is doing internally.

Based on the files you posted, I can pretty much say that you ran out of memory

Saying a system ran out of memory is the usual easy-out to avoid finding fault with the program.  FMRA should only have to conduct *one* revert each time I switch controlled stages- which, as I've said, is something my computer can easily handle.  I'm not running a real mod-heavy install, and that 11% of unused memory easily represents more RAM than the sum total of what all my mods use combined...

If FMRS manages to eat up over 200 MB of space just integrating two saves together (keeping in mind that the sace files are a *tiny fraction* of that size, and indeed an entire lvl 2 debug crash log is under 60 MB) then there's something seriously wrong with the way the mod conducts its memory-management.  But I'm not the only one experiencing crashes, so even that seems unlikely...

Anyhow, I can try using the new FMRS beta build and see if that fixes things.  I also might try turning off Razer Cortex- which manages RAM usage through its "Game Boost" mode.  It's perfectly possible *that* is actually what's causing the problem- it could even be artificially restricting memory usage- as I didn't have Razer Cortex the last time I had Flight Manager installed and working correctly...

Regards,

Northstar

Just now, Northstar1989 said:

Saying a system ran out of memory is the usual easy-out to avoid finding fault with the program.  FMRA should only have to conduct *one* revert each time I switch controlled stages- which, as I've said, is something my computer can easily handle.  I'm not running a real mod-heavy install, and that 11% of unused memory easily represents more RAM than the sum total of what all my mods use combined...

If FMRS manages to eat up over 200 MB of space just integrating two saves together (keeping in mind that the sace files are a *tiny fraction* of that size, and indeed an entire lvl 2 debug crash log is under 60 MB) then there's something seriously wrong with the way the mod conducts its memory-management.  But I'm not the only one experiencing crashes, so even that seems unlikely...

Anyhow, I can try using the new FMRS beta build and see if that fixes things.  I also might try turning off Razer Cortex- which manages RAM usage through its "Game Boost" mode.  It's perfectly possible *that* is actually what's causing the problem- it could even be artificially restricting memory usage- as I didn't have Razer Cortex the last time I had Flight Manager installed and working correctly...

For someone who wants help, you are being rather obnoxious.  

I didn't write this.  If you think that it should only do one revert, then be my guest and do your own debugging.

When I see numbers like this in the file:

89% memory in use.

where both the physical memory and paging file are at about 90%, it doesn't take much to fill it up.  The error in your file (attempting to access inaccessable memory) coupled with the minimal amount of memory available led me to the conclusion that in your case, it was most likely an out-of-memory situation.

And then you mentioned, almost as an aside, that you are running RazerCortex, which may be affecting this?  Please, give it a rest.

You really have no idea what else is using memory in your system.  I have (most likely) many more years of coding and experience than  you do, that based on your own statements earlier.

It is quite possible that there is something else going on, especially since my understanding of this mod is that it was never totally stable (I would appreciate clarification on this from people who have used it in the past).

A lot changed under the hood between KSP releases.  I'm working it as I can.  Test, report, and wait, is what you can do.  If you can look in the code, that's good as well, I'll be pushing my current changes to Github later this evening.

So now some questions which you might be able to answer:

• What did the toolbar button do in the older version?
  • How stable was FMRS in KSP 1.1.3 (or whichever version you were using)
  • Assuming the old version had problems, can you give me some idea as to what they were?

55 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

For someone who wants help, you are being rather obnoxious.  

I didn't write this.  If you think that it should only do one revert, then be my guest and do your own debugging.

When I see numbers like this in the file:

89% memory in use.

where both the physical memory and paging file are at about 90%, it doesn't take much to fill it up.  The error in your file (attempting to access inaccessable memory) coupled with the minimal amount of memory available led me to the conclusion that in your case, it was most likely an out-of-memory situation.

And then you mentioned, almost as an aside, that you are running RazerCortex, which may be affecting this?  Please, give it a rest.

You really have no idea what else is using memory in your system.  I have (most likely) many more years of coding and experience than  you do, that based on your own statements earlier.

It is quite possible that there is something else going on, especially since my understanding of this mod is that it was never totally stable (I would appreciate clarification on this from people who have used it in the past).

A lot changed under the hood between KSP releases.  I'm working it as I can.  Test, report, and wait, is what you can do.  If you can look in the code, that's good as well, I'll be pushing my current changes to Github later this evening.

So now some questions which you might be able to answer:

• What did the toolbar button do in the older version?
  • How stable was FMRS in KSP 1.1.3 (or whichever version you were using)
  • Assuming the old version had problems, can you give me some idea as to what they were?

Attempting to access inaccessible memory?  Would that maybe be the real problem here?

Razer Cortex is a memory-management program.  It closes down unnecessary processes and optimizes certain processor usage, but takes up RAM itself.  I find it saves me a net of about 20 MB if RAM and yields about a 2-5% increase in franerate for most games when I run it (including KSP).

It's not much, but every little bit helps when you're running games on as marginal a machine as mine (really not my fault- I'm broke despite doing all the "right" things, studying hard and getting a graduate degree in the sciences, and even working part-time in grad school in addition to my 40+ hours/wk of research work and classes- but failing to get any good professional employment after graduation...)

As for your questions:

- The toolbar button used to minimize/hide and expand the FMRS window showing available stages to switch to, etc.

- In my experience FMRS was *very* stable in previous versions of KSP (I'll have to check what version #'s those were I used it with), except for the very early versions of FMRS after it first got started.

FMRS did have a few bugs resulting from how it did what it was designed to do rather than any actual malfunction, though- for instance contracts could not be completed with dropped stages until they were landed and integrated into the main save, and Kerbal tourists could be both dead and alive at the same time in contracts in a kind of Schroedinger's Cat reminiscent paradox as they would make it to orbit alive in the original mission but then counted as dead when you switched back to a launch stage to pilot it back to the ground and the payload fell back into the atmosphere and disappeared in that version of the save...  This led to the main mission having the Ketbal tourist in orbit, alive, but failing the tourist contract due to the tourist "dying"...  (this was due to giving FMRS tracking for Kerbal deaths- a huge mistake IMHO that was later set as a toggleable setting in later versions...  I actually experienced it in the latest crash though, as I forgot to turn off Kerbal tracking under settings...)

- The old version problems were basically the kinds of things I outlined above.  Occasionally it could also have memory issues leading to CTD's if you used it after way too many reverts (so this issue isn't entirely unknown), but those were very rare and generally only occurred after hours of continuous playtime... (so it's more that these memory-management and efficiency issues seem to have gotten much worse in 1.2.x than that they are entirely new- much like the base game itself had memory issues that only popped up after version 1.0x, and got somewhat better for many people in 1.2)

A final note- FMRS was known to experience some pretty bad issues in past versions of 64-bit KSP.  I never really dealt with them much because so many other mods also had issues I played in 32-bit.  Now that 64-bit is stable for most mods, I'm playing with it instead.  Maybe part of these memory-issues have to do with 64-bit specifically.  I could try running the 32-bit exe and see if FMRS works better for me in it...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about in the first screenshot.

Thank You for replying. Mabe here You will able to see what I mean:

Spoiler

image.png

I think solution to this could be making a "save at separation" event not immediately after separation but with a slight delay ~1 or 2 seconds, when the stages are further apart. What do You think?

Edited by GrzesiekB

12 minutes ago, GrzesiekB said:

Thank You for replying. Mabe here You will able to see what I mean:

Hide contents

image.png

I think solution to this could be making a "save at separation" event not immediately after separation but with a slight delay ~1 or 2 seconds, when the stages are further apart. What do You think?

ok, I see what you are talking about, but I don't consider this a big thing, at least right now.  Crashes and nullrefs are more important.

I will keep in mind the save at seperation delay, may make that configurable if I can, will have to see

I have a request.

Could someone load up an older game, and make a video  showing the functioning of the mod?  Specifically, I'd like to see how the toolbar buttons worked.  The code is not at all clear, and I may just redo the button code, but would like to see how it used to work before I do anything there.

Thanks

Here is another build:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ge1beav5ehxk708/FMRS-1.2.0-Debug-Beta.zip?dl=0

No real changes, but the beta code is activated, and you can also click a button to mark a place in the log file as where a bug occurs.

Also, I just pushed the code to Github: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/FMRS

Edited by linuxgurugamer

29 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have a request.

Could someone load up an older game, and make a video  showing the functioning of the mod?  Specifically, I'd like to see how the toolbar buttons worked.  The code is not at all clear, and I may just redo the button code, but would like to see how it used to work before I do anything there.

Thanks

Couldn't you just use Scott Manley's old video showing FMRS and Stage Recovery for reference? Or is there something not in that video you want?

Edited by Wadusher

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have a request.

Thanks

No problem- it just so happens I made an abortive attempt at running a YouTube channel some time ago, and uploaded a number of videos where I used FMRS...

More videos using FMRS can ve found on my channel.  I installed it somewhere partway through my RSS 64K series in 0.24.2, and used it through pretty much my entire "Collaborative Career Campaign" (where I solicited mussion suggestions on the forums and attempted to execute some of them) series, which was in 0.90 I think...

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.