SIT89

[1.1.0] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (FMRS x1.1.0 [Experimental])

Recommended Posts

Hello everybody, I have started this (almost) fully reusable mun mission, and I have finished part 1 of a 3 part mission. For my mission to actually work, I had to use FMRS (without it I would never do these space x style missions) so I'd thought I better show it off.

Here is the album: http://imgur.com/gallery/ROVmo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I'm having trouble with what seems to be an FMRS-related bug. When a discarded stage descends to an altitude of about 65m, the game registers it as having splashed down (according to the results screen) and the parachutes cut out, leaving the stage to freefall the remaining distance and crash. Does anyone know how to fix this? I am using Realism Overhaul and the related mods, including RealChutes, if that helps. Also, my version of FMRS is slightly out of date - it is made for KSP 1.1 and I am using 1.1.3. If someone can direct me to a version rated for 1.1.3, it would be much appreciated.

I can't find the "write debug messages to log file"  option, sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone managing this amazing mod? :(

I have a question/problem. When i click "go to separation" the first stage is being loaded clipped into second stage and it explodes. Is there a way to tell FMRS to make save at separation but like +3 seconds later? When 2 stage is farther apart? Please help :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Wed Nov 09 2016 at 6:04 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

@aikixd

I took a fast look at the code, and have the following suggestions:

In FRMS_Core.cs, reflection is used to get the directory name of the executing assembly, at  lines 389 & 449:


stb_texture.LoadImage(System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes(Path.Combine(Path.GetDirectoryName(Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location), "icons/tb_st_en.png")));

There is no need for this.  it will start reading in the GameData directory, so change it to the following:


stb_texture.LoadImage(System.IO.File.ReadAllBytes("FRMS/icons/tb_st_en.png"));

 

Also, while I see that you did update the ToolbarWrapper code, the formatting is very different from what is currently provided, so I would suggest downloading a current version and changing ONLY the namespace, as suggested.  Here is a link to the current wrapper code:

https://github.com/blizzy78/ksp_toolbar/blob/master/Wrapper/ToolbarWrapper.cs

Why don"t you make these chsnges yourself, so the rest of us can enjoy a more functional version of FMRS until the original author returns to updating it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northstar1989 said:

Why don"t you make these chsnges yourself, so the rest of us can enjoy a more functional version of FMRS until the original author returns to updating it?

Why don't you?  I listed the changes needed.

I'm currently maintaining over 55 different mods.  

And your comment was, ummm, not really nice.  Would have made me feel better if you had requested, nicely, instead of demanding

However, I'll take a look at it, if I have time, it may be out later this weekend

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Why don't you?  I listed the changes needed.

I'm currently maintaining over 55 different mods.  

And your comment was, ummm, not really nice.  Would have made me feel better if you had requested, nicely, instead of demanding

However, I'll take a look at it, if I have time, it may be out later this weekend

Because I don't have the necessary skills to mess around with DLL's.  Just look at my Mass Driver mod-fork (linked in my signature)- I haven't so much forgotten about it as reached a point where further updating it is beyond my (non-existent) coding ability, and was unable to find anyone willing to make necessary changes for me...

Not meant to be mean, only to-the-point.  Would a smiley have helped soften the request?  :D

 

Speaking of bugs, issues, and such- it appears the function to switch which stage is the "main vessel" within the first 10 seconds of a staging event isn't working on the 1.03 debug version fork.

This isn't necessarily an issue for straight rockets- or even shuttles where the root part is located in the shuttle itself- but it *is* an issue for my attempt to carry out a Stratolaunch-style mission, where the root part lies in the plane but it's the detachable rocket that I need to fly to orbit and the plane that needs to land.

Based on how the plane is constructed (with extensive use of surface attachments) any attempt to re-root so the parent part lies in the rocket crashes my game (this is a known issue with certain types of vessel builds in stock KSP), so I really need the function to work as intended so that I can fly the *rocket* to orbit and then switch back to the plane to land it (rather than FMRS thinking I want to do it vise-versa, and making the plane the "Main Vessel" at staging).

 

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, yes, a smiley would have helped.  The written word came across as demanding, smiley would have softened it

I accept the apology, will assume its just a miscommunication snd will continue with updayimg it.  I will test your bug report before releasing.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually, yes, a smiley would have helped.  The written word came across as demanding, smiley would have softened it

I accept the apology, will assume its just a miscommunication snd will continue with updayimg it.  I will test your bug report before releasing.

Thanks

Thanks.

 

I managed to rebuild the plane/rocket pair so the root part was in the rocket by designing the rocket as a separate vessel and then merging the designs.  Now FMRS recognizes the staging events correctly and designates the vessel I want it to as the Main Vessel by default (although it still would be nice if re-designating in the first 10 seconds after staging still worked).

However, while FMRS recognizes each staging event, and correctly queues up each stage to switch back to, actually trying to DO so and switch back to a dropped stage, crashes the game instead- even though I waited to try to swap back to anything until the payload (a tourist in a Mk1 capsule, flown by a probe core) was already in orbit.

Since the ability to pilot dropped stages back to the ground is the main functionality of FMRS, this is obviously a pretty serious bug.  I only encountered it late last night/ this morning after I finally re-designated the root part so I wasn't trying to switch back to the stage I was currently piloting, and I had both debug levels toggled off at the time to minimize lag and try and ensure that running them caused no issues, but will try to find the time/motivation to reproduce the issue with debug levels both on at some point today...

 

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so this time FMRS managed to successfully load up one of the dropped stages (my plane) without crashing- but instead crashed when I tried to swap back to the main vessel (the rocket) after landing the dropped stage.

I was running FMRS on Debug levels 1 and 2, so in addition to the usual error.log file it produced a massive 56 MB output_log.txt file

Since that's much too large to copy-and-paste here, I have included a Dropbox link to the files below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wv1s6gzgpj11fng/AACCdx9gdV7AlGGCWNHD7Vroa?dl=0

 

No idea what went wrong here- but I know FMRS used to work fine for me on this laptop on previous versions of KSP.  I'm hoping you can sort through the issue here.

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Try with this, it's my latest compile:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/laj3xlv3p0e8nx8/fmrs-dll.zip?dl=0

I didn't get to this before re-creating the crash issue, so the files I posted correspond to the previous debug version (1.03) you posted here before.

 

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter, it's just a dll.  Replace the dll in whatever you have with this.

I'm working on some other stuff right now, so may not get to this today.

But, it would be very helpful if someone would post a video (or a link to one) showing me how it is supposed to work, since I haven't used this before.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It doesn't matter, it's just a dll.  Replace the dll in whatever you have with this.

I'm working on some other stuff right now, so may not get to this today.

But, it would be very helpful if someone would post a video (or a link to one) showing me how it is supposed to work, since I haven't used this before.

Thanks

In the OP there is a video linked, the second half is a walkthrough of this mod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, eberkain said:

In the OP there is a video linked, the second half is a walkthrough of this mod. 

Thanks, was a good vid

4 hours ago, Northstar1989 said:

OK, so this time FMRS managed to successfully load up one of the dropped stages (my plane) without crashing- but instead crashed when I tried to swap back to the main vessel (the rocket) after landing the dropped stage.

I was running FMRS on Debug levels 1 and 2, so in addition to the usual error.log file it produced a massive 56 MB output_log.txt file

Since that's much too large to copy-and-paste here, I have included a Dropbox link to the files below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wv1s6gzgpj11fng/AACCdx9gdV7AlGGCWNHD7Vroa?dl=0

 

No idea what went wrong here- but I know FMRS used to work fine for me on this laptop on previous versions of KSP.  I'm hoping you can sort through the issue here.

I didn't get to this before re-creating the crash issue, so the files I posted correspond to the previous debug version (1.03) you posted here before.

 

Regards,

Northstar

I need you to do the test with my dll, otherwise it's useless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I need you to do the test with my dll, otherwise it's useless.

I've got it installed now, so I'll be testing it shortly.  I've just been working on improving my Stratolaunch-style air-launch platform (swapping out some of the Goliath engines for ramjets, as they produce more Thrust at the relevant altitudes even at subsonic speeds, and increasing the wingspan even further- the point is to fly as high and at as low a dynamic pressure as possible to allow for the most stable and useful regime for decoupling the rocket payload...) while I waited to see if you learned anything useful from those crash logs...

 

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Northstar1989 said:

I've got it installed now, so I'll be testing it shortly.  I've just been working on improving my Stratolaunch-style air-launch platform (swapping out some of the Goliath engines for ramjets, as they produce more Thrust at the relevant altitudes even at subsonic speeds, and increasing the wingspan even further- the point is to fly as high and at as low a dynamic pressure as possible to allow for the most stable and useful regime for decoupling the rocket payload...) while I waited to see if you learned anything useful from those crash logs...

 

Regards,

Northstar

The problem is that those crash logs are for a DLL which was compiled against an old version of the game, which makes them useless for the current version

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ran an initial test, and it seems to be working.

The window is a bit wonky, though, I'll need to work on that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 9:38 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

The problem is that those crash logs are for a DLL which was compiled against an old version of the game, which makes them useless for the current version

Reproduced the crash from before, more or less.  Was able to swap successfully back to the plane and land it, but when choosing to return to the main mission, the game crashed.  A Dropbox link is attached below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qnndb0yy6iygw62/AABgS4jzfbq9_fWtvQekf4Jia?dl=0

You ran into no issues?  That's interesting, but not my experiences.  I keep getting crashes.

I'm hoping it's not something stupid like overtaxing my limited RAM or free hardrive space on my main (C://) drive (even though the game is installed on D://)

Anyways, the crash file is over 40 MB (created with Debug lvl 1 and 2 in FMRS enabled), so you should have plenty to work with there...

 

17 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just ran an initial test, and it seems to be working.

The window is a bit wonky, though, I'll need to work on that

Also, I didn't have too many problems with the window in any build so far- aside from it occasionally failing to minimize.

 

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Northstar1989 said:

Reproduced the crash from before, more or less.  Was able to swap successfully back to the plane and land it, but when choosing to return to the main mission, the game crashed.  A Dropbox link is attached below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qnndb0yy6iygw62/AABgS4jzfbq9_fWtvQekf4Jia?dl=0

You ran into no issues?  That's interesting, but not my experiences.  I keep getting crashes.

I'm hoping it's not something stupid like overtaxing my limited RAM or free hardrive space on my main (C://) drive (even though the game is installed on D://)

Anyways, the crash file is over 40 MB (created with Debug lvl 1 and 2 in FMRS enabled), so you should have plenty to work with there...

 

Also, I didn't have too many problems with the window in any build so far- aside from it occasionally failing to minimize.

Hate to say it, but it looks like you just ran out of memory.  The clues are in the error.log:

89% memory in use.
1940 MB physical memory [210 MB free].
3855 MB paging file [205 MB free].

Looks like you have 2 gig of memory.  Not much free, and your paging file is also full.  Are you perhaps running on a laptop?  You also don't have a lot of video memory.

Regarding the window, the problems I've seen are the following:

Toolbar button doesn't do anything
Window flickers when dragging

I've fixed the flickering, but haven't yet looked at the toolbar.  I did try testing with the Blizzy toolbar, and when it's there, I will see the toolbar button in both places, and both are useless.

Finally, you are NOT USING THE DLL I POSTED!  Therefore you are wasting my time.  I can tell because the KSP writes the mod version to the log file, and you have the wrong one.

Using that old dll with the new version of the game is guaranteed to fail, in strange and unusual ways.

I'm going to assume that you sent the wrong files, so I'm just going to ignore these files and this error report until I get a valid test.

To make it easier to install, delete the ENTIRE FMRS directory in your game, then use the following link to download a complete beta release:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flzr38g8xi9k6f7/FMRS-1.0.3-beta.zip?dl=0

Open it up, find the FMRS directory and copy the entire directory to your GameData directory

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm testing the link above right now, so far so good :) Will report back if something unusual happens. Thanks for working on this  and the multitude of other mods you maintain :P

(I don't have blizzy toolbar)

Edited by kendoka15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.