[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

I installed MKS/OKS and then installed this, but there are no resource settings, even in the settings menu... What am I doing wrong?

edit: idk how but I ended up with a one year old version. All is good now.

edit update: It maps.... but no resources show up on the map. Resource overlay is turned on in settings....... do I need more than a SAR scanner to get resources...... very confused.

Edited by Lillz

I don't know if this bug has been reported yet (I'm sure it has, but I haven't the time to check), but once I installed ScanSat (something remarkable considering that I have tried for months without success, but suddenly it works now) I couldn't use RPM. Whenever I go into IVA, I can't interact with the buttons, the screens, or even the throttle.

My craft do fly, however, but I absolutely love RPM and I would love to use it alongside this mod.

I have a lot of mods installed, but only ScanSat broke my game.

RPM

KAS

Kethane

Kethane Plus Mars Edition (adds iron as a mine-able resource)

KW Rocketry

Scansat

Fine Print

Hullcam

FASA Launch Clamps

TAC Life Support

Vessel Viewer

Toolbar

Kerbal Engineer

000 Toolbar

All of which are up to date.

Also, something I noticed: After some minutes of testing around, I decided to install Karbonite 0.4.1 on that same KSP .24.2. And that added a new button to my Kethane scanner (!) : "Start Kethane Scan".

Karbonite comes with Module Manager, which is necessary to add the SCANsat module to Kethane scanners.

If I put a kethane sensor and a scansat sensor on my probe will they both work to produce a scansat and kethane map?

Kethane integration is not functional currently.

Any fixes for tarsier space technology incompatibility?

There is no incompatibility, Tarsier simply doesn't work, and it fails in a catastrophic way. By interrupting the scenario module loading process it breaks every subsequent scenario module. This will destroy any saved SCANsat data (along with saved data from other addons, such as Kethane scans, life support data, or anything else that uses scenario modules). The only real solution is not to use Tarsier.

edit update: It maps.... but no resources show up on the map. Resource overlay is turned on in settings....... do I need more than a SAR scanner to get resources...... very confused.

For some reason MKS no longer comes with the requisite SCANsat resource scanners. You have to get Karbonite if you want to scan for MKS resources.

I don't know if this bug has been reported yet (I'm sure it has, but I haven't the time to check), but once I installed ScanSat (something remarkable considering that I have tried for months without success, but suddenly it works now) I couldn't use RPM. Whenever I go into IVA, I can't interact with the buttons, the screens, or even the throttle.

Need more info.

I've just installed the latest SCANSat and Karbonite releases and tried it out by putting a satellite in a polar orbit of the Mun.

While Karbonite deposits are showing (the orange markers) I'm having trouble when I use the "big map" view of SCANSat as no resource overlay is showing.

I've checked the options and everything is set correctly. I used this for reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMozN4jpxbU - and expected the pink resource overlay to the map.

Wanted to know if this feature has been removed or is not working in the current version. If it is a still a valid/working feature, any ideas why I am not seeing this overlay?

Karbonite comes with Module Manager, which is necessary to add the SCANsat module to Kethane scanners.

How dumb of me. My apologies for that.

Then, again, can you confirm that the Kethane-SCANsat functionality was working fine in KSP .24.2 (SCANsat v7rc4 and Kethane 0.8.8.1)?

How dumb of me. My apologies for that.

Then, again, can you confirm that the Kethane-SCANsat functionality was working fine in KSP .24.2 (SCANsat v7rc4 and Kethane 0.8.8.1)?

Try v7rc5 with Kethane 0.9. I'm not sure about other versions.

Tried that, no luck.

maUmsxg.png

As seen on the screenshot, The Kethane marker is turned on, the red scan line is refreshing up, but there's no difference between the bottom and the upper side of that red line. (there's no 'kethane grid'.)

Also, no "kethane" data is shown when I rover my cursor over the map.

P.S.: Note that Module Manager is not installed in this version, as I'm not trying to use the SCANsat scanning feature in the Kethane Scanner. Instead, I'm using the SCANsat altimetry scanner to scan for Kethane. If this was a terrible mistake, please forgive my dumbness once again.

Anyway, as said before, I'm not asking for support to an older version. I was just trying see if it works in that older version, while we don't have a Kethane update.

Thank you very much again for your patience and for clarifying things! You rock, DMagic!

Edited by Kowgan

I am using the Kolonization mod which uses the Open Resource. I originally setup a scanning probe around Mun and for some reason Water would now show up in ScanSat. There were 4 other resources which all showed up fine in the system but not water.

Also I recently sent a probe out to Minmus to look for a site to build base. However for some reason NONE of the resources are showing up in ScanSat when I look at it's map. I can go to the Mun probe and view its maps that still show the resources but not the Minmus one. The probe I sent to Minmus is nearly identical, has a few more solar panels, because kethane scanner kept draining the battery on the one around Mun.

I'm confused as to why one would work and the other wouldn't.

I am using the Kolonization mod which uses the Open Resource. I originally setup a scanning probe around Mun and for some reason Water would now show up in ScanSat.

it's not a problem with SCANsat its a misconfigured part on USI's side. it has been corrected for next release.

and without more details it's hard to say why you see something on Mun but not minmus.

Edited by Tebryn

Sorry if this has already been asked but, I'm trying to update all the mods I use. Does this latest version contain ScansatRPM or, is that a separate download? Thanks in advance and by the "love this mod". Keep up the great work. Much appreciation to all mod makers.

SCANsatRPM is integrated into the main SCANsat.dll. If you have any old copies of it lying around you should get rid of them.

I'm getting the impression that the answer is 'yes', but a thread search hasn't revealed the answer: does SCANSat properly detect ORS resources (as distinct from ORSX)?

SCANsat doesn't interact with ORS or ORS resources in any way. That said, if you have the community resource pack and the [thread=94876]additional pack[/thread] for use with KSPI resources, you can still get maps for the planetary resources from Interstellar. Definitions and links to the KSPI maps are included in that, the required MM config to add SCANsat modules to the KSPI scanner part is also included in that.

This is a very brief outline of how to scan for resources using SCANsat. At some point I'll add something better here and to the first post.

The first thing to check out is RoverDude's video from the Karbonite thread (at about the 8min mark), which goes over the process very well.

Required Components

• SCANsat, obviously
  • ORSX, included in USI addons *Note that standard ORS does not work
  • ORSX Planetary Resource Definitions, included in USI addons in the [thread=91998]Community Resource Pack[/thread]
  • Module Manager and MM configs to add the SCANsat module to the appropriate scanner parts, included in USI addons

Resource Scanning

With all of these components you will end up with SCANsat modules on the ORSX resource scanner parts (the Karbonite Detection Array, and the Planetary Survey Camera). These scanners are activated and used in the same manner as the standard SCANsat sensors. The primary difference is that there is no indicator on the small map for scanning altitude (the blinking orange/green lights). Instead, all SCANsat sensors display an altitude indicator in their right-click context menu. Scanning altitude is also indicated in the VAB for each part. Resource scanning data will be saved in the same way as standard SCANsat data is.

Standard SCANsat scanners (RADAR, SAR, Multispec) are not used for resource scanning in any way, unless you've specifically modified them to do so.

zvZCWt9.jpg

* Note that the "Display Karbonite Hotspots" button is a standard ORSX function, and has nothing to do with SCANsat scanning.

Resource Display

The first post has some examples of how to activate and select which resource to display. Resources are only displayed on the big map.

For now all resource selection is handled through the settings menu. For a preview of a less-terrible method, check out the KSC map in the [thread=96859]dev version[/thread].

ttWoYUK.png

Kethane Resources

The Kethane interface isn't functional right now. But the process will basically work the same way. Module Manager configs (MM isn't included with SCANsat or Kethane, so you'll need to have that) add SCANsat modules to the Kethane scanners. These can be used directly in the same manner as the ORSX scanners; they work in the background and save their scanning data.

It is also possible to take scanning data already collected using standard Kethane scanners and incorporate those into SCANsat. This is done automatically every time you load or switch to Kethane resources. Data can also be transferred from SCANsat, back to Kethane using a button in the settings menu. It is a little finicky about updating the Kethane grid (it usually requires a reload, or changing scenes), but that obviously isn't a problem right now.

Thanks for the guide, DMagic. As always, your effort is much appreciated. Also, that new possibly-upcoming feature to see all planetoids from the KSC (or from anywhere?) is great!

Just to clear my conscience: Although you said "the process will basically work the same way" for Kethane, I'm right to think we don't need the ORSX pack, stated on the "Required Compoents", right? To me, it doesn't make sense having them since they don't have any relations.

If so, then can I assume the "Required Components" topic is actually the "SCANsat-Karbonite Required Components"?

Thanks again!

I would recommend changing the node_attach config for the normal RADAR part to

node_attach = 0.0, -0.095, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

The existing value of "0.0, -0.055, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0" embeds the part into what it's attached to, and I've had problems with the part exploding on my craft when coming out of time warp or reloading the scene because it collides with another part. This change does result in the part hovering slightly above what you put it on, but the multispectral scanner hovers too, and that's better than explosions.

Cheers!

Hey I have some questions about how SCANsat handles anomalies.

I just installed Kerbin Side which adds a bunch of static objects to kerbin and the ability to launch planes and rockets from them; it does this through Kerbal Konstructs.

Since I installed it all the static objects that it adds show up on the SCANsat map, which is awesome!

However it literally identifies every individual object, not a huge deal except that for the name it shows the part name and folder location, like:

KerbinSide/Parts/Static/ksidejebsairport

Which is really annoying clogging up my big map with lots of text.

I didn't see anything in either the KerbinSide of KerbalKonstructs folders that would suggest they are trying to add it but i suppose it could be in the plugins.

So my question is is this something that is handled of the SCANsat side or the KerbinSide... side lol, and what can be done to fix it?

Thank you!

Edit: Ok so after searching some more on the KerbinSide thread i found this mentioned and it is due to SCANsat identifying anything using the PQSCity class as anomalous, which is totally cool, my main issue is the name it displays, is there any way to get it to not show the entire folder directory?

Edited by Akira_R

First of all, I love the mod. It's great for mission planning and gives my space program something to do while its probes are traveling to other planets or while Mun missions are being carried out.

One question I do have is, what is the asteroid doing on my map? I haven't had an asteroid impact Kerbin nor have I recovered an asteroid, so what gives?

am i the only one that didnt get the MapTraq part in the download and if so any ideas on how to get it?
The maptraq part has been deprecated. It's functionality has been integrated into all command pods by default

The MapTraq hasn't quite been integrated into all command pods; it's more that its functionality has been completely off-loaded to another component, making it redundant and also allowing for scanning to function in the background without any SCANsat parts or modules. The is a Module Manager config adding a SCANsat module to some command pods, but that is for RPM integration and is entirely unrelated to basic SCANsat functions.

Thanks for the guide, DMagic. As always, your effort is much appreciated. Also, that new possibly-upcoming feature to see all planetoids from the KSC (or from anywhere?) is great!

Just to clear my conscience: Although you said "the process will basically work the same way" for Kethane, I'm right to think we don't need the ORSX pack, stated on the "Required Compoents", right? To me, it doesn't make sense having them since they don't have any relations.

If so, then can I assume the "Required Components" topic is actually the "SCANsat-Karbonite Required Components"?

Thanks again!

Yes, only SCANsat and Kethane would be required. Module Manager is also required if you want any of the benefits beyond displaying existing Kethane data on SCANsat maps (ie background scanning); it is not included with either addon.

Also, yes, the KSC map available in the dev version will eventually replace the old big map. There are a few options that aren't available when not in flight that need to be added, and it needs to be re-sizable, but otherwise it should be about the same, including the ability to display other planets.

I would recommend changing the node_attach config for the normal RADAR part to

node_attach = 0.0, -0.095, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

The existing value of "0.0, -0.055, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0" embeds the part into what it's attached to, and I've had problems with the part exploding on my craft when coming out of time warp or reloading the scene because it collides with another part. This change does result in the part hovering slightly above what you put it on, but the multispectral scanner hovers too, and that's better than explosions.

Cheers!

Yes, some of those attachment nodes probably need to be fixed, but it unlikely that this is the only thing causing problems like that. There are a number of parts, stock and addon, that clip into the collider of their parent part. The wildly inconsistent position of colliders with respect to the part's geometry really doesn't help in this area.

Is it possible to adjust the speed with which the completed map loads from the bottom-up?

My thought being that complete map data might load faster if it were stored on a Kard-drive

That is basically at the top of the list of SCANsat issues. But being somewhat of a thorny problem it's not something likely to be improved significantly any time soon.

Edit: Ok so after searching some more on the KerbinSide thread i found this mentioned and it is due to SCANsat identifying anything using the PQSCity class as anomalous, which is totally cool, my main issue is the name it displays, is there any way to get it to not show the entire folder directory?

Yep, there has been some discussion of this, but the current solution is not very good. Getting rid of the folder names should probably not be too difficult. Ideally there would be some way to filter out which objects should be displayed as anomalies without just hard-coding the list.

First of all, I love the mod. It's great for mission planning and gives my space program something to do while its probes are traveling to other planets or while Mun missions are being carried out.

One question I do have is, what is the asteroid doing on my map? I haven't had an asteroid impact Kerbin nor have I recovered an asteroid, so what gives?

The asteroids are doing what they do. If one is passing through Kerbin's SOI, or in orbit, it will show up on the big map if you have the Asteroid button turned on.

Edited by DMagic

Hi.

Tried this for the first time last night, and absolutely love it.

One question, though: Are there any plans to integrate SCANsat with the stock app-launcher toolbar?

I don't use blizzy's toolbar, as I don't use many mods, and have no need of it. I would, on the other hand, like to be able to open SCANsat maps without having to switch ships and stop/start scanning to do so.

I understand that this may well be a very low-priority request, but I would appreciate it if you'd consider it for a future version.