[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Has anyone had any luck using the karbonite detection array to scan for ore? It seems to show karbonite and some other resources on the scanSAT maps but not ore. I have scanned kerbin and mun so far. When i right click it lets me start a karbonite scan and recourse scan and i have tried both. Any help is appreciated.

Has anyone had any luck using the karbonite detection array to scan for ore? It seems to show karbonite and some other resources on the scanSAT maps but not ore. I have scanned kerbin and mun so far. When i right click it lets me start a karbonite scan and recourse scan and i have tried both. Any help is appreciated.

Same problem here, although I haven't yet detected any resources. I'm just able to click the buttons for the KA-100 and I'm not sure anything happens.

058550215802FD4BE8116F595E1E91B509DF8A36

Why would the Karbonite detector be used to scan for ore? There is already a part for that; use the Karbonite detector to scan for Karbonite.

The "Start Resource Scan" button shouldn't really be there, it's left over from Karbonite still including SCANsat module manager configs (the same thing happens with the MKS Planetary Survey Camera). Both buttons, "Start Resource" and "Start Karbonite" will do the same thing, and either is only necessary if you have deactivated the Instant Scan toggle in the settings menu.

Can you please clarify the instant scan toggle?

My current understanding is that when that is enabled, any SCANsat pass will gather all resources for the area, where disabled will only gather for that specific scanner type. Is that correct? Last I'd looked at the docs, that was how I read it, but wasn't positive.

Thanks!

Can you please clarify the instant scan toggle?

My current understanding is that when that is enabled, any SCANsat pass will gather all resources for the area, where disabled will only gather for that specific scanner type. Is that correct? Last I'd looked at the docs, that was how I read it, but wasn't positive.

Thanks!

No. Instant scan means that it instantly scans the entire body. Disable instant scan and it will not instantly scan the entire body.

My current understanding is that when that is enabled, any SCANsat pass will gather all resources for the area, where disabled will only gather for that specific scanner type. Is that correct?

No, with the instant scan option off the stock resource scan won't do anything to SCANsat resource maps. With the option enabled the stock resource scan will completely fill in SCANsat resource maps for all resources on that planet.

From the FAQ at the top of the first post:

When the Instant Resource Scan option is toggled off in the settings menu SCANsat resource overlays will only be generated by standard SCANsat scanning. See the short picture tutorial below on how to activate and control resource scanners.

This does not interfere with the stock scanning mechanism, and planetary resource overlays are still available and not affected by SCANsat.

Because I haven't quite decided how to handle different resources, the stock orbital survey scanner, the big dish, can scan be used to create SCANsat resource maps for all of the resources defined in the Community Resource Pack and stock Ore, using the "Start Resource Scan" button (which should only be visible if you have disabled the instant scan option).

Included in the download is another Module Manager config for the narrow-band scanner that only scans for stock Ore (it is disabled by default, change the "activeModule" field to true to enable it), along with a config for the Karbonite detector to scan for that, and a config for the MKS antenna to scan for everything else (substrate, minerals, metallic ore, water, uraninite).

You can change the config for the stock orbital scanner to only scan for ore, I put a note in the config about that.

Also, I updated the docs with a simple example of how stock, instant, resource scans work with SCANsat, and how to clear any existing landing target selections.

Since we are likely to get another KSP update relatively soon I will update this again. There are a few minor bugs fixes and I'll include He-3 by default as a SCANsat resource.

But I'm open to suggestions about how to handle adding SCANsat resource scanners. Should I keep it how it is? Make the orbital survey scanner only scan for stock ore?

Edited by DMagic

Ok went back several pages and didn't see this question so I will ask (Haven't decided if i want to reinstall this yet or not).

If you choose to use the Default style Resource mapping (instascan), Does that also affect the terrain mapping for science function? I am hoping they are separated so that you don't get instant map & anomaly reveal just for being impatience about trying to find a good ISRU location :P

Thanks, I had read that, but I was misinterpreting how I saw that behavior in-game :)

That's helpful though, thank you.

I like having the different scanners required for different resources, personally. I can see how it could be a micromanaging annoyance to some degree, but it makes it more logical that over time you unlock new scanners for additional resources, and therefore require new survey missions for higher-grade resources. He3, Karborundum, etc.

Not sure this is a bug, but when my Alitomerty scanning sat ran out of electricity it carried on scanning! This was good cos I'd misjudged how much I'd need to complete my contract, but I didn't think the was how it 'should' work is it?

Good Morning!

I'm new to Scansat. I have made the initial scan of Kerbin and it says I have 30 science. I transmit this but I do not get the science and when I go back to the craft, the science is still there. Am I missing a step to get his done. I'm in Career mode, is there a building I should upgrade to receive this data? Thanks for any guidance :)

I like having the different scanners required for different resources, personally. I can see how it could be a micromanaging annoyance to some degree, but it makes it more logical that over time you unlock new scanners for additional resources, and therefore require new survey missions for higher-grade resources. He3, Karborundum, etc.

I have a new idea for how to handle the high resolution-low resolution scanner dichotomy. The big dish could be used as a low resolution scanner for all resources, they would show up on the big map and on planet overlays similar to how the low resolution altimetry scan works now (but in color). Then the individual narrow-band scanners could be used to generate high resolution maps of their respective resources. Restrictions on the zoom map would remain how they are now.

This would preserve the value of different scanner types, provide more of a reason to use the different scanners, and would be simple to implement (basically, low resolution resource scans would have a single sensor type that would cover all valid resources, whereas each high resolution scanner would have its own sensor type).

I'll probably start actually working on this stuff over the weekend, I'll see how it all works out then.

Not sure this is a bug, but when my Alitomerty scanning sat ran out of electricity it carried on scanning! This was good cos I'd misjudged how much I'd need to complete my contract, but I didn't think the was how it 'should' work is it?

There are a few issues with electricity usage and scanners, but most of the time running out of EC should prevent scanning from continuing. At very high time warp this doesn't happen, I'm not sure if there is still a reason for this way of doing it, it used to cause problems when you tried to request EC at high time warp (the charge would jump up and down sporadically), but I haven't looked into it for a long time.

hi there, I was looking for a way to extract the biome maps of the stock planets.

I thought I could use the one scanned by ScanSat but all the biomes have a white line delimiting the region, is it possible to see only the biomes?

I tried to look around but found no answer yet, sorry if this was already asked before

Good Morning!

I'm new to Scansat. I have made the initial scan of Kerbin and it says I have 30 science. I transmit this but I do not get the science and when I go back to the craft, the science is still there. Am I missing a step to get his done. I'm in Career mode, is there a building I should upgrade to receive this data? Thanks for any guidance :)

If you are using science alert you need to update it. This problem was solved a few pages back. If you are not using science alerts then im not sure.

Why would the Karbonite detector be used to scan for ore? There is already a part for that; use the Karbonite detector to scan for Karbonite.

The "Start Resource Scan" button shouldn't really be there, it's left over from Karbonite still including SCANsat module manager configs (the same thing happens with the MKS Planetary Survey Camera). Both buttons, "Start Resource" and "Start Karbonite" will do the same thing, and either is only necessary if you have deactivated the Instant Scan toggle in the settings menu.

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't need it to scan for ore I just thought it did and wasn't working. Looks like the stock scanner is the only ore scanner. The array detects karbonite and the planetary camera scans for everything else.

I like the idea you just had about scanning for the diffrent resources. One scanner for low resolution and individual scanners for high resolution info. That way we can scan the planet for the low resolution then go back only with the scanners for the resources we need from that body.

I am using Science Alert. I will update it as soon as I get home from work. Thanks Toogy1206 :)

If you are using science alert you need to update it. This problem was solved a few pages back. If you are not using science alerts then im not sure.

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't need it to scan for ore I just thought it did and wasn't working. Looks like the stock scanner is the only ore scanner. The array detects karbonite and the planetary camera scans for everything else.

I like the idea you just had about scanning for the diffrent resources. One scanner for low resolution and individual scanners for high resolution info. That way we can scan the planet for the low resolution then go back only with the scanners for the resources we need from that body.

Edited by kadavi1202

Can you add the biome map overlay that you can find in debbug mode (alt-F12) to scansat so we can have the same overlay as resources?

I'm no modder and so I have no idea of the feasibility of what I am imagining, but would it be possible to make an "inverted colored" scanSat overlay map over those two stock overlays that would hide those maps underneath it and reveal them when a satellite passes over them? This could solve the problem of not being able to show only portions of the stock overlays due to stock game code functionality.

Is there a way to speed up map generation in the big map? I have to wait 5 minutes every time I switch between celestial bodies or resource overlays. Can I save the map data (not just the picture) for easy access later? Or stopping it from autorefreshing the image every time I change the resource overlay would be useful too.

Good Morning!

Had the same problem. Using latest ScienceAlert and ScanSat contracts.

After game restart it worked.

Ok I recently installed a couple mods and stuff unrelated to scan sat. And I was looking through the alt-F2. Debug window on load up just to see if anything was going wrong with the new mods. (Not sure if they were good to go for 1.02)

the he final three entries in the debug window are a white log message, not a red error message. All 3 of the messages say this

[log]:[scansat] scansat resource [karborundum] cannot be found in master resource storage list. (There are 3 instances of this message)

is this an issue or bug of some kind? I haven't done scans yet or anything so idk if anything is wrong really. Just wondering if there are any thoughts on this. Should I be concerned or not?

Im on scansat v12. And karbonite 6.2 Karbonite plus 4.1. (Both karbonite mods updated 5 days ago) so everything should be good for 1.02 KSP.

going to post on the karbonite thread too, not sure if there is a problem, or where the problem would be if there is one.

So, I have CRP, MKS/OKS installed, and the stock scanner (NOT the narrow band one) just has 1 resource scan toggle, but it will not show up Ore except on kerbin. I have instascan disabled, but if I "perform orbital survey" it shows up the stock overlay for everything, Ore included. In the VAB/SPH tooltip it has resource as "DefinedResources" or something.

???

[log]:[scansat] scansat resource [karborundum] cannot be found in master resource storage list.

This is normal, Karborundum isn't supported by SCANsat. When it detects a planetary resource that isn't supported this warning shows.

So, I have CRP, MKS/OKS installed, and the stock scanner (NOT the narrow band one) just has 1 resource scan toggle, but it will not show up Ore except on kerbin. I have instascan disabled, but if I "perform orbital survey" it shows up the stock overlay for everything, Ore included. In the VAB/SPH tooltip it has resource as "DefinedResources" or something.

???

Pictures, or a clearer description of what you're doing and what is happening.

Basically, I send up a probe with the stock folding dish scanner at at altitude of 250km, polar orbit, hit start resource scan. Every resource EXCEPT ore shows up. I've got insta scan and biome lock turned OFF. Now, without changing those options, I click perform orbital survey and all the stock overlay and everything shows up for all resources, INCLUDING ore. This is for the Mun and Minmus so far. Kerbin scans fine, which is really weird IMO. I really don't know how to make it clearer? I do have CRP and MKS/OKS installed.

Here's an output_log from my latest KSP run: http://www./view/in2zflenbawggwz/output_log.txt