[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Is it just me, or are the built in contracts not showing up for anyone else? Normally they appear as soon as I unlock the first scanner in the tech tree but right now, nada.

On 3/6/2016 at 11:39 AM, DMagic said:

Version 14.9 is out

It also fixes some issues with contract generation,

I'm still having issues with contract generation in a stock only save which I made in an attempt to test something. Also, with Contract Configurator, it shows up fine, but there's another problem going on with them in CC

@Deimos Rast SCANsat actually logs some info about the science amount when you collect data, you can see it at the very end of the log file you submitted.

What it's showing is, first: The scanning coverage amount, then the science cap for that planet, the science multiplier for that planet, the scientific value (which is always 1 and can be ignored) and the resulting science amount for that scan before accounting for any previous data transmissions. 

The second line shows how much science points you should receive for the data (after accounting for previous results), and the base experiment value (the value defined in the science defs file, which isn't actually used :confused:).

The third line shows the total amount of data. This is the value shown in small print in the results windows, not the science value amount (that is shown by the colored bars); it affects transmission time and power requirements.

These logs need to be updated so that they show more relevant data. But in your case it's showing that you are collecting data from a full scan, with a science value cap of 150 (from the science defs file) and a planetary multiplier of 1.5 (so I'm assuming this is a Kerbin scan). That results in a max possible value of 225 science, but it seems you already have that amount collected, so the end result is 0 science.

It is also possible that having different science base and cap levels affects the resulting science value shown in the results window.

There are several aspects of this that I can fix, and several that can be made more intuitive; though in general KSP doesn't seem to like this kind of manual manipulation of science values.

@smjjames Well, I did say some issues were fixed. :D 

The specific issue was that contracts might not have been generating if you had never visited a planet outside of Kerbin space (I don't think the sun counts).

The problem with contracts appearing then immediately vanishing might be a CC issue combined with the way that stock periodically prunes the contract list to make sure there aren't too many. 

@Loren Pechtel For Kerbin results you don't even have to go anywhere. Just put a scanner on the pad, collect data, and recover the craft.

Edited by DMagic

@DMagic and the rest of the scansat team

I'm looking to add compatibility for scansat to my rescale mod.

Since my mod changes the size of planets and orbits, I was thinking to change some of scansat parameters to make them fit the rescaled planets.

I was thinking to change these parameters:

Spoiler

in all "ModuleSCANresourceScanner" MODULEs:

min_alt      max_alt      best_alt    <   multiply these by the planetary radius multiplier

plus, all these values:

SCAN_Color_Config
{
	defaultMinHeightRange = 
	defaultMaxHeightRange = 
	rangeAboveMaxHeight = 
	rangeBelowMinHeight = 
	SCANsat_Altimetry
	{
		Item
		{
			minHeightRange = 
			maxHeightRange = 
		}
	}
}

plus

min_alt      max_alt      best_alt

in all  "SCANsat" MODULEs of any PART

is there something I should consider changing other than those values?

thanks for you help :)

@Sigma88 Those look fine, and are the only SCANsat values that should need changing. 

The only potential problem is that the values in the SCAN_Color_Config can be saved from in-game. So if they are multiplied by MM, then saved in-game, the multiplied values will end up as the base value in the config file, which will then be multiplied again. This won't affect existing saves, their values are loaded from the save file itself. The values in the config file are used for new save files and for reverting to default values.

I'm not sure of the best way to handle altering the terrain values, other than specifying exactly what the min and max height should be, rather than using a multiplier. But that's a bit of a pain, and won't really be able to take additional planets into account.

For the majority of users a simple multiplier MM config should work fine though. You might just want to add a note about not overwriting the config file from in-game.

13 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Sigma88 Those look fine, and are the only SCANsat values that should need changing. 

The only potential problem is that the values in the SCAN_Color_Config can be saved from in-game. So if they are multiplied by MM, then saved in-game, the multiplied values will end up as the base value in the config file, which will then be multiplied again. This won't affect existing saves, their values are loaded from the save file itself. The values in the config file are used for new save files and for reverting to default values.

I'm not sure of the best way to handle altering the terrain values, other than specifying exactly what the min and max height should be, rather than using a multiplier. But that's a bit of a pain, and won't really be able to take additional planets into account.

For the majority of users a simple multiplier MM config should work fine though. You might just want to add a note about not overwriting the config file from in-game.

so if I understand this correctly, when you save from the ingame GUI the stuff gets written into the cfg that gets also loaded from MM when launching KSP ?

I guess your solution is probably the easiest one, warn players to not save it from ingame. If I get ppl complaining I will look further into it :D

thank you for you help @DMagic

@Sigma88 Yeah. So if a stock planet has a max altitude of 4000m, then there is a MM multiplier of 4, the max will be 20000m. If you start a new game that planet will then have its max altitude set at 20000m, if you save the values from in-game that value of 20000m will be written to the config. The next time you load it will then get multiplied again, to 80000m; this could go on endlessly, so not saving would be the best option.

The only players that this would really affect are those that like to customize terrain and resource values a lot, and that play multiple different saves. The best option for them might be to customize everything to their liking before installing Sigma Dimensions. Or just save everything then delete the MM config.

Maybe making two configs for SCANsat would be best, one for the scanners and one for the color config file.

Edited by DMagic

2 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Sigma88 Yeah. So if a stock planet has a max altitude of 4000m, then there is a MM multiplier of 4, the max will be 20000m. If you start a new game that planet will then have its max altitude set at 20000m, if you save the values from in-game that value of 20000m will be written to the config. The next time you load it will then get multiplied again, to 80000m; this could go on endlessly, so not saving would be the best option.

The only players that this would really affect are those that like to customize terrain and resource values a lot, and that play multiple different saves. The best option for them might be to customize everything to their liking before installing Sigma Dimensions.

yeah, or just find the settings they like using SD, and then divide those numbers by the multipliers before saving

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Einkleinermensch said:

Hi, guys. I'm having that trouble with RT on Linux RSS and RO install: data from scanneris transmitting, but without any science regards. I tried that patched RT .dll, but it seems not working. Is here a way to fix it?

I also came here for exactly this issue, I tried the .dll in the OP but I still cannot transmit science from a scan. I have posted in the RT thread also.

Using RSS/RO/RP-0

I have an issue where, at times, after some contract offer declines, I will get the Scansat "Biome Scan of Kerbin" contract offered for about 1/3 second, then it quickly disappears. I have already been offered and completed the Mun and Minmus Biome Scan contracts. I have not yet put a Biome scanner in Kerbin orbit. How can I troubleshoot this issue? The Alt-F12 debug log nor Contract screen offered any insight.

* CC, Scansat, MM up to date per CKAN

Edited by Tossy64

I have a strangeness with the biome overlay.  (Whether it applies to the other modes or not I don't know.)  When I select the biome overlay the space view always shows the target with the biomes.  Occasionally when I'm in the rocket view it also shows but most of the time it doesn't.  What's up??

Problems with other mods will have to wait until 1.1. I believe they are all known issues, but we'll see when things get updated.

@Loren Pechtel Do you mean the biome planet overlay? The one that gets drawn over the actual planet surface. I'm not really sure what you mean, but the planetary overlays (stock and SCANsat) are always visible in both map view and normal view. It's only once you go below a certain altitude that the actual planet surface fades in and the overlay fades out.

28 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Problems with other mods will have to wait until 1.1. I believe they are all known issues, but we'll see when things get updated.

@Loren Pechtel Do you mean the biome planet overlay? The one that gets drawn over the actual planet surface. I'm not really sure what you mean, but the planetary overlays (stock and SCANsat) are always visible in both map view and normal view. It's only once you go below a certain altitude that the actual planet surface fades in and the overlay fades out.

Aha!  That would explain it.  Whenever I've actually wanted it (locating a specific biome for scientific purposes) I've been close up and it didn't work but on occasion I've seen it otherwise.  (Especially over Kerbin--if the overlays were on as I was coming back.  I always re-enter in normal view.)

On 26/03/2016 at 6:41 AM, Tossy64 said:

I have an issue where, at times, after some contract offer declines, I will get the Scansat "Biome Scan of Kerbin" contract offered for about 1/3 second, then it quickly disappears. I have already been offered and completed the Mun and Minmus Biome Scan contracts. I have not yet put a Biome scanner in Kerbin orbit. How can I troubleshoot this issue? The Alt-F12 debug log nor Contract screen offered any insight.

* CC, Scansat, MM up to date per CKAN

Nightingale literally just fixed this with the latest CC.

33 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@FrancoisH It already is, that goes for Contracts Window + too. If you are referring to old versions, then no, I'm not going to go back and change all of the link references.

Hello again and thanks for the quick replay.

I'm using CKAN in it's latest version? I think. And I'm speaking about your latest 1.0.5 version of your mods as I think there's none yet for the Pre 1.1 ? Or am I wrong there ?

I ment that when I try to install your modules, it go on Kerbalstuff. And it should be the latest version of those !

That's curious, or I'm probably getting something wrong there.*

Thank you anyway for your wonderful add-ons :)

EDIT // Now it works fine, but weren't able 1 hour ago :)

Edited by FrancoisH

SCANsat version 14.9 and Contracts Window + version 6.1 should both point to SpaceDock.

The download link can be seen in CKAN's meta files here.

If they aren't working correctly it could be a problem on CKAN's side.

@Ghosty141 General rule of thumb is if it has a plugin it will need updating by the author, if its parts only it should work BUT this is a big update so parts may need updating as well. I am really glad squad did a pre-release to let the mod authors have the  time to look at the changes and modify as needed. 

Edited by Virtualgenius