[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

5 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Sigma88

Those are the existing values, they define the default min and max terrain heights for each planet (and if you want to set the "clamp" height, like for ocean planets), which SCANsat uses when assigning colors to different terrain heights. The multipliers are used to adjust those values (and the values stored in each save file) when drawing the maps.

So if you want to scale the max terrain height by 2 for each planet, just set the maxHeightMultiplier = 2 in a MM config. Don't do anything to the min and maxHeightRange values. When someone saves the SCANcolors.cfg using the in-game function it always sets those values to 1, so that the MM config doesn't get carried over each time the file is saved (internally the multipliers set by the MM config is preserved when saving the SCANcolors file).

Existing save files will probably be a bit screwed up, but they can be reset in-game pretty easily.

ok, so I now should be able to edit these values properly

just one question, if a cfg is missing one of those multipliers would the default value be loaded as 0 (zero) or 1 ?

also, there used to be some values stored outside SCANsat_Altimetry nodes:

@SCAN_Color_Config
{
	defaultMinHeightRange
	defaultMaxHeightRange
	rangeAboveMaxHeight
	rangeBelowMinHeight
}

are these still there? and how do they affect the game?

thanks again for your help @DMagic

@Sigma88 The default min and max values are the fallbacks for planets that don't have a node in that file. SCANsat attempts to figure out the actual values whenever a new planet is encountered, so they should never actually be used.

The range above and below values are used to set the min and max extent for the terrain height sliders in the SCANsat color management window. So if a planet's max height is 8000m and the range above max is 10000, then the slider will go up to a max of 18000m. You can change these values with MM if you want (though it's less of a problem now that SCANsat generally has reasonable values for any new planets), just don't use multipliers; if you want to increase the range just set it to 20000 instead of 10000, or something along those lines.

44 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Sigma88 The default min and max values are the fallbacks for planets that don't have a node in that file. SCANsat attempts to figure out the actual values whenever a new planet is encountered, so they should never actually be used.

The range above and below values are used to set the min and max extent for the terrain height sliders in the SCANsat color management window. So if a planet's max height is 8000m and the range above max is 10000, then the slider will go up to a max of 18000m. You can change these values with MM if you want (though it's less of a problem now that SCANsat generally has reasonable values for any new planets), just don't use multipliers; if you want to increase the range just set it to 20000 instead of 10000, or something along those lines.

my problem is that I cannot choose an absolute number, because SD could in theory be used to resize the planet 0.01x or 1000x

so if kerbin has 8000 max altitude 0.01x would be 80 and 1000x would be 8000000 :D

which means I need to multiply everything by the resize parameter in order to get the ranges to match with the actual size of the planet

If I understand what you say properly, I think I can rescale those parameters using my "Resize" and "landscape" parameters that are those who change the actual altitude of mountains and stuff on planets

If you get bug reports from people with SD feel free to redirect them to me, I don't want my mod to cause you troubles :wink:

@Sigma88 There is no need to scale the default and range above/below numbers. The only thing that is likely to need to be scaled is the min and max height, the new multipliers were introduced specifically to avoid directly altering those. All that needs to be changed in an MM config are those multipliers.

7 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Sigma88 There is no need to scale the default and range above/below numbers. The only thing that is likely to need to be scaled is the min and max height, the new multipliers were introduced specifically to avoid directly altering those. All that needs to be changed in an MM config are those multipliers.

ok perfect, so I will only change those and leave the default numbers alone :)

thanks again

SCANsat version 16.3 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It is updated for MechJeb 2.5.8 and adds support for several KSP Interstellar Extended resources (a minor KSPI update will be required for full compatibility).

It also removed the unused resources Thorium and He-3.

I've been trying to understand this mod for hours now but I really can't get the hang of it. Can someone explain how I can get ore, biome, terrain data on the scansat maps and what do I use to scan for ore. I don't want the ore scan to be instant but I don't know how to do it.

6 minutes ago, lorax284 said:

I've been trying to understand this mod for hours now but I really can't get the hang of it. Can someone explain how I can get ore, biome, terrain data on the scansat maps and what do I use to scan for ore. I don't want the ore scan to be instant but I don't know how to do it.

Put a satellite into polar orbit with a scanning part on it, turn it on and then watch the map as it fills in with data as the satellite orbits..   It is a quite awesome system actually.  the scanning parts will give you info in the VAB about what altitude to orbit 

2 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Put a satellite into polar orbit with a scanning part on it, turn it on and then watch the map as it fills in with data as the satellite orbits..   It is a quite awesome system actually.  the scanning parts will give you info in the VAB about what altitude to orbit 

Yes, but how do I scan for ore. I tried with a bunch of different settings with the M700 survey scanner, but it instantly scans the whole of Kerbin, and doesn't even show that data in the ScanSat map.

11 minutes ago, lorax284 said:

Yes, but how do I scan for ore. I tried with a bunch of different settings with the M700 survey scanner, but it instantly scans the whole of Kerbin, and doesn't even show that data in the ScanSat map.

I'm pretty sure the M700 is a stock part, not a SCANsat scanner, so it doesn't put anything into the scansat maps.   In the VAB, right click the part on the part list and it gives you a list of the modules it has, does anything say scansat.   Sorry I'm not more help, not in front of my game right now. .

1 minute ago, eberkain said:

I'm pretty sure the M700 is a stock part, not a SCANsat scanner, so it doesn't put anything into the scansat maps.   In the VAB, right click the part on the part list and it gives you a list of the modules it has, does anything say scansat.   Sorry I'm not more help, not in front of my game right now. .

What part scans ore then?

14 minutes ago, lorax284 said:

Because the M700 is stock, not a ScanSat part.

Check out the SCANsat wiki. It is one of the most thorough Github wikis I have ever seen, and should be able to answer any questions. In addition, SCANsat has really good KSPedia entries in game. Also in game, most SCANsat windows have a "?" at the top right corner. Clicking on that then clicking on any other part of the window will give you some of the answers for which you are looking.

https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/wiki

Basically, you are going to want to go into the SCANsat settings window, and at a minimum de-select "instant resource scan". Even better would be to select "disable stock resource scan").

As for seeing resources in a SCANsat window, the large SCANsat map has a "resources" tab in the upper right. From there, you can pick whichever resource you want. Make sure you have the show resources icon checked in the lower left (I seem to recall it looking like a pickaxe and shovel or something like that).

The M700 (and the narrow-band scanner) are still the parts you will want to use to scan for ore. SCANsat will work with them, but it will be more noticeable if you disable stock resource scanning. Keep in mind that by default, the M700 only gives a very rough idea of where resources are (it rounds the resource abundance to the nearest full percent across each biome). More accurate scanners (for ore, that would be the narrow band, and then the surface scanning module) are needed for more accurate data.  

Hi guys, 
@DMagic this mod is brilliant. Thanks so much for all your work in maintaining it. It enriches KSP so much and adds a level of realism and immersion. Well done. 

I'm preparing for the Elcano challenge (circumnav of Kerbin). I would like to log the path on a map. I heard that the BTDT can plot the path of a rover on the map, eg a simple line on the map showing where the vehicle has been. Is this the case? I've been trying to find out how to do it  with no luck. If it does indeed do this, could you help me with the settings/process? 

Thanks and regards.

@Maverick_aus The BTDT is only used for scanning anomalies up close. The Multi Spectral Scanner can identify their position from orbit, and the BTDT can give you more info about them, see the KSPedia entry for an example.

I don't know of anything that keeps track of your path on a map. It sounds like an interesting idea, though it might be complicated to actually implement.

Waypoint Manager mod might help you for such purpose. Although, it does not track data automaticly, you need to put info about each position for yourself, pretty much in same way as you would if you place flag on the ground on each spot.

Only difference is that waypoint created in such way is not prone to kraken forces as much as flag is.

4 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Maverick_aus The BTDT is only used for scanning anomalies up close. The Multi Spectral Scanner can identify their position from orbit, and the BTDT can give you more info about them, see the KSPedia entry for an example.

I don't know of anything that keeps track of your path on a map. It sounds like an interesting idea, though it might be complicated to actually implement.

@DMagic thanks for the reply.
Ok - so that confirms that the route plotting is not actually an intended working function built in. I'll look into other avenues. 

EDIT: Update: further discussion with @IvanSanchez and other Elcano guys reveals the discussed map plotting is the BTDT doing this: 

2 hours ago, kcs123 said:

Waypoint Manager mod might help you for such purpose. Although, it does not track data automaticly, you need to put info about each position for yourself, pretty much in same way as you would if you place flag on the ground on each spot.

Only difference is that waypoint created in such way is not prone to kraken forces as much as flag is.

Thanks @kcs123. I'll look into it. 

Edited by Maverick_aus

It seems like for RSS Phobos and Deimos are too tiny, and there is no ideal altitude for SCANsat scanners - anything is too low.

Conversely for gas giants any altitude above atmosphere is too high for scanners.

Edit: SCANsat Radar Altimetry has ideal altitude in Titans atmosphere around 500 km, while atmosphere ends at 600 km

Edited by raxo2222

What is difference between Multispectral sensor and multispectral imaging platform from orbital science addon ?

Seems that both do exactly same thing, high resolution altitude scan, biome scan and anomaly detection.
Except of different cost, mass and power drain. I tried to search for info, but could not find much about it.

I am using SCANsat with SSRSS and everything was working fine until I tried to do a resource scan of Deimos with the M700 Survey Scanner. I am getting the message "You must be in a stable polar orbit between 25km and 3km to perform an orbital survey" which makes no sense with the larger number being first. I tried anyway and have been unable to find any polar orbit between the surface and escape that will match whatever constraints are needed to do the scan and am at a loss for how to complete it. I looked through all the cfg's I could find related to orbital scanning in my install but can't find anything sticking out that would cause this and could use some help in figuring it out. Thanks in advance to anyone that responds.

Edited by Sᴄɪɴᴛɪʟʟᴀᴛ�ʀ