[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

On 11/22/2017 at 11:14 AM, DMagic said:

SCANsat version 18.2 is out; get it on Space Dock.

This version completely overhauls the included contracts (Contract Configurator is still required for all contracts). They are now organized based on difficulty:

• One star contracts are generated for home-system bodies only and ask for one scan each
  • Two star contracts are generated for non-home-system bodies and ask for a group of scans
    • Low resolution altimetry, biome, and M700 resource scan (this can still be completed if you are using stock resource scanning, it just might not update right away)
    • Generated for bodies that you have already orbited
    • Must not have already completed all of the scans
  • Three star contracts are generated for non-home-system bodies and ask for a different group of scans
    • High resolution altimetry, and Narrow band ore scans (also should work fine with stock scanning, just scan once with the M700 and it will cover all resource types)
    • Generated for bodies you have orbited or that KSP determines are "next" on the list of planets

Good choice on the contract groupings.  With CTT, I tend to unlock RADAR, Multi-Spec and M700 Resource Scanner all around the same time and put all three on the first scanSAT probe.  With SAR/NBS coming at a later point (I need to remember to put SAR and NBS on the second probe now).

And the contracts seem to work properly for OPM (or at least, they have the possibility of being generated).

• 3 weeks later...

@TaintedLion There used to be some ideal orbit calculators around, but they were only setup for the stock planets and I think are out of date because of some changes to the stock planet orbits, so you would have to figure out how to calculate them yourself. But really, it's usually not very hard to get into a reasonable orbit, there are some basic instructions on the wiki and the KSPedia entry. The only real problem is planets or moons that rotate very slowly, but there isn't much you can do about that, they just take a long time to scan.

Hmm.  I wonder, on slow-rotation bodies it might be better to do one orbit on a 90º inclination, and then lower the inclination to something like 80º.  (Or whatever will just touch the area in the polar scan.)  That way you wouldn't be dependent on the body rotating under you as much.

@DStaal That would help fill in those gaps at the pole quickly. What I really need to do is change the scanning coverage calculations so that they measure actual surface area scanned, rather than a percentage of a rectangular map. The way it's currently setup gives way too much weight to the high latitudes. Changing that would lessen the need to worry about those gaps in the first place.

I usually just start at an inclination of 90 degrees, then set a KAC alarm for about 30-60 days later.  Come back and see if I have missing stripes.  Change either the inclination and/or orbital period, then come back 30-60 days later again.  Rinse-repeat until I have full coverage.

BTW, I love how fast the big map is now.  It used to take a minute or so to draw in and now it's redraw time is measured in seconds.

So the SCANsat toolbar icon isn't showing up for me, and neither is the settings section for it. All the parts still appear and there's options to enable/disable scanning, but I can't open the maps or use the mod in any way.

Log download, all help is appreciated!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kqhg7i3vypqfop/KSP.log?dl=0

@Laythe Dweller You seem to have two copies of the SCANsat plugins installed:

[LOG 10:02:17.917] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/SCANsat
[LOG 10:02:17.917] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\SCANsat.dll
[LOG 10:02:17.919] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'SCANsat' V1.8
[LOG 10:02:17.920] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/SCANsat.Unity
[LOG 10:02:17.920] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\SCANsat.Unity.dll
[LOG 10:02:17.922] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/Plugins/SCANmechjeb
[LOG 10:02:17.923] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANmechjeb.dll
[LOG 10:02:17.938] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'SCANmechjeb' V0.5
[LOG 10:02:17.939] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssemblyDependency 'SCANsat' V1.8
[LOG 10:02:17.939] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssemblyDependency 'MechJeb2' V2.5
[LOG 10:02:17.940] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/Plugins/SCANsat
[LOG 10:02:17.940] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANsat.dll
[LOG 10:02:17.943] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'SCANsat' V1.8
[LOG 10:02:17.943] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/Plugins/SCANsat.Unity
[LOG 10:02:17.944] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANsat.Unity.dll

I would start with deleting and reinstalling SCANsat from scratch. Otherwise, if the toolbar doesn't show up it's generally because it got turned off in the main settings window. If the Toolbar mod isn't installed then the only way to open the windows is by starting a scan from a scanning part. Or you could open the settings file in the SCANsat/PluginData folder and change the toolbar setting value to true.

3 hours ago, DMagic said:

@Laythe Dweller You seem to have two copies of the SCANsat plugins installed:

[LOG 10:02:17.917] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/SCANsat
[LOG 10:02:17.917] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\SCANsat.dll
[LOG 10:02:17.919] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'SCANsat' V1.8
[LOG 10:02:17.920] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/SCANsat.Unity
[LOG 10:02:17.920] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\SCANsat.Unity.dll
[LOG 10:02:17.922] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/Plugins/SCANmechjeb
[LOG 10:02:17.923] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANmechjeb.dll
[LOG 10:02:17.938] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'SCANmechjeb' V0.5
[LOG 10:02:17.939] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssemblyDependency 'SCANsat' V1.8
[LOG 10:02:17.939] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssemblyDependency 'MechJeb2' V2.5
[LOG 10:02:17.940] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/Plugins/SCANsat
[LOG 10:02:17.940] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANsat.dll
[LOG 10:02:17.943] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'SCANsat' V1.8
[LOG 10:02:17.943] Load(Assembly): SCANsat/Plugins/SCANsat.Unity
[LOG 10:02:17.944] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at D:\Kerbal Space Program\Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1\GameData\SCANsat\Plugins\SCANsat.Unity.dll

I would start with deleting and reinstalling SCANsat from scratch. Otherwise, if the toolbar doesn't show up it's generally because it got turned off in the main settings window. If the Toolbar mod isn't installed then the only way to open the windows is by starting a scan from a scanning part. Or you could open the settings file in the SCANsat/PluginData folder and change the toolbar setting value to true.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling, and the issue persists. I already checked the settings file and the toolbar is set to true, and there's no option in the right-click menu of the scanning parts to open a window. I tried installing Toolbar and there isn't a SCANsat option there either.

@Windspren Does it still have two copies of the plugin files? Where did you download SCANsat from?

In any case your log file is filled with errors so it's hard to isolate any one problem. SCANsat is failing to load its UI (I can see no reason why, other than that it's trying to do so twice, since it's failing at a point where SCANsat is looking through some of the stock KSP UI for a few components), so it prevents basically anything from working. If having two copies of the plugin files isn't the problem, then something else is breaking KSP.

2 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Windspren Does it still have two copies of the plugin files? Where did you download SCANsat from?

In any case your log file is filled with errors so it's hard to isolate any one problem. SCANsat is failing to load its UI (I can see no reason why, other than that it's trying to do so twice, since it's failing at a point where SCANsat is looking through some of the stock KSP UI for a few components), so it prevents basically anything from working. If having two copies of the plugin files isn't the problem, then something else is breaking KSP.

I had copied the contents of the SCANsat folder directly to Gamedata earlier to see if that would fix things. It didn't, so I deleted it and tried again. I've tried reinstalling SCANsat multiple times, and nothing's working. 

2 hours ago, Windspren said:

Do you have any other suggestions? I've tried a completely new download of KSP and SCANsat alone, and it's still not working.

If you've done a clean install with only SCANSat and the problem continues after removing all the other possible sources of interference, I would suggest posting a new link to your latest output_log file that demonstrates the problem.

@DMagic, I don't know if you are aware or not, but it looks like there's something bugged in your day/night terminator.  I'm working on a mod that has a tidally locked planet that keeps one hemisphere always facing the sun.  Other than small movements due to libration, the day/night terminator shouldn't change.  However, during the course of a year the terminator displayed by SCANsat moves one time across the entire planet.  It's not showing the actual illuminated face of the planet.

11 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@OhioBob Does this system have more than one star? I can't think of any other reason why it wouldn't work, as it just tracks the latitude and longitude above which the sun is centered for a planet.

Yes, it is a binary system.  The planet I'm referring to orbits the secondary star.  I think you're definitely on to something here.  If the day/night terminator is based on the light of the primary star, then the result would likely be what I'm seeing.  I haven't verified the light direction but I can if you need me to.  The terminator for all the other planets is probably doing the same thing; it was just particularly obvious for this planet because it's tidally locked.

I ran into a similar problem with PlanetShine.  It also assumes the lighted hemisphere is the one facing the primary star.

8 hours ago, OhioBob said:

It sounds like I should probably bring this up then as a Kopernicus issue.  I know Kopernicus has done a lot recently with the solar panel code for multiple star systems.  Hopefully this is something fixable too.

The Kopernicus fix that addressed the solar panel tracking seemed somewhat incomplete.

In GPP, the panels now track the brightest source at any given point (Ciro in almost all cases), but the "Status" field on the panels still reflect the status as if Grannus was the source. I see panels that completely face Ciro on a direct line of sight and generate the correct amount of EC, but the status will say it's blocked by a vessel part behind it because Grannus is in that direction. So, i can believe there may be some issues remaining.

Is there a way to have the maps immediately tell me the exact coordinates and height of the highest & lowest points of a planet? I have no desire whatsoever to manually compare the multitude of peaks/ridges found on every body especially given their resolutions. Thanks.

@Jodo42 Nope, there is nothing SCANsat does to record where the highest/lowest points are. For stock planets you can look them up, but for non-stock planets there isn't much you can do. The big map legend will tell you what the highest and lowest points are, to the nearest 500m, I think, but finding where those points are is another matter.

• 1 month later...

@DMagic I can't seem to get a fully accurate resource scan for all resources with anything other than the stock orbital survey. Any combination of options that requires SCANsat scanning methods results in a FuzzyResource type of scan, despite options like Resource Biome Lock and Require Narrow Band scanner seeming to imply that you should be able to turn them off and get full detail scans. One set of options that I feel like should work are: 

- Resource Biome Lock: unchecked

- Require Narrow Band Scanner: unchecked

- Disable Stock Scanning: checked

- Stock Scan Threshold: unchecked

I feel like these settings should allow me to scan with an M700 and get a full detail scan. Am I misunderstanding?

I'm also seeing that the Metal Ore and Geo Energy maps are not working in the big map. They work in the SCANsat planetary overlay and in the small map, just not in the big map for some reason.

@drhay53 Did you check the SCANsat KSPedia entry on resource scanning, or the GitHub wiki?

The stock resource scan is not "fully accurate" by any means, the planetary map overlay is basically the same as what you would get by using the M700 with SCANsat resource scanning. If you want to just scan the planet once and get all of the information turn off the biome lock, turn off the narrow band scanner requirement, enable stock resource scanning, and enable the instant scan. Then you can do the stock M700 scan and all SCANsat maps will update with all resource information at full accuracy, though visually, the zoom map shows the most accurate resource overlay, everything else uses higher levels of interpolation to some degree (which can be adjusted in the settings menu).

@Garlik SCANsat doesn't do anything with KerbNet.