[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

8 hours ago, brusura said:

Dunno your games...but my game start to run very poorly if I have so many mission running, KSP is a universe but not very scalable

I don't think anybody suggests you try all those at once! But in successive games, why not?

(OK, maybe somebody has tried all that at once, but keeping tabs of all that would be a challenge in itself.)

6 hours ago, softweir said:

I don't think anybody suggests you try all those at once! But in successive games, why not?

(OK, maybe somebody has tried all that at once, but keeping tabs of all that would be a challenge in itself.)

Not even trying to run them all at once, dunno why you suggest that ...anyway your statement reinforce mine, so

Hi, been catching up on this forum and looking at the V18 upgrade discussions. Sorry if this is a silly question:

With respect to background processing, after a body has been scanned, is it OK to turn off the toggle for background scanning for that body to save the processing overhead? Will disabling the individual scanners on the orbiting platform essentially be the same thing as turning off the radio button for background for that body?

For example, I use GPP and have scanned about 15 bodies to 80% completion (I don't do BTDT scanning, so it's 100% for me). Once the scanning is completed, I turn off the scanner hardware on the orbiting vessel and leave it there in orbit because I also have a relay attached. But, I still have background scanning enabled for all of those 15 bodies.  Is that a waste of processing?

Thanks

@Gilph Background scanning only looks at vessels, not celestial bodies. So it runs through each vessel with an active SCANsat sensor, then checks if the body it's scanning is disabled.

So disabling the sensors would be technically better than disabling scanning for that body, but the difference is probably negligible. The real overhead for scanning is when it collects and records all of the data for each vessel, which happens once every second. Disabling the body is certainly simpler, but if you have already disabled all of the vessels then it won't make a difference.

The only disadvantage is that background scanning is a bit of a misnomer, it's really all scanning (ie there is no such thing as "active" scanning, it all uses one method). So if you decide to use the BTDT, or do some other scanning to fill in gaps, or search for resources, then you would have to re-enable scanning from the settings menu. The part menu will tell you when scanning for a particular body or for all bodies is disabled, though, so it should be fairly obvious if you try to start scanning again and it doesn't work.

9 hours ago, DMagic said:

So disabling the sensors would be technically better than disabling scanning for that body...

I haven't seen this problem but out of curiosity what do you mean by "...disabling the sensors..."?  Stopping them through the context menu for the sensor (which is what I do once the scan is complete) or something else?

On 2/14/2018 at 7:35 AM, DMagic said:

KSP really seems to struggle when it comes to gameplay elements for anything beyond the basic build-and-fly-vessels part. It all sort of seams like a random collection of things to do, none of which are very interesting or compelling. 

I like to think of KSP like the sandbox game version of the old 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books that i grew up with.  the better your imagination of what you want to do, the better the later game play will be.

On 2/14/2018 at 7:53 PM, softweir said:

Getting 100% science from everywhere is always my goal.

but I do end up splitting it up and focusing on a different planet at a time per game.   I do however send relays/telescopes/scanners everywhere else every time a good transfer window comes around just to keep up realism between the saves.

I've encountered a GUI issue with SCANsat (as well as some other mods where I'm crossposting this). The SCANsat big map doesn't show in Map View and, in Flight View, the box where the map is supposed to be is white (buttons etc. are shown ok). I think it happened after I updated Trajectories, but I'm not really sure. The output log is here.

i have encountered a bug to do with the contracts to scan a body. I got the low resolution for kerbin and mun. I have scanned these for the low resolutions to 100% but now the biome/highres/resources contracts won't show due to the unmet condition of the "coverage below 70%". I have checked this reasoning with minmus, I haven't done any scanning of minmus and can all 4 contacts show.

Thanks

10 hours ago, casper88 said:

i have encountered a bug to do with the contracts to scan a body. I got the low resolution for kerbin and mun. I have scanned these for the low resolutions to 100% but now the biome/highres/resources contracts won't show due to the unmet condition of the "coverage below 70%". I have checked this reasoning with minmus, I haven't done any scanning of minmus and can all 4 contacts show.

Thanks

This sometimes happens to me, I find that it tends to resolve itself by either switching back and forth from the satellite to the tracking screen, or sometimes just saving and reloading.

thanks for the suggestion, i tried it several times but didn't work. after bringing up the contract configurator debug menu (alt+f10) and disabling the coverage requirement then the contracts show up as expected. in my limited opinion it seems like contract configurator is reading the coverage for the wrong scan type - i have tested this by altering the contract config files to limit to specific type

I noticed something else that might be bug or might be harmless. Under SCANsat background settings I got info in brackets for Kerbin, Mun and Minimus that is scaned 80%.

But, all maps are covered to all edges, pretty much sure it is 100% or at least 99%. I'm not sure for M700 stock resource scanner, but it show up resources over poles, resonable amount of time have passed to cover all planet surface too, so while it is nbot possible to tell is it 100% scaned, it is for certain more than 80%.

Do I need to scan with narrow band scanner to get 100% or I'm missing something ? I have started scan 2-3 versions of SCANsat earlier, before new optimization code if that matter.

Greetings fellow kerbonauts!

I'm having some issues with a Scansat contract.  I unlocked the part required for low resolution survey, and the appropriate contracts for the Mun and Minmus have become available.  But the mission for Kerbin itself is locked because the condition for having scanned less than 70% is unmet.  I dont understand how that can be though considering i haven't scanned a single piece of kerbin...

@garwel There are some errors in that log related to a bug in Kopernicus that breaks biome-related functions in many mods. If other aspects of the UI seem ok then that might be the problem. Can you generate non-biome maps?

@casper88 @blitz41 There is a bug in SCANsat currently where some rounding errors make Contract Configurator think that a map has less than 0% scanned. You can fix it for now by either disabling the requirement as mentioned, or edit the SCANsat contract definitions so that all of the "minCoverage" lines read -1, as it is here: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/issues/315

@kcs123 The background scanning tab reads: lo-res altimery, hi-res altimetry, biome, anomaly (which are combined in the Multispectral scanner), and the M700 resource scan. It does not look at the BTDT anomaly scan or any individual resource type scans done using the Narrow Band scanner.

If the stock resource scanning is not disabled, then doing the stock M700 resource scan should fill in all coverage for SCANsat resources (individual resources and the M700 type). If not then you'll need to do M700 scanning with the SCANsat module (ie not instant).

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

If the stock resource scanning is not disabled, then doing the stock M700 resource scan should fill in all coverage for SCANsat resources (individual resources and the M700 type). If not then you'll need to do M700 scanning with the SCANsat module (ie not instant).

I have stock resource scanning disabled and I'm pretty sure that I have covered entire planet with M700 scanner(I can see resorces discovefred over poles and previous/next orbit equally distributed on map). Quite a lot days passed since those were put in orbit.

Multispectral scanner (biome map) and low resolution altitude scan is done too (entire map visible). Only thing might be missing is hi-res altimetry scan (if multispectral scan does not cover that). Is that a reason for only having 80% ? I still have to unlock few more tech nodes with additional scientific parts.

It is either that M700 didn't completed scanning or I still need additional scan with some different part. If I don't need additional scanner then something went wrong in my savegame. Is it possible to check how much M700 have covered ?

@kcs123 Hi res altimetry is a different scanner, the SAR scanner, it's pretty far along in the tech tree. It's what gives you color terrain maps and high detail slope maps.

If you want to check any individual scanner you can do two things. One is to go to a vessel with that scanner, disable all other scanners, then open the main map (the small one) and look at the percentage below the map. The little M700 light should be the only one on and the percentage will reflect the scanning coverage of only the active scanner, the M700 in this case. You can do this with any scanner, even those not counted for the overall total in the background settings tab. 

You could also collect science from the M700 scanner and the amount of data will reflect the amount scanned, though if you have less than ~30% it will give you nothing and more than 98.5% it will give you 100.

Edited by DMagic

5 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Hi res altimetry is a different scanner, the SAR scanner, it's pretty far along in the tech tree. It's what gives you color terrain maps and high detail slope maps

Thanks for clarification, I have yet to unlock SAR scanner, that explains things. M700 no longer provide any science, so I'm probably squeezed out everything from it, it should be time to turn it off and save some CPU time.

I have a problem. I never get a contract to scan Kerbin or Mun

condition "must have scanned less than 70% of target body" never met. I only did a flyby of Mun (no scanning equipment). I have not been to Minmus, so I do get a contract for Minmus.

img:

https://ibb.co/ircdYH

How to fix this?

EDIT:

I see this is a known bug... :)

No fix yet?

Edited by sralica

8 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

Would be nice to have the full maps once reaching a certain %, like the resources. My high-res terrain reads 100%, but there are still some small lines that don't get filled :/

You just need to tweak your orbit a bit to fill them. Usually a small inclination change should do the trick over time.