[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

I'm sorry, may be stupid question

but really can't find information about my problem

i try scan Karbonite at Kerbin. Open big map, select karbonite, and i see 100% of karbonite everywhere

http://i.imgur.com/zdOTMrV.jpg

That's beacuse in the latest version, regolith (karbonite's resource API) requires ground truthing. You need to land a ship with the Portable Karbonite Sample Kit and test the surface. Or you can turn the regolith biome lock off in the settings page for scansat.

That's beacuse in the latest version, regolith (karbonite's resource API) requires ground truthing. You need to land a ship with the Portable Karbonite Sample Kit and test the surface. Or you can turn the regolith biome lock off in the settings page for scansat.

It still shouldn't say 100% though. It is supposed to say the minimum value, so for kerbin 1%(ish).

I ran into an odd problem the other day that I think is SCANsat related. I was using an ALCOR capsule in IVA, with SCANsat up on one of its RPM MFDs (using RasterPropMonitor-dev19), orbiting Jool and getting the lovely map of static. I was on a transfer orbit to Bop, and the instant I entered its SoI (I had already fully scanned it with the three included antenna on an earlier probe) KSP froze--or so I thought initially. Its frame rate had actually dropped to about 1/15 (that's 1 frame every 15 seconds). At first I thought this was just related to changing SoIs while in IVA, but it happens even if I only enter IVA after changing SoIs.

What's odd is IVA worked perfectly as long as I removed SCANsat's map from all of the MFDs, and SCANsat would still work perfectly if I used it in its normal windowed mode. So, I'm assuming this is some problem related to interaction between SCANsat and RPM or ALCOR, or all three. But, where do I start debugging such a problem? Nothing shows up in the log and attempting to do anything in KSP at such an insanely slow framerate is nearly impossible.

That's odd. Does this happen during every SOI transition? Have you been to Bop before in this save file while SCANsat was installed (with or without SCANsat parts)? Does it work properly if you save and reload, or go to another vessel?

I'll look into this more when I get a chance.

Since this is the case, is it possible to modify the code to reference Kerbin's radius (whatever that may be after mods have altered it) instead of a fixed 600,000m?

Yes; and that entire section should probably be looked over, too.

i try scan Karbonite at Kerbin. Open big map, select karbonite, and i see 100% of karbonite everywhere

Update Regolith.

Update Regolith.

Thank you so much! it works!

now i see 1% if "Regolith Biome Lock" turned on

and 0.XX% if "Regolith Biome Lock" turned off

i use little rover close at KSC, with drill. must be 0.91% of karbonite, but drill can't find something. I push "Start" and it stop with "nothing to harvest"

i try use "Portable karbonite sample kit", push button and i can't understand what's happened after that...? No button anymore, no visible changes on Big map...

http://imgur.com/m3Em0Q7

http://imgur.com/TU6B1ma

http://imgur.com/INBYzYv

i try read manual at https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat

but i can't find information about "sample kit" and i can't understood what's happend when i turn on or turn off "Regolith Biome Lock"(( Can somebody help me, explain how it works og link to newest manual?

Thank you!

Edited by tigris

Thank you so much! it works!

now i see 1% if "Regolith Biome Lock" turned on

and 0.XX% if "Regolith Biome Lock" turned off

i use little rover close at KSC, with drill. must be 0.91% of karbonite, but drill can't find something. I push "Start" and it stop with "nothing to harvest"

i try use "Portable karbonite sample kit", push button and i can't understand what's happened after that...? No button anymore, no visible changes on Big map...

http://imgur.com/m3Em0Q7

http://imgur.com/TU6B1ma

http://imgur.com/INBYzYv

i try read manual at https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat

but i can't find information about "sample kit" and i can't understood what's happend when i turn on or turn off "Regolith Biome Lock"(( Can somebody help me, explain how it works og link to newest manual?

Thank you!

With biome lock on: If you have not sampled in any biome you will only see the minimum concentration on the planet (to the nearest percent), for the whole planet. Once you sample a biome you will see the full concentration data for that biome and you will see average concentrations for all the other biomes. Each biome you sample after will give full concentration data for those biomes.

The concentrations of Karbonite on Kerbin are intentionally too low for the small drill to work.

If you have biome lock off you will see nothing from using the sample kit.

You can't find this info in the Scansat manual because this is a Karbonite feature.

I've two things to note here, DMagic... sorry to add to your plate. :blush:

First is an issue I had with a stuck Kerbal, which I discussed with Claw because it regarded his StockBugFixModules.v0.1.7d (DLLs: AnchoredDecouplerFix, EVAEjectionFix, KerbalDebrisFix). In the process, I discovered some NRE's which caused the game to crash which I think were related to LazorSystem_v35. The link is below if you have time to pop in and take a look, I've posted data from the logs.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/112493-Unresponsive-Kerbal-after-rover-crash

Second is an issue I'm dealing with right now, using LazorSystem_v35. In a nutshell: I have a station orbiting Minmus (M-Two), and had just finished processing science from a docked lander (Mun-Lander-5), and took off in the lander back down to the surface to go do science at the northern pole. The first thing I noticed, after decoupling from the station and putting the lander into a polar orbit, was that neither my lander nor station showed on the big map... the lander was the selected ship, BTDT was active... however, the orbit showed (polar map, link below).

%28http://i.imgur.com/VPxx2aA.png%29"]http://[imgur](http://i.imgur.com/VPxx2aA.png)

Here is the map view of the orbit and planned maneuver for the lander.

http://i.imgur.com/fnW61Wh.png

At a loss for why my lander wasn't showing up, I switched back to the station and set a biomes view in the big map. The station then showed on the big map with orbit, and the lander then also showed in the mini-map (because BTDT was active).

http://i.imgur.com/urMVC1G.png

I then switched back to the lander again. This time, the lander showed on the big map along with the orbit and planned maneuver.

http://i.imgur.com/HpPWLuv.png

Third and final note, is that on occasion I'll arrive at a body to find the large map shows Kerbin. This usually happens when I resume/come back into my saved game. I think others have mentioned that in here previously however, with better details.

First is an issue I had with a stuck Kerbal, which I discussed with Claw because it regarded his StockBugFixModules.v0.1.7d

I don't see anything related to SCANsat there.

The first thing I noticed, after decoupling from the station and putting the lander into a polar orbit, was that neither my lander nor station showed on the big map...

This is probably all related to a bug with how SCANsat registers scanning vessels and what happens when they undock/decouple; it's already an issue.

Third and final note, is that on occasion I'll arrive at a body to find the large map shows Kerbin. This usually happens when I resume/come back into my saved game. I think others have mentioned that in here previously however, with better details.

I've gone back and forth about how to handle this; the big map is a static object, it won't get unloaded between scene changes so it will just continue showing the last map that you looked at. It should show your current planet the first time you open it, but otherwise it will remain on the last planet it was showing. I might change this so that it always reverts to your current planet upon loading and/or switches along with any SOI changes.

I don't know if this has been asked before, tried searching (maybe not enough?) and couldn't really find much. I was wondering if there is a way to increase the resolution of the exported map, or would that just make the game slower?. The one I have of the Mun is 1440x720.

Oh, also is there (current or planned) a way to get true color scans of planets? Not a big deal just wondering. :)

EDIT:

To add, I'm using the exported png as a texture for a Mun I'm working on for a scene in Blender, which is why a higher res map image would be helpful. I could download one but I'd rather use one I "scanned" my self.

Also, thanks to the KSPBlender addon I can now import craft files to Blender and make some neat scenes. Now if only I could figure out the lighting to make look more realistic...lol.

Edited by Sma

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to zoom in further with the big map? If I right click I get a very small popup window that does not seem to be zoomed in very far at all. There does not seem to be any way to increase the zoom level. It would be a big plus if the zoom window itself was able to be resized.

Is there a way to zoom in further with the big map? If I right click I get a very small popup window that does not seem to be zoomed in very far at all. There does not seem to be any way to increase the zoom level. It would be a big plus if the zoom window itself was able to be resized.

You have to click again in the zoom box.

I don't know if this has been asked before, tried searching (maybe not enough?) and couldn't really find much. I was wondering if there is a way to increase the resolution of the exported map, or would that just make the game slower?. The one I have of the Mun is 1440x720.

You can re-size the big map in the flight scene.

Oh, also is there (current or planned) a way to get true color scans of planets? Not a big deal just wondering. :)

Nope. If you want high resolution true color maps you can try KerbalMaps.

I have a slight issue. Playing Science mode, the parts are not appearing in their respective nodes. They appear just fine in sandbox. Advice?

Need more info.

Not sure what more you need, KSP Version .90, Scansat Version 10, lnux Ubunto 14.04, using the KSPI tech tree for Community Tech Tree IAW The KSPI Extended thread.

I don't know what the KSPI tech tree is, but if you are using the Community Tech Tree you have to select that in the list of available tech trees, otherwise the SCANsat parts might not show up, as they are in different nodes when using CTT.

I don't know what the KSPI tech tree is, but if you are using the Community Tech Tree you have to select that in the list of available tech trees, otherwise the SCANsat parts might not show up, as they are in different nodes when using CTT.

Ah, thank you. From my understanding the KSPI Tech Tree is the same as the stock tech tree, it just adds nodes beyond the end of the Stock tech tree, though if CTT changes the SCANSAT nodes, that would be causing the disparity.

Ah, thank you. From my understanding the KSPI Tech Tree is the same as the stock tech tree, it just adds nodes beyond the end of the Stock tech tree, though if CTT changes the SCANSAT nodes, that would be causing the disparity.

CTT is also a strict superset of the stock tree. It doesn't remove any of the stock nodes, but it adds some additional nodes that SCANsat uses if CTT is installed. Unfortunately, ModuleManager can detect only whether it's installed. MM can't read your mind to tell whether you're planning to load a save with CTT active, so if you have CTT installed you need to be in the habit of using it. Fortunately, I seem to recall KSPI Extended being CTT-friendly.

Perhaps the stock tree loading that's been announced for 1.0 will make the tech-tree-modding situation a little more sane in that regard.

Hello to all.

I have been away from this mod for quite awhile. It is looking great...

When this first became available, there was talk, actually a request by me, to allow for the output / dump of the 'raw' data into some simple text format.

Was this ever done? And if not, would this be a possibility???

Now that I am back and spending more time with KSP, I would certainly enjoy and be appreciative if it was possible to dump the data that has been acquired to date for the particular sensor(s) that are on a particular craft.

I have generated the .png files, but would much prefer to be able to get the data in a more 'raw' format, and at the acquired resolution. Using the png's the resolution changes based on how large you have made the 'big' map.

again, this mod is looking and doing great... very much appreciated...

And, if I can get to the raw data, that would be even better.... At least for me...

thanks again, and cheers.

Hi all, I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in the Karbonite thread, or in the regolith thread, but I'll start here.

After scanning Kerbin from a 500 km orbit with a Karbonite scanner and enabling the resource overlay on the big map, I cant get any color to differentiate the resource deposits on the big map. When I select the various resources (karbonite, minerals, ores, water, etc) i get "percentages" where my cursor is hovering but no color change for anything except different biomes. Which is to say the map looks no different in biomes with or without the resource overlay active. I guess i was expecting different colours to represent varying concentrations of resources, but there are no resource deposits being depicted. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing another mod or dll? Just using this version of scansat, karbonite, mks and mechjeb. I feel like Im missing a .dll or something to have resources not showing on the map at all.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

MB

Hi all, I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in the Karbonite thread, or in the regolith thread, but I'll start here.

After scanning Kerbin from a 500 km orbit with a Karbonite scanner and enabling the resource overlay on the big map, I cant get any color to differentiate the resource deposits on the big map. When I select the various resources (karbonite, minerals, ores, water, etc) i get "percentages" where my cursor is hovering but no color change for anything except different biomes. Which is to say the map looks no different in biomes with or without the resource overlay active. I guess i was expecting different colours to represent varying concentrations of resources, but there are no resource deposits being depicted. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing another mod or dll? Just using this version of scansat, karbonite, mks and mechjeb. I feel like Im missing a .dll or something to have resources not showing on the map at all.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

MB

All of kerbin's resources are there for testing only. The resource concentrations are uniform across the surface and low enough that the colors don't show up. Try it again on the Mun and you will likely see the different colors.

Hello to all.

I have been away from this mod for quite awhile. It is looking great...

When this first became available, there was talk, actually a request by me, to allow for the output / dump of the 'raw' data into some simple text format.

Was this ever done? And if not, would this be a possibility???

Now that I am back and spending more time with KSP, I would certainly enjoy and be appreciative if it was possible to dump the data that has been acquired to date for the particular sensor(s) that are on a particular craft.

I have generated the .png files, but would much prefer to be able to get the data in a more 'raw' format, and at the acquired resolution. Using the png's the resolution changes based on how large you have made the 'big' map.

again, this mod is looking and doing great... very much appreciated...

And, if I can get to the raw data, that would be even better.... At least for me...

thanks again, and cheers.

What do you mean by raw data? Something like a data file with terrain heights for each location? This is the only type of raw data that SCANsat uses. The size of such a data set would be dependent on the size of the big map, you can make it as big as you want; each pixel corresponds to a lat/long position with the height at that location calculated.

The only other thing that I might consider as raw data is the scanning coverage map. This is the 360*180 integer array used to determine which areas of the planet have been scanned by which scanner. It is already output as a text file within the persistent file, it is compressed, but decompressing it is a simple matter, the algorithm is included in SCANsat. I suppose it would be possible to output this data to a separate, uncompressed file.

re: the zoom box:...

You have to right-click within the zoom box.

All of kerbin's resources are there for testing only. The resource concentrations are uniform across the surface and low enough that the colors don't show up. Try it again on the Mun and you will likely see the different colors.

Brilliant! Thank you for your response, that explains it perfectly.

Would it be possible to add some way other than just resizing the big map window in the flight screen to increase the output resolution of the png. I am trying to use the mod to get custom heightmaps of a resized kerbin and I want to get 4k resolution maps. I dont have a 4k monitor, and it is hard to resize the window; wait for it to render; then output it, so I can find the resolution since it is larger than the monitor. I would greatly appreciate this, and I know this is a request others probably wont need and may be asking a lot so please feel free to say no. Either way thanks for the great mod!