[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

This might be a shot in the dark, but..

I've been trying to build a new modlist for myself, and SCANsat seems to not play very nicely with others. I've isolated it to be the culprit of a weird bug where the text won't appear, nor the Esc menu, while launching a rocket. If anyone has experienced this and knows a workaround, lemme know! I have no idea which mod it's conflicting with, and I don't want to go back and forth figuring out which one conflicts with SCANsat. I have a hunch it's SETI or deadly re-entry. Who knows! Anyways, thought I'd leave this open-ended here :)

I've found a major issue with SCANsat. I was using it with resource overlay and I right clicked on the map which caused all of the buttons to squish together in the upper right corner rendering the map completely unusable. I can't figure out how to fix it.
This might be a shot in the dark, but..

I've been trying to build a new modlist for myself, and SCANsat seems to not play very nicely with others. I've isolated it to be the culprit of a weird bug where the text won't appear, nor the Esc menu, while launching a rocket. If anyone has experienced this and knows a workaround, lemme know! I have no idea which mod it's conflicting with, and I don't want to go back and forth figuring out which one conflicts with SCANsat. I have a hunch it's SETI or deadly re-entry. Who knows! Anyways, thought I'd leave this open-ended here :)

As you can see in the pick even though the altitude reads ideal the small map shows orange for all scanners. I can't get any scanners to work now. I've tried placing a new satellite in orbit around kerbin and got the same problem. I've also tried resting the map but still the scanners won't work. I also tried deleting scansat and re-installing. This all happened when I was adjusting of the altitude of the satellite in the pic while the it was scanning. I've got no idea how I can fix this :(

I need log files for these.

After a bit of messing around I've come up with the beginnings of a much improved zoom map.

8VqrGqd.png

It is independent of the big map, can be moved, zoomed in, out, or re-centered (with right-click, left-click, and middle-click, respectively), just pretend those flag icons are zoom in/out icons. It displays the current coordinates of the center and the zoom level. It also gives an info readout when you mouse over the map (I might make this slightly simplified for space reasons). The orbit and anomaly overlays can be turned on/off independently of how they are set in the big map (this might not actually be useful :confused:). Theoretically it can be re-sized, but that currently doesn't work, and I'll probably want to put limits on the min and max size for that. For only working a few hours on it I think it's a pretty good start.

I've also got all of the color, terrain settings, resource settings, etc... loading from a config file. You can set values in the config file, or with the in-game UI to customize settings. This is particularly useful for getting a better idea of resource distribution, as you can quickly find the best color combinations and set the min/max resource values for each planet, and the transparency of the resource layer.

f6h7Llj.png

The UI isn't quite complete, but everything is functioning correctly (mostly :sticktongue:).

I hope to get at least one test version of this out before v1.0 comes along and breaks things.

Could you add an option to use Modifier + right click for the re-centering?

Done.

I've also improved upon the zoom map some more, I fixed re-sizing and made sure everything syncs with the big map (resources, current planet, etc...).

I've also added support for FinePrint waypoints. They show up on the big map and the zoom map, you can toggle them on and off, when you mouse over them they show the site's name (when your cursor is within the max range specified in the FinePrint config file), and they show up in the instruments window (this uses the more accurate range finder to determine when you are in a site), and they work with other addons' waypoints (ie Contract Configurator's anomaly contracts).

The only thing I'm undecided on is how to display these. Should they be displayed all of the time, regardless of whether an area has been scanned? If not, which scanner type should be used to determine whether they are displayed? The same goes for showing this information in the instruments window.

zoOqMM4.png

Bdo1Cs4.png

Since these are contract points I would say at the very most they should only require a low res altimetry scan. I would say always available though. Even if you don't know the lay of the land you still have the location.

I would say always available though. Even if you don't know the lay of the land you still have the location.

That's sort of my thinking. Waypoints are basically coordinates with lots of wrapping, and SCANsat already shows your current vessel's location all of the time (including in the instruments window), so even though the waypoints look a little funny on a blank map it's probably best to show them all of the time; this is only for waypoints of active contracts, offered contracts and waypoints that are already completed don't show up.

My 2 cents worth....

As they are waypoints, someplace that has been scribbled down on the back of a snacks sack, they are only coordinates and should be able to be used no matter what. Even if there has been no scanning done, the theoretical position exists so putting a marker on a blank map is ok... At least by me....

All of your work is looking great. This has come a long way and is a fantastic mod..... Many thanks.

I released a new dev version, you can get it on GitHub. I'm not sure if CKAN can handle separate dev versions like this, I think it does so with MechJeb, but that might require some specific setup, so you'll probably have to manually install this one.

Check out the [thread=96859]dev thread[/thread] for more details. It includes mostly what has been described in the last few posts. The waypoints are set to always show up on the maps and in the instruments window, though they don't appear when you are at the Space Center scene for some technical reasons.

Edited by DMagic
Link to newest version

Sort of a feature request i guess :)How hard would it be to implement a way to add a user generated note or pin to the small or large map view? (or maybe there is already a way and i just totally missed it :P)

Ive always wanted a way to mark a section of a map when im flipping back and forth between resources when looking for an optimal landing site.

Resources have stopped appearing in my scansat maps. I am not sure why.

I have MKS/OKS. regolith, exoplantary launch pads, and a host of other mods (though I think these are the ones involving resources). I am not sure when the problem started, as I used the resource scanners to pick base locations before.

I updated scansat yesterday with no change.

Here is a screeenshow of my scansat maps and optons:

nug60rU.png?1

Any insight as to potential causes and fixes would be appreciated : )

Resources have stopped appearing in my scansat maps. I am not sure why.

I have MKS/OKS. regolith, exoplantary launch pads, and a host of other mods (though I think these are the ones involving resources). I am not sure when the problem started, as I used the resource scanners to pick base locations before.

I updated scansat yesterday with no change.

Here is a screeenshow of my scansat maps and optons:

a>

Any insight as to potential causes and fixes would be appreciated : )

What version is your Regolith? If it isn't up to date, that is most likely the cause.

I need the actual version number of Regolith to be able to help.

It also looks like you've got something screwing up some of SCANsat's icon and toggle textures. I'm not sure what causes that, but I've seen it before, so I'd love to know. I imagine some exclusion config needs to be updated.

Does v10 not have Karbonite support ? Clicking on the Karbonite menu item in the Resources drop-down doesn't do anything. I have the KA-100 module running at a 400km orbit around Minmus.

Does v10 not have Karbonite support ? Clicking on the Karbonite menu item in the Resources drop-down doesn't do anything. I have the KA-100 module running at a 400km orbit around Minmus.

Is it a polar or near-polar orbit? Did you click the start resoure scan button? Did you give the probe enough time to scan the body?

Make sure the big map is set to the body the probe is orbiting. Pics would help a lot.

Is it a polar or near-polar orbit? Did you click the start resoure scan button? Did you give the probe enough time to scan the body?

Make sure the big map is set to the body the probe is orbiting. Pics would help a lot.

I went back to make a screenshot and noticed the pickaxe and shovel checkbox on the left. I did not have this checked. Everything works fine now :)

had a suggestion, scansat has all sort of stuff to scan 'down' at planet/moon surfaces, which is all fun

however nothing to scan 'up', to see rest of the galaxy

now i know theres a couple mods to make hubble type stuff, like cacteye, can even see 'nebulas'

but thats all a point and 1 time use, i'm thinking more scansat style, using the skybox as the 'body' to scan

gain science for the % of galaxy scanned, just as scansat scans planets gives science