[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

@DMagic Yes, I did read the Wiki and the KSPedia (I played with settings for ~3 hours last night before posting, with different scanners and whatnot). What I'm wanting is a way to get all of the information without using the instant scan. I want to scan the planet over time in the SCANsat fashion but have full resource detail without needing any surface scans or a narrow band scanner. Is that not possible?

Edited by drhay53

@drhay53 Nope. If you want full data without instant scan you need a narrow band scanner. The requirements for the surface biome scan and for an active narrow band scanner in orbit can be turned off, but you have to scan the planet at least once with the narrow band to get all of the data. 

@DMagic Ok, thanks! I think my misunderstanding was in the narrow band scanner option.

edit: forgot to ask, is the metal ore / geo energy not showing on the large map issue a bug? Should I report it at the github?

Edited by drhay53

@drhay53 By not working do you mean they don't show up in the resource selection menu? Or they do, but they don't show anything on the map?

If the resources are showing up in the menus, but not on the map then it could be a scanner issue (maybe a MM patch that isn't applying the Metal Ore or Geo Energy scanner type correctly). But if they don't show up in the menu then it could be a resource definition problem. And if they work correctly in one type of map, but not the other then I would need to see log files to say more.

7 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@drhay53 By not working do you mean they don't show up in the resource selection menu? Or they do, but they don't show anything on the map?

If the resources are showing up in the menus, but not on the map then it could be a scanner issue (maybe a MM patch that isn't applying the Metal Ore or Geo Energy scanner type correctly). But if they don't show up in the menu then it could be a resource definition problem. And if they work correctly in one type of map, but not the other then I would need to see log files to say more.

Sorry, I think I described it more fully in my first post.

Geo Energy and Metal Ore show up in the selection pulldown menu of the large map, and the map acts like it updates, but it doesn't draw the new resource.

The two resources work fine in the zoom map and the planetary overlay.

Here's my output_log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/90gda6yhuojeld9/output_log.txt?dl=0

@drhay53 It looks like there is an error related to localization in the big map that prevents some resources from being recognized, the other maps handle it correctly. I'll try to get an update out soon to fix that and a few other issues.

@builderbast If it's a SCANsat map then you can turn it off in the overlay control window, it's the one opened with the little ball half covered in purple button, which can be found on the toolbar, and on the big and small maps. If it's a stock overlay (they look somewhat similar) then you can control it either with the M700 scanner or with the stock overlay control, which can be found on the toolbar when it map view (the KSPedia should have more info on how that works).

SCANsat version 18.3 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It fixes a few bugs related to resource overlays on the big map, and Overdrive compatibility.

It also has complete translations for Portuguese, along with an updated localization folder. All of the localization files are now separated by language and several new localization fields have been added. These include all of the contract text, agency title and name, and part titles. Everything except Portuguese will need translations for these new fields.

It also updates how scanning coverage is calculated. In previous versions coverage was based on a rectangular map; each whole number point of latitude and longitude counting as 1 unit for coverage out of a total of 64800 (360 * 180) units. This version updates the calculation to take latitude into account, so that higher latitudes count for less; each point is now the cosine of the latitude * 1 out of a total of 41248.02 units (add up all of the cos(lat) for -90o to 90o over 360o of longitude). I'm not sure if it's totally accurate, it may be slightly under-counting the polar regions (and the caps, -90o and 90o, count for nothing), but it's certainly more accurate than before and it's simple to calculate, which is important since the scanning coverage calculation is constantly running.

There are four areas where this is noticeable: The main map, which shows the scanning coverage of all active sensors on the current vessel. The background scanning section of the settings window, which includes the scanning coverage of the standard SCANsat sensors and the M700 resource scan. The science results, which are calculated based on scanning coverage. And the contracts, which ask for a specific scanning coverage amount.

These pictures might help illustrate the difference.

In the old version the scanning coverage was calculated so that it matched what the rectangular map shows (that's Geo Energy working correctly now @drhay53, by the way):

VYqaO9P.png

Here scanning goes up to 80o latitude, which leaves 11.1% of the map remaining to be scanned, or 88.9% coverage. With the new system that remaining 10o at the poles only counts for 1.5%, or 98.5% coverage.

The polar projection gives a better idea of how little actually remains (though this I think over-emphasizes the poles and squishes the equatorial regions a bit).

CrZrjZg.png

So now you don't have to worry so much about getting a nearly perfect 90o inclination to get most of the coverage counted for.

I'm getting stuttering and CurrencyConverter log spam in 18.3; reverting to 18.2 seems to have resolved it.  Excerpt is below.

[LOG 02:35:49.436] [CurrencyConverter for Outsourced R&D]: 0 Funds taken, yields 0 Science
[LOG 02:35:49.437] [CurrencyConverter for Outsourced R&D]: 0 Funds taken, yields 0 Science
[LOG 02:35:49.438] [CurrencyConverter for Outsourced R&D]: 0 Funds taken, yields 0 Science
[LOG 02:35:49.438] [CurrencyConverter for Outsourced R&D]: 0 Funds taken, yields 0 Science
[LOG 02:35:49.439] [CurrencyConverter for Outsourced R&D]: 0 Funds taken, yields 0 Science
[LOG 02:35:49.440] [CurrencyConverter for Outsourced R&D]: 0 Funds taken, yields 0 Science
[LOG 02:35:49.440] [CurrencyConverter for Outsourced R&D]: 0 Funds taken, yields 0 Science

Edited by LucidPixels

Hey @DMagic thank you for all the mods.

ScanSat 18.3 is causing microstutters approximately every second in game.  In any location, even just driving a 15ish part rover around KSC causes the stutters.  Its not gpu related, fps is unaffected.  Its definitely CPU, you can see the counter flash yellow very briefly approx once every second..

There is zippo in the logs other than a lot of CurrencyConverter spam...is that part of ScanSat?     Its not related to GC either, I've done a lot of testing for MemGraph (and GrumpyCollector before it), the GCs for me are around 2 minutes with padding.  This is definitely every second and is not correlated at all with GC spikes.

Reinstalling 18.2 and the stutter disappears.  No other changes other than the rollback.  Nothing at all in the logs.  Sorry this isn't more helpful; I didn't save my logs from 18.3.  I can certainly go back and reinstall them if you'd like but there's nothing there (other than CC spam)... I promise :)

Thank you again, let me know if there's anything I can do.

5 hours ago, Tig said:

ScanSat 18.3 is causing microstutters approximately every second in game.  In any location, even just driving a 15ish part rover around KSC causes the stutters.  Its not gpu related, fps is unaffected.  Its definitely CPU, you can see the counter flash yellow very briefly approx once every second..

I can confirm this in my (heavily modded) install as well. Downgrade to 18.2 resolved it. Appears to be excessive garbage generated per frame.

EDIT: though from the changes between 18.2 and 18.3 I cannot spot anything suspicious regarding per frame data in the code, mmhh...

Edited by TheDog
theory unconfirmed

I have the same symptom with 18.3.  The 1-second stutter happens when this option is enabled:

• Settings ->  Background Settings -> All Scanning active

Toggling it in-game will cause the stutter to manifest or not depending on the toggle.  The stutter happens even on a fresh start game, with nothing in orbit, no satellites active, etc.  Definitely not GPU as previously noted.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention that this problem only surfaces when you're in a screen where time passes, so launch pad, space etc.  It does not happen inside the assembly buildings or other menus, including the main game menu.  Seems to only be happening when the global data collection calculators are happening.

Happy to help test and/or provide feedback.  Thanks again for this incredible mod!

(EDIT 2:  Confirmed this is happening on completely vanilla, fresh install and new game with only ScanSat and the required mod manager addons installed, so it doesn't look like a conflict with other mods.  Toggle still has same effect).

Edited by Chilkoot
More info for troubleshooting

Version 18.4 is out; get it on Space Dock.

This should alleviate the performance problems of v18.3. The issue was the scanning coverage calculation. It runs alongside the background scanning function, which updates every 1 second, updating the coverage for 1 planet at a time.

I changed the method to just cache a cosine lookup table for the values between -90o- 90o. This is significantly faster than trying to make the calculation for every iteration.

I did some benchmarking to test different methods using a worst-case scenario for stock KSP. This is where every celestial body has SCANsat data, but has no scanning coverage (as if you had sent a probe to every body, but had not done any scanning), the coverage check is only done when a location hasn't been scanned, so if you have a complete scanning map the impact of any calculations are ignored.

Forcing the coverage update to check all bodies on each 1 second tick, instead of going through them 1 at a time I got:

Method Total Update Time
18.2 131ms
18.3 2210ms
18.3 optimized 1866ms
Lookup table w/CRP 142ms
18.4 w/CRP 137ms
18.4 w/o CRP 30ms

Calculating the cosine values on each iteration obviously has a huge effect, going from 131ms to 2210ms (though remember this is for all planets, not just 1 at a time), making some optimizations can lower that a bit, but only using a lookup table significantly helps.

The final change for 18.4 is to ignore checking data for all resources that aren't currently loaded. So for stock KSP only Ore is checked, but with CRP about 20 other resources are added. So not checking those useless values cuts the time to significantly less than the old method.

So the look up time for a single planet with nothing scanned is in the single digit ms range, which decreases significantly if CRP isn't installed and as you scan the planet.

Also, SCANsat doesn't do anything with CurrencyConverter, or any strategies. I activated Outsourced R&D, but never saw any log entries.

Edited by DMagic

This mod gives me a reason to get (a satellite (or six)) up in the morning.  Seriously, how could Squad NOT have done something similar in the original game? An instant poof-you're-done does not, IMO, count. I think I'd have stopped playing if it wasn't for this, seriously.

Looking forward to the four-year birthday of SCANSat!

It looks like some rounding errors are preventing Contract Configurator from offering SCANsat contracts. It thinks they are all below the minimum scanning threshold, which is 0%.

For now, to fix it you can go to the GameData/SCANsat/Resources/Contracts folder and open each of the three contract definitions (Exceptional, Significant, and Trivial.cfg) and change all lines with:

minCoverage = 0.0

to 

minCoverage = -1.0

-edit-    Heh, not safe at all!  Gave it a try in my version of the game and it crashed it during load.  Ahh well!  I actually came here trying to find answers as to why the BTDT mini-window doesn't render the any wireframe image any more for me.  Not sure what changed that it doesn't work.  Not a big deal though.

["How safe do you think it is to run the latest version 18 Scansat on a 1.2.2 install?   I'd like to give it a try if you think it is safe, but I'm not willing to update the game any further."]

Edited by Sarxis

Always nice to see questions answering themselves. :D (And people not deleting the question after they have answered it).

@Sarxis I would imagine very few mods for 1.3 would work properly in 1.2. There were a lot of changes made for localization, so any mod that supports localization, and even many that don't would not work at all in KSP 1.2.

@brusura You can always disable the requirement for a narrow band scanner in orbit in the settings menu if you don't want to deal with that. And it doesn't have to be in a polar orbit, the zoom map will work for resources as long as its center is within the orbital inclination of the narrow band scanner vessel.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:21 AM, InterplanetJanet said:

Looking forward to the four-year birthday of SCANSat!

That's a bit complicated for this one. The first version of SCANsat came out sometime around the fall of 2013 (and the core elements haven't really changed that much since then). The first version that I released was in May 2014 according to the first post here, though there were actually two people working on it at the time. I think the first version that I released entirely on my own was sometime in the fall of 2014 (version 8, I think).

On 2/11/2018 at 11:21 AM, InterplanetJanet said:

This mod gives me a reason to get (a satellite (or six)) up in the morning.  Seriously, how could Squad NOT have done something similar in the original game? An instant poof-you're-done does not, IMO, count. I think I'd have stopped playing if it wasn't for this, seriously.

KSP really seems to struggle when it comes to gameplay elements for anything beyond the basic build-and-fly-vessels part. It all sort of seams like a random collection of things to do, none of which are very interesting or compelling. 

14 minutes ago, DMagic said:

You can always disable the requirement for a narrow band scanner in orbit in the settings menu if you don't want to deal with that. And it doesn't have to be in a polar orbit, the zoom map will work for resources as long as its center is within the orbital inclination of the narrow band scanner vessel.

Thanks! But I have been looking for that setting in the menu, with no luck....I'll try harder :(

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

KSP really seems to struggle when it comes to gameplay elements for anything beyond the basic build-and-fly-vessels part. It all sort of seams like a random collection of things to do, none of which are very interesting or compelling. 

In some ways however, that's actually KSP's strength: You can define what you want your space program to be.  Do you want to carefully colonize every planet and moon?  KSP will let you do that.  Do you want to explore as fast as possible?  KSP will let you do that.  Do you want to make sure you have full communications networks everywhere you go?  KSP will let you do that.  Do you want to just send a tiny probe to the far corners of the solar system on it's own?  KSP will let you do that.  Do you want to just make physics-defying monstrosities?  KSP can do that too.  :wink:

If KSP had a real plot to it, players would tend to think in terms of that plot, and what they need to do to forward that.  As it is, we've got realistic life support systems and extensive colonization mods - and then we've got warp engines and infinite-fuel drives.

You get a universe.  What you do with it is up to you.

53 minutes ago, DStaal said:

In some ways however, that's actually KSP's strength: You can define what you want your space program to be.  Do you want to carefully colonize every planet and moon?  KSP will let you do that.  Do you want to explore as fast as possible?  KSP will let you do that.  Do you want to make sure you have full communications networks everywhere you go?  KSP will let you do that.  Do you want to just send a tiny probe to the far corners of the solar system on it's own?  KSP will let you do that.  Do you want to just make physics-defying monstrosities?  KSP can do that too.  :wink:

If KSP had a real plot to it, players would tend to think in terms of that plot, and what they need to do to forward that.  As it is, we've got realistic life support systems and extensive colonization mods - and then we've got warp engines and infinite-fuel drives.

You get a universe.  What you do with it is up to you.

Dunno your games...but my game start to run very poorly if I have so many mission running, KSP is a universe but not very scalable