[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

I can't get it to work the screen won't show up help please, thank you

You don't see the map interface? Do you have the toolbar addon installed? if your answare for the last question is yes, you must use that addon to see the interface ;)

No I don't see the map interface, and all I install was the scansat folder into the gamedata folder

And you have the scanMaptrack installed on the ship? without that you can't show the interface, when you are on flight mode, press with right click on the scanmaptrack and put on. But first of all, you see the mod elements on build mode?

And you have the scanMaptrack installed on the ship? without that you can't show the interface, when you are on flight mode, press with right click on the scanmaptrack and put on. But first of all, you see the mod elements on build mode?

First post, first gallery. Have you checked that and followed the instructions?

I am having an issue. When I try to open the map of Kerbin, the map just keeps being grey, even although I'm scanning the planets' surface. I have been scanning for quite a long time, so it just keeps being strange. Here's a picture of the problem:

jm4cNR1.png

I am having an issue. When I try to open the map of Kerbin, the map just keeps being grey, even although I'm scanning the planets' surface. I have been scanning for quite a long time, so it just keeps being strange. Here's a picture of the problem:

http://i.imgur.com/jm4cNR1.png

Do you have a SAR installed on your satellite?

It Looks like you only have a Multispectral scan installed on it. The SAR make the map and the Multispectral detect the anomalies. You need both for make a full map ;)

Check the firs page:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80369-0-24-SCANsat-v6-1-Real-Scanning-Real-Science-at-Warp-Speed%21-Jul-18

Edited by Alvargon

Do you have a SAR installed on your satellite?

It Looks like you only have a Multispectral scan installed on it. The SAR make the map and the Multispectral detect the anomalies. You need both for make a full map ;)

Check the firs page:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80369-0-24-SCANsat-v6-1-Real-Scanning-Real-Science-at-Warp-Speed%21-Jul-18

Ah, thanks! I will try it once I unlock it!:)

Hey I was messing about with a SCANSat prop.

Z7zMhbh.jpg

is there a way to access the entire large map in rectangular format for spherical projection? It seems SCANSatRPM only display a portion of the large map; and then only in the middle 1/2 of the UV space, with top and lower 1/4 being filled by remaining sections of the large map, folded in some way I don't quite understand.

is there a way to access the entire large map in rectangular format for spherical projection? It seems SCANSatRPM only display a portion of the large map; and then only in the middle 1/2 of the UV space, with top and lower 1/4 being filled by remaining sections of the large map, folded in some way I don't quite understand.

There isn't any good way to get at the existing SCANsat map, you would have to generate your own. SCANsatRPM generates a modified form of the zoom map, which is why it is has that edge-overlap and isn't necessarily centered correctly.

The standard big map is generated here: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/blob/release/SCANsat/SCANui.cs#L1730-L1744. That's not sufficient by itself to generate a map, but something along those lines will do it.

There's no particular reason why the map is not accessible, changing this, and changing the way it is generated is planned, but for now you would have to generate a new map and use that.

There isn't any good way to get at the existing SCANsat map, you would have to generate your own. SCANsatRPM generates a modified form of the zoom map, which is why it is has that edge-overlap and isn't necessarily centered correctly.

The standard big map is generated here: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/blob/release/SCANsat/SCANui.cs#L1730-L1744. That's not sufficient by itself to generate a map, but something along those lines will do it.

There's no particular reason why the map is not accessible, changing this, and changing the way it is generated is planned, but for now you would have to generate a new map and use that.

Ah I see, thanks. looks like I'll have to wait until you guys change it. I'd be in over my head trying to code it myself.

Hey I was messing about with a SCANSat prop.

http://i.imgur.com/Z7zMhbh.jpg

I think there might be something else going on. It's a little hard to think about with that image. I'll have to look at the map generation code carefully anyway.

Can you send me instructions/code so I can look at this scene myself?

The primary issue with SCANsatRPM code (whose code I have barely looked at at all) is that the aspect ratio is assumed of the map is assumed in SCANsat proper to be fixed (2:1?). Not only do the IVA screens not have this aspect ratio, but they have several different aspect ratios (in ALCOR, for instance).

Also: I'm about to release the v8/v9 series of SCANsat; so this is moot -- but you are posting SCANsat 7.0 material in the release thread. And, in fact, SCANsatRPM code was integrated into SCANsat with the version you have. I highly doubt this is causing the behavior you are seeing, though -- primarily because we changed so little when we brought it in.

As for the rectangular -> spherical projection, that seems like perhaps you are doing something incorrectly? Again, I'd like to look at what you're playing around with.

While I helped write part of those rules (specifically 4a), SCANsat does not do anything against the rules and it won't be going anywhere.

So his comment still does not make sense.

ModStatistics is already removed from the git HEAD of SCANsat (and from the jenkins builds); so if that was the reasoning, it is no longer valid.

While I helped write part of those rules (specifically 4a), SCANsat does not do anything against the rules and it won't be going anywhere.

So his comment still does not make sense.

ModStatistics is already removed from the git HEAD of SCANsat (and from the jenkins builds); so if that was the reasoning, it is no longer valid.

The download still has it bundled, though. It violates term #6, as it doesn't gather data anonymously, only pseudonymously. I mean, either way it's not in either of our hands at this point, so we'll just see what happens.

I'll never understand the mentality of people who like to feel big and powerful by taking down the work of people who have created and achieved more than them. Just don't understand it.

The download still has it bundled, though. It violates term #6, as it doesn't gather data anonymously, only pseudonymously. I mean, either way it's not in either of our hands at this point, so we'll just see what happens.

Unbunch your knickers - SCANsat is available without ModStats perfectly fine. All you need to do is report the post to a moderator who will remove the link asap, or hopefully technogeeky has the time to remove it from the OP him/herself and point it to the Github distro. There's no sense in stirring up something that is easily handled by simple reporting the rule-breaking post.

I think there might be something else going on. It's a little hard to think about with that image. I'll have to look at the map generation code carefully anyway.

Can you send me instructions/code so I can look at this scene myself?

The primary issue with SCANsatRPM code (whose code I have barely looked at at all) is that the aspect ratio is assumed of the map is assumed in SCANsat proper to be fixed (2:1?). Not only do the IVA screens not have this aspect ratio, but they have several different aspect ratios (in ALCOR, for instance).

Also: I'm about to release the v8/v9 series of SCANsat; so this is moot -- but you are posting SCANsat 7.0 material in the release thread. And, in fact, SCANsatRPM code was integrated into SCANsat with the version you have. I highly doubt this is causing the behavior you are seeing, though -- primarily because we changed so little when we brought it in.

As for the rectangular -> spherical projection, that seems like perhaps you are doing something incorrectly? Again, I'd like to look at what you're playing around with.

yeah this was done with SCANsatRPM's maprenderer background handler; with a special RPM page defined to display the SCANSat map on a sphere instead of normal flat surface. From what I understand, RPM screen is mapped to UV space from 0,0 to 1,1. upper left corner being 0,0. non-square texture displayed is either stretched to fill the UV space, or some flat color is used to fill the extra space. Which is what I think I'm seeing.

the upper right inset is the RPMscreen at the time I took the screen shot; the middle band is part of the large map, centered on the active vessel. then spill overs of the large map is used to fill the top and bottom bands that's not filled by the large map initially. The large map is 2x1; so it could simply be shifted up so it fills the top 1/2 of the UV space. Rescaled to 1x0.5 in other words, with upper left corner at 0,0. and I can map the sphere (or curved cylindrical) surface accordingly.

I'm not sure how I would do this at all with the newer SCANsat versions. I'll get the prop and config together for you look at tomrrow. Although this might be as far as it gets since transparent shaders doesn't render in correctly on internal props. a solid sphere in IVA is more annoying than none at all I think.

Edited by nli2work

1. It always will (I won't be revising the distribution for an old version).

2. The only non-anonymous part of the ModStatistics data collection was the fact that it communicated directly: that is, your (public facing) IP address. There is no realistic way to subvert this (unless you route data through something like tor). And this IP adddress is *the only* potentially identifying data (that is, the actual information transmitted contained no identifying information). So by the definition you appear to be using, 'gather data anonymously' is an impossible task (it is an empty set). If you want all data collection of all kinds to stop, you should say that instead if what you said.