[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Apparently, Big Map works if you don't toggle orbits to show up. If you do, you're boned and permanently broke it, as it will cause all buttons to disappear and nothing show up on the map itself. You can't revert it because, as stated, there are no buttons to hide orbits, and there is no config file for you to manually shut off orbit mode. (Hopefully DMagic can easily make one for future reference)

So, if you broke Big Map(as I foolishly did and learned the hard way), you can kiss MULTI and BTDT scans bye-bye as they don't show up on the still-functioning Small Map. Anything besides this nasty bug works A-OK, though.

Is this bug present in the dev build (v11)?

big map works ok on the dev build with orbits and without

the small map on the other hand either I don't know how to use or is a bit broken, it show the swaths when I start scanning but after I complete the MULTI scan it shows only grey, I need to get more scanners going to check it as now I only used the MULTI one on my first satellites

EDIT: Checked more scanners and the HI and LO scanners and they work on the small map, have no time to do the BTDT scans

Edited by faraon
more info

Version 12 is out; get it on Kerbal Stuff or at GitHub.

There have been numerous changes from SCANsat version 10. See the first post and the GitHub readme for more information and a full changelog.

A few important changes to note:

Part file and folder names have changed; you must delete any existing installations of SCANsat.

The stock resource system has been integrated; more-or-less following what was laid out in the plans listed a few days ago.

Default Resource Mode

When scanning a planet using the stock Orbital Survey Scanner instrument all SCANsat resource maps for that planet will be filled in. These are available for display on the big map.

The biome lock is active, giving only rough estimates of resource abundance until surface surveys are conducted.

The zoom window can only show resource overlays if a vessel with a narrow-band scanner is in orbit around the planet and its inclination is high enough to cover the area shown in the zoom map.

SCANsat Resource Mode

In this mode SCANsat map overlays are decoupled from the stock scanning system.

All resources must be scanned using normal SCANsat methods to be shown on the map overlay.

Other changes include a new zoom map, FinePrint waypoint integration, MechJeb Landing Guidance integration (along with a stand-alone target selection system), extended color management options for slope, biome, and resource maps, an extensive external configuration file for storing all color settings, and numerous minor bug fixes, UI tweaks, and other adjustments.

Change Log:

Version 12 - 2015-5-3
------------------------

- Updated for KSP 1.0.2

Parts:
- Part file and folder names changed; make sure to delete old installations
- All part textures converted to DDS format
- Part textures reduced in size; total RAM saving of ~20MB
- RADAR scanner moved to Basic Science tech node
- Part drag and temperature properties adjusted

Zoom Map:
- Entirely new zoom map window

- The window is a now a separate object, created by right-clicking somewhere on the big map
- Can be dragged and re-sized independently of the big map

- Window Controls
- Zoom in and out buttons are available on the top row
- Right click within the zoom map to zoom in and re-center the map
- Left click to zoom out
- Middle click, or Modifier Key (ALT) + Right-click to re-center without changing the zoom level
- Zoom lever indicated along the top row; click the indicator to re-sync the zoom map with the big map

- Overlay Options
- Vessel orbit, waypoints, and anomaly locations can be toggled independently of their settings on the big map
- Resource overlays will be shown in the zoom map

- Landing Waypoint Selection
- The target selection icon in the upper-left can be selected to activate target selection mode
- Click anywhere in the zoom map to select a target site
- The site will be marked with a target icon on the zoom map, the big map, and as an overlay on the planet surface in map mode
- Targets are persistent; one can be selected for each planet
- click within the zoom window, but outside of the map itselft to cancel target selection and clear any existing targets

- MechJeb Landing Guidance
- When MechJeb is installed the target selection mode can be switched to interact with the MechJeb Landing Guidance Module
- A MechJeb core must be on your current vessel and the Landing Guidance Module must be unlocked in the R&D center

Stock Resource Integration:
- The new stock resource system has been integrated into SCANsat

- Multiple modes of operation are available

- Default Mode
- When scanning a planet using the stock Orbital Survey Scanner instrument all SCANsat resource maps for that planet will be filled in
- These are available for display on the big map

- The biome lock is active, giving only rough estimates of resource abundance until surface surveys are conducted

- The zoom window can only show resource overlays if a vessel with a narrow-band scanner is in orbit around the planet and its inclination is high enough to cover the area shown in the zoom map

- SCANsat Mode
- In this mode SCANsat map overlays are decoupled from the stock scanning system
- All resources must be scanned using normal SCANsat methods to be shown on the map overlay

FinePrint Waypoint Integration:
- Waypoints generated by FinePrint contracts can be displayed on SCANsat maps

- A new waypoint icon is available on the big map and zoom map

- The waypoint name is shown when the mouse-cursor is over it

- The SCANsat Instruments Window displays the name of a waypoint when your current vessel is within range

- Also works with custom waypoints added through nightingale's Waypoint Manager

Color Management Updates:
- Color options for slope, biome and resource maps are now available
- An HSV color selection wheel is available for custom color selection
- Click the mouse on the color wheel to select a color hue and saturation level
- Adjust the value (brightness) slider to the right

- Slope maps use two sets of colors, for high and low slope values

- Biome map end-point colors can be adjusted
- Stock biome map colors can be used in place of SCANsat colors
- The terrain transparency for biome maps can be adjusted

- Resource end-point colors can be adjusted
- Resource cut-off values can be adjusted for each planet
- Resource overlay transparency can be adjusted

External Color Config File:
- All color options are saved to an external file
- GameData/SCANsat/Resources/SCANcolors.cfg
- Each tab in the Color Management Window has a save option, this will update the values in the config file

- Terrain and Resource color options are saved for each planet; values for addon planets can be added as well

- Values in the config file serve as default values
- New save files will use these values
- Existing save files can reset color values to these defaults using the Color Management Window

Bug Fixes and Miscellaneous Updates:
- Docking, un-docking, decoupling, breaking your vessel etc... while active SCANsat sensors are onboard will not result in spurious sensor activity anymore

- Includes a fixed Active Texture Management config file to prevent SCANsat icons from being altered

- Window positions made persistent
- The big map position is saved and will remain persistent through different game sessions
- Other window positions are only persistent during a single game session

- Fixed a bug with data resets in the tracking center

- Fixed Instruments Window slope calculation at high latitudes
- Instruments Window now displays terrain altitude while the vessel is on the surface

- Various UI tweaks and fixes

- Remove Community Tech Tree support

Updates From Version 11.6:
- Updates to Zoom Map resource overlay restriction
- Less frequent checks for suitable vessels in orbit
- Fix bug when checking parts with multiple narrow-band scanner modules

- Fix MechJeb integration

- Fix Blizzy toolbar icons

Edited by DMagic

Thanks Dmaic, that is awesome news, I was using the dev version, but didn't actually get to use any of it.

Questions:

What do you mean by fineprint waypoints? The stock way point system?

Have you thought about waypoint manager intergration? It simple lets you hide/show stock waypoint and also create custom ones.

CKAN ready?

- SCANsat Mode

- In this mode SCANsat map overlays are decoupled from the stock scanning system

- All resources must be scanned using normal SCANsat methods to be shown on the map overlay

So, in SCANsat mode: M700 scanner scans from orbit

narrow-band scanner gives optional zoom map

What does Surface scaning module do? nothing?

I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but what do I need to do to be able to use the M700 the way you show in the slideshow guide? There is no "Start Resource Scan" button anywhere. I only have the vanilla survey buttons. Is it because I had previously conducted some vanilla surveys on the moons? Do I need to start a new career? Even for the planets I had already vanilla-surveyed, the Ore overlay is blank on the big map.

Documentation is still a work in progress. For the most up-to-date information always go to the GitHub ReadMe.

What do you mean by fineprint waypoints? The stock way point system?

Have you thought about waypoint manager intergration? It simple lets you hide/show stock waypoint and also create custom ones.

CKAN ready?

Waypoints documentation hasn't really been added, but yes, the stock, FinePrint contract, waypoint system. Any time you open a map of a planet with FinePrint survey or stationary position waypoints they can be displayed on the map (not in the space center for technical reasons). The name of each waypoint can be seen by putting the mouse cursor over its position, this is easier to do in the zoom map.

Waypoints are also displayed in the instruments window when you are within range for completing a contract.

The visibility of the landing guidance markers is also controlled by the waypoint icon toggle, shown in the big map and the zoom map.

Custom waypoints added by Waypoint Manager should work fine, they are just stock waypoints without an associated contract.

Ground truthing if it is enable I believe.

Yes, without ground surveys the orbital resource scans will only be of limited use in finding areas of high resource concentration. There is an option in the settings menu to remove this limitation.

I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but what do I need to do to be able to use the M700 the way you show in the slideshow guide? There is no "Start Resource Scan" button anywhere. I only have the vanilla survey buttons. Is it because I had previously conducted some vanilla surveys on the moons? Do I need to start a new career? Even for the planets I had already vanilla-surveyed, the Ore overlay is blank on the big map.

The GitHub ReadMe has a more complete description of the process and options.

You need to deactivate the "Instant scan" option, otherwise the SCANsat resource scanner options won't show on the part. You also need Module Manager installed.

The GitHub ReadMe has a more complete description of the process and options.

You need to deactivate the "Instant scan" option, otherwise the SCANsat resource scanner options won't show on the part. You also need Module Manager installed.

Thank you for the feedback. I did go through that readme after I wrote my post.

I found the solution: turns out you NEED to install the module manager NO MATTER WHAT. Even if you are not using any of the mentioned/related mods. If you don't, that feature will simply not work.

I hope this post helps anyone who runs into this issue. I also believe this should be made completely clear in the main post's installation instructions.

Unless the Module Manager DLL file is downloaded and placed in the Gamedata folder, the ore scan will not work.

Edited by Deimos_F

Got one of the classic "forgot to change to .net 3.5" errors for you in SCANmechjeb.dll:

[COLOR=#333333][EXC 19:32:05.831] ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes ()[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]ContractConfigurator.ContractConfigurator+<GetAllT ypes>d__1e`1[ContractConfigurator.ExpressionParser.IExpressionP arserRegistrer].MoveNext ()[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#333333]Rethrow as Exception: Error loading types from assembly SCANmechjeb, Version=1.1.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null[/COLOR]

This was reported by one of my users in this post, so I can't confirm the version (although I assume the assembly version in the log snippet above is meaningful to you).

Unless the Module Manager DLL file is downloaded and placed in the Gamedata folder, the ore scan will not work.

Using the default options the ore scan works fine without Module Manager. No additional scanning is needed, just use the Orbital Survey Scanner and SCANsat will automatically detect the change and update the map for that planet.

oky, i've been working hard to nail down the issue for you...

The issue is caused by hyper edit...

Spacifically if you alter kerbins rotational speed... I had it set to 0...

Yeah, Hyper Edit has lots of potential to break things in interesting ways.

- - - Updated - - -

Got one of the classic "forgot to change to .net 3.5" errors for you in SCANmechjeb.dll:

That would be embarrassing, though I'm not sure the real issue is any better... :confused:

That's an old copy of SCANsat, one that was built against the an old copy of MechJeb. When MechJeb updated to 2.5 the assembly version was changed too, so it refuses to load, even though nothing that SCANsatmechjeb uses actually changed.

SCANsat 12 is compatible with the official version of MechJeb 2.5 and the latest dev build (I think #444 was the latest I tried). They are good about keeping the assembly version consistent throughout major versions, so future compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by DMagic

[Career Mode] Does SCANsat give us science points?

• Yes! For each type of map, if you scan at least 30% of the surface, you can yse Data for partial science points; up until the maximum value at 95% map coverage.

I think some sort of forum auto-censoring is being a pain in the rear and quietly mangling the OP, any way to fix that?

Are there any plans to integrate SCANsat-produced maps of altimetry, slope, and biome into the stock surface display alongside resources? Slope could be handy... and biome definitely could be handy. I know stock supports displaying biomes on the surface already... but it feels "cheaty" to me, I'd like to be able to use in-game mechanics through SCANsat to map this data out before being able to see it.

Are there any plans to integrate SCANsat-produced maps of altimetry, slope, and biome into the stock surface display alongside resources? Slope could be handy... and biome definitely could be handy. I know stock supports displaying biomes on the surface already... but it feels "cheaty" to me, I'd like to be able to use in-game mechanics through SCANsat to map this data out before being able to see it.

For biomes and resources yes. Altimetry maps maybe. Slope maps are worthless, I'd get rid of them if I didn't think people would pitch a fit.

For biomes and resources yes. Altimetry maps maybe. Slope maps are worthless, I'd get rid of them if I didn't think people would pitch a fit.

Does the problem with slope map have anything to do with trying to solve for slopes on a whole 3d surface given that slope is dependent on the direction in which the slope is taken. Yeah, that'd be a pain.

Possibly a silly question, but is it still a requirement for the scanner to be the active vessel for it to work?

This was never a requirement.

Does the problem with slope map have anything to do with trying to solve for slopes on a whole 3d surface given that slope is dependent on the direction in which the slope is taken. Yeah, that'd be a pain.

Yes, mostly.

The slope readout on the instruments window gets around this by calculating the height for 8 points around the vessel, that isn't practical for the entire map. The other problem is that the scale is way too big to be meaningful. Areas of mostly flat terrain can still be bumpy, so finding a large-scale flat area doesn't really help that much and can mostly be accomplished using the elevation map anyway.

Slope maps are worthless, I'd get rid of them if I didn't think people would pitch a fit.

Haha, noooo. I do like the slope maps and always try to see them for usefullness, even though it doesn't work a lot.

Maybe you can change the slope maps to something like contour height map, something like this or maybe mix it up.

I'm supposing the maps are actually from a pre-generated image file, is it possible?¿