[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Awesome update! Psyched about the contracts integration, I know you've were super helpful enabling them in the first place.

What will happen to those of us using his contract pack already, will it all switch over nicely, or should we grab some new contracts for already-scanned planets?

Awesome update! Psyched about the contracts integration, I know you've were super helpful enabling them in the first place.

What will happen to those of us using his contract pack already, will it all switch over nicely, or should we grab some new contracts for already-scanned planets?

DMagic will probably be able to confirm officially, but looking at the changes I can't see it being an issue.

The only thing I can see, is that the integerated contracts are slightly more forgiving than SSL was.

So if you have a planet that is somewhere between 70-95% scanned, you may miss the contract for that body. (I can't see this being an issue though, as you'd probably have a SSL contract anyway!)

One word of warning: Don't just rip ScanSatLite out if you have an active contract from the pack. Things WILL break.

Edited by severedsolo

Did something change with heat disapation???

I installed the update along with KSPIE's and went to check a satellite I had scanning Gilly.

It's equipped with a pair of the large stock solar panels, a big battery, and no other radiators.

(no KSPIE parts at all, actually) This satellite's been on station for some time with no problem.

Now, waste heat builds up until it shuts the solar panels, the batteries run down, and it goes dead.

(and seeing I'm running RemoteTech, dead is dead)

I didn't see anything in the change log, but do the scanners produce heat now? or more than they did before?

Did something change with heat disapation???

I installed the update along with KSPIE's and went to check a satellite I had scanning Gilly.

It's equipped with a pair of the large stock solar panels, a big battery, and no other radiators.

(no KSPIE parts at all, actually) This satellite's been on station for some time with no problem.

Now, waste heat builds up until it shuts the solar panels, the batteries run down, and it goes dead.

(and seeing I'm running RemoteTech, dead is dead)

I didn't see anything in the change log, but do the scanners produce heat now? or more than they did before?

SCANsat parts don't and never have produced heat. Runaway heating problems are probably caused by the buggy stock heating system.

Perhaps I've missed a setting somewhere, or what not, but as a request, can we make the map position persistant between game sessions? I find it somewhat annoying to have to reposition my maps every session. Not a huge thing, by any means, but one I'm surprised isn't already in.

Also, with the new contracts you are including with this update, should I remove the ScanSat Lite pack, since yours is based on that one?

Can anyone point me to a guide to adding scanning sensors to existing parts?

I am a big fan of realistic/historic spacecraft and I want to add scanning ability to historic probes like Terra from RN_US_Probes.

I have fumbled through some MM files but I want to check my own work before I offer up the files to the community.

Hi Dmagic,

I checked the new update for the color filter for the resources and found that the lower end exclusion works, but the high-end exclusion is missing.

To test, select the Mun, set your Min to 3% and Max to 6%.

You'll find that anything less than 3% is not colored (all good there), but resources over 6% will still show with the high color rather than be excluded.

(I'm hoping it's not just me.)

Also, with the new contracts you are including with this update, should I remove the ScanSat Lite pack, since yours is based on that one?

Only if you don't have any active contracts from SSlite. I'm not sure what will happen to completed contracts if you remove it, but I think it should be fine, maybe make a backup before you try. Alternatively, if there is a problem, you could just edit the maxSimultaneous value in the ContractPackScanSatLite.cfg file.

Can anyone point me to a guide to adding scanning sensors to existing parts?

I am a big fan of realistic/historic spacecraft and I want to add scanning ability to historic probes like Terra from RN_US_Probes.

I have fumbled through some MM files but I want to check my own work before I offer up the files to the community.

Malah released a set of [thread=99869]MM configs[/thread] for adding all of the SCANsat modules to stock parts. You can look at that for reference.

Basically you just need to add the SCANsat part modules to whatever part you want to use; animations may or may not work, you'll have to experiment. Resource scanners are a bit more complex, you'll probably need to add in the stock scanner modules as well as the SCANsat resource scanning modules (which can be found in the SCANsat/MM_Parts folder) for them to work right.

Hi Dmagic,

I checked the new update for the color filter for the resources and found that the lower end exclusion works, but the high-end exclusion is missing.

To test, select the Mun, set your Min to 3% and Max to 6%.

You'll find that anything less than 3% is not colored (all good there), but resources over 6% will still show with the high color rather than be excluded.

(I'm hoping it's not just me.)

That's how it's supposed to work.

The lower value is a cutoff (because why would you want to see resource concentrations below that value?) and the upper value is a color limit, it just sets the max color value. I can't see any reason why someone would want to hide resource deposits above a certain concentration.

One thing I might want to add here is a simpler way of adjusting those values. I think a simple set of controls could be added to the resource overlay window for setting those min and max values so that people won't have to dive into the color management window every time they want to adjust it.

Only if you don't have any active contracts from SSlite. I'm not sure what will happen to completed contracts if you remove it, but I think it should be fine, maybe make a backup before you try. Alternatively, if there is a problem, you could just edit the maxSimultaneous value in the ContractPackScanSatLite.cfg file.

Shouldn't be a major problem for completed contracts - Contract Configurator will output a warning message in the log that it can't load them, but that can be safely ignored. Active contracts will get auto-cancelled with a message in the notification area and offered contracts will silently disappear.

Minor tweak - have the SCAN agency only offer scanning contracts. Rescuing Kerbals seems outside their stated purview...

Contract Configurator adds the NoRandomContractMentality (example usage here) for that very purpose. It's 99% effective (I've occasionally seen a contract slip through the cracks, I think if KSP doesn't find an appropriate agent it'll fall back to randomly picking one).

That's how it's supposed to work.

The lower value is a cutoff (because why would you want to see resource concentrations below that value?) and the upper value is a color limit, it just sets the max color value. I can't see any reason why someone would want to hide resource deposits above a certain concentration.

One thing I might want to add here is a simpler way of adjusting those values. I think a simple set of controls could be added to the resource overlay window for setting those min and max values so that people won't have to dive into the color management window every time they want to adjust it.

Ah! Sorry about that. I assumed that if MIN value excluded numbers below, then it made sense for the MAX would do the same for the top end. I thought you'd be doing it do it for story reasons or possibily you designed it for maximum flexibility for those that used it it unexpected ways. *shrug*

Gotta say again - this is a fantastic mod and thanks for your work on it Dmagic! - I love playing with this. (Just wish I understood the process more - still learning. :) )

Just wanted to say that this is truly a great, playable mod. I'm not doing career yet (soon, soon), just playing around in science mode mostly, but it provides a great incentive to plan missions, establish different orbits and teaches patience.

I've read half of this forum and the github release pages, and still have a question. I use the Resources button on the big map and under that I see only "ORE". I've been scanning Kerbin and the Mun with a M700 and all of the SCANSat parts (I realize that they aren't resource scanners but I'm just to figure out what they do and how best to deploy them) in sandbox mode. I compare what I see on these forum and release pages and am wondering how to view all of the other resources that seem to be available.

Are these from other mods or have I just not gone where these resources exist?

So is the only vanilla resource scanner the only one that can scan resources?

Both of the stock scanners can be used for resources. The M700 gives a low resolution scan for all loaded resources and the Narrow-Band scanner gives high resolution data for ore. Scanners from other mods can be used for other resources.

Just wanted to say that this is truly a great, playable mod. I'm not doing career yet (soon, soon), just playing around in science mode mostly, but it provides a great incentive to plan missions, establish different orbits and teaches patience.

I've read half of this forum and the github release pages, and still have a question. I use the Resources button on the big map and under that I see only "ORE". I've been scanning Kerbin and the Mun with a M700 and all of the SCANSat parts (I realize that they aren't resource scanners but I'm just to figure out what they do and how best to deploy them) in sandbox mode. I compare what I see on these forum and release pages and am wondering how to view all of the other resources that seem to be available.

Are these from other mods or have I just not gone where these resources exist?

All you really need in the Community Resource Pack. By itself it doesn't do anything, but mods like Karbonite and MKS use several of the resources provided by that. They have no function for stock KSP though.

All you really need in the Community Resource Pack. By itself it doesn't do anything, but mods like Karbonite and MKS use several of the resources provided by that. They have no function for stock KSP though.

Thanks, I was hoping it was that way. I'll eventually get to MKS once I've figured how to get into orbit reliably with payload.

Sorry, another question came to mind: I'm not clear on what the options "Instant Resource Scan" and "Disable Stock Scanning" do and how they interact. I've reviewed what you've already written on the first page and on github but I don't understand the ramifications on the game enough to feel comfortable changing them. Which combination provides the most immersive game play?

If I understand it correctly, the former disables the stock parts' instantaneous scan time. The latter completely replaces stock part behaviour and makes everything work like SCANSat parts.

Edited by Brigadier
Grammar and additional explanation

AFAIK you want Instant Resource Scan off and Disable Stock Scanning on, and one of those might imply the other.

You're absolutely correct. I reread (a couple of times) all of the documentation on github and that what it says in Section 3c - disabling Stock Scanning also turns Instant Resource Scanning off. I'm also clearer now on the what those actually mean to gameplay. If I have it right, amongst other effects, disabling Stock Scanning means that all scans will require surface overflight to build the scan results (non-instantaneous) and if there is a separate scanner for a given resource it will be used instead of the stock parts.

My difficultly came from not understanding what stock scanning did and how it did it, having only had access to the M700 from the tech tree before I installed SCANSat. Gotta love the learning curve.

I have two things that I think will help with some of the confusion for this, eventually.

One is to put a help function into the menus, just the standard question mark button that provides description tooltips for each button.

The other is a proper GitHub wiki for scanning. I really have plans for two main sections, one on scanning and the feedback that SCANsat gives (orbit lines, altitude indicators, etc...) and one on resource scanning. The resource scanning will probably have to cover stock scanning as well.

I have two things that I think will help with some of the confusion for this, eventually...

Admirable goals. I believe that the in-game help would be the best first step but it depends on how most people learn their mods in KSP. Do they visit the github (or any other) widi pages, troll the forums, wing it, dive into the sandbox...? For me, it's the in-game help.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen something like this--

I've tested this in three different career modes, two science modes - all on separate installs (haven't tested in sandbox yet as I don't really play sandbox anymore). In all instances, once I get to the point where I start launching ScanSAT probes to planets, after I get about 5 or 6 bodies to 100% scanned, my save starts to bug out when changing vessels. When I switch to a different vessel, the camera ends up in some random place in the galaxy (sometimes inside of a planet, sometimes inside of the sun, sometimes just randomly out in space) and I have no interface controls. The only thing I actually can do is Esc and return to the Space Center. When I do that, if I go into the Tracking Station, the UI is all messed up and the list of vessels is smashed up above the screen to where I can't select anything and even the Exit to Space Center button no longer works (I have to alt-tab out and force the app to close). Note that relaunching the app does fix the issue, but it will return before long.

As I said, this only happens once I start to do ScanSAT scans of bodies. In my testing, I've not ever run into the issue if I don't do any body scans. A few notes specifically regarding ScanSAT: I don't ever start doing scans until I have the radar, multispectral, and SAR modules. When I get those three unlocked, I make all of my satellites with those three modules and the stock M700 Resource scanner. I usually launch them in in sets for each system (so, for Kerbin I'll launch three on a single lifter and then send them to the bodies for that system - in this case Kerbin, Mun, Minmus; and then so on for each planet afterwards). The most I've ever gotten scanned before running into the bug is all of Kerbin system, Duna system, and Eve system. On that particular instance, it was when I started my Moho scanning that I ran into the problem. Probably would have had Moho at 100%, but I remembered something else I needed to do that I didn't want to forget and switched back over to another vessel. The least I've ever gotten done before hitting the problem is all of Kerbin system and Eve system.

In regards to the rest of my KSP setup: I am currently running it using the Windows x64 temp fix. I understand that this is not supported and if that's the problem, so be it - mainly, if that's the case, I just want to know if others running x64 have hit this problem or not; that would help to verify if that's the problem. Beyond that, other major mods include OPM (with Kopernicus, of course) and some visual mods (like EVE, Texture Replacer - though, I don't have but just a couple of textures replaced). There are various other part mods, including DMagic's Orbital Science. My latest install of the game also includes Interstellar Extended, but the previous installations did not and I had the issue with those as well. To note: as you've probably deduced from the previous info, I've never gotten to the point of scanning any of the OPM planets.

Just looking for any insight into this. Aside from that, I do love your mods DMagic - keep up the good work! :)

EDIT: should point out, I know it obviously could be something completely unrelated to ScanSAT that is causing the problem - I just have only ever SEEN the problem begin once I start doing my scans. To further this point - I've had ScanSAT for a LOOOONG time, but never took the time to actually start using it until recently, and this particular problem didn't start until that time.

EDIT 2: I know I type the name of the mod backwards (ScanSAT as opposed to SCANsat) - just habit from how I name my probes! :D

Edited by Lexan

Admirable goals. I believe that the in-game help would be the best first step but it depends on how most people learn their mods in KSP. Do they visit the github (or any other) widi pages, troll the forums, wing it, dive into the sandbox...? For me, it's the in-game help.

Well, since the plural of anecdote is data, I follow the link in CKAN if it's useful. (If it's not, I am annoyed). That's usually a forum thread, and I look for explanations and useful links in the first post.

Well, since the plural of anecdote is data, I follow the link in CKAN if it's useful. (If it's not, I am annoyed). That's usually a forum thread, and I look for explanations and useful links in the first post.

Likewise, I will check the first post of the forum thread, and then if that fails the github wiki (if one exists).