[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Can someone please help? I can't get any accurate readings for ore and many other resources with SCANSat. First I did a fuzzy scan with M700. Then I ground-proofed the biome with a Surface Scanning Module. Now I have a Narrow Band scanner running, but it still doesn't show me any actual numbers for ore. What am I doing wrong? EDIT: Never mind, solved it myself.

Edited by sh1pman

Hello ScanSat.

I Absolutely love this mod. Space exploration is best described as mapping the planets, and don’t know why this isn’t part of the stock game (toggleable).
Just as the suggestion I wane make is not a fault in the mod but in the stock game, but the fix depends on your mod.

MAIN POINT:

I hate that the planes and spaceship  already know over which biome they fly even at a virgin celestial body, “High in space Mimus Highlands”.

Is it possible to make space (& atmospheric flight), depend on a biome map to know there biome?
Of course customizable for which type of situation a biome scan is needed .

I already try to adjust my playstyle to take regard of this flaw. But its tedious and still miss a General  “unknown” biome”.
Especially since many useful mods that help collection biome dependable science use this  “known” biome to enhance their usefulness.
So I really miss a general  “unknown” Biome. (?no biome dependable science possible at “unknown” biome? Fix for later time).

Would this be possible to implement, or implement without the “unknown biome”?

Yours Sincerely

Heineken

Edited by Heineken

Hi guys!

I've got a satellite in Kerbin orbit with all 4 of the scanners, in an extremely low orbit of 70x73. It seems only one of my scanners is actually scanning when I pull hope my small map. Am  I doing something wrong or did I somehow bug my 1.2.1 version of the mod? This is the first scansat probe I've ever launched so I'm still new to it, plus I have nothing to compare it too.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:42 AM, tsaven said:

Hey, what do I need to change to get the ScanSAT parts to scan for Silicates when using USI MKS?

I added the following lines to the SCANsat_Resource_Scanner.cfg file:

{
        name = SCANresourceDisplay
        sensorType = 268435456
        ResourceName = Silicates
    }

Into what I assumed were the appropriate parts (anything that had FOR[SCANsat]:NEEDS[KolonyTools] in it).  And while now Silicates show up as a resource on the Narrow-Band scanner, it simply reads "No data" still.

Is there something else I need to change?

Do you have the community resource pack installed? I don't use MKS/OKS, but when I got the regular old USI LS and CRP, silicate and about 20 other things are appearing on my half completed map of minimus using the stock resource thing from a polar orbit :).

Edited by nascarlaser1
wrong emoji

1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Hi guys!I've got a satellite in Kerbin orbit with all 4 of the scanners, in an extremely low orbit of 70x73. It seems only one of my scanners is actually scanning when I pull hope my small map. Am  I doing something wrong or did I somehow bug my 1.2.1 version of the mod? This is the first scansat probe I've ever launched so I'm still new to it, plus I have nothing to compare it too.

Too low an orbit.

2 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Hi guys!

I've got a satellite in Kerbin orbit with all 4 of the scanners, in an extremely low orbit of 70x73. It seems only one of my scanners is actually scanning when I pull hope my small map. Am  I doing something wrong or did I somehow bug my 1.2.1 version of the mod? This is the first scansat probe I've ever launched so I'm still new to it, plus I have nothing to compare it too.

25 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Too low an orbit.

To expand on this, when are looking at the SCANsat scanners in the parts menu at the VAB/SPH, bring up the extra info by right clicking. This will show you the module information. You should see one called "SCANsat scanner" or something like that. This will include a minimum altitude, a maximum altitude, and sometimes a best altitude. This shows what your orbital parameters need to be to get ideal (or any) results. For best results, you want your orbit to be just above (but not below) the best altitude. When you do this, right clicking the scanner in flight should display a message that says your altitude is "ideal." If no "best" altitude option is listed in the VAB/SPH, then the minimum altitude is the best altitude. Note that for the basic Radar Scanner, the lowest/best altitude is 10km, which is obviously too low to orbit Kerbin. In cases like this, just put the scanner as low as you can. The basic radar scanner is already pretty fuzzy as it is, so you aren't losing anything much. The high resolution SAR scanner, on the other hand, has a best altitude of something like 250 km, and a minimum operating altitude of around 150 km (I don't remember the numbers exactly, sorry!) so you need to have a satellite in a much higher orbit to get a good SAR scan than the basic RADAR scan.

Hope this helps!

18 minutes ago, Merkov said:

To expand on this, when are looking at the SCANsat scanners in the parts menu at the VAB/SPH, bring up the extra info by right clicking. This will show you the module information. You should see one called "SCANsat scanner" or something like that. This will include a minimum altitude, a maximum altitude, and sometimes a best altitude. This shows what your orbital parameters need to be to get ideal (or any) results. For best results, you want your orbit to be just above (but not below) the best altitude. When you do this, right clicking the scanner in flight should display a message that says your altitude is "ideal." If no "best" altitude option is listed in the VAB/SPH, then the minimum altitude is the best altitude. Note that for the basic Radar Scanner, the lowest/best altitude is 10km, which is obviously too low to orbit Kerbin. In cases like this, just put the scanner as low as you can. The basic radar scanner is already pretty fuzzy as it is, so you aren't losing anything much. The high resolution SAR scanner, on the other hand, has a best altitude of something like 250 km, and a minimum operating altitude of around 150 km (I don't remember the numbers exactly, sorry!) so you need to have a satellite in a much higher orbit to get a good SAR scan than the basic RADAR scan.

Hope this helps!

Thank you thank you! Does this mean I need more then 1 satellite? or can I use my micro terrier engine I have strapped on to fix my orbits?

Just now, nascarlaser1 said:

Thank you thank you! Does this mean I need more then 1 satellite? or can I use my micro terrier engine I have strapped on to fix my orbits?

That depends on how patient you are I guess. I usually use multiple satellites, one for each orbit I need. If you are using SCANsat for resource scanning as well as altimetry and biome scanning, then I believe that there are a few scanners that have best altitudes of 150 km. Those I would all place on one satellite in that orbit. I also generally play career mode, so quite often I will unlock a scanner, send that scanner into orbit, then unlock another scanner. At that point, it makes the most sense to just build a new satellite with only the new scanner on board, and put it into its proper orbit.

Having said all of that, if you want to, you could build one satellite with all of the scanners you want on it, then put it into the ideal orbit of one (or more) of those scanners, complete the scan, then move on to another scanner's ideal orbit, complete that scan, etc. This just requires patience on your part, since it takes time for the satellite to make enough passes over the planet to scan the entire surface. Different scanners also have different Fields of View, which affects things. For example, the basic RADAR scanner has a really wide FOV, and since it likes to be in as low of an orbit as possible, it doesn't take long to scan the whole surface of a planet or moon. The SAR scanner, however, likes to be in a really high orbit and has a very narrow FOV, so it takes a lot of passes (and a long time) to complete that scan. So, you may decide that it's worth combining the RADAR scanner with another scanner (since it doesn't take long to do the RADAR scan first then move into the proper orbit for your next scan) but perhaps it isn't worth combining the SAR scanner with anything else (since it takes a LONG time for that scan to complete on its own, not to mention then having to do something else after). Again, it all comes down to how much time you're willing to spend.

Check the info boxes in the VAB and the KSPedia entry, it has all of this information.

For using one satellite with multiple scanners, you generally want to be as high as you possibly can. Any altitude above the "ideal altitude" will give you maximum coverage (though the orbit will be slower the higher your altitude is, so there is a trade off), and anything below that altitude will significantly reduce coverage. The high resolution, SAR scanner is where this is most obvious, it's ideal altitude is well above the max altitude of the other scanners, so you'll need to either set up a good orbit at a lower altitude and wait, or move up to a higher altitude when the other scans are finished.

Edited by DMagic

4 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Do you have the community resource pack installed? I don't use MKS/OKS, but when I got the regular old USI LS and CRP, silicate and about 20 other things are appearing on my half completed map of minimus using the stock resource thing from a polar orbit :).

Yes I do, but the Silicates scanning still doesn't seem to work. @DMagicindicated in an earlier post that SCANSat picks which resources it will show based on the mod packs that are installed, and that he wasn't told that MKS now required Silicates as well.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't get the altitude map to show up with the palette, it's always black and white.

The button on the left of the large map "toggle color" doesn't seem to do anything, for altitude. For biome and slope, it works as I would expect.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? I couldn't find anything in the documentation that would explain this.

I've been using SCANsat forever.  The radar scan is always grayscale.  When you scan biomes, you can set the colors to various shades... Just haven't been able to change it in the current version.  I just thought it was getting worked on (it's low on my worry list).

Lot's of this info can be found in the KSPedia entry:

W58nV8d.png

P2p8kJ8.png

Also, I promise I'm not ignoring this thread, it's just that nothing will be fixed until the next major version is released, which will be a while.

The next version will be a multi-part update with lots of changes. The UI is being replaced, so I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to fix lots of various issues with the UI.

For instance, allowing for stock UI style:

j1jWaAW.png

And combining all of the various settings windows into something that makes more sense:

tg8YAUe.png

And lots of other things, like putting a lot of the settings into a separate file rather than making them save-file-specific (it gets old having to change the settings every time you start a new save), getting rid of the custom waypoint system implemented now and replacing it with the stock waypoints, overhauling the zoom map window, and making the stock toolbar button more useful.

There are lots of bugs and issues that need fixing, like the problems with narrow band resource scanning, updating the Module Manager configs for mod resources, fixing the anomaly scanner window, etc...

Lots of these changes won't be in the first version (or the second, I haven't even started on the new zoom map). The first update will be just to get the basic UI functions working, most of which are ready, it's just the little things, like some of the icons drawn over the map, or the orbit path that still need implementing (also I've been dragging my feet as of late, blame the Witcher 3 :D).

Heh, I'm happy with the settings location change.  At the start of every career I have to remember to turn this off, this on, reset my scan data, etc.

Will the new UI be paying attention to the KSP interface scaling factor?  Or have its own scaling factor built into the settings (for those of us with hi-DPI monitors)?

Hey, is the latest version of this compatible with 1.2.2? I've checked the releases page and OP only says "1.2.1 compatible", but I'm not seeing anyone else asking on this thread so I feel like I'm missing something.

2 minutes ago, MitchS said:

Hey, is the latest version of this compatible with 1.2.2? I've checked the releases page and OP only says "1.2.1 compatible", but I'm not seeing anyone else asking on this thread so I feel like I'm missing something.

It works fine in 1.2.2. 

2 hours ago, The_Lieutenant said:

I don't seem to be able to pick a mechjeb landing spot using the scansat map, like it says I can in the documentation. And when I go to settings to enable it, the option isn't there.

It was disabled because MechJeb for 1.2 was taking a while to update, and now Scansat is taking a while as it's getting lots of new stuff.  :wink: 

(Re-releasing with it is likely problematic at this point because 1.2 introduced it's own system for that type of marker, which this is trying to support.  So the code is probably in some in-between state at the moment.)

I think I set up scanSAT wrong.  My drills get the exact same concentration of a resource no matter where I am in a  biome.  Different biomes have different concentrations, but it's always exactly the same yield in the same biome.  But the resource scanners show varying concentration independent of biome boundaries.  How do I get actual concentration to match the info I'm getting from my scans?

I am using scanSAT with RSS, all of the USI mods (Kolonization etc), EPL, and other mods.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by democedes

idk if something went wonky, or if I'm just being an idiot, but none of the scanSAT modules have any functionality, they don't deploy and right clicking on them in VAB doesn't show any info on them, has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you correct it?

11 hours ago, Helbrecht said:

idk if something went wonky, or if I'm just being an idiot, but none of the scanSAT modules have any functionality, they don't deploy and right clicking on them in VAB doesn't show any info on them, has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you correct it?

By "don't deploy", do you mean while in orbit as opposed to the VAB, and do you have contract configurator also installed by any chance? If this is the case install blizzy's toolbar, this seems to be a fix (at least in 1.2.1).