[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

@TheAngryHulk What did you scan with? I can't see the SCANsat multispectral scanner in the screenshot, and the small map indicators show that nothing is active.

@Crixomix The small map has always only been available in the flight view. It is tied to the current vessel and the celestial body that vessel is orbiting. As there are no active vessels outside of the flight scene, and because the small map has no ability to change what body is shown, the small map is not available.

Edited by DMagic

On the left side of the image, there are the SCANSat icons. That is what I used to scan with. I guess I'm getting confused with whether or not I need an actual scanner on the ship because the icons make the scan look like its working without one. The scanner on the ship was an M700 Survey Scanner. I was just looking for resources on Kerbin and while I was up there I tried the SCANSat icons.

Edited by TheAngryHulk

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 5:22 PM, Kitspace said:

Is it correct that if you disable the stock resource survey system the stock survey parts functionally also become SCANSat?

Do you mean the "Disable Stock Scanning" option in Settings?  If so, then what stock parts are you referring to?  AFAIK, parts, such as the stock M700 scanner, behave like the DMagic parts when stock scanning is disabled.  I don't believe there are many scanners in this category, though.  I may be mistaken.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using this mod for years, I love it. There used to be an option to change the icon that shows up on the map to indicate anomalies, but it seems that's either no longer possible or I'm too inept to find the place to change it now. To be clear, I'm referring to the "question mark" icons that show where anomalies are on the map, I used to be able to select a different one from among several choices.

Is this option truly gone and if so, was that intentional?

Hey I came across an image on Google someone posted that was a SCANsat image of karbonite resource abundance on the Mun. I didn't know SCANsat could display that, I see all the other resources like ore, etc... But what do I do to scan for karbonite? Is it possible to do other MKS implemented resources or even KSPI-E resources as well?

@HGGundamReviews not sure yet, just reached the main menu and first checking the log...

I found this:

Desired shader compiler platform 15 is not available in shader blob

(Filename:  Line: 533)

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Edge Detect X' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Edge Detect X' - Setting to default shader.
Desired shader compiler platform 15 is not available in shader blob

(Filename:  Line: 533)

WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Grayscale Effect' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/Grayscale Effect' - Setting to default shader.
[SCANsat] Shader asset bundle loaded; using platform bundle: scan_shaders-linux.scan

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

[SCANsat] Unity skin asset bundle loaded

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

[SCANsat] Icon asset bundle loaded

[SCANsat] UI prefab bundle loaded and processed

[SCANsat] All SCANsat asset bundles loaded

@Gordon Dry Do you know if the same message appeared in KSP 1.4? That might just be a Linux problem, since I don't see the same issue in Windows using 1.5. In any event it would only affect the little anomaly viewer window shown when using the BTDT.

On 10/16/2018 at 6:31 AM, HGGundamReviews said:

Working in 1.5? 

Maybe. But I'm waiting for KSP 1.5.2 before I bother to update.

Is this compatible with... 

haha I joke, I'm not going to be that guy - though I won't lie, I cannot wait until this mod is updated.

Just wanted to say that this mod is the ONLY parts mod I use and I have done so for a fair few years now, so thank you and keep up the good work!

3 hours ago, MR L A said:

Is this compatible with... 

haha I joke, I'm not going to be that guy - though I won't lie, I cannot wait until this mod is updated.

Just wanted to say that this mod is the ONLY parts mod I use and I have done so for a fair few years now, so thank you and keep up the good work!

lol.  One of the main part mods I use as well.  Been checking for an update every day since 1.5.  Great mod!   Totally understand why he's waiting for 1.5.2

I have questions about map colors, in particular biome map colors. After reading about map colors in KSPedia, I am still confused. The reason I ask is that I want to make biome maps with a color legend added. The problem is I really don't like the current biome maps that use a "50 shades" of some color, that are available on the Wiki..."is that biome middle lesser grey...or medium grey?". Examples are Duna, Minmus and Dress. I would rather do a scan and use colors more like the Kerbin or Mun biome maps. I don't really know how to do that. Is there a way to use a Kerbin or Mun color pallet when I'm going to scan Dress?

Once I know how to do that...do I have to set the pallet before I start a biome scan, or can it be changed after the scan is completed?

Once I have a completed scan, with my preferred pallet, can that be saved as a file to open in Paint so I can create the color legend?

Thanks for any help, gang.

Just a quick report that - as far as I can tell from some preliminary tests on my end - ScanSAT works fine as-is with KSP 1.5.1.  Haven't tested with all parts and all scanning modes, but the basic (greyscale) altimetry scanner seems to do exactly what I'd expect.

@Victor3 The biome colors are limited to either using the stock biome map colors (most or all of the biome maps shown on the wiki show the stock color palettes using SCANsat), or using a simple color gradient. There is nothing you can do with SCANsat to change the stock colors.

The color gradient maps can be changed, but those tend to be less useful as you end with multiple shades of similar colors. You can also change the transparency of the biome maps, to show more or less of the terrain details. All of this can be done in the Color section of the Settings window.

As far as I know this should be working fine in 1.5. I'll wait a little longer to see if there are any more KSP releases. 

I used to be able to see slope in the instruments window and in the slope map view, but it no longer appears as an option in instrument view, and when I hover over the slope map, it displays altitude at the bottom, not slope. Was this changed?

SCANsat version 18.8 is out; get it on Space Dock.

It has been updated for KSP 1.5 and includes more Spanish translations by Fitiales.

@dlrk The slope indicator should always be present in the instruments window when you are below a certain altitude (maybe 1km). Otherwise it will only show up if you have scanned the area with the hi resolution altimetry scanner. The same is true of the date shown on the maps.

@Gordon Dry That is broadly similar to the suggestions for Remote Tech (or CommNet support), where data would be stored on the vessel until a valid connection is established. The problem with that, and with requiring that data be transmitted before it is available on the map is mostly one of data management. There is currently one big database for the scanning progress for each planet. All scanners update to this database, which keeps things simple. Keeping that data on the vessel would mean maintaining different scanning databases for each scanning vessel. In addition to being a potentially huge source of save file size bloat, it is also a lot work to save, load, and sync all of those databases. It's basically not worth the trouble of complicating the system to that degree for something that I don't think many players would actually want (I think most people would just be a little annoyed at having to micromanage all of their scanners, which is sort of opposite to how SCANsat is designed).

2 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Gordon Dry That is broadly similar to the suggestions for Remote Tech (or CommNet support), where data would be stored on the vessel until a valid connection is established. The problem with that, and with requiring that data be transmitted before it is available on the map is mostly one of data management. There is currently one big database for the scanning progress for each planet. All scanners update to this database, which keeps things simple. Keeping that data on the vessel would mean maintaining different scanning databases for each scanning vessel. In addition to being a potentially huge source of save file size bloat, it is also a lot work to save, load, and sync all of those databases. It's basically not worth the trouble of complicating the system to that degree for something that I don't think many players would actually want (I think most people would just be a little annoyed at having to micromanage all of their scanners, which is sort of opposite to how SCANsat is designed).

Speaking as a RT user who generally likes to keep things as realistic as possible, I do actually appreciate the real time scanning. As you say, it would be a bit of micromanagement too far, with no real benefit. You can always just stop yourself from looking at the map until you think you "should" do ;).