[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

20 hours ago, Syntax said:

Can someone help shed some light for me?

I thought I knew SCANsat... but then I found this, and I honestly don't get it. There is so much data here, and all the people responding are so excited about it... and I don't understand what the data means or why it pleases people or how it could be useful to me as a SCANsat user.

I know that different scanner parts have different ideal orbit altitudes, and that small adjustments to that altitude will make for more complete scans of the surface, but this... this is something more, no?

I think of myself as fairly well versed in KSP and its mechanics (orbital mechanics and game mechanics), but the significance of these graphs continues to elude me. I know some have to do with other mods that I don't use (KSPI, MKS, Karbonite, EPL), but what about the base SCANsat stuff?

For example, what are the "Ideal Zones" graphs about? I don't think I know how to even read them properly, let alone what they describe.

And what the heck is a resonance structure? (And Sidelaps?)

And why was it not important to @technogeeky to include the data pertaining to the Kerbin system? Or did he, and I just missed it?

:/

Any help with understanding all this will be much appreciated.

New to me as well.  The thread dates back to 2014 so maybe ScanSat has evolved since then.

I haven't gone interplanetary yet so my experience is deploying satellites within the Kerbin system - Kerbin, Mun, Minmus.  I use the "Best" altitude for determining the height of the orbit.  Then I use 90 - FoV to determine the minimum inclination of the orbit.  If I'm combining several scanners into 1 satellite, I combine scanners with the same "Best" altitude and use the smallest FoV value of the lot to determine the minimum inclination.

21 hours ago, Syntax said:

Can someone help shed some light for me?

Looks like they were calculating the ideal orbit for the fastest complete body scan for each scanner, to include altitude and inclination.

The Kerbin system is on page two of the thread.

There's some reading to be had on the last page, but even I don't entirely understand it, but suffice to say that the speed of the rotation of the planet can be used with an inclined orbit (ie not exactly 90 degrees) to speed up the scans.  The last page also notes that some of the data for Minmus might be incorrect or require an altitude correction to collect the last of the scan, and that the charts might have been made before Kerbins rotation was corrected for actual 6 hour days.

There is a chart link available on the last page that provides data in tables that are much easier to read.

On 6/4/2020 at 8:03 PM, Tabris said:

@HebaruSan @DMagic

any idea when the CKAN issue will be fixed? as the new version still isn't showing up.

I'm still having the same issue too.

On 6/8/2020 at 12:36 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

@DMagic

I see that you fixed the bad .version file on Github.  Any idea when you will release an updated copy so that  CKAN can install the new version?

No rush, the old one is working fine for me, but I'd like to have an idea about when I'll have to update my big install.

Thaans

You should release a CKAN-Only Point release (20.0.1CKAN) with only that one single file changed.  Don't bother making a fresh tarball for GITHUB unless CKAN insists on it, and note that this update isn't necessary for anyone who doesn't use CKAN.

@DMagic and others

A new dot release isnt needed.  Simply fix the file and replace the current zip with a new zip.  For spacedock youu would need to change the default to the previous release so that you can delete the current one, and then upload the fixed file; the CKAN bot will see it and reindex it within a few hours.

It will work since it hasn't yet been indexed; this will not work for a mod/file which has already been indexed.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 6/1/2020 at 7:18 PM, birdog357 said:

Yes in 1.8.1. Everything works fine except the big map selection drop down.

As far as I can tell this is an issue specific to moving Kerbin around. For some reason KSP just doesn't see Kerbin as a proper moon of Jool, nor does it see as a regular planet with the sun being its parent.

It's easy to fix by making a specific check for the home planet (and any of its moons) to be sure that it is included in any lists. The fix will be in the next version (soon). Does anyone know of other planet mods that re-parent Kerbin as a moon like this?

On 6/11/2020 at 12:02 PM, DMagic said:

As far as I can tell this is an issue specific to moving Kerbin around. For some reason KSP just doesn't see Kerbin as a proper moon of Jool, nor does it see as a regular planet with the sun being its parent.

It's easy to fix by making a specific check for the home planet (and any of its moons) to be sure that it is included in any lists. The fix will be in the next version (soon). Does anyone know of other planet mods that re-parent Kerbin as a moon like this?

New Horizons, Whirligig World w/ the Kerbmun Homeworld Patch, SnailsAttack's unreleased DPP, and certainly a few more I've forgotten. All of these use Kopernicus' PostSpawnOrbit to move the homeworld after the game loads to fight some of the game-breaking bugs resulting from reparenting planets, which I assume is where the problems arise.

Version 20.1 is out; get it on Space Dock.

This version fixes some issues with certain planet packs for Kopernicus, and makes some adjustments to part tech tree position and balance. There are also a few minor bug fixes.

It should also update to CKAN without issues.

13 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Version 20.1 is out; get it on Space Dock.

This version fixes some issues with certain planet packs for Kopernicus, and makes some adjustments to part tech tree position and balance. There are also a few minor bug fixes.

It should also update to CKAN without issues.

Thanks for the update.  It's always been an impressive mod which I use in every save I play.

For the first time since I started using CKAN years ago, a CKAN dialog appeared after I updated asking to remove the GameData\SCANsat\PluginData directory.  Do you recommend removing it?

Edit: Sorry - KSP 1.8.1 JNSQ install.  I note that the only file in that directory is a settings.cfg file.

Edited by Brigadier
Additional information

@Brigadier The PluginData directory is for the settings file. The file itself isn't included with the download package so that you don't overwrite your existing settings.

In general you can probably leave that directory alone when upgrading. When there are new settings entries included in an update then they should be seamlessly integrated into the existing file.

8 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@Brigadier The PluginData directory is for the settings file. The file itself isn't included with the download package so that you don't overwrite your existing settings.

In general you can probably leave that directory alone when upgrading. When there are new settings entries included in an update then they should be seamlessly integrated into the existing file.

Thank you.  File retained.

I found an issue with one of the new models and old craft files.

The BTDT module, SCANSAT_Scanner32 has issues with older craft files.

Every old craft with the older BTDT antenna, the long blue one, had to be manually edited out and replaced with the new model in order to not have the game complain about a locked/missing part.

Annoying but manageable.

I actually liked the old model.  On rovers I mounted it like a spoiler.  Can you bring this one back as a new model renamed whatever?

Some feedback on the Scansat map display:

The previous version let you know if you were looking at a LO or HI resolution scan, or a MULTI scan.

That seemed handy.

Its no longer there.  Any chance to put it back someplace on the screen?

@SkiRich I'll look into the BTDT issues. There could be something wrong with the config file for the old version. If it is loading okay then you should still be able to access it in the VAB by searching or filtering in sandbox or if you have already unlocked it. And you can always edit the old config.

The big map readout indicator things were starting to get unwieldy with so many scan types. But I like them, too, I will see if there is some other way to fill that function.

@royying Do they show up as unknown objects in the BTDT window? Or just not at all?

It will show as unknown until you have used the robotic arm thing with them.

@Tonka Crash Thanks for the feedback. I will look into attach nodes, that makes sense for several of the parts.

Edited by DMagic

Thanks for looking in to the big map.

For the old BTDT its just not there at all.  New one is fine.

Its because the name is the same, Scanner32.  I can fiddle with the config to make it appear and use it going forward, I just have a ton of craft files to edit.  At the least, they load and I can just delete the old unit for now.

If you plan on putting the old parts into an add on then let me know so I wont go through the effort of finding/editing config files an potentially stepping on the next version.

I kinda liked some of the old models, they fit differently and had different animations.  It would be nice to have them in a plugin.

Some more feedback:

In a save game, if I have already done a MULTI, HI and LO scan of a body using the previous scanner models (I can see the maps painted fine), then this version of scansat should acknowledge that and repaint the maps showing the already scanned areas.

Contracts should also be adjusted so they dont ask for one of those scans again on a body that has been scanned by a previous model.  It hasnt come up but just in case its not programmed in yet.

Also, those older model antenna are no longer in scansat, but they are showing fine on the crafts in flight above the bodies.

They should still function I assume, I havent turned them off, but they dont seem to scan anymore.  Any problem with save games with crafts in flight with older models?

@SkiRich I'm not sure what you mean about the BTDT part name, the new version should be scansat-exomars-1, the old one is SCANsat_Scanner32, and KSP confirms that it's loading both parts at startup. I'll have to load up a save file with the old BTDT to see if I can replicate what's going on.

Scan data is not tied to a certain scanner part. The data is stored independently of parts and vessels. So if you've scanned something for low res altimetry, for instance, it will always remain scanned for that (unless you reset the data), regardless of what happens to the vessel or part that did the scanning.

Contracts have been adjusted to account for the new scanner parts and types.

I believe that all currently running scanners will need to be reactivated when upgrading from SCANsat version 18 to version 20. You would have to load the vessel, click on the scanner part, and restart the scanner (you may have to click 'Stop Scan' then 'Start Scan' to activate it). I will add a note about this in the first post and release posts.

@royying The green stones are the small surface features, right? SCANsat doesn't actually show the smaller features (small being what KSP considers a small feature, not necessarily based on its size, but a factor of its in-game definition). I think there were too many of them when I was testing so they just covered the scanning window with icons and made it hard to scroll through them in the BTDT window.

Thanks, for the clarifications.

I can see the parts in the directory structure but they dont come up in the editors and the editors complain the parts are missing or locked.

I believe I understand why now.  The CFGs say hidden.

I believe you wrote in your changelog that you now properly hid old parts.  Well I can confirm, they are quite hidden.  How can I unhide them?

Found the code saying ...

I edited the old cfg files to have the parts show up.  No more VAB complaints.

I can confirm you need to stop and restart scans of old parts on crafts in flightto have them work again.

Any issue with using older parts with the new ScanSat? I really like some of the old stuff.

PART
{
	name			= SCANsat_Scanner32
	module			= Part
	author			= damny

MODEL
	{
		model		= SCANsat/Parts/BTDT/BTDT
		scale		= 0.5, 0.5, 0.5
	}

// attachment rules: [stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision]
	attachRules		= 0,1,0,0,0
	node_attach		= 0.0, 0.05, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0

TechHidden	 	= True
	TechRequired		= Unresearcheable

Edited by SkiRich

I seem to be having a problem.
I am running 2 modules of the Scansat, both state their best orbit height is 70km, I am in a polar orbit around kerbin.
One side gets scanned nice and neatly, but as I swing over to the opposite side, the "hi-Res" and "Multi-Spec" indicators goes from green, to orange, and no scanning on the maps are done.
Specifically the South Pole is not being scanned, eventhough I am flying over it cleanly just as I am with the North Pole.

The orbit is in a 72km Apo and 72km Peri

Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by KimTheKerman

13 hours ago, KimTheKerman said:

I seem to be having a problem.
I am running 2 modules of the Scansat, both state their best orbit height is 70km, I am in a polar orbit around kerbin.
One side gets scanned nice and neatly, but as I swing over to the opposite side, the "hi-Res" and "Multi-Spec" indicators goes from green, to orange, and no scanning on the maps are done.
Specifically the South Pole is not being scanned, eventhough I am flying over it cleanly just as I am with the North Pole.

The orbit is in a 72km Apo and 72km Peri

Am I doing something wrong?

Hi Kim, the side not being scanning is the dark side ? Maybe yours modules have no enough electricity to continue the scan ?