[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Might I suggest something:

A series of visual scanners specifically for mounting on planes and rovers, as well as some missions specifically for them (scan a specific location.)

The first one would be an early visual scanner with low resolution black and white visual with anomaly detection.  The second would be high resolution color visual with biome, high resolution altimeter and anomaly identification. 

They would both require being under 12Km to work and would have an ideal altitude of 5Km making them impractical for both full planet scanning, but great for scouting an area or for attaching on a lander so you know what's in the immediate area when you land.

Edited by Ruedii
Note full sensor array on the high quality sensor set.

Dear DMagic, 

Since the very last update from 20.1. to 20.2, I can't see any Ground Tracks anymore (KSP 1.10), any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help! 

EDIT: it seems only the old parts don't give the tracks anymore, the visual scanner I placed recently around Mun does show the track.

Edited by VoidSquid

@One eyed Smile @TaintedLion Does this problem happen with Kopernicus? I've seen something like it before, it is related to how Kopernicus unloads the height maps for bodies that aren't nearby. SCANsat forces it to load when a map is being drawn, but I think there are some cases where it doesn't always work right. 

Switching the map to another body, if one is available, will usually fix the problem.

@RealKerbal3x Hi res scans always "overwrite" low res scans when the map is being drawn. The low res scanner still functions, though, for the purposes of science and contracts. You can see the low res scan progress in the new big map scanning coverage indicators.

9 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Hi res scans always "overwrite" low res scans when the map is being drawn. The low res scanner still functions, though, for the purposes of science and contracts. You can see the low res scan progress in the new big map scanning coverage indicators

OK, so if I understand you correctly, even if I do a low-res scan after a hi-res scan the hi-res scan will still show up. Great, thanks for the prompt response :)

The updates to SCANsat look awesome! 
I'm just trying to get my head around the different parts and what they do...If I have high res scanners in place around a planet, is there any need to have the equivalent low res scanners?

Edit: 
Also, do the scanners that require the surface to be lit, continue to draw power while over the night side?

Edited by katateochi

1 hour ago, katateochi said:

The updates to SCANsat look awesome! 
I'm just trying to get my head around the different parts and what they do...If I have high res scanners in place around a planet, is there any need to have the equivalent low res scanners?

Edit: 
Also, do the scanners that require the surface to be lit, continue to draw power while over the night side?

some scanners do require that the planet be lit otherwise you will get blank lines/stripes and yeap as far as i can tell they do draw power constantly no matter the situation

7 hours ago, DMagic said:

Does this problem happen with Kopernicus?

I dont have any mods related to Kopernicus. But here's my mod list. https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f7s7qiif08ipww/8585.txt?dl=0

I remember in version 20.1 or 20 the big map worked fine with my mod list. So maybe it has to do with the changes of the update?? Or could it be a conflict between scansat and other mods?

I upgraded Scansat using CKAN for my 1.81 game and now all the craft that have Scansat scanners say they are missing part Scansat.scanner, and although they load in the VAB they won't load for EL building. Do I need to roll back or do I need to provide a log? Thanks in advance.

I am not sure if this is an MFD or a scansat issue whenever I use the feature within ERS rover I always get purple screens if someone could help would be greatly appreciated I am using ksp  1.9.1

ITS6UhB.jpg

Edited by Virtualgenius

Hello! I absolutely love the new update, I'm getting absolutely horrible performance with it though. Loading into scenes I noticed is taking much longer and absolutely kills the game and makes it freeze super hard, when loaded in it also takes longer for the game to settle and unfreeze itself. For context, I am running a full RP1/RO install on KSP 1.8.1 and upgraded from v18.14. If it helps, RP1 added the visual scanners to some cameras and I attempted to use them before I realized I had to update scansat, perhaps this corrupted the save somewhat? Anyway, I tried deleting all map data but still performs badly. I wasn't able to find the output_log in my ksp directory for some reason, let me know if there's another specific log that you would need and I'll try to help as best as I can. Thanks again!

On 7/10/2020 at 2:30 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

OK, so if I understand you correctly, even if I do a low-res scan after a hi-res scan the hi-res scan will still show up. Great, thanks for the prompt response :)

Wow.  First time on the forum and I go to the more recent posts to ask a question and it has just been answered already.  I need to go to Vegas now and bet some money.  Thanks!  Very cool mod, gritty and keeps it more real.

On 7/20/2020 at 12:13 PM, RurouniDonut said:

Hello! I absolutely love the new update, I'm getting absolutely horrible performance with it though. Loading into scenes I noticed is taking much longer and absolutely kills the game and makes it freeze super hard, when loaded in it also takes longer for the game to settle and unfreeze itself. For context, I am running a full RP1/RO install on KSP 1.8.1 and upgraded from v18.14. If it helps, RP1 added the visual scanners to some cameras and I attempted to use them before I realized I had to update scansat, perhaps this corrupted the save somewhat? Anyway, I tried deleting all map data but still performs badly. I wasn't able to find the output_log in my ksp directory for some reason, let me know if there's another specific log that you would need and I'll try to help as best as I can. Thanks again!

Just a shot in the dark but I had vaguely similar issues and for me the culprit appears to have been RemoteTech.  No issues since moving to RealAntennas (and starting over basically as I had all the wrong antennas throughout the Kerbol system :P ).  But I also changed a few other things so it may not have been the RT; just throwing out that fuzzy data point

Edited by darthgently

I'm curious about the particulars about how a satellite scan gets "more detail" if rovers with the right parts are involved.  How much more detail?  Does the detail only apply to the area a rover roves in?  How big an area around the rover gets more detail?  Would any landed vessel work, or does it have to be a wheeled rover?

Edited by darthgently

17 hours ago, darthgently said:

Wow.  First time on the forum and I go to the more recent posts to ask a question and it has just been answered already.  I need to go to Vegas now and bet some money.  Thanks!  Very cool mod, gritty and keeps it more real.

Just a shot in the dark but I had vaguely similar issues and for me the culprit appears to have been RemoteTech.  No issues since moving to RealAntennas (and starting over basically as I had all the wrong antennas throughout the Kerbol system :P ).  But I also changed a few other things so it may not have been the RT; just throwing out that fuzzy data point

I'm actually using RA myself as well :l

Hey all!  I am running into an issue with my rather heavily modded KSP RO, RP-1 and RSS install. I have read through your patch notes and the only thing i can think that might be causing this is your version 20.0 which says you cant revert back to before this version once you have run it on your save, the issue here is however, when I update to version 20.2 or 20.1(haven't tried 20.0 itself) my game freezes up my PC upon loading into my save file, when i roll back to 18.14, it is perfectly fine.  I went through and checked to make sure it was indeed Scansat that was causing this by leaving my install the way it was and only rolling forwards and back the versions of Scansat which I suspected caused the issue. 

Now that that is all said and done, would it be the V 20.0 that is causing this with its incompatibility to roll back?  I haven't actually been able to get into my save file with a V 20.0+ Scan-sat file, so i dont believe it will have applied itself to the sfs file yet, correct me if I am wrong.  

Overall I guess I am just looking and seeing if this has come up before and addressed?  or is this just some bizarre case I am coming across?  

Thanks in advance to any help I might receive!  

Absolutely loving the new update! The parts look amazing (as Nertea's stuff always does), and the new scanning types open up so many possibilities!
One small thing though: the dish-style low-res altimeter (R-3B) and wing-like high-res altimeter (SAR-C) feel like they should have attachment nodes on their undersides. Is this something to look to in a future release?

Addendum: I've noticed the part weights seem a bit... high. Both the entry-level altimeter and multispectral scanner (0.15t) weigh more than any stock probe core except the HECS2 (0.2t) and the 2.5m inline (0.5t), meaning placing either one on a probe can severely unbalance its center of mass.

@DMagic Question: is there any difference in functionality between the various sizes of hi-res visual scanners? Apart from their size, mass and electric charge use they all seem to do exactly the same thing, seemingly making it a no-brainer to use the smallest one to maximise craft dV. Is there something I'm missing?

On 8/5/2020 at 2:44 AM, Alex33212 said:

Addendum: I've noticed the part weights seem a bit... high. Both the entry-level altimeter and multispectral scanner (0.15t) weigh more than any stock probe core except the HECS2 (0.2t) and the 2.5m inline (0.5t), meaning placing either one on a probe can severely unbalance its center of mass.

Agreed...the SAR-L antenna also seems a bit massive at 2.0t. It's a huge part when deployed but surely it shouldn't be a full two tons?

9 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@DMagic Question: is there any difference in functionality between the various sizes of hi-res visual scanners? Apart from their size, mass and electric charge use they all seem to do exactly the same thing, seemingly making it a no-brainer to use the smallest one to maximise craft dV. Is there something I'm missing?

Agreed...the SAR-L antenna also seems a bit massive at 2.0t. It's a huge part when deployed but surely it shouldn't be a full two tons?

I wrote a small MM patch that multiplies the overweight parts' masses by 0.1 (skipping the high-res visual scanners and the BTDT scanner, which all have reasonable weights):

Spoiler

@PART[scansat-multi-*]:Final
{
	//multiply mass of all multispectral scanners by 0.1
	@mass *= 0.1
}
@PART[scansat-radar-*]:Final
{
	//multiply mass of all low-res altimeters by 0.1
	@mass *= 0.1
}
@PART[scansat-sar-*]:Final