[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

11 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Visual requires sun light as a matter fact.

So what do you do then to solve my problem? Just wait for a solar year on Moho so the tilt goes the other way? Am I right that that solution will work?

On 10/2/2020 at 4:08 PM, nsgallup said:

So what do you do then to solve my problem? Just wait for a solar year on Moho so the tilt goes the other way? Am I right that that solution will work?

Yes, pretty much impossible to get sunlight on Moho any other way...

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

hi! i'm new to scansat so had a quick question: what's the difference between the R-3B and the R-EO-1? it says they both scan for "Altimetry LoRes". Only difference I can see is the ideal altitude? Is one better than the other?

thanks!

You can also consider how much power they use and how much they cost, and what are the other altitudes that other equipment on the craft will require.  The SCANSat equipment seems to divvy up in to high altitude "passing through" survey category, and a low altitude (deeper in the gravity well) more suitable to a more focused interest where a lander and rover might be involved.  I've never found the distinction all that useful personally and don't do the "passing through" thing and don't care if I have to start at a high altitude so I just use whatever is available that works best for me.  I send in one sat, start at the highest altitude required by equipment on board in a polar orbit, then drop down as required to get scans for other equipment.  When all this is done, I put the sat into a highly elliptical/vertical polar orbit with the planet at the bottom or top foci and the other foci way north or way south and use it as a solar system wide relay  (because I put big long range antennas on it in prep, or added them later using KIS/KAS). 

I mention all that because you might want to consider the uses of the polar sat once the scanning is done and polar long range relay for any equatorial sats, and planetary bases/craft on the surface when the polar sat is in view, is a common re-purpose of a scanner sat.  And this may also affect what scanning equipment you choose given weight and cost etc.

9 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

A couple quick q's, I looked in the wiki but didn't see the answer: 

1) how to do you delete waypoints from the small map? 
2) how do you select a waypoint as a mechjeb landing target from the small map?

thanks for a point in the right direction!

1) Me too.  

2) The only ways I've found is to a) type in the LAT and LNG into mechjeb for land at coordinates.  I get the coordinates using the small scansat window and right clicking on the spot (right click zooms in and centers the window on that spot).  The LAT/LNG displayed at top of small window are the center of the image, so zoom in until it is accurate enough for you.  It will certainly be more accurate than mechjeb (100m at best).  Then there is b), use the "click on map" button in mechjeb, then click on the planet in map view as close as you can to the spot, which is going to pretty far off probably, then adjust it using the fields and arrows in the target coordinates for mechjeb and using the target indicator (which appears after you select target by clicking on planet in map view) in the small scansat window as a guide.

Edited by darthgently

8 minutes ago, darthgently said:

1) Me too.  

2) The only ways I've found is to a) type in the LAT and LNG into mechjeb for land at coordinates.  I get the coordinates using the small scansat window and right clicking on the spot (right click zooms in and centers the window on that spot).  The LAT/LNG displayed at top of small window are the center of the image, so zoom in until it is accurate enough for you.  It will certainly be more accurate than mechjeb (100m at best).  Then there is b), click on the planet in map view as close as you can to the spot, which is going to pretty far off probably, then adjust it using the fields and arrows in the target coordinates for mechjeb and using the target indicator in the small scansat window as a guide.

Thanks for the quick reply, and I can see how your way does work.

However I'm wondering about the button in the small scansat window (shown below) that specifically says "Set mechjeb landing target". However when I click it, nothing happens :/

scansat.jpg

1 minute ago, dresoccer4 said:

Thanks for the quick reply, and I can see how your way does work.

However I'm wondering about the button in the small scansat window (shown below) that specifically says "Set mechjeb landing target". However when I click it, nothing happens :/

scansat.jpg

Yes, I've pondered that button many times.  Welcome to the world of KSP.  Make sure you F5/quicksave a lot.  And get to know various was the save files are stored, you can back them up at the command line just like any file.  The timestamps are the only real "index".  The .../saves/default/Backup directory will also save your bacon on occasion.

Edited by darthgently

hi - another question from me. Currently I'm clicking the "Main Map" button, but no window pops up (as shown in screenshot). The big map and zoom map work fine.Is there maybe a setting I could have accidentally hit, or any common reason this occurs for people? Should I post a log?

(on latest KSP and Scansat version).

EDIT: could it be possible the window is appearing off screen somehow? i recently changed resolutions from 1440p to 1080p... :blink:. Is there a setting for window location? just brainstorming here...

kerbal.jpg

Edited by dresoccer4

3 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

hi - another question from me. Currently I'm clicking the "Main Map" button, but no window pops up (as shown in screenshot). The big map and zoom map work fine.Is there maybe a setting I could have accidentally hit, or any common reason this occurs for people? Should I post a log?

(on latest KSP and Scansat version).

EDIT: could it be possible the window is appearing off screen somehow? i recently changed resolutions from 1440p to 1080p... :blink:. Is there a setting for window location? just brainstorming here...

I did it!! My theory was correct. I went into Settings ->  General -> Reset Window Positions and, bam, the window reappeared. thanks everyone for letting be bounce ideas off :lol:

Hi - I have another question. I've noticed the colors are behaving oddly. For example in the image below, I'm doing a high resolution visual scan @ 80km altitude. The right-click menu says I'm at the ideal altitude. However the main map is either flashing orange and green or, in this case, solid orange. 

I read the manual and (it's a little confusing) the gist I got from it is flashing green and orange means you're below altitude whereas solid orange means you're too high. Neither of which seem to make sense in this situation. Thanks for an explanation! 

kerb.jpg

7 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

Hi - I have another question. I've noticed the colors are behaving oddly. For example in the image below, I'm doing a high resolution visual scan @ 80km altitude. The right-click menu says I'm at the ideal altitude. However the main map is either flashing orange and green or, in this case, solid orange. 

I read the manual and (it's a little confusing) the gist I got from it is flashing green and orange means you're below altitude whereas solid orange means you're too high. Neither of which seem to make sense in this situation. Thanks for an explanation! 

kerb.jpg

Is it a scanner that requires daylight?  I'm not certain but I think if the sat is on the dark side and the scanner requires daylight then it may do that.  Never noticed.  I just let it scan and go run some other missions for a few weeks until it is done.  Patience is the key

Kerbal Alarm Clock can be a great friend when scanning.  Just ballpark when the sat will need attention and set a time based alarm

Edited by darthgently

5 hours ago, darthgently said:

Is it a scanner that requires daylight?  I'm not certain but I think if the sat is on the dark side and the scanner requires daylight then it may do that.  Never noticed.  I just let it scan and go run some other missions for a few weeks until it is done.  Patience is the key

Kerbal Alarm Clock can be a great friend when scanning.  Just ballpark when the sat will need attention and set a time based alarm

interesting, maybe it's flashing because its requiring daylight. i'll experiment and see if that's the case. cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running into a little problem while messing with interstellar.  I realise SCANsat is probably not the cause, but this i my first port of call.  I'm still running Kerbal 1.8.1, and SCANsat 19.1.  Muy resource settings are: biome lock OFF, narrowband OFF, disable stock scanning ON.

The problem I'm having is the same as 'Olorin' back in March on the old topic but as far as I could see, he went unanswered.

I can't see Uraninite on the SCANsat map resource lists, and on the surface scanner it's registering something as there's an emply gap, but no name or percentage displayed.  Every other resource seems to be showing from MKS, and interstellar, just this one.

I've just done a reinstall of the latest (for my version) SCANsat, CRP, and interstellar. to see if I could right the issue, but no luck.  I've uninstalled all the other mods that add resources that I could find, to see if there was a conflict.

I've run out of ideas.  I was hoping someone here knew what was happening.

Many thanks

Nevermind I sorted it, but thought I'd share the fix for anyone else that runs into this.  My SCANsat, and Interstellar were both uptodate versions.  Interstellar has a resource definition file for Uraninite that seems to conflict somewhere.  I removed that 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\WarpPlugin\ResourceConfigs\Uraninite.cfg' and it seems to be working fine now. 

Before I removed that file, the only body where I saw Uraninite was on Minmus, and it was to the same specs as in that removed file.

Many thanks

Edited by syngen

Hello everyone! 

I apologize in advance if this issue has already been discussed, but for some reason I don't have SCANsat contracts in the contracts list. I am using the latest version of the Сontract Сonfigurator. What is the reason, please tell me