[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Is anyone else having the issue that the ScanSAT vessel location (as well as mouse and waypoint) are significantly offset to the East and North in detail view? By offset I mean that in the large world view it shows my vessel landed where it actually has landed, but in the detail view (the one you get from clicking on the magnifying glass or right clicking the world view) my vessel shows up significantly farther to the right and up on the map from where it actually is. For example, having landed on Tylo inside Tycho crater near the south west part of the crater you can see my vessel correctly placed on the world map, but incorrectly outside of the crater in the detail view where it shows my vessel position outside the crater on the east side and a bit north of the crater center.

aXSp7b0.png

Similarly, when I'm in the detail view and click on the waypoint icon I get a waypoint tag to move around, but it's not colocated with the mouse pointer - instead it's significantly farther north in the view than the mouse pointer (not the same East + North offset as I'm seeing between the correct world view and the incorrect detail view).

I'm running 1.12.3 and frankly a lot of mods, but no mods that mess with maps or celestial bodies AFAIK. 

Edited by schlosrat

I've used SCANsat quite a bit and have seen it misbehave, as do all mods, and KSP, at some point, but I've never seen that one.  Have you tried going to the Tracking Center and back?  Exiting the game and then back in?  It smells like a temporary glitch that might clear with some level of reload of the scene or game.  But that's all I got

12 hours ago, darthgently said:

I've used SCANsat quite a bit and have seen it misbehave, as do all mods, and KSP, at some point, but I've never seen that one.  Have you tried going to the Tracking Center and back?  Exiting the game and then back in?  It smells like a temporary glitch that might clear with some level of reload of the scene or game.  But that's all I got

Thanks @darthgently. I've been dealing with it for quite some time now, including numerous restarts of the game, changing scenes, visiting the tracking center, etc.

I  think the next steps are try it as the sole mod in a game to see if it misbehaves all on its own, then if not start adding my mods back in until I discover the interaction that's provoking this. If others are not seeing this in 1.12.3, then it seems most likely to be a mod incompatibility between ScanSAT and something else I'm running.

2 hours ago, schlosrat said:

I  think the next steps are try it as the sole mod in a game to see if it misbehaves all on its own, then if not start adding my mods back in until I discover the interaction that's provoking this. If others are not seeing this in 1.12.3, then it seems most likely to be a mod incompatibility between ScanSAT and something else I'm running.

Does it happen at all altitudes for all bodies?  Every body has an altitude where at or below it the KSP internal reference frame rotates with the body surface and above it is non-rotationing and less predictable (but the y-axis always aligns with the poles of the body, iirc).  For Kerbin it is 100km.  I wonder if SCANsat has a glitch where it gets the reference frame confused  for some bodies because it has the wrong altitude for that body or something under some corner case.  That might produce behavior like this but I'd think it would be even worse symptoms if so. 

Are you running any Kopernicus based mods that change the size of the stock planets?  That could potentially confuse a mod also I suppose if it relied partially  on hardcoded stock planet data, but not always.

If you decide to completely uninstall / reinstall SCANsat ask in this forum how to preserve your previous scan data, I recall there is a way to do that.  And of course, do all this after making a backup of your entire install.

But I'm shotgunning inside a black box in the dark.  Maybe someone else here will have better ideas for you!

13 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

Is there a way to reduce exposure when painting overlay on the celestial bodies?

In Minmus, when I set “biome map overlay”, exposure is too shiny on the bright side of the moon and I can’t see anything.

If you dig around in the settings on one of the tabs you can set the colors and such for the overlays.  It takes a bit of playing around to understand how the different overlays work, opacity levels, and color gradients that work well, but that is the approach that seems to work

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Is this Mod compatible with the latest version of KSP?  I have tried downloading this several times but never seem to see it work.

Yes, try installing it with CKAN or from a different repository (Github, spacedock)

• 5 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, JewelShisen said:

CKAN says it is not updated to the latest KSP. It lists max game version as 1.10.8

That's OK. It is still the latest value and will work if you tell CKAN to install it anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, WeirdCulture said:

hmm What did I wrong here? Why it is incomplete? 99% of 75%

MYcGKiI.png

It takes time. 75% was likely enough to fulfill a contract but it could take awhile to complete. If your orbit is not polar enough or your orbital period is cursed with respect to the day/night period (for daytime scans) or your batteries don't last through the shadow (for scans that work on dark side) it may never reach 100%

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

It takes time. 75% was likely enough to fulfill a contract but it could take awhile to complete. If your orbit is not polar enough or your orbital period is cursed with respect to the day/night period (for daytime scans) or your batteries don't last through the shadow (for scans that work on dark side) it may never reach 100%

And if your altitude is above the max altitude for the instrument to work.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:54 AM, LTQ90 said:

And if your altitude is above the max altitude for the instrument to work.

Another issue I've stumbled on is tweaking the orbit to get a good ground track and not noticing I've put one of the apses out of scanner range. 

On 6/29/2022 at 4:24 PM, WeirdCulture said:

as you yee I've allready scanned 99% of Kerbin, 

no5aDjl.png

But... I've just loaded the game, and the contract was now complete :D.

The contracts typically state a percentage for the scan to meet the contract. I think 75% is standard as I can't recall seeing another value

22 hours ago, darthgently said:

Another issue I've stumbled on is tweaking the orbit to get a good ground track and not noticing I've put one of the apses out of scanner range. 

The contracts typically state a percentage for the scan to meet the contract. I think 75% is standard as I can't recall seeing another value

Hi, yes  it s usually 75 - 90 % limit to finish contract or receiving full sciences, but as OCD player i just can't stay with a big little 99 % so i spend a little time playing with the brown and blue equatorial markers in the map showing  the distance you cover while the body is revolutionning around himself. Most of time the best for me is to go just under the max altitude and decrease periapsis, wait for a long time and come back later to see if it s complete.

On 7/2/2022 at 9:08 AM, LTQ90 said:

Hi, yes  it s usually 75 - 90 % limit to finish contract or receiving full sciences, but as OCD player i just can't stay with a big little 99 % so i spend a little time playing with the brown and blue equatorial markers in the map showing  the distance you cover while the body is revolutionning around himself. Most of time the best for me is to go just under the max altitude and decrease periapsis, wait for a long time and come back later to see if it s complete.

You should definitely go for 100% as you get science points for the data, not just contract pay.  You just need to collect and return it transmit the science from each scanner. You probably already knew this, but others reading may not have

• 3 weeks later...

嗨,我非常喜欢你的模组,但我想知道如何使用本地化文件?我无法在游戏中更改模组的语言

Hi, I really like your mod, but I was wondering how to use localization files? I can't change the mod's language in the game

Edited by Vanamonde
Please post in English when not using the International subforums.

• 2 weeks later...

ScanSat mapping seems to work well in 1.12.3, however I do not see a way to get science from analysis of visual low-res map. If I am not mistaken, visual low-res scanner is only on the multispectral scanners and they only have the option to analyze multispectral scan. Does that mean that it is not possible to obtain science from visual low-res scan or did I miss something?

17 hours ago, Xilexio said:

ScanSat mapping seems to work well in 1.12.3, however I do not see a way to get science from analysis of visual low-res map. If I am not mistaken, visual low-res scanner is only on the multispectral scanners and they only have the option to analyze multispectral scan. Does that mean that it is not possible to obtain science from visual low-res scan or did I miss something?

Multi spectral includes several scans. Click the triangles in the part pop-up.   Lots of info there including altitude requirements for the scan to proceed

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 7:30 AM, darthgently said:

Multi spectral includes several scans. Click the triangles in the part pop-up.   Lots of info there including altitude requirements for the scan to proceed

This was not exactly what I needed. I was searching for one button for each individual scan type to gain more science. When I checked in science archives, there was only the "Visual Scan while in space high over Kerbin" position, without it being split into high-resolution and low-resolution one. Does that mean that one cannot gain science from one of these scan types?

1 hour ago, Xilexio said:

This was not exactly what I needed. I was searching for one button for each individual scan type to gain more science. When I checked in science archives, there was only the "Visual Scan while in space high over Kerbin" position, without it being split into high-resolution and low-resolution one. Does that mean that one cannot gain science from one of these scan types?

You didn't see buttons in the part pop-up for "analyze results" and "transmit data" (or science)?  I have no idea how it shows up in the archives, never looked

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 5:30 PM, schlosrat said:

Is anyone else having the issue that the ScanSAT vessel location (as well as mouse and waypoint) are significantly offset to the East and North in detail view? By offset I mean that in the large world view it shows my vessel landed where it actually has landed, but in the detail view (the one you get from clicking on the magnifying glass or right clicking the world view) my vessel shows up significantly farther to the right and up on the map from where it actually is. For example, having landed on Tylo inside Tycho crater near the south west part of the crater you can see my vessel correctly placed on the world map, but incorrectly outside of the crater in the detail view where it shows my vessel position outside the crater on the east side and a bit north of the crater center.

aXSp7b0.png

Similarly, when I'm in the detail view and click on the waypoint icon I get a waypoint tag to move around, but it's not colocated with the mouse pointer - instead it's significantly farther north in the view than the mouse pointer (not the same East + North offset as I'm seeing between the correct world view and the incorrect detail view).

I'm running 1.12.3 and frankly a lot of mods, but no mods that mess with maps or celestial bodies AFAIK. 

After initially replying to you that I'd never seen this problem, my game is now doing exactly this.  No idea.  Seemed to fine until it wasn't

Edited by darthgently