[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Bizobinator said:

I put that anomaly BTDT scanner on a rover, but it said "too high", even though it was operating on the surface? Have I done something wrong?

You didn't do anything wrong. That is a bug. A very old bug.  It goes by altitude from sea level instead of terrain.  If you are in a rover you will see any anomalies as they will be the only thing that doesn't look the same.  Like a monolith or an arch or something.

One of the advanced SCANsat telescopes will find anomalies from orbit later in the game if you want to do that

Edited by darthgently
Rover, not River

15 hours ago, darthgently said:

You didn't do anything wrong. That is a bug. A very old bug.  It goes by altitude from sea level instead of terrain.  If you are in a rover you will see any anomalies as they will be the only thing that doesn't look the same.  Like a monolith or an arch or something.

One of the advanced SCANsat telescopes will find anomalies from orbit later in the game if you want to do that

Oh. How accurately does the satellite pinpoint the anomalies (with the "?" on the SCANsat map)? In vanilla, isn't KerbNet pretty inaccurate?

Even though it's bugged, does it still highlight where the anomaly is nearby? Or point so dingbats like me can find them? xD

Edited by Bizobinator

16 minutes ago, Bizobinator said:

Oh. How accurately does the satellite pinpoint the anomalies (with the "?" on the SCANsat map)? In vanilla, isn't KerbNet pretty inaccurate?

Even though it's bugged, does it still highlight where the anomaly is nearby? Or point so dingbats like me can find them? xD

I can't answer all your questions. It has been awhile.  But the SCANsat map has nothing to do with the kerbnet map. From what I recall, it is quite accurate 

Edited by darthgently

1 hour ago, Bizobinator said:

It marks the exact location. And as drathgently said you need the telescopes to find the "?" but the BTDT to have info of the anomalies (Like "Monolith 01", "Mun Arch 3", etc).
In my case if I'm not using a ship I put the coordinates of the anomaly from the SCANsat map in the Bon Boyage module of a rover, and when I went back to it the anomaly is just there or a few hundred meters away at most

4 minutes ago, Bizobinator said:

Oki-dokes!

So, does the BTDT module do anything? :(

Yes, as I said the telescope marks with a "?" the anomalies on the map but it doesn't tell you what "?" is, the BTDT module does that.

For example if you scan Kerbin only with the telescope, in the north pole you'll see a "?" and if you hover your mouse above the question mark it'll say "unknown". But if you scan the map with the telescope and the BTDT (Either at the same time or not) when you hover your mouse hover the "?" in the north pole it should say "Crashed UFO" IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I've been looking for what the dots and graph in the middle of the orbit overlay mean. I can't seem to find any explanation. Can someone explain what everything means? It's really confusing. It would seriously help me out to know how to read the overlay ofc.

11 minutes ago, beez1717 said:

So, I've been looking for what the dots and graph in the middle of the orbit overlay mean. I can't seem to find any explanation. Can someone explain what everything means? It's really confusing. It would seriously help me out to know how to read the overlay ofc.

Don't get what orbit overlay is. This?https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/wiki/Advanced-Scanning;-How-To-Find-A-Good-Orbit

34 minutes ago, ssd21345 said:

Thanks! This explains things and I'm realizing I'm having good orbits without realizing it! That's such good news. I now know how to analyze my orbit to make sure I get guarantied coverage. I'll make sure to keep that webpage pinned until I have memorized it.

Hey.

I haven't played KSP for years and recently downloaded one of my favourite mods (SCANSat).
Seems like the instruments got an overhaul, but my old vessels are still OK with the old props.

Is there a way to continue using the old ones or I need to adapt with the new instruments ?

don't know if this was already asked (and I'm not about to go through 128 pages to find out) but does this add the telescopes like on the Learjet observatory, Galileo, KAO and SOFIA? or parts for space telescopes such as splitzer and the James Webb Space telescope?

Edited by Kerbal410

11 minutes ago, Caerfinon said:

not really. Some parts look like camera lenses, but not at the scale you're imagining. Mostly just parts for scanning planets from orbit (or the surface).

I see. kind of hoping to see parts for airborne operations of this sort of thing. is there any mod for that? 

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, rottielover said:

Hey while I'm here does anyone know if SCANsat will work on the latest update that just hit?

Scansat has been working fine for me in KSP 1.12.3. The new 1.12.4 bug fixes don't seem to touch the core game engine and are unlikely (*) to break mods.

(*) Unlikely, but not guaranteed. Someone has to be an early adopter. It won't be me because nothing reported to be in 1.12.4 matters to me; I'm beyond the tutorials and always use Kerbal Alarm Clock instead of the stock alarms.

Hi! I found an issue with scans with the light requirement. It always looks at the position of Kerbol to determine which part of the planet is under light, which can cause annoying issues in planet mods adding other stars. This bug can be reproduced with many planet packs. Is there any possibility to fix it? Thank you!

am I missing some thing with the scanning.

I have disabled the stock scanning as I like to make my life harder :P and one thing I have noticed is even without a signal to KSC I can still see the scanning update on the Scansat maps.

I am sure wayyyy back on an older version if the scanning satalite lost connection I would also loose the abilty to see any scans that had took place.

I have a lot of mods istalled and I also use

CommNet Constellation

if that makes a difference though it could have been when I used Remotech but I had to remove that mod for reasons.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 5:15 PM, Jason Kerman said:

Hi! I found an issue with scans with the light requirement. It always looks at the position of Kerbol to determine which part of the planet is under light, which can cause annoying issues in planet mods adding other stars. This bug can be reproduced with many planet packs. Is there any possibility to fix it? Thank you!

This doesn't really fix it in the sense of it properly tracking sunlight from other stars, but if you're ok just removing the light requirements from those parts entirely, the following MM patch will do so:

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[SCANsat]]:FINAL {
  @MODULE[SCANsat],* { @requireLight = false }
}

On 11/12/2022 at 2:07 PM, New Horizons said:

Is this mod still a thing in KSP 1.12.3? What about performance issues?

I'm running it in 1.12.4 and all the functionality works, but I think I'm going to have to uninstall it because it absolutely murders performance in the map and tracking station -- setting up one Scansat orbiter took my framerate from 80-100 to 20, and setting up three reduced it to multiple seconds per frame. It's a shame because I love scansat's maps but it makes the game effectively unplayable.

It's possible that this is a bad interaction with one of my other mods, like RemoteTech or Space Dust, so I think it's worth trying it yourself and seeing if it works better for you.