[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

Maybe someone here can help. I remember things like water, uranite and other resources being in the overlay list - I have specific locations marked with active mining. When I boot up old saves for instance I can mine uranite and water in a location but it's not on the resource overlay list. I won't add a whole list of mods, but can mods remove resources from ScanSat? Maybe I have to use a different scanner now? All of my scans are at 100% except Jool and Eeloo.

EDIT: Narrowed it down to KSPIE

Ju1IUkW.png

No output log attached because I am not experiencing a crash.

Edited by shifty303
Found cause

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 12:36 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Here's a strange one....  I'm using the Alternis Kerbol system, where all the stock planets have been moved around and given new, custom surfaces, but still all have the same names.  In this system, everything works EXCEPT the Big Map.  The small map works fine, fills in during scans, etc., and displays the custom terrain.  The % complete works and so do the science reports of the various scanners.

The problem with the Big Map is that the "Celestial Bodies" drop-down only lists the sun and Jool.  For instance, I just scanned Bop (a moon of Kerbin).  I watched this happen in the Small Map and all looks fine.  However, when I opened the Big Map, Bop wasn't on the list so I can't see the map there.  I've used SCANsat with other custom planet sets like OPM and never had this issue.

Is this a known thing with a workaround?  Thanks.

@dmagic This is apparently still an issue because I came here looking for answers on why my big map doesn't work in Alternis Kerbol. I had this issue with 1.7.3 and thought if I upgraded to 1.8.1 it might fix the problem. Still no dice. I will try your workaround of scanning Jool and the Sun next and report back. Do you need any logs to help track this down? I am running the current release version of Scansat.

Followup. I've got a sat in orbit of Jool and had just started to get a scan of Sun but burned up. I now have both of those in the big map celestial body drop down but not Kerbin which is at 100% scan on two different map types.

Edited by birdog357
added info

1 hour ago, MaximilianPs said:

You're right, but CKAN won't install it and 'cause of that utility I've become lazy :D

You can mark mods from older KSP versions to be compatible with latest KSP in CKAN and it will allow you to install it.

So, it appears adding Scansat to my career midway through the game wasn't a good idea - the contracts got extremely confused. I already had Contract Configurator installed, as I'm using Probes Before Crew and the associated contract pack. When I installed Scansat, I was immediately offered contracts for resource, biome and low-resolution altimetry for Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus. So I accepted and completed these contracts, and got the rewards for doing them. But when Iook at the Scansat contracts in Mission Control, I get this.

5PYsvdJ.png

It seems like I was supposed to get these contracts near the beginning of the game, but since I installed the mod mid-game, it's just shoved all of the Kerbin system scanning contracts at me, and then got confused. Now it isn't letting me progress to high-resolution and ore scanning contracts. I would quite like to continue playing with Scansat's contracts, so any ideas to get me out of this annoying bind?

Edit: So, I went back to a quicksave before I started any of the scans and I stumbled on something confusing. For all of the SCANsat contracts, one of the pre-requisites is 'Must have scanned less than 70% of the target body'. This means that as soon as you finish a biome scan (for example), every other scan contract for that body is 'invalidated' in Mission Control. The contracts that you've already accepted are still technically completable (you get the rewards when you do it) but any that you haven't accepted for that particular celestial body - perhaps because you haven't unlocked a particular scanner yet - seem to be un-acceptable, and therefore uncompletable. I'm not sure whether this is a bug caused by me installing this mod halfway through a game, or if I'm just being stupid. Help would be appreciated :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

SCANsat version 20.0 is out; get it on Space Dock.

This version has changes made to scanning database format

• Requires one-time update of saved scan data which will be performed the first time KSP loads a save file with SCANsat v20 or higher installed
  • Downgrading to an older version of SCANsat will results in a loss of data

This version has a complete overhaul of the scanners, with 15 amazing new parts by @Nertea!

There is also a new visual map scanner mode, along with an overhaul of the scanner type combinations and scanner properties. Some scanners now require that the surface be in daylight to function.

Many changes have been made to SCANsat resource scanning.

• Scanning is now handled by 2 sets of new parts: 3 high resolution resource scanners: and 2 combined multispectral scanners for low resolution resource scanning (stock scanner parts can also be used as before)
  • All resource types are scanned by a single scanner type now, instead of having different scanner types for each resource
  • Various changes have been made to how low and high resolution resource scans are differentiated
  • Contracts have been updated for the new resource scan types

Additional information has been added to the scanner part right-click menus and the VAB/SPH part list info box.

The KSPedia entry has been fixed and has several new entries and new info.

And lots of various minor improvements and bug fixes have been addressed. See the first post for a full list of changes.

Note that other mods adding SCANsat parts may need changes to function correctly.

The new scanner parts; low resolution altimetry scanners:

5PdgKp3.png

fMBhAFM.png

High res altimetry scanners:

nbWCyAW.png

rfAmoe0.png

AQUm1V4.png

Multispectral scanners:

nrzFAQl.png

S1M7yXq.png

Tv9KcYK.png

High res resource scanners:

WqfE7hf.png

vKqhimg.png

BYpkriO.png

High res visual scanners:

xwavFuf.png

hOzO6Oq.png

ap0PLJA.png

BTDT:
8MN58V6.png

The full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/qXQ22f4

New visual maps:

1ysWdIq.png

YKGKdOp.png

New PAW info groups:

73ERSuJ.png

BAi2VcM.png

1 minute ago, DMagic said:

This version has changes made to scanning database format

• Requires one-time update of saved scan data which will be performed the first time KSP loads a save file with SCANsat v20 or higher installed
  • Downgrading to an older version of SCANsat will results in a loss of data

This version has a complete overhaul of the scanners, with 15 amazing new parts by @Nertea!

There is also a new visual map scanner mode, along with an overhaul of the scanner type combinations and scanner properties. Some scanners now require that the surface be in daylight to function.

Many changes have been made to SCANsat resource scanning.

• Scanning is now handled by 2 sets of new parts: 3 high resolution resource scanners: and 2 combined multispectral scanners for low resolution resource scanning (stock scanner parts can also be used as before)
  • All resource types are scanned by a single scanner type now, instead of having different scanner types for each resource
  • Various changes have been made to how low and high resolution resource scans are differentiated
  • Contracts have been updated for the new resource scan types

Additional information has been added to the scanner part right-click menus and the VAB/SPH part list info box.

The KSPedia entry has been fixed and has several new entries and new info.

And lots of various minor improvements and bug fixes have been addressed. See the first post for a full list of changes.

Note that other mods adding SCANsat parts may need changes to function correctly.

The new scanner parts; low resolution altimetry scanners:

High res altimetry scanners:

Multispectral scanners:

High res resource scanners:

High res visual scanners:

BTDT:

The full album is here: https://imgur.com/a/qXQ22f4

New visual maps:

New PAW info groups:

BadS update. Did that long standing bug with the big map in Kerbol ReKerjiggered get fixed?

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

Pre-emptive note to CKAN users: A problem has been identified with this release that has prevented it from being added to CKAN, and a fix submitted here:

Please be patient and post any CKAN related issues or questions on the CKAN thread as always, not on mod threads:

Wow, I have been eagerly awaiting this update to 20.0, great work!

I noticed a couple of things in the 19.3 beta that seem to have carried over into this update, so I wanted to give you a little bit of feedback about the new parts.

It seems more balanced to have its MS-R Multispec best altitude be more like 250-300 km, since it has such a narrow FOV and maybe move it down a notch on the tech tree to spaceExploration (from advExploration) since it is an entry level orbital instrument. That would put it in line with the first orbital low-res Altimetry instrument, and also space it out from the other more specialized high-res instruments later in the tech tree.

If you also move the SCAN-R to advExploration (from scienceTech) the entry point for your high-res Visual, Altimetry, and Resource scans line up better. Similarly, if you move the SCAN-R2 to scienceTech (from advScienceTech) then your Tier 2 scans line up as well.

If you also give the VS-1 and SCAN-R a slightly higher max altitude, more like 250 km the operational ranges ranges for all the Tier 1 hi-res instruments would line up better.

All the models look great, except the SAR-X antenna, which is just a bland grey rectangle, maybe you can reuse the old RADAR model that extends out into a dished antenna? I always liked the way that one looked aesthetically. 

All that being said, you have done a wonderful job with this mod, both maintaining and upgrading it through these many years. Job well done!

Edited by Smurfalot

44 minutes ago, Tabris said:

@DMagic

is this update backwards compatible to previous KSP version or is it 1.9.1+ ?

The (syntactically valid portion of the) version file says:

"KSP_VERSION_MIN":{
         "MAJOR":1,
         "MINOR":8,
         "PATCH":1
     },
     "KSP_VERSION_MAX":{
         "MAJOR":1,
         "MINOR":9,
         "PATCH":8
     }

@Tabris Most of the testing and development for this version was done using KSP 1.8.1 (while generally building against the KSP 1.9.1 assembly files). So it should work fine in 1.8 and above.

@HebaruSan Thanks, I've updated the remote file and will fix the local file in the next version.

@Smurfalot Thanks for the suggestions, further scanner balance was one of things I was still looking to work on for this update.

@hoover2701 I'm not sure the extent to how Kerbalism interacts with SCANsat. I know it can control the scanner activation in the background based on EC availability (or did at some point), that should still be working fine, I tried to make all of those externally used methods maintain their functionality. The new visual scans are just a different scan type value.

The bigger change is that the scanner type value format has changed from a 32bit integer to a 16bit integer. This means there are only 16 possible scanner types available instead of 32, but that isn't an issue, since all of the high resolution resource scan types have been collapsed into a single type. Using a smaller integer type allows for better performance and less data needing to be stored in the save file.

@birdog357 Which planet pack are you using? I assume this in KSP 1.8.1.

10 hours ago, DMagic said:

@birdog357 I'll have to look into that again. It should have been fixed a long time ago, but there may still be a problem.

@MaxPeck The old models are still there, just hidden by default in the part list.

Will existing crafts with the old scanners will still work as they used to pre-update, and only the new parts will use the new mechanics, or will crafts carrying the old parts after the update be carrying the new mechanics as well?

(I guess this may also apply to other mods with SCANSat functionalities, e.g. your own science pack where the experiments double as SCANSat scanners--will they carry the old mechanic or the new (or not even work at all)  if I update just SCANSat to the latest?)